(Topic ID: 119380)

Space Shuttle restoration (we have lift off)

By beatmaster

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 523 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jmmasterson
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 280 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Space Shuttle Pinball Restoration - Task List.pdf (PDF preview)
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_legs_light_up_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards2_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Score_Cards1_(resized).jpg
Space_Shuttle_Start_button2_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_Start_button_(resized).JPG
Space_Shuttle_1.jpg
Space_Shuttle2.jpg
SS_full_glare_lollll.jpg
first_start.jpg
first_start2.jpg
total_darkness.jpg
getting_closer.jpg
satellite.jpg
satellite2.jpg

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.
#1 4 years ago

after 2 years of waiting, finally found the time for this restoration.

i'm giving myself 1 month to do all the major work (hope i can do it) , cabinet restoration (stencil, clear coating), buffing, playfield swap, because after that i'll be very busy.
here's what i'm going to do.
repaint the cabinet and backbox after preps, stencil and clear both of them.
new playfield (cpr) swap everything
new translite (cpr)
plastic (cpr)
NOS mpu (from k's arcade) brand new, i was lucky to get this from a friend for almost nothing (he never used it for his machine).
re-condition driver board (from k's arcade) also got this from my friend.
rebuilt the door.
polish everything i can.
and a few mods (got to).
and a few surprises along the way....

i already removed everything from the backbox and cabinet.
so today i sanded the outside of the cabinet (took me about 3 hours to have it nice and smooth) i will finish the backbox and the inside of the cab tomorrow.

it has begun, let's start we these pictures for today.

thanks, bob.

cabinet and backbox before.JPG
backbox before.JPG
cabinet before.JPG
cabinet before 2.JPG
cabinet sanded.JPG
cabinet sanded 2.JPG

#2 4 years ago

Cool, i just did my space shuttle not too long ago. Should be fun to watch someone else doing theirs .

#3 4 years ago

sanding is done on the backbox.

cabinet was very dirty inside so i sanded everything i could remove and the original overspray.
looks a lot cleaner now, still have a few stains but not done yet.

my next step this week, fixing every holes and scratches, corners, almost every corner on the backbox needs to be fix, cabinet is much nicer and then primer if i have the time.

sanding done.JPG backbox1.JPG
#4 4 years ago

Lookin good Bob!
Sand , fill, sand, fill and repeat !! lol

#5 4 years ago

Nice job Bob

#6 4 years ago

What paints are you planning to use to restencil with ?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Lookin good Bob!
Sand , fill, sand, fill and repeat !! lol

thanks guys.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

What paints are you planning to use to restencil with ?

not sure yet, maybe krylon (that's what i used before with great results) and since i'm going to clear the cabinet it won't really matter.

dark blue and i will clear the cab and bb, so if i make a mistake with the stencils i can sand it down and repaint without damaging the base color.

#9 4 years ago

Krylon looked wonderful on our space shuttle. Glad to see yours is coming along nicely!

#10 4 years ago

Yeah, i think Krylon is the way to go if using rattle can.

#11 4 years ago

today,

filled/fixed every holes, bumps, scratches, corners.
taped bottom of the cabinet and the inside of the backbox.

and did the primer at the end of the day.

ready for primer1.JPG ready for primer2.JPG ready for primer3.JPG cabinet on primer.JPG backbox on primer.JPG cab, backbox on primer.JPG
#12 4 years ago

Coming along nicely. Is it me though or does the primer not look very evenly coated. Like you were spraying a little to close to the surface ?

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Coming along nicely. Is it me though or does the primer not look very evenly coated. Like you were spraying a little to close to the surface ?

what you see is a black guide coat (very light) on top of the primer. very useful when i'm going to sand it down.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

what you see is a black guide coat (very light) on top of the primer. very useful when i'm going to sand it down.

Ahh ok. Never heard of this before. How does it help ?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ahh ok. Never heard of this before. How does it help ?

it will help me to make it flat/even when i'm going to block sand the primer.

#16 4 years ago

Makes sense. Good idea !

#17 4 years ago

Do you have pics of the complete machine before the tear down?

#18 4 years ago

let me see if i can dig out some pics.

i think it's in my old hard drive, change the computer, not sure i can access them.

Quoted from PaulCoff:Do you have pics of the complete machine before the tear down?

#19 4 years ago

Oh Bob your killing me here. Wish I had the time and place to do mine. I'll be following yours. You ARE going to be using the HD leg braces aren't you.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh Bob your killing me here... You ARE going to be using the HD leg braces aren't you.

you mean like on the new stern?

#21 4 years ago

No the inside braces, the big metal plates. Those are just the leg standoffs.

#22 4 years ago

you mean these, oh yes, yes i will.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

No the inside braces, the big metal plates. Those are just the leg standoffs.

pbl_01-11400-1.jpg
#23 4 years ago

but i was thinking of installing these also (not sure it will work on williams leg) or clear plastic protectors.

535-0599-00.jpg

pinguard.jpg
#24 4 years ago

Very good, on those plates the bolts are threaded into threaded inserts that are pressed into the plates and if you get a bad bolt you can cross threat those pressed in inserts and they will spin. Once that happens it's a real bear to get the bolt out and once you do you have to buy a whole new plate because that one pressed in insert is shot. You can spin an insert by over tightning the bolt, to prevent that put a couple of spot welds around the back side of the plate around the inserts and they will never spin. That's what I did with my HS before I put those plates on. Those legs were rock solid then and I mean ROCK SOLID.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

but i was thinking of installing these also (not sure it will work on williams leg) or clear plastic protectors.
535-0599-00.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

pinguard.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I don't know if they will work either. Try them and find out. The clear ones will work and being clear they let the cab color show through and therefor the legs will look less bulky on top. If ya get my meaning.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

you mean these, oh yes, yes i will.

pbl_01-11400-1.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Yup those.

#27 4 years ago

damn it, i forgot my camera today.

what i've done today.
sanded the primer nice and smooth, gave it another coat before i left, there was a few bumps and holes i didn't see the first time.
final sanding should be done tomorrow (i will take pictures).
wednesday, i will give it a light coat of sealer and the base color (if everything is fine/to my liking).

half a gallon of primer on the cab and backbox... that thing drinks more than a new born....

#28 4 years ago

Nice progress but REMEMBER YOUR CAMERA!

#29 4 years ago

today,

i did a light coat of primer after filling micro holes.
now sanding is done.
i decided to make the back panel of the cabinet and the top part of the cabinet (where the back box sit) to make it look like one piece, much better.
cabinet and back box are as smooth as a baby's butt.

my next step,
sealer and base color and will probably paint the inside of the cab except the bottom part, so i'll have to mask that, won't mask the inside of the back box.
i was hoping to do that tomorrow but probably won't happen, gotta work on a car.
base color should be done by the end of the week for sure.

PAUL, here's some pictures.

sanding done.JPG behind cabinet.JPG backbox2.JPG backbox.JPG cabinet left.JPG cabinet right.JPG
#30 4 years ago

That looks super. What are all the leg bolt holes for?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks super. What are all the leg bolt holes for?

yeah i know, i was surprised myself, it was like that when i got the machine. since it's behind the leg, i left it like that and you never know, could be useful if i have dwarfs coming over.

#32 4 years ago

OK. Then I would STRONGLY suggest those HD plates them.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK. Then I would STRONGLY suggest those HD plates them.

yep, they are coming.

#34 4 years ago

Oh man you gotta light up the ball lock kick out plastics. I put a Comet double red flex in each and WOW does it light up. Looks A LOT better in real life.

IMGA0796.JPG
IMGA0797.JPG

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh man you gotta light up the ball lock kick out plastics. I put a Comet double red flex in each and WOW does it light up. Looks A LOT better in real life.
IMGA0796.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMGA0797.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

yep, i had something similar, just placed an order from comet (last night).
i'm gonna try with a small strip.

i have a lot of little things i'm gonna do to this machine.

man, that stainless steal panel the other guy did for his space shuttle was amazing, never heard back from him, i'd like to get my hands on this, if not, i'll try to do it if he can't.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

man, that stainless steal panel the other guy did for his Space Shuttle was amazing, never heard back from him, i'd like to get my hands on this, if not, i'll try to do it if he can't.

Yeah I liked that too, see what you can do.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ok, your really pissing me off ! Just when i think i have things looking great on my SS you have to come up with another great idea!! Stop it !!!

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok, your really pissing me off ! Just when i think i have things looking great on my SS you have to come up with another great idea!! Stop it !!!

I'm good at spending other peoples money. And if ya notice I painted the sides of the pf hole white to reflect more light. Talk about crazy hugh. Maybe I should have painted them black so just the plastic would light up, make it look more like a hole. And I had better not tell ya about the 2 star posts I have lit up, way cool but very expensive, they are the ones from Pinball Center that sit complely inside the post.

#39 4 years ago

how many cans of dark blue for the inside and outside? = 12 ...

tomorrow it should be cleared or for sure monday and it will be ready for the first stencil.
meanwhile, this weekend (maybe tomorrow) i'm going to start working on the door and door frame and buff everything i can.

paint was still wet when i took the pictures.
kind of look medium blue in the other 2 pictures but it's dark blue in person... man, i need another camera.

base coat done.JPG base coat cab.jpg base coat backbox.jpg
#40 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

how many cans of dark blue for the inside and outside? = 12 ...
tomorrow it should be cleared or for sure monday and it will be ready for the first stencil.
meanwhile, this weekend (maybe tomorrow) i'm going to start working on the door and door frame and buff everything i can.
paint was still wet when i took the pictures.
kind of look medium blue in the other 2 pictures but it's dark blue in person... man, i need another camera.

base coat done.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
base coat cab.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
base coat backbox.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's enamel? Man I'd let that dry for 3 or 4 days before ya do any more, screw what it says on the can. Your gonna be putting a lot more paint on top of that base so that base has to be completly cured.

#41 4 years ago

i know what you are saying paul.

it will be cleared before i put more paint, that's why i said tomorrow or for sure monday, no worries.

that's exactly how i did my playboy.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-playboy-restoration

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK, I meant clear also.

i won't take any chances, if i have to wait monday, i'll wait monday.

probably won't be at the garage tomorrow anyway.

#44 4 years ago

Sounds good. Also is that a thin backbox? I have the thick one so redoing mine would be more difficult because I think the stencils only are available for the thin one.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds good. Also is that a thin backbox? I have the thick one so redoing mine would be more difficult because I think the stencils only are available for the thin one.

yes i have the thin backbox, yeah i heard about that in the other threads.

#47 4 years ago

some before pictures, that lockdown bar receiver will be hard to clean/make it look shinny.
the cabinet used to smell like an old pair of socks lolllll and dirty, that why i decided to paint the inside and sanded the bottom part.

before.jpg before door.JPG before door2.JPG
#48 4 years ago

Really enjoying this thread. Thanks for sharing your restore!

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

some before pictures, that lockdown bar receiver will be hard to clean/make it look shinny.

get some evaporust, you'll be amazed!

#50 4 years ago

so today i decided to attack the door and the door frame.

old door.JPG old door 2.JPG old door 3.JPG
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.95
Various Novelties
Allteksystems
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 229.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside