DSC04610.JPG
DSC04621.JPG
DSC04613.JPG
DSC04579.JPG
Aug12_2012_6.JPG
Aug12_2012_10.JPG
Aug12_2012_9.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Picked up this piece in need of a new playfield, new displays, and some TLC. It was my first playfield replacement, and the CPR playfield wasn't perfect, especially when it came to mounting the new ramp. Replacing the playfield took about 30 hours - I tumbled and polished all the metal pieces as well. I got the set of new plastics which really kept up the great look of the new playfield.

Learned an expensive lesson as well - I wired one of the solenoids the wrong way, and had to get the board repaired. Ouch, won't do that again!

I think it turned out pretty nice! Now I'm looking for a new project to keep me occupied during the winter.

Todd in NJ

Aug12_2012_9.JPGAug12_2012_9.JPG Aug12_2012_10.JPGAug12_2012_10.JPG Aug12_2012_6.JPGAug12_2012_6.JPG DSC04579.JPGDSC04579.JPG DSC04613.JPGDSC04613.JPG DSC04621.JPGDSC04621.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Some more pics - moving the playfield components - lots of sweat that day!

DSC04610.JPGDSC04610.JPG

#3 11 years ago

New playfield, decals and plastics - nice!

DSC04616.JPGDSC04616.JPG DSC04636.JPGDSC04636.JPG DSC04643.JPGDSC04643.JPG DSC04644.JPGDSC04644.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Final Product! Taaaa Daaaaahh!

DSC04634.JPGDSC04634.JPG

#5 11 years ago

Very nice! That old PF looks like it never saw a single cleaning and the touch up was done over all that dirt and grime. She turned out to be a beauty, good job!

#6 11 years ago

Excellent work. I hope to do this someday, though I am completely intimidated y the process. Do you have more documentation of the project? I would love to learn more about how you managed drilling the holes and getting everything lined up properly.

Shawn

#7 11 years ago

Sweet!

I thought my firepower playfield looked bad.

Well worth the effort, well done.

#8 11 years ago

I have a TON of pics of this teardown/swap. Approx 500-ish from mine.

#9 11 years ago

I am curious what condition the balls were in, by the look of that old PF I am guessing they threw in a few lumps of coal and called it good.

#10 11 years ago

Excellent work.

I know what you mean about the new heavy duty ramps fitting.

Here is the solution I had to perform on a bunch of Space Shuttles:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I am curious what condition the balls were in, by the look of that old PF I am guessing they threw in a few lumps of coal and called it good.

The un-powerball.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

The pinball that were in there immediately made their way to the trash. Lots of rust/spots of corrosion.

Todd in NJ

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Excellent work.
I know what you mean about the new heavy duty ramps fitting.
Here is the solution I had to perform on a bunch of Space Shuttles:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-repo-ramp-modification-guide

Thanks. I used a hand chisel to do pretty much the same thing you did. I remember reading your thread about it, but I just could NOT bring myself to put any kind of power cutting tool near that playfield. It took a little longer, but the results were the same.

Todd

#14 11 years ago

Very nice work!

Damn, can't believe I still haven't found a good project Space Shuttle.

I'm going to post a WTB thread.

#15 11 years ago

I'm always keeping my eyes open for another one to pop up but all that is listed in Northern Ca is one near Sac and the guy wants $1700..... Seems a little high, perhaps that's the reason it's been listed since last October. If I see one pop I'll post here or send you a PM RobT.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

I'm always keeping my eyes open for another one to pop up but all that is listed in Northern Ca is one near Sac and the guy wants $1700..... Seems a little high, perhaps that's the reason it's been listed since last October. If I see one pop I'll post here or send you a PM RobT.

That's very cool, I appreciate that!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Very nice work!
Damn, can't believe I still haven't found a good project Space Shuttle.
I'm going to post a WTB thread.

Nice resto on the Space shuttle pin!!!!

Rob I am also looking for one also, and saw one on Craig's list northen Ca. a while back for around 300.00 or so. I tryed to buy it but he never responded back to my E-mails. I remember it was missing the backglass but I have a spare NOS one, so I was excited.

Good luck on your hunt soner or later one will come up for you.

Rob

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Nice resto on the Space Shuttle pin!!!!
Rob I am also looking for one also, and saw one on Craig's list northen Ca. a while back for around 300.00 or so. I tryed to buy it but he never responded back to my E-mails. I remember it was missing the backglass but I have a spare NOS one, so I was excited.
Good luck on your hunt soner or later one will come up for you.
Rob

That's because I bought it. Got it for $380 and poured about $600 into it, needed a new main board, a few switches, extensive cleaning and translite but it has a great PF and plays beautifully! Let me know if you want to part with that NOS backglass, my Ed Cheung repro looks great but I'm always in the market for a NOS at the right price.

#19 11 years ago

Toddwino do you have issues with the ball wanting to go into orbit when striking that Shuttle ramp drop down target? I had my PF glass off one day when I was doing some cleaning and the ball launched about 2 feet off the playfield and landed 4 feet behind me, I don't dare play it without the glass in place anymore.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from 72Devilz:

Toddwino do you have issues with the ball wanting to go into orbit when striking that Shuttle ramp drop down target? I had my PF glass off one day when I was doing some cleaning and the ball launched about 2 feet off the playfield and landed 4 feet behind me, I don't dare play it without the glass in place anymore.

Exactly! It wasn't really an issues without the glass in place, but when I put th glass back, it seeed like the ball was smacking the glass whenever you missed the ramp shot. I replaced the two yellow angled bumper pads with the straight pads, and it doesn't happen anymore. The drop target itself doesn't cause the ball to jump, just the angles bumpers behind it. I thought the use of the satellites on the bank of three drop targets ad using the "Captain America" sheild on the "T" target was a nice mix of artistic license. Swapping out the old, yellowed bumpercaps for the clear red was anice touch too.

Thanks

Todd in NJ

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from toddwino:

Exactly! It wasn't really an issues without the glass in place, but when I put th glass back, it seeed like the ball was smacking the glass whenever you missed the ramp shot. I replaced the two yellow angled bumper pads with the straight pads, and it doesn't happen anymore.

Do me a huge favor. I need pics from you guys of what posts are SUPPOSED to be there in front of the ramp? I have these wierd posts that have bigger area at the top, and the ONLY way I can get the tapered bumpers on there is to cut them to the hole, pop them on the post, then superglue the cut back together. It works. It works great, actually, but that can't possibly be what's supposed to go there.

#22 11 years ago

Do me a huge favor. I need pics from you guys of what posts are SUPPOSED to be there in front of the ramp? I have these wierd posts that have bigger area at the top, and the ONLY way I can get the tapered bumpers on there is to cut them to the hole, pop them on the post, then superglue the cut back together. It works. It works great, actually, but that can't possibly be what's supposed to go there.

Here's what I did to get the bumpers onto the posts - I took a grip clamp, and lined up the post and the rubber. Then I gently applied pressure to get the bumper onto the post. It entails taking out the metal post, but it worked! Even though the picture shows a thinner bumper, this worked really well with the fatter bumpers that are all over the place on the playfield.

Todd in NJ

DSC04682.JPGDSC04682.JPG

#23 11 years ago

That's a good idea, LOL. I tried pliers and such, and I always just ended up tearing the stupid thing. If the superglue trick didn't leave a thin visible line where dirt can make it stand out really bad, I would just keep doing what I'm doing.

I just don't get what on earth they were thinking, or if modern replacements just have a tiny aperture compared to what original rubber parts were.

#24 11 years ago

I have the tapered yellow posts as well with the wide taper at top, never had a problem with the ball defection from the posts though. I get the wild deflection when I get a hard hit on the drop target, seems I get the most deflection when I strike the target when shooting from the left flipper, it must have something to do with the offset angle of the drop target.

2 months later
#25 11 years ago

That sure looks sweat, great job. What did Williams use for the playfield clear coat? Mine is worn around the inserts and has worn off in some spots and I would like to keep it from getting worse. Do you know what I should use as a clear coat after painting these spots. Thanks

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

That's a good idea, LOL. I tried pliers and such, and I always just ended up tearing the stupid thing. If the superglue trick didn't leave a thin visible line where dirt can make it stand out really bad, I would just keep doing what I'm doing.
I just don't get what on earth they were thinking, or if modern replacements just have a tiny aperture compared to what original rubber parts were.

I used a tiny bit of dish soap on the rubber to help it slide over the post, It seemed to work really well on my Space Station post by the ramp. Not sure if it's kind of the same thing going on with the shuttle post or not.

Brian

1 week later
#27 10 years ago

Here are the pics of the backglass and cabinet IMG_1844.JPGIMG_1844.JPG IMG_1845.JPGIMG_1845.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-project-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.