(Topic ID: 119380)

Space Shuttle restoration (we have lift off)

By beatmaster

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 525 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by bumgahdna
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space Shuttle Pinball Restoration - Task List.pdf (PDF preview)
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards1_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Start_button2_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_Start_button_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_1.jpg
Space_Shuttle2.jpg
SS_full_glare_lollll.jpg
first_start.jpg
first_start2.jpg
total_darkness.jpg
getting_closer.jpg
satellite.jpg
satellite2.jpg
There are 525 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Good thing I can't see it in person, Bob would be wiping drool off of it.

lolllll. i just sanded the cab this morning 1500/2000 with water.... it will be buffed tomorrow.

meanwhile i did the first color (red/stencil) on the tilt/bell panel, i was hoping to do the white line today but i'm toasted, had a big party last night, came home a 2:30am.

at least i'm gonna try to install the second stencil on that panel tonight.

there's a spot where there is no line, that's where the nasa logo will be.

tilt:bell red stencil.2.JPGtilt:bell red stencil.2.JPG
#202 9 years ago

here's a better picture, no neon light on top of it.

tilt:bell red stencil..JPGtilt:bell red stencil..JPG
#203 9 years ago

ok, nasa logo on the panel, i have 2 choices, white or chrome?

i'm thinking white, i like the chrome but it scratch easily. and white on blue will look good and it's also white on the speaker.

nasa logo.jpgnasa logo.jpg

#208 9 years ago

spent all day buffing the cab & BB, it looks good, i wish it was perfect but nothing is perfect.
i gave it a glaze after the compound... it's shhhhhmmmmmmooooth.

it's now home.......... YES! i still have to clean/remove the compound residue in some area, i will take pictures after that.

so, last night i did the white color over the red line on the f*#*#! tilt/bell panel....
bottom line, i'm gonna have to restart again.
brand new blade, it was so sharp i couldn't control the damn thing lollllll
too much bleeding on the red so instead of doing touch up (won't look good) i'm just gonna sand the two colors and restart. sometimes no matter how careful you are... shit happens.

i was looking at the cabinet, on each side of the playfield and i wanna do something different.
instead of leaving it blue, why not add a nice space/stars/nebula decal on each side.
i was going to make mirror blades but it's so tight, nothing will fit there.

what do you guys think?

#209 9 years ago

I'm sure the cab and bb look great, your just to critical of your own work but really who isn't. Sorry to hear about the panel but you'll get it looking good. I have often thought about how tight the pf is in the cab and wondered how much of a pain it would be to actually route out a space for mirror blades so they are flush with the cab. What I did was to make blades out of mirror plex and set them on top of the pf black side rails. It works great because the pf plastics actually hold them in place. When you want to lift the pf you just slide them back and out and lift the pf. Sure they do scratch a little when you slide them but the scratches aren't that bad and they are at the same level and position as the plastics so they are hidden.

IMGA0854.JPGIMGA0854.JPG IMGA0855.JPGIMGA0855.JPG
#210 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm sure the cab and bb look great, your just to critical of your own work but really who isn't. Sorry to hear about the panel but you'll get it looking good. I have often thought about how tight the pf is in the cab and wondered how much of a pain it would be to actually route out a space for mirror blades so they are flush with the cab. What I did was to make blades out of mirror plex and set them on top of the pf black side rails. It works great because the pf plastics actually hold them in place. When you want to lift the pf you just slide them back and out and lift the pf. Sure they do scratch a little when you slide them but the scratches aren't that bad and they are at the same level and position as the plastics so they are hidden.

IMGA0854.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMGA0855.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

paul you have a picture of this installed?

trust me i'd like to put chrome to match the rest of the machine.

#211 9 years ago

On the left side it actually sits on top of the plastics behind the screw heads and the front is behind the apron all of which holds it firmly in place. As you can see in the first I got the height if the plex wrong. I have to lift the pf slightly to slide it behind the apron. On the right side I slide it behind the black ramp and lift the pf slightly to slide it behind the apron same as the left side. I did have to notch both sides in the back and just ever so slightly on the front of the right on because of the metal ball eject protector on the shooter wood rail. Here's pictures of just the left side because you see all of that side when they are on the game most of the right side is covered by the ramp with just a little sticking up above the ramp and some before the ramp all the way down to the front of the cab. If you don't know this already glue and screw a 1/2 inch in width piece of hard wood the thickness and width of the pf to the back of the pf because when you stand the pf up when working on the underside or the inside of the cab the plastic that sits on the top of the ramp in back will break because it sticks out over the ramp. With that extra pf length it will rest on the wood not the pf plastic. See my picture. The last picture shows a piece of mirror I put on and angled to show the back side of the pop area. I think it adds to the depth effect, like another set of lit pops. When it's angled just right it can be seen perfect by the player of average height. You'll have to figure out how to mount yours but your a smart guy right. Hope all this helps Bob.

IMGA0863.JPGIMGA0863.JPG

IMGA0857.JPGIMGA0857.JPG
IMGA0858.JPGIMGA0858.JPG
IMGA0859.JPGIMGA0859.JPG
IMGA0862.JPGIMGA0862.JPG
IMGA0861.JPGIMGA0861.JPG
IMGA0860.JPGIMGA0860.JPG

#212 9 years ago

thanks for the pics paul, it gives me a good idea.

yeah i like the mirror on the back showing the pops.
i said earlier in this thread mirror back panel, it was already in my plans
or i already have a polished piece of stainless steel that was cut exactly for that about 2 years ago and it will go well with the speaker panel.

and, i do like the idea of a outer space/stars decal because i was thinking of painting the wood rails (whatever you call it) on each side of the playfield black, they are going to blend in.

so many possibilities, i'm probably going to print something and make a test.

#213 9 years ago

I hope whatever you do works for you but my pf sits so tight it looks like I took sandpaper to the sides of the cab inside, it's wood on wood so the plex mirror really saved me.

#214 9 years ago

i was a little busy doing something else.

but i did re-sanded the belt/tilt panel last night and started to put back together a few thing to give me an idea.
i still have stains on the bottom of the cab but it looks 100x better than before, maybe i'll do something for this later on.
still have some compound and glaze to remove.

here's a reflection on my playboy in the space shuttle cab.
and another one of the front of the cab with a few new parts.

left (playboy reflection).JPGleft (playboy reflection).JPG front.JPGfront.JPG
#215 9 years ago

Its so beautiful....congratulation!!!!!

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

You bet it is.

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

thanks guys, i'm just trying to do something different.

i was thinking of calling it the nasa edition.

#218 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

I like that.

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks guys, i'm just trying to do something different.

It's more polished than the mirror in the Hubble telescope.

#220 9 years ago

so today i re installed the front door, painted the square piece of wood for the power switch and buffed the metal plate that goes on top.

and started the ground braid by trying to hide as much as i can.

door2.JPGdoor2.JPG door.JPGdoor.JPG power switch.JPGpower switch.JPG
#221 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

so today i re installed the front door, painted the square piece of wood for the power switch and buffed the metal plate that goes on top.

door2.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
door.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
power switch.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Beautiful. Don't you wish you were rich so you could buy show quality chrome legs and bolts for it.

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Beautiful. Don't you wish you were rich so you could buy show quality chrome legs and bolts for it.

lolll, i'll start with the bolts.

#223 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

lolll, i'll start with the bolts.

I did too. They are something to behold. I got mine form the Refinery.

#224 9 years ago

best....SPACE....SHUTTLE...EVER!!! it's so shiny

#225 9 years ago
Quoted from PinBiohazard:

best....SPACE....SHUTTLE...EVER!!! it's so shiny

thanks, not done yet.

hmmmm, shinny shooter rod.

chrome shooter rod.JPGchrome shooter rod.JPG

#226 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks, no done yet.

When you finally get done with that, you MUST take some hi-res glamor shots. I'd pay for a good photo of a space shuttle.

#227 9 years ago

how about chrome drop target for the ramp entrance...

chrome drop target.JPGchrome drop target.JPG
#228 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

When you finally get done with that, you MUST take some hi-res glamor shots. I'd pay for a good photo of a Space Shuttle.

will do when i'm done.

#229 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and housing, niiiiice.

Quoted from beatmaster:

how about chrome drop target for the ramp entrance...

only the part that shows has to be chrome....but how long will that last getting bashed so much.

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

only the part that shows has to be chrome....but how long will that last getting bashed so much.

yeah, i'm curious also. i can always come back to the original.

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

the problem is you can't trust the color from the cap of the can, on my first try the color was supposed to be dark blue (krylon) it was more of a medium blue.
second try, the cap was a very dark blue and it came out just perfect.

Is the second color you used still Krylon? What is the color called? This cabinet looks great!

#232 9 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

Is the second color you used still Krylon? What is the color called? This cabinet looks great!

no it was not krylon. it's armor coat.

#233 9 years ago

my next step, the transformers.

have to clean everything, re paint that piece of wood white (damn press wood).
i'm gonna try to buff what i can, at least clean it.

transformer.JPGtransformer.JPG

#234 9 years ago

and apron doesn't match the rest of the machine, those yellow lines should be white.

so maybe paint it like the cab + clear coat or wrap it up with the same decal i'm gonna use on each side of the playfield.

or leave it like that.... nahhhh.

apron.JPGapron.JPG
#235 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

and apron doesn't match the rest of the machine, those yellow lines should be white.
so maybe paint it like the cab + clear coat or wrap it up with the same decal i'm gonna use on each side of the playfield.

apron.JPG

Just can't leave well enough alone.....

Seriously though, amazing work.

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

apron.JPG

Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be amazing. That transformer and stuff is a real mess though.

#237 9 years ago

I am very interested in what you do to the transformer board. The wood is straightforward but what do you do to the electronics, clean with simple-green and water? water around electronics sounds dangerous

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Lookin' sharp!
-mof

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I am very interested in what you do to the transformer board. The wood is straightforward but what do you do to the electronics, clean with simple-green and water? water around electronics sounds dangerous

yes the board is already painted.
you are right, clean everything with something similar to simple green.
i was going to buff the metal bracket holding the transformers, but i decided to just clean it, since it's glued with the transformer block i'll leave it like that.

in the end it's just gonna look nice and clean.

#240 9 years ago

transformers are back in the cabinet.

re-painted the bord, cleaned everything, changed the clear tubing for the ground going up to the backbox for a new one. new tie wrap, new screws (the ones i had in stock), covered the wires with corrugated tubing black, don't have the big one anymore, will probably change for blue or red depending on what it looks like when i get there.

nothing really major, it's just nice and clean.

transformers clean.JPGtransformers clean.JPG
#241 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Transformers are back in the cabinet.
re-painted the bord, cleaned everything, changed the clear tubing for the ground going up to the backbox for a new one. new tie wrap, new screws (the ones i had in stock), covered the wires with corrugated tubing black, don't have the big one anymore, will probably change for blue or red depending on what it looks like when i get there.
nothing really major, it's just nice and clean.

transformers clean.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

I can't believe how fast you are, from being a mess to being cleaned and assembled in a day. WOW!!!

#242 9 years ago

I see your missing some of the screws for the leg braces and I was wondering what your gonna do about the metal screen that goes over the transformers.

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see your missing some of the screws for the leg braces and I was wondering what your gonna do about the metal screen that goes over the Transformers.

yeah i know about the screws, i'm just not done yet, i have to run the ground for the side rails in the back, i'm gonna chose one of those screws.
well, there was no metal screen over the transformers when i got it except the bracket holding it, not sure yet what i'm gonna do about it.

i'm seriously thinking about the apron, same color as the cab and do something different, white and red lines with nasa logo in the middle instead of the big ''w''

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yeah i know about the screws, i'm just not done yet, i have to run the ground for the side rails in the back, i'm gonna chose one of those screws.

I see.

Quoted from beatmaster:

there was no metal screen over the Transformers when i got it except the bracket holding it, not sure yet what i'm gonna do about it.

Really, I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Quoted from beatmaster:

i'm seriously thinking about the apron, same color as the cab and do something different, white and red lines with nasa logo in the middle instead of the big ''w''

That sounds like a winner.

#245 9 years ago

How am I supposed to leave my cab original if I know that is out there?

#246 8 years ago

spent the last 2 days painting the new sunroom.

after diner i did the white color on the tilt/bell panel and this time it's perfect.
i'm gonna let it dry a day or two and then two coats of clear (one shot), it will be enough, i just want just to seal everything.
after that rebuilt/mount everything on that panel.

bell:tilt panel2.JPGbell:tilt panel2.JPG bell:tilt panel1.JPGbell:tilt panel1.JPG
#248 8 years ago

Very nice - did you mask and paint or lay down a decal?

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

Very nice - did you mask and paint or lay down a decal?

masked and painted using frisket. i will have one nasa decal/logo after clearing.

#250 8 years ago

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing with us.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 525 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.