(Topic ID: 136550)

Space Shuttle: Diodes on the pop bumper lamps???

By xfassa

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by xfassa
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

While tearing down the pop bumpers on a Space Shuttle, I noticed that only one of the three pop bumper lamps had a diode connected. This doesn't seem right to me... Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

#2 8 years ago

they should all have them. There is a piece of insulatating rubber the keeps the leads from shorting to the bumper bracket. The diode may be in there. All 3 have them since they are part of the lamp matrix

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

they should all have them. There is a piece of insulatating rubber the keeps the leads from shorting to the bumper bracket. The diode may be in there. All 3 have them since they are part of the lamp matrix

Thanks!

Clear insulation was on all three. However, two of them contained just a bare wire inside. Only one had a diode inside the insulation. Odd.....

I will add the missing diodes.

#4 8 years ago

Ok....confused again. Just found a thread on rec.pinball.games where someone else asked a similar question.

http://rec.games.pinball.narkive.com/Ltqmzt/tech-williams-system-9-pop-bumper-wiring

Can anyone confirm what component needs to be connected for each pop bumper lamp? Diode? Thicker gage wire? Combination of the two??? Again, in my instance, I had a diode attached to one of the pop lamps and a piece of wire attached to the other two pop lamps.

Thanks!

#5 8 years ago

If you're missing diodes, you should have other lamps crosslighting when they light, becuase all three of those are controlled lamps on the matrix. I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" though.

If you look at the lamp connections to the pop bumper lamp wires, pretty sure all three of them are going to share a common colored wire (supply) on one side, and a different wire (transistor controlled to ground) to the other side of each lamp. Just wire in the diode in the same orientation as the one that exists on the other two wires and you should be good to go.

There's no "thicker gauge" wire on a lamp. That's for coils. The only thing I can think of is if the pop bumper sockets were replaced with the stupid floppy wire lead 555 ones instead of the flat solid metal 44 twist socket un-insulated ones when someone rebuilt them. The wire on those 555 sockets is pretty thin compared to most pinball wiring.

At worst, if it's working correctly right now and you add a diode, you've wasted 15 cents. If you hook up the diode backwards the lamp and anything further down the chain will not light and you'll know that you put it on backwards, and no harm done just turn it around.

#6 8 years ago

Yes, there is supposed to be diodes on each pop lamp.

On most versions of Shuttle, the Red wire with black stripe goes to the band on the diode, the unbanded side of the diode continues to the lamp - the other lamp lead goes to the Yellow wire with Black stripe.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yes, there is supposed to be diodes on each pop lamp.
On most versions of Shuttle, the Red wire with black stripe goes to the band on the diode, the unbanded side of the diode continues to the lamp - the other lamp lead goes to the Yellow wire with Black stripe.

THANK YOU!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-diodes-on-the-pop-bumper-lamps?hl=naf_llabnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.