5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181118_223245 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I recently purchased a project Space Shuttle with the GI out. Checking the fuses in the backbox I noticed the following two fuses were blown. I replaced them and as soon as the game was turned on both fuses blew. Does anyone know if these two fuses are what control the GI? I cant seem to find the referenced block in the manual. It looks like one fuse controls the right and the other controls the left like on my pinbot but not sure. Can anyone offer me guidance on how to start to fix this issue? I do appreciate it.

20181118_223245 (resized).jpg20181118_223245 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

Williams did this fuse arrangement for GI on a lot of games. There are 4 separate branch circuits for the GI current to go to different parts of the game. Each branch has a fused striped colored wire, essentially the "hot" side of the AC voltage, and a corresponding solid color return wire. For example, purple striped wire will go to one side of a string of bulb sockets, and the solid purple goes to the other side (and this may be the solid color attached to a stapled bare wire running from socket to socket)

So first you need to repair the problem that is causing fuses to blow. Most of the time this is a bad socket. Focus your attention on one string or another first. You have a white/yellow sting that has a problem, and a white/violet string that is a problem. Remove all the bulbs and use a dmm/voltmeter to test for shorts between the sockets would be the first thing to do.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Williams did this fuse arrangement for GI on a lot of games. There are 4 separate branch circuits for the GI current to go to different parts of the game. Each branch has a fused striped colored wire, essentially the "hot" side of the AC voltage, and a corresponding solid color return wire. For example, purple striped wire will go to one side of a string of bulb sockets, and the solid purple goes to the other side (and this may be the solid color attached to a stapled bare wire running from socket to socket)
So first you need to repair the problem that is causing fuses to blow. Most of the time this is a bad socket. Focus your attention on one string or another first. You have a white/yellow sting that has a problem, and a white/violet string that is a problem. Remove all the bulbs and use a dmm/voltmeter to test for shorts between the sockets would be the first thing to do.

Thanks for the recommendation and I will give it a try. I find it disconcerting that both sides of the playfield are out so I hope it's not a larger problem than a short. Do bulb sockets go bad often? I have not had this happen to me before yet.

#4 5 years ago

All four positions should have 5a slow blow fuses installed, and each controls a string of the gi. In the pic, those appear to be different value fuses. Were the blown fuses the correct rating?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

All four positions should have 5a slow blow fuses installed, and each controls a string of the gi. In the pic, those appear to be different value fuses. Were the blown fuses the correct rating?

Yes they all were 5a time delay/slow blow. I made sure to check that right away. Appreciate the suggestion!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from ChicagoPinReplay:

Thanks for the recommendation and I will give it a try. I find it disconcerting that both sides of the playfield are out so I hope it's not a larger problem than a short. Do bulb sockets go bad often? I have not had this happen to me before yet.

Probably not a large problem, usually these are small problems that can take a lot of patience to find. For the playfield GI, look carefully for sockets that are shorting to adjacent things. Especially near the perimeter of the playfield, sometimes these are bent and touch the side rails when the playfield is lifted.

3 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

Problem solved! The previous owner messed up when doing some work on the GI. Some of his jumper wires going from socket to socket had the solid yellow/purple wires connected to the white purple/white yellow wires. Does not get more shorted than that. Thanks everyone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-gi-out?hl=chicagopinreplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.