Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by msbenzik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm doing a my first restoration on a Williams Space shuttle and I am having an issue with the lamp matrix. Currently all lamps work other than row 1. I have tested the plugs going to the play field and found that the wiring to all the lights is good so my issue is somewhere between the PIA and the output. I connected my multimeter to 1J61 and 1J71 with lamp test mode and saw no fluctuation of voltage, IJ62-IJ68 and IJ71-IJ78 all pulsed. I checked the diodes and resistors on the board associated with that row and didn't see any values out of the ordinary. Does it sound like I need to replace the PIA or could there be something else that I am just missing.

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Don't quote me, but I believe the transistor that drives 1J61 is Q31 (a TIP122 trans )

2 weeks later
#3 7 years ago

Vid thanks for the advice I finally got my logic probe and found the 7406 is not processing the signal properly. Pin 3 (input side) is pulsing properly so the PIA shoudl be fine but Pin 4 (output) is constantly low. I'm going to replace the 7406 and see if thats the issue.

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

Just as an update, I replaced the 7406 and it fixed the issue however I lost two lamp rows during the process so I'll be replacing the TIP and Darlington driver this week.

Thanks for the assistance Vid

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-lamp-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.