• Latest reply 5 months ago by astevens
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SSCN5879.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Previous owner of my Space Shuttle had wired the both saucer coils to kick the ball out as soon as it hit the saucer.

Rewired the switches and coils and now I see why....

Game starts normally with both lock lights blinking. If you shoot either saucer to lock the ball, the ball locks, the lock light stays solid but a new ball is not presented.

Troubleshooting so far....
Switch test..all switches functioning normally including trough switches
Coil test...all coils fire in the right order

I jumpered the transistors and they all registered

So something is not happening between the ball lock and getting a new ball to present....any thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

if you toss a ball into the saucer is the switch registering?
switch test vs edge test with no ball in the game are switches registering that shouldnt? what about when you click a saucer do extra switches fire indicating a matrix issue?

#3 10 years ago

Ball in saucer, it registers.....ball out of saucer, it doesn't

I have gone through and tested each switch and each one registers as it should. No rows or col out or multiple thimgs registering from a single switch

Also if a ball is locked and you hit the shuttle ramp switches....it starts multiball normally...minus the ball it never kicked out

#4 10 years ago

when you manually fire the coils shorting out the transistor tab . OR you are in coil test and a ball is in the saucer, will it kick the ball out of the saucer if you put it there prior to the test?

are you running proto roms? or release roms?

#5 10 years ago

Yeah it kicks the ball out during the test....it will also kick the ball out if it is in the lock when I power on the machine. The roms say space shuttle rom 1 rev 1

#6 10 years ago

With all balls out of the machine.. What switches register?
With all balls in the machine what switches register.

#7 10 years ago

It could be argued that rev 1 ROMs are the same as proto ROMs. Considering the last ROM rev for SS was L7 it *could* be a SW bug (though I am skeptical.) You can upgrade - it won't hurt to do so and might help. Probably not a lot of people with L1 ROMs in their SSs posting here that can confirm this behavior.

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago

All balls out of the machine and drop targets up = no switches register
Balls loaded up = switches 12, 11, 10 register

I will also try the ROM upgrade....cant hurt

Based on an inspection of the board the following parts possibly have been replaced
Q49 - left eject hole solenoid driver
Q47 - Outhole solenoid driver
Q42 - Down post
U18 - NVSRAM
U46 - Chip after U14/U15 and before solenoid drivers 1-8
U57 - Chip after U46 and before solenoid drivers 1-4
U58 - Chip after U14 and before Q35, Q36 which go to the lamp return

All that to say it looks like someone had a go at the board trying to fix this previously

#9 10 years ago

yea Im stumped - by bruit force I would just flash the roms to eliminate anything .. I swear that I had P roms in my SS when i got it but .. (my sys9 was dead cold when I got it) so before I ever booted it the first time I had allready burned "known good L7 roms"

it sounds like its all there and working. after a eeprom flash my only next logical step would be a leon and start probing all PIA's hunting for the ghost.

did you measure voltages on the coil +? and ohm out the resistor tab to ground?

#10 10 years ago

Also, play a game and get a ball locked then immediately go into test mode and see if the switch is registering.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago

Ok here is a strange issue..

I removed the row and column connections from J8 and J10.....started doing the switch testing by jumpering across the rows and columns.....unless the manual is incorrect my row j10 is backwards....when I jumper j10-9...the switch in j10-1 shows up on the test.....If I compare the row wiring coloring to the table, it is the opposite of what the manual shows...are the manuals ever wrong or has the switch matrix row somehow been inverted?

I tripled checked the numbering sequence of the pins.

#12 10 years ago

Ugh...what a pain....I guess the manual is wrong. If you compare the switch matrix table to another wiring chart, the switch matrix table has the row backwards.

#13 10 years ago

I started a game...locked a ball and went into test mode

Switches registering:

24 - Right eject hole (lock)
11 - Middle ball trough
10 - Top ball trough

#14 10 years ago

this is fun.. wish i was closer to poke at it..
measure voltages on the coil +? and ohm out the resistor tab to ground?

#15 10 years ago

Well I just ran a quick test of the L-3 ROMs and they don't have a problem loading the next ball after locking each of the first two, so it certainly is not a ROM issue for this version or later. That's not to say it isn't a bug in the earlier version. If I had the L-1 version I would test it but L-3 is as far back as I've found.

Is it possible the ball is sitting wrong in the saucer sometimes not registering a switch closure? I don't think this is the answer myself since the machine saw the ball sitting in the switch right after you locked it, but figure it is worth a mention.

viperrwk

#16 10 years ago

Thanks for checking on the ROMs. So with the row and column switches (J8-J10) plugs disconnected I jumpered the right and left saucer and get the same result. Lock light goes solid but nothing else. It is supposed to score 20k flash some lights and present a new ball. None of that happens and the play-field switches are out of the equation at this point. So I would say it is something on the board.

Spud - which coil voltage and resistor tab are you talking about measuring?

#17 10 years ago

The eject hole transistors and eject/saucer hole coils.

1 week later
#18 10 years ago

Update: got a refurbished board and the latest greatest rom...still just sits in either saucer. Can anyone with a space shuttle take some pics of the right and left saucer switch and coils....also the ball trough switches and the switch at the shooter rod tip

I am totally stuck at this point

#19 10 years ago

This may or may not help you.

I recently replaced a lock switch in FP (it's a different switch than SS.)

After installing, the switch would register fine with my finger and *almost* all the time rolling a ball in it by hand but in game it was only working about 50% of the time.

Upon closer inspection, it turned out that the switch - which I got from Marco - has shorter leaves than the switch I replaced. What it meant was that the nylon nub which sticks out of the lock saucer was not in the center, or sticking up as far as it needed. I needed to tweak the mounting of the switch as well as adjust the leaves and even then, sometimes the ball will go in the lock and not get kicked out unless the machine is nudged to trip the switch.

If the switches have been replaced you may want to inspect where the trigger tab is in relation to the center of the saucer.

Unfortunately, Marco was the only one that had this switch.

viperrwk

SSCN5879.JPGSSCN5879.JPG

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ovendust:

I started a game...locked a ball and went into test mode

Switches registering:

11 - Middle ball trough
10 - Top ball trough

I just tried this on my Shuttle. Mine does kick a ball as expected, but if i put it back in the trough I get these results:

12- Lower ball trough (ramp in the manual)
11 - Middle ball trough

12 is the switch closest to the shooter lane. If I push the two remaining balls back up the ramp so they close 11 and 10, then lock a ball, I see the exact same issue you are seeing. No coil fires in an attempt to kick another ball into the shooter lane, and the game just sits there.

My guess is an issue with switch 12, or maybe the tip of the ball eject cam is blocking the other two balls from coming down the ramp and closing 12. FWIW, I had the same cam issue on a T2 where it wouldn't eject extra balls at the beginning of multiball, but otherwise worked fine. The slot in the cam had worn so the tip protruded into the trough just enough for the balls to get hung up.

#21 10 years ago

Oh man! It is fixed. "12 is the switch closest to the shooter lane" was the key. That was showing up as 10. The previous owner had wired switches 10 and 12 opposite. Amazing that the game worked normally besides the locking. When a ball was locked, it did not think it had one to give b/c 12 was last in line and open.

The good: Working 100%
The bad: I will not share how much I spent in parts when it was 2 wires reversed. Hint: refab MPU board + new ROM. I love pinball and the love outweighs any financial impact.....ha!

Thanks everyone for all your help! At least the issue is now in Pinside history if anyone else runs across it.

#22 10 years ago

Congrats!
That's a tough one to find/fix. Glad you got it sorted.

viperrwk

#23 10 years ago

Great job!

Sheesh, previous owners sure do some weird things. When I got my Space Shuttle, the previous owner had shorted two row lines (or column -- don't remember which) together -- the one with the coin sensor, and the one with the start button -- I assume so that the game would coin up when pressing the start button -- some sort of hacked free play setting. Apparently he did not know how to turn on free play in the game adjustments, so hacked the game wiring instead.

So there were lots of 'additional' switch closures anytime a switch registered on that row. It took me a few days to find that one.

#24 10 years ago

Nice work my friend, looking forward to coming over to play it today. Post them some pics of this fully restored game. Looks amazing!

#25 10 years ago

Was this the one at Allentown? I saw that problem there- it was a head scratcher. Still a pretty sweet deal even with the spare parts you had to order, with its brand new playfield and all. Have fun!

#26 10 years ago

Thought I'd posted last night... Anyhow, congratulations! Shuttle is an awesome game. I just got mine working too.

10 years later
#27 5 months ago

Posting another resolution to this, in case anyone else has this problem. We were having the same issue, except that it seemed to be intermittent--sometimes it worked fine, other times it didn't.

For us, it turned out that the ball feed for the shooter lane was getting jammed, so it wasn't feeding the ball correctly. So the game didn't have a new ball to put into play and just sat there. The coil assembly for the ball feed was loose under the playfield--just needed to tighten the screws, and all was good.

Moral of the story for us: check the mechanicals before jumping to electrical as the problem!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-lock-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.