• 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SpSt sols1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

One of the things throwing me are the transistors associated with the solenoids - I can't seem to locate them.

When Williams added the Aux power supply they added 8 Tip36a transistors to switch high current coils instead of snubber relay boards. For this game coils # 3a 4a 6a 7a 13 and SPL #2 and #4 are controlled by both the CPU transistors and the Aux power supply transistors.

cody_chunn posted the page from the manual which shows the CPU transistors for the coils you are testing. And page 61 of the manual shows the other 8 transistors on the Aux power supply.

For example to troubleshoot coil 3a you need to test transistor Q-32 on the CPU board and Q-1, D-3 on the aux board for shorts that would lock on a coil and blow the fuse.

You can divide the number of coils in half by removing J12 on the aux p/s and testing for ohms on pin 6 and pin 12 of the connector to ground. One of this pins will read low ohms @ 1-2 ohms.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

I did not find Q75 on the CPU schematic, but I'm sure I will find it on the board.

It is on page 1 of 4 on the right hand side of the page. The 6 SS TIPs are in a group by the flipper relay on the CPU board.

#10 6 years ago

Here is a tip, system 11 boards are basically the same so you can use schematics for the CPU from a game that the printing is better. So try WW set.

#11 6 years ago

Tip #2 replace Q-32 with a TIP 102 instead of a TIP 122 as it is 60 percent stronger. And any time a coil locks on long enough to burn the fuse you need to replace the diode and check the coil and sleeve.

#13 6 years ago

Tip #3. I always pull the fuse for the problem coil before testing. After powering on the game I then check for problems by touching the fuse to the holder. If it sparks then I have more work to do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Olympia, WA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider grumpy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-station-blows-fuse?tu=grumpy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.