• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled-1 (resized).png
#1 7 years ago

Hello pinsiders,

This is my forst post to pinside. I am looking for some help with my Williams Space Shuttle. I am having a light issue. The "SPACE SHUTTLE LIT SCORES" say on pretty much all the time. Sometimes they flicker and a couple go out. During play only one of these lights should be on as it indicates the value for spelling S-H-U-T-T-L-E. They had LEDS in them, but i changed them back thinking it was the problem. It is still doing it. I checked the connector and they seem fine. I'm out out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like a lamp matrix issue. Those lamps are all on the same column, along with the Right Lock lamp, so that would make the most sense.

Is the Right Lock Lamp stuck on too? If it is, then the entire column is stuck grounded, which is likely a bad TIP42 on the MPU.

As a test, pull connector 1J6 and turn on the game and see if those lamps still light up. If they don't, then you've ruled out random ground path wires touching any of those bulb sockets to complete a ground return. If that is the case, the issue is on your MPU. Suspect parts would be Q17 transistor, Q25 transistor, or the logic IC U53 being stuck high. The most likely is a shorted TIP42, Q25.

If you have a multimeter handy, you can probe Q25 TIP42 and see if it is shorted. Put the black lead on pin 1(far left leg). and probe the center pin and far right pins with the red lead. You should get like .6 on the meter. If you get 0, then it is shorted.

Untitled-1 (resized).pngUntitled-1 (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

Lots of things to test! Cool! I'll check it out tonight and report back.

#4 7 years ago

Ok, 1J6 turned off the lights, so my problem is on the mpu. I tested q25 with the multimeter set on 20M ohm. Negtive left/red middle tests 6.35. Negitive left/red right tests at 0.

Is q25 bad?

#5 7 years ago

Figured it out! It was q28!

#6 7 years ago

Awesome. Good work!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-lights-issue-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.