You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2083 (resized).JPG
IMG_2082 (resized).JPG
SP_SH_DIAGS (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AMBoggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Finished rebuilding a Space Shuttle and now the left sling shot will not work.

The voltage on the switch for the right sling is 4.8 V but the left is reading 2.5.

The left is missing it's capacitor (one of the leads broke off). Would this cause the entire sling shot to not work?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

You need to use the diagnostic features to verify the computer can fire the solenoid, and then can detect the switch close:

It is a special solenoid, the Mpu doesn't fire it. The upright switches aren't recognized by the MPU, only the switch that gets closed under the playfield after it fires.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

OK, you need to ID the sling's Switch input connector and remove it. (J19 pin 7?) Start up a game and carefully run a jumper from ground and tap it to the header pin for the sling's switch input. If it fires, look at connections from the header down to the coil switch. If it doesn't, verify the coil has operating voltage on the lugs. Then run a jumper from ground and tap the coil lug opposite the line on the diode_ to manually fire the solenoid.
Obviously broken components must be replaced or repaired.

Did that an nothing. Weird thing is that couldn't get any of the solenoids to fire this way or by grounding the lug. But all the others are working fine during game play.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Is there just a cap or is there a cap and resistor? This should be the same voltage as the 5 volt line on the CPU. Since the right is reading 4.8 volts ( a bit low too) so should the left. How about a pic of the wires on the switch. You could also disconnect the wire that goes to the CPU from the switch and retest the voltage. This can still be a board problem.

Cap and resistor. The old cap is still there. Just broken.

IMG_2082 (resized).JPGIMG_2082 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Did you have a game started? Since the spcl sols don't get activated in diags, you have to manually fire them during a game by taking its switch trigger LO.

Yup

#13 6 years ago

started game, unplugged the orange switch wires. Switch is reading 0.8 V now. (Shouldn't it be zero) Solenoid is at 4.8 V.

Won't wire when grounding at the lug or on the pins at the board. None of the other solenoids that are working will fire this way either.

#14 6 years ago

So I'm an idiot.

I forgot to hook the ground strap back to metal plate in the backbox.

Now they are firing at the transitor tab, lug, and the switch pins. Including the bad one.

But it's still not firing when pushing the switches and the lefts voltage is still low.

#16 6 years ago

Holy hell....

So I did as you suggested and got nothing, checked the switch that I knew was good and got continuity.

Started working my way down to the playfield and checked the black molex, I could get continuity from the female end back to the board, but couldn't get it to work from the male end after plugging them together, including the switch I knew was supposed to be good.

Figured the plug was my problem, the female end connectors were getting pushed back they were plugged together breaking the circuit.

I got them reseated, the plug probably needs to be replaced, but all is well now.

Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.

Now I can get back to my Space Station basket case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AMBoggs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-left-kicker-slingshot-not-working?tu=AMBoggs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.