• Latest reply 7 years ago by comment23
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Lamps (resized).JPG
lampmatrix (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider comment23.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling with this Space Shuttle issue and I am hoping someone may know of a possible solution.

Problem: Lap Row 3 does not pulse correctly, some lamps never turn off but dim. Video of said issue can be seen here:

If you see in the video the "U", "50,000", and 4X do not follow the light show. If you look at the lamp matrix you will see they all fall upon the same lamp row:

lampmatrix (resized).JPGlampmatrix (resized).JPG

I've tested all diodes on all sockets and they all tested well with no apparent shorting to the base of touching any other metal.

In the schematics, here's the piece of IJ6-3:

Lamps (resized).JPGLamps (resized).JPG

Above, I've replaced the following:

* Q33 - TIP122 (original tested fine but replaced anyway)
* D13 - 1N4004 (was 1N4001) (was testing .3 in-circuit, but was fine out of circuit. When replaced with the 1N4004, it tested the same in-circuit)
* S3 (original did not test fine, replaced but problem still occurring)

All other resistors tested fine. I did not test the cap (C45 but I've never seen one of those fail).

I worked my way back to U59 (7406). From my logic analyzer, everything "seem" to be OK. I compared/contrasted to other pins and seem to have a similar result.

Next, I worked my way back to the 6821. Here I did notice a difference. It seems that PA2 with a logic analyzer was pulsing, but the LOW indicator never completely turn off but dimmed (much like the lamps). When I compared this with PA1 and PA3, I noticed that the LOW indicator would turn off from a pulsing perspective.

I socket-ed and changed the 6821 with another 6821 that is confirmed working, but had the same result.

So, I'm totally out of ideas. Anything I am missing or should look out for?

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Hi everyone,
I've been struggling with this Space Shuttle issue and I am hoping someone may know of a possible solution.
Problem: Lap Row 3 does not pulse correctly, some lamps never turn off but dim. Video of said issue can be seen here: » YouTube video
If you see in the video the "U", "50,000", and 4X do not follow the light show. If you look at the lamp matrix you will see they all fall upon the same lamp row:

I've tested all diodes on all sockets and they all tested well with no apparent shorting to the base of touching any other metal.
In the schematics, here's the piece of IJ6-3:

Above, I've replaced the following:
* Q33 - TIP122 (original tested fine but replaced anyway)
* D13 - 1N4004 (was 1N4001) (was testing .3 in-circuit, but was fine out of circuit. When replaced with the 1N4004, it tested the same in-circuit)
* S3 (original did not test fine, replaced but problem still occurring)
All other resistors tested fine. I did not test the cap (C45 but I've never seen one of those fail).
I worked my way back to U59 (7406). From my logic analyzer, everything "seem" to be OK. I compared/contrasted to other pins and seem to have a similar result.
Next, I worked my way back to the 6821. Here I did notice a difference. It seems that PA2 with a logic analyzer was pulsing, but the LOW indicator never completely turn off but dimmed (much like the lamps). When I compared this with PA1 and PA3, I noticed that the LOW indicator would turn off from a pulsing perspective.
I socket-ed and changed the 6821 with another 6821 that is confirmed working, but had the same result.
So, I'm totally out of ideas. Anything I am missing or should look out for?

#3 7 years ago

I just rechecked all diodes on the entire row and also checked continuity and everything looks good. Any ideas?

#4 7 years ago

Problem solved. Somebody had replaced a controlled lamp with a 2 lead socket and not a 3 lead socket! Therefore the diode wasn't installed correctly!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider comment23.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-lamp-row-not-pulsing-correctly-overly-bright-lamps?tu=comment23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.