(Topic ID: 146431)

Space Shuttle - First pin (!) and some questions (of course)

By grantopia

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi All,

Brand new to the site here, I was referred over by a few people on the KLOV forum as a good pinball resource. I mainly collect classic vids but got a great deal on this Space Shuttle from a local collector so I couldn't pass up my chance to get my first pin down in the arcade!

I've cleaned it up pretty well on the outside, but had a few "new guy" questions as working with and on pins is brand new to me.

1. The playfield has seen its fair share of action and it's a bit dirty. What is the best method for cleaning it up? I didn't want to use anything that could damage the playfield or anything else.

2. Once every few games, the ball will get "stuck" in the ( and forgive my ignorance here please...) thing that "kicks" the ball into the plunger lane. I'm assuming this is some mechanical adjustment but I was hoping someone has run into this before and may know about it.

Aside from that I've been loving the game so far! Any play and or general maintenance and care tips are appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

Novus 2 is the standard from cleaning playfields around here. Many people round here will also tell you to wax it after clean to keep it safe; A nice natural real carnuba wax. Many people do not use wax but it certain(t)ly doesn't hurt to put a protective layer on it.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=374

Welcome....classic game you got.

#3 8 years ago

Congrats on your first game! Space shuttle is a great one!

For cleaning the play field, it may be worth reading through Vid's awesome guide on cleaning and waxing a machine. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

Is the game trying to kick out the ball and it's not just making it out of the trough or is it just not kicking the ball hard enough?

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for the link! I'm running out of space so I was holding out for a pin I actually wanted vs. the first or cheapest thing that came along. I'll give the cleaner a try!

#5 8 years ago

I can see it making contact and moving, so it might just not be going hard enough. It only happens maybe once every 5 games or so, and it (usually) eventually kicks it out. I'm just not familiar enough yet to know what if anything I should check.

#6 8 years ago

Take the apron off (there are screws at the edge of the playfield closest to the player).

Now watch what is happening when the ball is not being delivered to the shooter lane.

You may have crap in there, or your coil may need a new sleeve liner, or maybe the finger is bent and not contacting the center of the ball or.....

#7 8 years ago

My Space Shuttle was doing the same thing before the board went out, I have yet to fix the board. However, I had put a new sleeve in and bent the arm but it never did fix it. I will follow this thread hoping to see if you figure yours out since I never had the chance to further test mine.

#8 8 years ago

I'll poke around in there this weekend and report back!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-first-pin-and-some-questions-of-course and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.