You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fe4cdc75f7cd03601bcc62a83f4d4afb3c3e62be (resized).jpg
IMG_2960.jpg
IMG_2959.jpg
#1 5 years ago

I'm fixing a space shuttle for a friend and I'm a bit of a newbie on pinball repair, I've only ever restored arcade games before this. The single drop target for "T" that blocks the multiball ramp is not working. I followed the troubleshooting guide I found online for Williams system 9 and the coil tested good, the diode tested good. I then did what the guide said and shorted the collector leg for the transistor to ground and that did fire the solenoid. After that point the guide just says "Check the rest of the circuit" Being a controlled solenoid the rest of the circuit seems to be another transistor and a 7408 "and" gate. Not really sure what to check and what I'm looking for, for all the other tests the guide is straight forward as to what you're looking for (voltages, pulses etc.) but for this it just says check it. Anyone have any experience with this sort of controlled solenoid on system 9?

Thanks.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Tronn1982:

I'm fixing a space shuttle for a friend and I'm a bit of a newbie on pinball repair, I've only ever restored arcade games before this. The single drop target for "T" that blocks the multiball ramp is not working. I followed the troubleshooting guide I found online for Williams system 9 and the coil tested good, the diode tested good. I then did what the guide said and shorted the collector leg for the transistor to ground and that did fire the solenoid. After that point the guide just says "Check the rest of the circuit" Being a controlled solenoid the rest of the circuit seems to be another transistor and a 7408 "and" gate. Not really sure what to check and what I'm looking for, for all the other tests the guide is straight forward as to what you're looking for (voltages, pulses etc.) but for this it just says check it. Anyone have any experience with this sort of controlled solenoid on system 9?
Thanks.

What do you mean by not working? Doesn't drop? Doesn't register? Doesn't go back up? Explain what happens and we can go from there.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Tronn1982:

Not really sure what to check and what I'm looking for, for all the other tests the guide is straight forward as to what you're looking for (voltages, pulses etc.) but for this it just says check it.

Probably easiest to just replace the 2n4401 pre-driver transistor and the 7408 if you can do the board work. you can also go in there with a logic probe to try and narrow down the issue but

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

What do you mean by not working? Doesn't drop? Doesn't register? Doesn't go back up? Explain what happens and we can go from there.

Its supposed to engage the solenoid to pop up the target when the game starts, after you hit it, it pops back up after a certain length of time or when multiball ends. The target registers a drop (The switch underneath is fine) but the game doesn't pop it back up during game start or any other time (I've manually popped it up and triggered it to see).

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Probably easiest to just replace the 2n4401 pre-driver transistor and the 7408 if you can do the board work. you can also go in there with a logic probe to try and narrow down the issue but

I'm confident I can do the board work, just wanted to be able to test the parts. I do have a logic probe and used it to check the memory protect circuit as it was stuck on, just wasn't sure what I was looking for it regards to readings. You're right, if that will fix the problem I guess I can just replace both parts, add in a socket for the 7408 as well.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Tronn1982:

I'm confident I can do the board work, just wanted to be able to test the parts. I do have a logic probe and used it to check the memory protect circuit as it was stuck on, just wasn't sure what I was looking for it regards to readings. You're right, if that will fix the problem I guess I can just replace both parts, add in a socket for the 7408 as well.

If you do have a logic probe you can check the pin going from the 7408 to the 2n4401, see if it goes high when the solenoid should fire. Same with the connection between the 2n4401 and the main transistor. It could also be the main transistor that's bad, if the signal going to it is going high like it should.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If you do have a logic probe you can check the pin going from the 7408 to the 2n4401, see if it goes high when the solenoid should fire. Same with the connection between the 2n4401 and the main transistor. It could also be the main transistor that's bad, if the signal going to it is going high like it should.

Perfect thank you, I'll check that out!

3 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

Kind of off and on topic. Do you have a pic of that centre 'T' drop target? I ask because my recently-purchased SS does NOT have the correct drop target in there, and I'm trying to determine if the real one is thick or just "thick at the top". It looks like someone put one of the tunnel drop targets in instead. As a result, the ball keeps getting stuck behind the 'T' target since there's a gap where there shouldn't be. The problem is I can't seem to find the thicker drop target online at Marco's (as an example).

IMG_2959.jpgIMG_2959.jpgIMG_2960.jpgIMG_2960.jpg
#9 5 years ago

The correct one is made to be rolled over, and is thicker at the top

fe4cdc75f7cd03601bcc62a83f4d4afb3c3e62be (resized).jpgfe4cdc75f7cd03601bcc62a83f4d4afb3c3e62be (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

Yeah, I found the part number for it too, but it appears to be out of stock everywhere. Dang.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-t-drop-target and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.