finish1 (resized).jpg
shot1 (resized).jpg
popspoons (resized).jpg
shot2 (resized).jpg
pc (resized).jpg
rot (resized).jpg
birthday (resized).jpg
IMG_8697 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 7 years ago

I would be concerned about the long term outcome of this experiment. In particular I'm worried that eventually the glue would weaken and the protector would pucker/lift upward in the middle of the playfield. Poly-carbonate expands at a much greater rate than wood when heated.

I made my own protector for a Bally Quarterback. Instead of cutting around all of the playfield posts, I used small holes that went underneath all of the posts and reinstalled the posts on top of the protector. I quickly learned why the protectors were designed to go around all of the posts: to allow for expansion. Within minutes of turning the game on, the protector lifted away from the playfield in the middle by at least a quarter inch! This wildly changed the direction the ball moved in during the game. After turning the game off and letting it cool, the protector sat back down as flat as could be.

I thought about gluing it down, but my solution for this problem was to make sure the game/playfield never heated up. Obviously the first step was to replace every bulb in the entire machine with single LED bulbs. Next I noticed that there was a bridge rectifier installed on the bottom of the playfield using the playfield as a heat sink. I unscrewed the rectifier and attached it to a metal heatsink installed on a plastic standoff. After that I unscrewed all of the relays attached to the bottom of the playfield and installed them on plastic standoffs. Finally I installed a forced air cooling system with two 64CFM fans blowing in through the bottom of the machine where the coin box once was. The air blows directly toward the flippers then passes along the playfield and out the top of the backbox. One entrance, one exit. I installed temp probes in the machine and it doesn't heat up more than one degree even after hours of play! The end result is the playfield protector sits flat and plays amazing no matter how long the game is turned on.

My recommendation for anyone who installs this product is to do whatever possible to remove heat from the game and in particular insulate the playfield from heat producing components and boards. I might have gone overboard with the fans, but better safe than sorry. As long as the game does not heat up much during play, there should be nothing to worry about. I look forward to someday trying one of these on one of my machines.

1 week later
#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Outsidedge:

ahhhh yes, the great "star rollover affair" .... this IS a challenge, and we are working right now on what we feel will be a great solution. I am hesitant to comment much yet, as I would be speaking too much "theory"...verses trying it. ONLY after we battle the "great star rollover affair" and live to tell the tales will I feel like fireside story telling will be in order. More to come soon on this.

To me the best method is to pop the rollovers out and glue them back in slightly raised. I wish my Atlantis protector was that way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider John_I.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-new-prototype-playfield-product?tu=John_I and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.