(Topic ID: 315145)

Space Shuttle takes 2 to 3 minutes to boot.

By Pinwizkid

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinwizkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

I've got a real head scratcher. I've dealt with games not booting before, but my Space Shuttle has developed a unique booting issue. The game will not boot from a cold start and takes anywhere from to 2 to 3 minutes before it warms up and fully boots. During this time the CPU display indicator will say 7, but after warming up it will flip over to 0. I'll occasionally see some random lamp strobing and coils pulsing before it finally boots. After that, the game works fine with no issue or resets.

Here's everything I've tried so far:
1) I changed the power supply to a new Rottendog board from another machine. No change.
2) I installed an inkochnito board which replaces the big blue cap and bridge rectifiers. No change.
3) I swapped CPUs with my Comet. The issue is gone, so I know it's on the CPU.
4) On my original CPU, I changed the three 100uf caps and the 22uf cap in the power section of the CPU by the battery pack. No change.
5) I reflowed this entire section as well as all of the connector headers. Still the issue remains.

I suspected that the connectors might the next thing to change, but again it works fine with my Comet's CPU installed, so I don't think that would make a difference. Does anyone have any idea what to try next?

#2 1 year ago

Because you said it would show a "7" on the mpu during boot up I looked around and found this topic. Hope it helps in repairing the great machine.
-Mike

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-wont-boot-error-code-7-williams-system-9

#3 1 year ago

Someone on facebook said the U21 Crystal is most likely the culprit. I'm going to replace it and report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-takes-2-to-3-minutes-to-boot?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.