New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 65296)

Space Shuttle not keeping settings or high scores when turned off and on

By Willy39

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by themadman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I have been having this ongoing issue with the settings and high scored being reset everytime I turn the game off and on. If I change out the batteries on the off the board battery case, the settings and scores will save for about a week when the batteries die out. I did check all the power points going to the board from the battery unit, and I also had the d3 diode replaced on the cpu board which I was told causes the battery drain when not working. Any ideas what I can check? If I change out to 2 AAA batteries the game will save all info for about a week and then I assume once the batteries are drained, the settings don't save anymore. What is causing the AAA to be drained from the board? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

So I have been having this ongoing issue with the settings and high scored being reset everytime I turn the game off and on. If I change out the batteries on the off the board battery case, the settings and scores will save for about a week when the batteries die out. I did check all the power points going to the board from the battery unit, and I also had the d3 diode replaced on the cpu board which I was told causes the battery drain when not working. Any ideas what I can check? If I change out to 2 AAA batteries the game will save all info for about a week and then I assume once the batteries are drained, the settings don't save anymore. What is causing the AAA to be drained from the board? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

The D3 diode needs to be good and installed in the correct direction to keep from damaging the batteries. But the one thing in your post that stood out is the 2 AAA batteries.

Normally it is THREE (3) AA batteries, now the size probably won't make a difference, but the number certainly will... You need at least 3 volts to hold the memory in a machine. Two batteries = 3 Volts when brand spanking new, they are 1.5 volts each. You are supposed to supply 4.5 volts in the battery circuit to hold the memory; meaning three batteries.

Somebody did something wrong on your machine if there are only two batteries... Thus why you keep losing the settings.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, batteries. Does the holder only have two slots?

#4 7 years ago

I assume a typ0 on the 2 battery deal.

Pull the board and look for corrosion on the backside traces leading from the battery connections.

The traces are often broken from corrosion.

Use your meter and make sure you have conductivity to the next pad.

#5 7 years ago

yes i meant 3. it was a typo. I will check the corrosion on the board and solder where needed. I posted this a few months back and was told the blocking diode needed replacing? Is the d3 diode the blocking diode, correct?

#6 7 years ago

One quick question. If the backside of the battery connections are on the board are corroded wouldn't i not get a connection from the battery at all? It does work for about a week when I swap in new batteries. Would the poor-corroded connection drain the batteries?

#7 7 years ago

And I meant AA batteries as well. So I have 3 - AA batteries

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Willy39:

And I meant AA batteries as well. So I have 3 - AA batteries

OK good, When you put in a new set of batteries, can you use a multimeter and measure the output of the battery holder? It may still be wired wrong. Also check the voltage of the batteries with the machine power off and with it powered on.

If the voltage goes up on the batteries when the machine is powered on then your blocking diode is bad.

If the voltage of the batteries isn't 4.5V +- when new (say it's 3 or 1.5) then the battery holder is bad.

Where is the remote battery holder wired in? If the wires were put into the wrong place on the MPU board then the batteries may be trying to power up the entire board and not just hold memory.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 103.00
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 10.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside