Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Pinball newb here and new owner of a Space Shuttle.

Pin starts up fine, start playing as normal and everything shuts down randomly during gameplay. Can be on first ball, third ball, doesn't matter. Machine makes chime noise, and all bumpers, flippers, etc stop and multiballs release. You can start a new game and then it occurs again.

I've searched system 9/Shuttle topics trying to find potential solutions.

Basic instructions and steps are appreciated!

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like the MPU is resetting during gameplay. Could be a lot of things. Have you looked at Pinwiki?

#3 7 years ago

I have looked it over several times. At this point in my maturation and knowledge of pins, much of it is over my head.

- Slam tilt switch could be an issue - not sure what I'm looking for.

- Power could be dropping below a certain voltage, not sure how to rectify.

PM sent.

#4 7 years ago

When my games have had issues during gameplay that were caused by logic / CPU faults, often times they would act up in attract mode as well. You might leave it on for a while if you can remain nearby... if it gets scrambled / locks up / resets, you have a fault somewhere in the MPU. I say to remain nearby so that if you hear coils fire, you can turn it off so that they don't lock on and burn up components.

Otherwise your symptom sounds almost like a switch short causing a tilt - but natural tilts don't cause all the coils to fire and locked balls to release. So again, still points to the MPU. These can be difficult to troubleshoot, it took me a while to begin making sense of it all and I'm still not a master at guiding people.

To make any headway at all, you will need to get and understand how to use a multi-meter, and probably a logic probe...

#5 7 years ago

Just to rule out something simple really quick, check your trough switch. If it's not adjusted correctly and the game doesn't recognize the ball, it will just restart.

#6 7 years ago

I think we got this figured out tonight! Hermfunk and I looked at the game together; it seems the high score reset switch was gummed up and it had gotten stuck (it also had a loose diode)

I can't be certain, but I believe that was wreaking havoc on the switch matrix, causing Slam tilts and such.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for help everyone: Comment23, goingincirclez and grantopia. A fellow pinsider dropped by and solved the issue. The high score reset button was getting stuck down and driving the random resets.

Thanks!

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Hermfunk:

Thanks for help everyone: Comment23, goingincirclez and grantopia. A fellow pinsider dropped by and solved the issue. The high score reset button was getting stuck down and driving the random resets.
Thanks!

Glad it was something just as simple!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-randomly-locks-down and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.