(Topic ID: 119380)

Space Shuttle restoration (we have lift off)

By beatmaster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 525 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bumgahdna
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space Shuttle Pinball Restoration - Task List.pdf (PDF preview)
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards1_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Start_button2_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_Start_button_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_1.jpg
Space_Shuttle2.jpg
SS_full_glare_lollll.jpg
first_start.jpg
first_start2.jpg
total_darkness.jpg
getting_closer.jpg
satellite.jpg
satellite2.jpg

There are 525 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
#351 8 years ago

Oh man is that nice. Looks like you have another product if you have a mind to selling them. Is that a color changing strip? I'll be your first customer...with a color changing strip of course. Do you know where on the board to plug it in for 12v power?

#352 8 years ago

no it's not rgb.
on this machine i want everything blue (tilt panel, under the cab, speaker panel and.... shhhhhh not yet , so i bought blue led strips but rgb wouldn't be a problem.

no damn f?%$$# 12 volt.
so what i'm gonna try to do is connect the transfo with the power switch so when you turn the game on, lights turn on, less stress in the board also.

what you see is not the final product, i'm going to make a box for the middle part (larger to hide the strip led) so when you turn left or right you won't see the leds itself and since i'm going to put 2 new speakers i'm going to do something similar, for the same reason.

i'll probably paint the inside of the box (behind the nasa word) silver so when the light is on reflection will be a lot stronger.
i was thinking chrome blue (like the sticker i sent you) for reflection.

might be done tomorrow.

#353 8 years ago

OK..shhhhhhh A led power supply that I could plug into the wall and turn on with a remote seperately wouldn't be a problem for me. It did look like the openings had to be a bit bigger.

#354 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

...It did look like the openings had to be a bit bigger.

the problem is i can't make it bigger, there is absolutely no way.

so bigger bracket/ring/box behind the opening should work fine, it's gonna look better that's for sure.

#355 8 years ago

For the opening for NASA it looks like the side with the N could be wider and the side with the A could be cut to follow the angle of the A to light more evenly. Nothing you can do about the top and bottom led accept maybe scuff the leds with sandpaper to "frost" them a bit or spray them with something.

#356 8 years ago

I dig it. I hope to do something similar on my restoration.

#357 8 years ago

Hey Bob I got the 22mm blue start button installation about 75% completed. I had to drill out the original 7/8 inch hole all the way through then I recessed and enlarged the back of it to about 1-5/8 inch so there was enough width for a 1-1/4 inch washer and the nut with enough room to get a long nose pliers in and tighten the nut. I have power to light it up but I haven't had time to wire it to start a game. Sure does look great lit up and I want to thank you for the idea. Here are some pictures.

The button on the left is 22mm and on the right is 19mm.
IMGA0980.jpgIMGA0980.jpg
IMGA0983.jpgIMGA0983.jpg
IMGA0982.jpgIMGA0982.jpg
IMGA0984.jpgIMGA0984.jpg
IMGA0985.jpgIMGA0985.jpg
IMGA0986.jpgIMGA0986.jpg

#358 8 years ago

nice going paul.
i was surprised that it was that bright connected to 6.3 volts, it sure does look good.

#359 8 years ago

Thanks Bob, I owe it all to you, I just wish I could match your craftsmanship. I found one of these because I thiught I would have to wire it seperately for 12v power for it to light up bright. I tried all the settings and it lit up ok with the 3v and when I tried the 7.5 and above there really wasn't that big of a diff between them and 6v. I then knew 6.3v was going to be acceptable brightness. I found the converter for $10 locally.

Something unrelated to Space Station but using 2 of the power converters are a couple of alt. bb cab stickers that I had mounted on this rigid aluminum stuff called MetalMax and used mini domes for eyes and lit them up. They are on the ceiling between the flat black painted floor joists looking down on T3. Kinda spooky looking having them looking down on you while your playing. This hobby keeps getting funer and funer. I know that's bad grammer and this is bad spelling but hey it's my birthday today so I can do what I want...right.

IMGA0979.jpgIMGA0979.jpg

IMGA0958.jpgIMGA0958.jpg

IMGA0966.jpgIMGA0966.jpg

IMGA0963.jpgIMGA0963.jpg

IMGA0969.jpgIMGA0969.jpg

#360 8 years ago

Happy Birthday Paul! Enjoy your day!
P.S. Don't forget to play some pinball!

#362 8 years ago

happy birthday paul, lots of s... space shuttle and fun. are you retired yet?

i'll have a nice gift for ya ...soon.

#363 8 years ago

today i did a few test with rings and a box to try to hide the leds, didn't like it, i finally came back to the first version.
i removed the small strip of wood at the bottom of nasa and made the hole/rectangle half a inch bigger.
to make it stronger i made 4 holes in the bottom of the metal bracket (under nasa) holes just big enough to have my screws flush.

stainless steel panel is installed, it won't move this is almost final, all i have to do is install the new speakers (have to go get it) and hide the top part of the metal in the 2 circles at the same time and maybe a very thine piece of plexiglass behind the nasa to prevent dust and all.

behind the nasa i used a white 1/4 inch cardboard about a inch away, the nasa look thicker, brighter, almost 3d.
hard to capture with a camera but in person... damn!

here's the pics.

speaker_panel_test.jpgspeaker_panel_test.jpg
Speaker_panel_leds_installed.jpgSpeaker_panel_leds_installed.jpg
speaker_panel_leds_final2.jpgspeaker_panel_leds_final2.jpg
speaker_panel_leds_final.jpgspeaker_panel_leds_final.jpg
speaker_panel_nasa.jpgspeaker_panel_nasa.jpg

#364 8 years ago

Looks great!
It would be impressive if it could go into a low-power state while a game is in play to minimize playfield glare, then go back to full power when in attract mode.
-mof

#365 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Looks great!
It would be impressive if it could go into a low-power state while a game is in play to minimize playfield glare, then go back to full power when in attract mode.
-mof

you are right, when every is done i'll try to find a solution, i have a few glare films here or maybe it won't be that bad.

#366 8 years ago

Deistic Carp, that's awesome! Man, instead of charging for the stainless part I should have bartered an exchange for your light rig. That's simply just too cool!

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

happy birthday paul, lots of s... Space Shuttle and fun. are you retired yet?
i'll have a nice gift for ya ...soon.

Thanks Bob, just watching your craftsmanship is present enough for me, love your ideas. Yeah I retired last year at 62 so I'm not getting full SS but I figured if I waited till the next age 65 I would loose out on about 60k for those 3 years, if I waited till 65 my monthly check would only go up about 4k per year. So 4kx3 years = 12k while 3 years collecting early = 60k. Kind of a no brainer if ya ask me. Paying off the house before retirement has it's rewards.

#368 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

today i did a few test with rings and a box to try to hide the leds, didn't like it, i finally came back to the first version.
i removed the small strip of wood at the bottom of nasa and made the hole/rectangle half a inch bigger.
to make it stronger i made 4 holes in the bottom of the metal bracket (under nasa) holes just big enough to have my screws flush.
stainless steel panel is installed, it won't move this is almost final, all i have to do is install the new speakers (have to go get it) and hide the top part of the metal in the 2 circles at the same time and maybe a very thine piece of plexiglass behind the nasa to prevent dust and all.
behind the nasa i used a white 1/4 inch cardboard about a inch away, the nasa look thicker, brighter, almost 3d.
hard to capture with a camera but in person... damn!
here's the pics.
speaker_panel_test.jpg
Speaker_panel_leds_installed.jpg
speaker_panel_leds_final2.jpg
speaker_panel_leds_final.jpg
speaker_panel_nasa.jpg

Dang that's nice. I'm going to power mine with a power adapter in the picture above, but I will have to turn on the leds seperate from the game but that's no big deal. With the adapter I can chose what volt so I can control the brightness. This is soooo much fun to see how your doing this Bob.

#369 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

..Paying off the house before retirement has it's rewards.

yep i agree, that's what we are going for, house will be paid in 6 years, girlfriend will stop working at 55, i hope I can do the same thing... but i'm the kind of person that can't stop, i can't see myself doing nothing, so that's why we want to travel a lot.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Dang that's nice. I'm going to power mine with a power adapter in the picture above, but I will have to turn on the leds seperate from the game but that's no big deal. With the adapter I can chose what volt so I can control the brightness. This is soooo much fun to see how your doing this Bob.

this is exactly what i'm going to do, instead of the wall it will be in the cabinet.
i'm gonna have a 4 way splitters, backbox, under cabinet, tilt/bell panel (maybe both side) aaaaaaaand .......

#370 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i can't see myself doing nothing, so that's why we want to travel a lot.

Well I'm sure not doing nothing, it's just that I'm doing what "I" want not what someone wants me to do.

I ALWAYS enjoy seeing what you come up with.

#371 8 years ago

Wow, just read the whole thread, nice job, those extra touches are great.

#372 8 years ago

Agreed. I've been watching this as it is one of my all time favorite tables along with a couple others from the pre-DMD era. I want one of these a lot, I'd even trade out my PinBot for it (another favorite) so it's nice to see when one is cared for so well and if not, very well restored like this. I don't have the tools, the talent, or the time for restoration and big fixes so it makes it all the most nice to watch.

#373 8 years ago

Yea this is absolutely superb. Thanks for sharing.

#374 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow, just read the whole thread, nice job, those extra touches are great.

Quoted from Tanooki:

Agreed. I've been watching this as it is one of my all time favorite tables along with a couple others from the pre-DMD era. I want one of these a lot, I'd even trade out my PinBot for it (another favorite) so it's nice to see when one is cared for so well and if not, very well restored like this. I don't have the tools, the talent, or the time for restoration and big fixes so it makes it all the most nice to watch.

Quoted from Sinbad:

Yea this is absolutely superb. Thanks for sharing.

thanks guys, more is coming.

#376 8 years ago

Hey Bob, any chance you have made one of these for your game? If you have I'll buy from you.

IMGA0996.jpgIMGA0996.jpg

#378 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Bob, any chance you have made one of these for your game? If you have I'll buy from you.

IMGA0996.jpg

Mustang heres a link to print your own from Inkochnito's site
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Williams/Williams_STD-634_push_buttons.zip

#379 8 years ago

thanks for the link, i was wondering if it was on that website.

that's what i'm going to use.

#380 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks for the link, i was wondering if it was on that website.
that's what i'm going to use.

Yeah i need to print one up for my high speed restoration.
Im actually looking for the whole shop out label kit for download. If anyone knows where to get it

#381 8 years ago

I can't get it to open. It says "Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created."

#382 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I can't get it to open. It says "Windows cannot complete the extraction. The destination file could not be created."

Weird.. Well go here.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Williams.htm
and find the one that says:
Push buttons label STD-634
And click the push buttons label link and it will download the file

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from bumpnthump05:

Weird.. Well go here.
http://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Williams.htm
and find the one that says:
Push buttons label STD-634
And click the push buttons label link and it will download the file

Thanks but that doesn't work either. If I had my old Mac G3 with PhotoShop I'd scan mine and do a new one. I miss my Mac.

#384 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How about an image?
std-634.pngstd-634.png

#385 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How about an image?
std-634.png

Thanks for that but I still can't get it to print. What was soooo easy with my Mac and PhotoShop is just impossible. I HATE!!! PC's I used to do 50 layer dvd box insert designs and now I can't even do this simple little thing.

#386 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks for that but I still can't get it to print

How about I print a sticker sheet, and toss a few in the mail?

#387 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How about I print a sticker sheet, and toss a few in the mail?

I appreciate the offer but I had some stuff to order from Marco so I just bought a couple of theirs, only a buck apiece.

#388 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey Bob I got the 22mm blue start button installation about 75% completed. I had to drill out the original 7/8 inch hole all the way through then I recessed and enlarged the back of it to about 1-5/8 inch so there was enough width for a 1-1/4 inch washer and the nut with enough room to get a long nose pliers in and tighten the nut. I have power to light it up but I haven't had time to wire it to start a game. Sure does look great lit up and I want to thank you for the idea. Here are some pictures.
The button on the left is 22mm and on the right is 19mm.

1. Do we have any resolution on the value/importance of including the diode for the game start switch
2. Do we know whether the three lugs from the Chinese switch is designed to accommodate that (if it's important to use it)?

I went with my 19mm on my Gorgar, and it does look/function nice (on a test run with alligator clips). I just want to do my best wiring it up.

thanks,
mof

#389 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

1. Do we have any resolution on the value/importance of including the diode for the game start switch
2. Do we know whether the three lugs from the Chinese switch is designed to accommodate that (if it's important to use it)?
I went with my 19mm on my Gorgar, and it does look/function nice (on a test run with alligator clips). I just want to do my best wiring it up.
thanks,
mof

Not that I know of, I've left a message with my tech guy but he hasn't returned my call yet. How did you mount yours?

1 week later
#390 8 years ago

no real update.

it's summer and i'm very busy with my weekend job and everything else around the house, pinball mods and new ideas for other machines also (those are coming up).

one thing i will change for sure is re-paint the apron. i spoke with my brother in law, he's an airbrush artist, let's see what he comes up with.
first thing he going to do is my ac/dc, i'm not going to say what but i should start a thread about it.

#391 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

no real update.
it's summer and i'm very busy with my weekend job and everything else around the house, pinball mods and new ideas for other machines also (those are coming up).
one thing i will change for sure is re-paint the apron. i spoke with my brother in law, he's an airbrush artist, let's see what he comes up with.
first thing he going to do is my ac/dc, i'm not going to say what but i should start a thread about it.

Yeah all kinds of other stuff to do during the summer. The Mustang front fender flairs are done, they had to be made bigger to accomadate the race tires and the full body paint job should start in a couple weeks.

I also have a SUPER SECRET lighting mod I'm working on, I have the proto done and it looks GREAT on my T3. I won't be selling them but I'll do an FYI post about how to do it.

Maybe your brother in law could try something with that electroluminescent paint.

3 weeks later
#392 8 years ago

so today i did a few things.
i installed the new speakers on the speaker panel. added an extra layer of foam around it, so when it's screwed down lights won't come out and also because of the metal channel holding the backglass (reason why i can only put 3 screws but it's enough).
put an extra black cardboard with packing tape on it so it will be easier to clean.

little surprise (didn't thing about that one until the light was on) because the dust cap in the middle of the speaker is chrome it gives an extra light reflection in the middle of the ''w'', cool.

i paid a $1.99 for each speaker, on sale. they are 8 watts each (the original is 12 watts) so 16 watts total.

so this is what it looks like with the new speaker and lights on.

Speaker_SS.jpgSpeaker_SS.jpg
speaker_panel_back.jpgspeaker_panel_back.jpg
Speaker_panel_speaker_installed2.jpgSpeaker_panel_speaker_installed2.jpg
Speaker_panel_speakers_installed.jpgSpeaker_panel_speakers_installed.jpg
Speakerfront.jpgSpeakerfront.jpg

#393 8 years ago

that's ridiculously awesome. Inspiring.

#394 8 years ago

and...
made a sticker from the file from Inkochnito's site for the door buttons.
also since i was using a sheet of printable sticker, why not, i made a few other stickers, one on the roll tilt, power switch and add a ball sticker.

the file have to be resized, holes for the 3 buttons are too small.
not bad, might change that for a better one.

std_634_sticker.jpgstd_634_sticker.jpg

tilt_roll_sticker.jpgtilt_roll_sticker.jpg

tilt_roll_sticker2.jpgtilt_roll_sticker2.jpg

power_switch_sticker.jpgpower_switch_sticker.jpg

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and...
made a sticker from the file from Inkochnito's site for the door buttons.
also since i was using a sheet of printable sticker, why not, i made a few other stickers, one on the roll tilt, power switch and add a ball sticker.
the file have to be resized, holes for the 3 buttons are too small.
not bad, might change that for a better one.

std_634_sticker.jpg tilt_roll_sticker.jpg tilt_roll_sticker2.jpg power_switch_sticker.jpg

Great progress. You just had to put the NASA stickers on the back of the bb speakers didn't you.

#396 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Great progress. You just had to put the NASA stickers on the back of the bb speakers didn't you.

i know, nobody will see it... but i couldn't resist.

i also have a decal to put behind the backbox, that nobody will see.

#397 8 years ago

You got the tech to do it so why not. I could use 5 of those Install 3 balls stickers, how much you charge me?

#398 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

You got the tech to do it so why not.

just to give you an idea, i did that on my playboy, i will do the same thing on space shuttle (nasa).

Playboy_behind_backbox.jpgPlayboy_behind_backbox.jpg

#399 8 years ago

Cool....I like the white back. Another custom touch?

#400 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool....I like the white back. Another custom touch?

no, the back of the backbox was always white from factory, all i did after restoration was putting a black bunny.

white nasa on dark blue will look great for space shuttle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 525 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.