(Topic ID: 328866)

Space Shuttle switch issues?

By pinball_ed

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

My Space Shuttle fires outhole coil multiple (6-8) times upon initial power on, boots up ok and goes into attract mode as it should. Then you can start a game and kicks ball into shooter lane but no speech (should say "ready pilot one"). You can play ball one fine (even get ball captured for multi-ball, will kick out another ball to shooter lane and say "ready pilot one"). Once ball one is lost it just sits in outhole and will never advance to ball two. Recently had Ed Cheung check the boards and all ok. Not sure what is going on, thanks in advance.

#2 1 year ago

Could be a bad connector that seats onto the header pins.
You could have a broken diode on the switch or you could have a broken wire on an adjacent switch in the matrix.

Grab a manual, find the switch matrix chart. Look at the switches that are in the same row and the same column. You'll be looking for a possible broken wire or a broken diode.
I'd start there.

#3 1 year ago

Ok, will do GLSP3022, thanks. Also want to mention in switch test 3 switches come up, 9, 20, and 47. Number 9 is the outhole. The other two are upper playfield switches and are not in the same row or column as the outhole switch. I am wondering if maybe one of the 3 ramp switches is not working causing it to "look" for the missing ball? The outhole switch, diode, and connections seem to be ok. I have not tested it with DMM nor checked other switches within its row or column. Will keep posted, thanks again.

#4 1 year ago

Your 2 stuck switches #20 and 47 are for the T target in front of the ramp and the upper right standup switch. I would raise the playfield and make sure those switches are not closed which could be causing the issue.

#5 1 year ago

Thanks EZED for the response. I will check those switches when I get a chance.

2 weeks later
#6 1 year ago

Found the problem. Outhole switch diode was shorted. Replaced and now we can complete a game. Still have a couple other issues ("U" switch in USA at top of playfield not working, one pop bumper not firing, and "air lock" (outlane gate) not opening when all 3 drop targets are down, but hey, we are up and running. Thanks for all the advice so far and in the future, Ed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-switch-issues-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.