7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Drano
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hey Guys,
I purchased a player's Space Shuttle from mitch_a a few weeks ago.
When I went to see the machine it seemed to play fine. There was this annoying sound issue though. Certain sounds just kept playing over and over. I don't really know SS very well so I have to claim ignorance on my part. I knew it didn't sound right, but I figured it wasn't anything serious. I think Mitch suggested that it was a stuck switch or something?

I had to keep the game folded for a couple of weeks and went on vacation. When I finally got back and set it up something went horribly wrong and all my displays blew! Upon further inspection it looks like the entire HV section went down. There was damage on the power supply and also on the display driver board. One of the UDN chips was toast and they are no longer available Chances are one of the displays shorted. I guess the machine didn't like it's new home. So, I've decided to order some LED displays from XPIN. I also got a playfield overlay from Ed Cheung so I figured, "in for a penny... in for a pound"

After all that went down and the lovely smell of burnt electronics had cleared, the game was essentially still playable and I was able to look into the sounds a bit more. It seems there is no stuck switch and what's really going on is that the machine has some pre-existing sound problem. Since I have no working displays and cannot run any diagnostics, I figured I would post the issue here in case anyone with more system 9 knowledge than me would recognize the issue and point out some possible places to start. Once I get my displays I can try running some of the diagnostics too.

The issue goes something like this. Game starts, one of the inserts is lit up (SHUTTLE value) and the noise associated to it just plays in an annoying endless loop. If I hit a certain switch or make it up the right ramp to change the insert value, maybe another noise starts and then it won't stop either. Sometimes if I hit an out-lane switch it'll stop, but then it starts again when a different switch is hit. The last time I played around with it I didn't even recall hearing any of the background music... just the playfield sounds.

Maybe it's settings related, but my money is on a faulty PIA or something.

Please let me know if anyone has come across this type of issue before?
Thanks!

#3 7 years ago

Hey there.
My buddy turned on the machine while I was doing something else; but he did say the displays flashed before they died and that's we let out the magic smoke

Both the display controller board and the power supply were smoking. Power supply was repaired but the controller blew a very rare UDN chip. I'd just as soon remove all high voltage issues and go with Xpin displays anyway.

As for the MPU, it has a remote battery pack so I'm not suspecting corrosion... but I'll take a closer look.

Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Drano.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-wont-shut-up?tu=Drano and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.