(Topic ID: 59271)

Space Shuttle isn't in the top 100 - HOW?

By Collin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Space_Shuttle_side_by_side.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago

It's too easy to really deserve that high of a spot. Historical significance doesn't account for taste.

Before you jump on me, I've got one and am in the middle of a huge restore on it costing more than the machine is worth. It's a great title, but it has some issues that won't see it going higher.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

I have one that's restored and I turned down an offer of $2300 for it. If you restore one, they do have a higher value than you would think.

Heh, for what I've dumped into it so far, I don't know if $2300 would allow me to turn a profit. Worst part - the display was working on it until I accidentally totally broke one of the score displays. I guess it had to happen with some machine sometime that I owned. But, I'm not restoring it to turn a profit. While I do think it is ridiculously easy, it is one of the machines that got me into pinball, and getting the opportunity to turn it into a perfect example was something I just couldn't let go by.

Quoted from shimoda:

Not jumping on you, but I think what was stated above about multiple versions of the same game is basically stupid - ridiculous - false. Granted, these "Top 100" lists should always be taken with a cubic ton of salt, but lets consider this: at least four spots on the Pinside list are taken by different versions of essentially the same game. (TAF, ACDC, MET, TRON)

I don't know if you were meaning to reply to me or not. While I understand what you're saying, if you took out those games, it would be probably pretty close to the top 100. It's not ranked higher because as a game, it's got some serious gameplay issues.

I'll also say that it probably isn't ranked higher because:

1) It's not a DMD game, and there are a lot of collectors that don't mess with pre-DMD era machines.

2) Until the repro parts, they were nearly impossible to find in good shape. They got A LOT of use, but it means that those people who collect minty examples would almost never even think about adding a Space Shuttle to the line up.

3) Being one of the very few System 9 machines, parts for the boards were harder to find then most because of the rarity of that boardset.

All that stuff contributes to it not being as desirable, and that keeps it out of some of the rankings. I really appreciate everything that it is, but I will fully admit that it is a machine that I don't think I would consider a top machine either.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I'm interested in knowing what the serious gameplay issues are.?

If you become decent at it, the ball locks are really easy to hit, so the strategy for points is plunge ball, lock ball, plunge ball, drop target, hit ramp to start multiball and then shoot balls past the spinner to build 7X bonus and then up the ramp for points. You can also shoot the ball up the other ramp to keep switching to "Extra Ball" as the SHUTTLE reward.

If you lose a ball, catch and lock the ball and repeat.

It's a really, really simple strategy, and if you have decent ball control skills, it makes it so that you can play for a really, really, really long time. And with the ruleset being so shallow, playing that long isn't so rewarding. There isn't really anything else to shoot for.

It doesn't help that the game has the Airlock thing that saves the ball and the up post in the middle of the game.

And again, lest anyone think I'm trashing their favorite game or whatever, I really like it for what it is. I am waiting for my new tumbler to arrive tomorrow for the playfield swap that I'm in the middle of to continue. But I also realize that Shuttle will be one of the games that I have in the collection because it is a looker and something nostalgic (it's the title after Jurassic Park that I credit with getting me into pinball), not because it is a great playing machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goatdan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-isnt-in-the-top-100-how?tu=goatdan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.