A465E6D6-57AB-4F51-9174-EF06A989DBCB (resized).jpeg
20C0A378-28D4-403C-B8A4-78419C91D2C1 (resized).jpeg
44C11002-82EF-4420-9CBA-A8143EF4C798 (resized).jpeg
gate 2 (resized).jpg
gate (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg
20210807_105741 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

I am trying to help a friend who is not local. He has had a Williams Space Station for years and it is his favorite pin, others pins have come and gone, but Space Station has stayed in his small line up.

Even though I have played it may times when I visit him I did not realize that the two ball one-way ball gates on his machine were both poorly made replacements.

The one has never worked well and the other one just entirely broke, a photo is attached that he sent to me. This broken, poorly made replacement is so bad I don't want to use it as a guide.

I see the part listed online, #12-6752, but no one appears to stock it domestically and it looks like a simple part to bend out of TIG stainless steel welding filler rod (a great thin round stock if anyone is looking for a material for wire gates in pinball games).

I can find lots of photos of the gate online, but no dimensions with the photos, I attached two of the photos I found.

I wanted to bend him up two replacements and try to get them as close as possible so he only would need to do fine adjustment work to make them fit.

-Can someone please put a caliper/micrometer on the gate wire and tell me how many thousandths the wire gate is in diameter?

-Also, can someone post a photo with the gate on a piece of standard graph/grid paper, rulers in two dimensions, or even just some of the measurements so that I would use it as a pattern would be very helpful (including the length and angle of the bent arm that makes the gate only open one-way). OR could someone mark up one of the attached images with the dimensions (even a few of the major dimensions would be fine and I can estimate the rest)?

I know I am not the only person looking for replacements for this unique gate that seems to commonly break, many people would benefit from this info being posted for others to use.

Please let me know if I should be listing any other name for this part so others in the future can find this posting if they are looking for this information.

Thanks everyone for the help.
20210807_105741 (resized).jpgball gate (resized).jpggate (resized).jpg
gate 2 (resized).jpg

#2 3 months ago

Is this the same design as the upper field gates? I had a Space Station years ago that I made replacement gates with a wire bender for upper playfield. I think I might have one around some place. If it is the same I will try and hunt it down in one of the money boxes of junk.

#3 3 months ago

Looks real similar to the gates on f-14 that break.perhaps one would work with minor modifications.

#4 3 months ago

Thanks for the replies.

From what I have read, it is an uncommon gate width.

If some could tell me the width between the two verticals of the gate bracket (the part with the holes that the gate mounts into) I can scale the attached picture to the correct size and use it as a guide for bending the wire. I am surprised that I can find several very good photos of the gate online, but no dimensions.

Would someone let me know the diameter of the wire and that distance between the verticals of the gate bracket (or any single dimension on the gate so I can scale the image I have of the gate to the correct size).

Thanks for the help everyone.

#5 3 months ago

I made one out of a coat hanger for my Space Station, but I no longer have the game - I remember those being hard to find also.

#6 3 months ago

You are in luck; I have my space Station totally torn down at the moment. I will note that the gates on the right in the group picture are a bit thinner rod material than the ones on the left. Calipers are on the thicker rod (0.05”) of a gate from the group on the left.

20C0A378-28D4-403C-B8A4-78419C91D2C1 (resized).jpegA465E6D6-57AB-4F51-9174-EF06A989DBCB (resized).jpeg44C11002-82EF-4420-9CBA-A8143EF4C798 (resized).jpeg156E13F2-9F61-4914-B1E3-B83FCCF78FA1 (resized).jpeg

#7 3 months ago

jeffc: Thank you so much. That is just what I needed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside