Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ezed123
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi gang. Need help with Space Shuttle. I had sounds and speech with my former System 9 board but had other issues with that board (go figure!) so I bought a reconditioned Williams System 9 board that is clean and repaired well. However I now have only speech and no sounds from the same ROMs and sound board with this System 9 board. Tried to put the jumper in W10 and that didn’t work.

The jumpers I have on the “new” system 9 board are W2, 5, 6, 7, 9 and W12. This is what Pinwiki recommended. I have the 6808 processor in which should work with W2 jumper. I’m stumped! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 2 years ago

is this a result of game play and/or pressing switch 2 on the cpu board to test sound/speech?

have you tried reseating the the ribbon cable a few times, also turning the pot on the sound board?

#3 2 years ago

Hi thanks for jumping in with this. Yes I have seated and re-seated the 40 pin sound board cable, turned the volume pot back and forth a few times and also re-seated all 3 sound and speech Roms on the sound board and U49 on the MPU.
I don’t have any background sounds or any sounds at all during game play and when pressing the sound test switch on the mpu I only get the speech at the end. I DO get all the speech and words, just no sounds. Same also applies when I go into test mode through the service buttons - no sounds for the first 6 then then speech at the end.

Any ideas @Grumpy? Thanks

#4 2 years ago

if you had speech and sound working fine on the original board, and now not with a newer board, i'd be putting it down to the new board and/or ribbon cable/headers.

and i'd jumper the newer board as per the original then try that.

#5 2 years ago

Yea I have the new board jumpered exactly as the original board was. The ribbon cable is the same as that is attached to the sound board. The new board has new headers on it and I double checked that all 40 of the pins are soldered correctly on the new board. I’m stumped!

#6 2 years ago

are all the voltages correct at 1J17 from the power supply to cpu?

#7 2 years ago

Yes just checked. voltages are correct. I’m not sure but I think the problem may be the U49 sound Rom. I have a refurbished System 11 board that I just got new Roms for and the game is now working correctly. Thanks very much for your help!

#8 2 years ago

If you only have speech, then the potentiometer on the speech board might be at one of its extremes, meaning that it is turned all the way to one side. If you center this, then you will have equal speech and sound. this pot controls the ratio of sound and speech there is on the speaker. This might be your problem. Keep us updated!

#9 2 years ago

The op amps mixing sound and speech do go bad. Depending on which of the three op amps fail, pretty sure you can get only speech situation.

#10 2 years ago

@Barakandl. When you mentioned the op amps mixing sound and speech go bad…
Would that be on the sound board or on the System 9 board? I’m curious because as I said earlier I replaced a good system 9 board with a system 11 nothing board with the upgraded sys 11 Roms and I now have a fully functioning Shuttle with sound and speech

Thanks, ezed123

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-has-speech-but-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.