New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 80540)

Space Shuttle switch problem - need a bit of repair advice

By Willy39

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 9.22.55 AM.png

#1 6 years ago

Having an issue with the following switches all on the WHT-BLU wire.

14 - Left flipper return lane
38 - Ramp bulls eye
30 - "S" lane
22 - "L" target

Basically when one of the switches is activated in test mode, they toggle through all the above switches like all were being pressed. And in game mode when you hit one of the switches, it scores as if ALL of the above switches listed above were pressed. If the ball goes through the "S" lane, it scores the "S" lane plus all the other switches. The S lane is lit and scored, the L target is lit and score, and the ramp bulls eye target is activated which changes the score for lighting up S-H-U-T-T-L-E.

So somehow all these switches are attached. I did do a visual check and found no loose or broken wires or diodes. Also nothing was touching the connections that shouldn't be. Any ideas? Problem on board? Any ideas of a resolution? Thanks for the help.

#3 6 years ago

Wow the pinball rehab writeup is pretty good. Check there, save me some time typing that crap out. =P

Basic idea is... figure out if it is on the pf or driver board first.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Wow the pinball rehab writeup is pretty good.

Hey barakandl, you don't have to sound so surprised.

Willy, work through the pinball rehab article and then post any questions here. It's oriented towards WPC, but the theory and troubleshooting are the same.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the help! I will take a look.

#6 6 years ago

Update on my switch issue. Checked all diodes and they are fine. There are no visible grounds or wires out and nothing touching that should not be touching. Below are the switches in that row.

6 - left coin
14 - Left flipper return lane
22 - "L" target
30 - "S" lane
38 - Ramp bulls eye
46 - Center Standup switch

When I test out the switches this is what happens to each switch test

press 6 - only fires 6
press 14 - fires 14 and 22
press 22 - fires 22 and 30
press 30 - fires 30 and 38
press 38 - fires 38 and 46
press 46 - only fires 46

Also, I changed the diode on the 36 ball shooter lane as it was broken. Now 36 is always firing in switch test mode even though it is not pressed. Thinking separate issue?

Anyone have any further ideas on either of the problems? I am uploading Switch matrix table.Screen Shot 2014-02-14 at 9.22.55 AM.png

#7 6 years ago

Here's a few possibilities from Clay's guides:

Row wires shorted together:
When two row wires are shorted together, and no switches are closed, the switch test will show no closed switches. When any switch on either row is closed, another switch on the same column as the closed switch will also show as closed. For example, if rows 1 and 4 are shorted, closing a switch in row 1 column 3 will also show a closed switch on row 4 column 3.

Shorted diode on a switch:
A shorted switch diode will show no problems when only that switch is opened or closed. However if additional switches in that row or other columns are closed, false switch readings can be shown.

When I was working with my switch problems, I checked continuity from the board through all the switches in the affected row and found a connector issue.

#8 6 years ago

Can you manually open the switch and make it stop? If so then the switch needs adjustment.

When a switch shows open and you know it's fine it usually means the diode on the next switch in the matrix is bad. You need to check both directions in the matrix.

At least I think that's how it works.

If it's not those then it's probably a short somewhere. You can isolate the short by how many switches it affects.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

press 6 - only fires 6
press 46 - only fires 46

The most recent description of the problem is completely different than the first description (below).

Quoted from Willy39:

Basically when one of the switches is activated in test mode, they toggle through all the above switches like all were being pressed.

In order to provide advice, I need to know which one is occurring.

#10 6 years ago

After a closer look and more time troubleshooting. The latest post from earlier today is the actual problem occurring.

press 6 - only fires 6
press 46 - only fires 46

#11 6 years ago

That pattern does not look like a typical switch matrix diode reversed/shorted problem. So first I would use the following procedure to determine if the problem is on the board or the playfield:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_problems

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Sale Pending!
Fairfield, IA
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 135.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside