Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BulkOfTheSeries
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey, I just got a space shuttle in that I'm going to try and repair for a guy.

It turns on, everything appears to be working great. When you coin up and start a game, the ball doesn't get kicked to the shooter lane and nothing on the PF lights up, no flippers.

In test mode the flippers fire well, and the P1 display on the backbox reads 2535 2.

What is a good place to start? I put in new batteries but that's all I've done.

#2 2 years ago

Battery holder is most likely bad.

Flip power on and off twice quickly and it should allow you to coin up and start a game.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Battery holder is most likely bad.
Flip power on and off twice quickly and it should allow you to coin up and start a game.

Did not work. I am assuming I'll have to replace the battery holder at this point?

Is that what the 2535 is referring to, battery holder?

And what is up with the '2' ?

#4 2 years ago

i think it reads as game number 2535 and the software is at revision 2. It is not an error code. This is the first thing you see in audit mode. You can start scrolling through the audits from there with the coin door buttons.

The coin door has to be open for the quick flip of the power switch trick to try and enter attract mode with no batteries.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

i think it reads as game number 2535 and the software is at revision 2. It is not an error code. This is the first thing you see in audit mode. You can start scrolling through the audits from there with the coin door buttons.
The coin door has to be open for the quick flip of the power switch trick to try and enter attract mode with no batteries.

Awesome, thanks. I have no clue where to start with this one. Does space shuttle have diagnostic codes or is this going to be a chase the issue scenario?

#6 2 years ago

The diagnostic code is going to be displayed on the MPU LED digit. Open your coin door and press the MPU diag button and then check the readout on the MPU single LED digit. The codes are printed in the manuals, i think right near the front. It might tell you the cmos ram is failed if it refuses to leave audit mode.

#7 2 years ago

Correct, 2532 is the game #, and it's on revision 2 ROMs.

If it won't come off the diagnostic code, it could be bad RAM, and I've seen a failed 7404 cause this as well. But I can't diagnose this particular failure based off the limited information we have at this time. Just noting that those particular causes have happened before. Best to properly diagnose and repair it rather than shotgun.

2 weeks later
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Correct, 2532 is the game #, and it's on revision 2 ROMs.
If it won't come off the diagnostic code, it could be bad RAM, and I've seen a failed 7404 cause this as well. But I can't diagnose this particular failure based off the limited information we have at this time. Just noting that those particular causes have happened before. Best to properly diagnose and repair it rather than shotgun.

Ok. So I jumped back into it today and here's what it is doing.

I ran the sound test and it all checked out. The SW2 switch gave me all the speech without anything missing or partial.

When I the game is in attract mode and I hit the SW1 switch to do the memory test, my LED display gives me a 0.
I tried leaving the door open to ensure it would show a 5 and it did.

The game coins up fine, but when I hit the start button the game "half boots" (clunking noises of switches firing, etc) but a ball never kicks out and the playfield has no power.

When I'm cycling through test mode everything on the playfield will fire, and it appears as though it will play fine.

#9 2 years ago

it doesnt see the balls so it is looking for them by popping solenoids. use the coin door buttons to enter switch test to make sure the trough switches are working.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

it doesnt see the balls so it is looking for them by popping solenoids. use the coin door buttons to enter switch test to make sure the trough switches are working.

Thanks dude, this was my initial inkling. Glad to hear the suspicion confirmed. I will give it a shot and report back.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

Thanks dude, this was my initial inkling. Glad to hear the suspicion confirmed. I will give it a shot and report back.

This has happend on my game. A quick switch adjustment on the ball trough switches and I was good to go.

1 month later
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

This has happend on my game. A quick switch adjustment on the ball trough switches and I was good to go.

What sort of adjustment?

1 week later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from BulkOfTheSeries:

What sort of adjustment?

Go into the switch test with 3 balls in the game and you should see all three of those switches registering in test. If you don't, you need to manually go under the playfield and adjust them until they register when the balls are in so the game knows they are all there.

1 week later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Go into the switch test with 3 balls in the game and you should see all three of those switches registering in test. If you don't, you need to manually go under the playfield and adjust them until they register when the balls are in so the game knows they are all there.

Hey so I have done this and found the switch that is holding it up. But the switch isn't bent out of shape. To me it looks like maybe the wireform that actuates the switch is broken off partially, like it's not long enough to reach?

The switch itself is the correct original as well. I stuffed some masking tape under the switch to test that it works and it does.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside