(Topic ID: 161366)

Space Shuttle Flipper Voltage

By Outsidedge

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Outsidedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

We are restoring two Space Shuttles side by side. We now have them playing but noticed that one machine has better flipper strength than the other. The kicker is, the one with brand new coils is the one that is weeker. We measured voltage at the coils and found to have only 38 volts at the flippers. Then we measured the other machine. It has only 40 volts. Now I know it should be close to 50 and both machines are reading low at this point.

We have already replaced almost all of the caps on both power supplies, and installed the new and quite slick little board with bridges and caps to replace the big capacitor and 2 bridges in the lower right corner of the back box.

Question: What else can be causing our low readings at the flippers? One machine is 38v and the other reads 40v.

#3 7 years ago

Welp, turns out that I had my grounding lead on a not so good spot. When I ground directly to a cabinet ground both machines have a solid 65 volts.
Only mystery that remains is that inspite of a new sleeve,coil,spring and cleaned flipper shaft and guide I still have one somewhat weak flipper. I am wondering if the new coil may be a dud. I cannot detect a mechanical bind whatsoever.... free as free.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks guys! I am betting you are correct. I was just reading about all the arcing (plus witnessed) those switches do on that particular flipper design. I believe a few fresh switches are in order.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Outsidedge.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-flipper-voltage?tu=Outsidedge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.