SS_2014f.jpg
SS_2014e.jpg
SS_2014d.jpg
SS_1.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card_3.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card_2.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card.jpg
Space_Shuttle_Free_Play_Card.jpg

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 10 years ago

I see that you guys have been busy. So I got off my keester and finished my launch mod. Here are some pics, may it guide you in your quest. It may be a truely great idea or a warning, you decide.

Components: 1 555 LED socket with intergrated mount, 1 red led (looking for fast flashing one to replace it later), 1 Cherry micro switch with long wire actuator (used N.O. contacts), and wire.

The switch steel wire was cut down to around 1 1/2" and the last 1/4" bent at 90 degrees. Used the G.I. 6.3 VAC circuit for power. Solder directly to braided wire.

Operation: When Ball is loaded and holds down the rollover switch it also holds the micro switch closed and powers light. The switch steel wire actuator crosses over the original rollover switch wire under the PF. After launch the micro switch opens 1 leg of light circuit and light extinguishes. Don't mean to over explain but you never know who's reading.

Simple effect but I think it cues the operator to launch visually along with the "Ready Pilot One!" audible. And it is on G.I. circuit so it flashes when a special is won prior to launch.

BeatMaster, I like the scorecard idea alot!

#102 10 years ago

Launch LED

launch_LED_sw_3.jpglaunch_LED_sw_3.jpglaunch_LED_sw_2.jpglaunch_LED_sw_2.jpglaunch_LED_sw_1.jpglaunch_LED_sw_1.jpg launch_LED_sw_4.jpglaunch_LED_sw_4.jpg

#103 10 years ago

That is OVER THE TOP cw. Now to really light up the shooter lane put a couple of thin pieces, 1in. tall by 12in. long end to end polished stainless steel on the right side of the lane. It acts as a shooter lane mirror. If they made 1-1/4in that would be better, then it would extend to the top of the wood. I did this to mine and it really made a nice light level increase for the lane.

#104 10 years ago

cool, i like the idea of the socket and led. funny thing is, i was working on something similar for my playboy, great minds think alike. loll

i'll be working on the new score card/free play card, will post the pics when i'm done.
not sure i'm gonna use el paper on space shuttle, hard to find 12 volts.

#105 10 years ago

That's great beatmaster, I hope they really pop like cwg's shooter lane mod. Keep us informed, my cards are shot. That darn 12v really mess's up great minds.

2 weeks later
#106 10 years ago

ok was having fun tonight, not one nice free play card outhere for space shuttle, so i made one.

hope you like it.

Space_Shuttle_Free_Play_Card.jpgSpace_Shuttle_Free_Play_Card.jpg

#107 10 years ago

That is FANTASTIC beatmaster. I'm going to print this out on photo paper and laminate it. Thanks much.

#108 10 years ago

That's the spirit! Like the card. Still pondering what I want to do with mine. I've got my Space Shuttle up and running. Now I've got just a few tweaks left. And I'm ready to stencil and paint the cabinet. Only problem is I can't stop playing it.

Sound improvement: I replaced the cab speaker with a 200 Watt mid-range 4 ohm speaker by Pyramid and got a definite improvement in sound. It also lowered the treble a little. Now those sonic echos don't hurt my brain. Do not buy PYLE, they are a PYLE of crap.

12VDC power now synced with main power switch: I added a 120 V outlet mounted to a board and tapped off the load side of the power switch underneath. It uses the main power neutral. I plug the 12vdc adapter into that.

Repalced shuttle with new one and added a 6 LED strip underneath it in yellow. Lights the ramp with a nice "not too bright" yellow glow.

I'll post final pics soon. Viva La Space Shuttle!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

That's the spirit! Like the card. Still pondering what I want to do with mine. I've got my Space Shuttle up and running. Now I've got just a few tweaks left. And I'm ready to stencil and paint the cabinet. Only problem is I can't stop playing it.
Sound improvement: I replaced the cab speaker with a 200 Watt mid-range 4 ohm speaker by Pyramid and got a definite improvement in sound. It also lowered the treble a little. Now those sonic echos don't hurt my brain. Do not buy PYLE, they are a PYLE of crap.
12VDC power now synced with main power switch: I added a 120 V outlet mounted to a board and tapped off the load side of the power switch underneath. It uses the main power neutral. I plug the 12vdc adapter into that.
Repalced shuttle with new one and added a 6 LED strip underneath it in yellow. Lights the ramp with a nice "not too bright" yellow glow.

cool, waiting for pics.

#110 10 years ago

This thread makes me want a space shuttle even more! Looking great guys!

#111 10 years ago

well, why not make the other one.

here it is.

Space_Shuttle_information_Card.jpgSpace_Shuttle_information_Card.jpg

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

well, why not make the other one.
here it is.

Damn that's nice too but could you come up with one with a night time launch with solid and liquid engines kicked in and the text to one side in the smoke plume. Make the Shuttle as big as possible. Thanks

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Dang you've been busy, sounds great. Keep us up to date with pictures.

#114 10 years ago

....could you come up with one with a night time launch with solid and liquid engines kicked in and the text to one side in the smoke plume. Make the Shuttle as big as possible. Thanks

hard to have everything you ask in the same picture (already taken).

but here's 2 more options.

Space_Shuttle_information_Card_2.jpgSpace_Shuttle_information_Card_2.jpg Space_Shuttle_information_Card_3.jpgSpace_Shuttle_information_Card_3.jpg

#115 10 years ago

The cards are awesome Beatmaster.

#116 10 years ago

Those are GREAT!! Thanks! Now if I could just figure out how to light them up with EL paper, never worked with that stuff before.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those are GREAT!! Thanks! Now if I could just figure out how to light them up with EL paper, never worked with that stuff before.

you need to find 12 volts, find a 12 volts power supply just plug it inside the cabinet.

you can get a kit here:

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=cards&x=0&y=0&search_in_description=1

#118 10 years ago

This thread is too important of a resource to Space Shuttle owners.
Can I recommend OP change title to:
"Space Shuttle Club... Members Only!"
[x] add to favorites
-mof

4 months later
#119 10 years ago

Just wanted to rap up this thread. I had a lot of customs ideas coming into this project, but ..... I'll save those ideas for a machine that deserves to be made over. Looking for some seriously ugly art package. Anyway, thanks for CPR for popping out these new backglasses. Although, I was also surprised by the blue saturation. But after putting it in, it doesn't bother me. Actually I think it works better since I added a few extra blue LED's to the playfield. Even though I like the details I added to my custom backglass (can't get over the plastic look) I can't deny the feeling that when a mirrored glass is installed it now feels classic. I'll probably punch out some of the colors on the glass with brighter lights later on. And these guys deserve a lot of credit for bailing out guys like me who are dispirit to save these machines. And at a fair price.

Overall this project went pretty well. No MPU problems at all. The cab was a little heat baked but not rotted. The original glass was screwed and oven backed. But I found a nice CPR repro! The playfield had been almost completely covered by mylar on an already worn playfield. During my playfield swap I didn't find to many atrocities. The jet bumbers were fried but that's about it. New flipper parts, new coil sleeves, a very gentle contact cleaning. Clean as you go, you know. That shuttle launches.

SS_1.jpgSS_1.jpg
SS_2014d.jpgSS_2014d.jpg
SS_2014e.jpgSS_2014e.jpg

SS_2014f.jpgSS_2014f.jpg

#120 10 years ago

Dang that look nice. I still got mine and lovin it.

#121 10 years ago

Mr. Mustang, I think if you sold it you would fell perty terdy. Hang on to it for awhile. Thanks for all your nice comments and inputs. Everybody needs a little feedback and input. You and beatmaster were great.

#122 10 years ago

CW, Great job on your Space Shuttle! Good to see it reborn! I've had some progress on my Firepower. Cab is done, now time for the PF swap! I need to get my butt over to one of your game invites, sucks were so far apart tho! Hope to see you at Zapcon!image-795.jpgimage-795.jpgimage-452.jpgimage-452.jpgimage-550.jpgimage-550.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-441.jpgimage-441.jpgimage-695.jpgimage-695.jpgimage-471.jpgimage-471.jpg

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Hope to see you at Zapcon!

I fell pretty much committed to that gig so I'll PM you when I'm on duty! Thanks for the comment and I hope we can play this one 2 player.

#124 10 years ago

Firepower will fell great in your hands when your done. That looks like one solid build. Pinball head yet?

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Firepower will fell great in your hands when your done. That looks like one solid build. Pinball head yet?

Once I complete the PF swap and get it done I'll call myself a pinhead, with a complete pin restore and a full shop on my STTNG I'll fell I've earned it! I was gonna bring the Firepower but after reading that Pinlawyer was bringing his, i may bring my JM instead. I look forward to meeting you and hopefully playing "the one that got away"...LOL!

#126 10 years ago

nice resto cwg29.

man that firepower is gonna look sweet.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I look forward to meeting you and hopefully playing "the one that got away"...LOL!

Am I trolling? Dude that will be awesome!

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Mr. Mustang, I think if you sold it you would fell perty terdy. Hang on to it for awhile. Thanks for all your nice comments and inputs. Everybody needs a little feedback and input. You and beatmaster were great.

You are one cool dude Mr.cwg29 with a lot of great ideas that you made real for our Shuttles and I thank you. I don't plan on EVER selling it, if I can help it. lol

What's the next project?

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

I fell pretty much committed to that gig so I'll PM you when I'm on duty! Thanks for the comment and I hope we can play this one 2 player.

R u bringing ur Flash? I've drooled over the pics on ur post, one of the best custom builds ive seen!

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

R u bringing ur Flash?

Affirmative. I hope it lives up to your expectations. I am an old Heavy Metal Magazine fan from the late 70's. That is the inspiration for most of my art. So a 1979 Flash worked out better than I expected.

#131 10 years ago

OK, one more artistic swing. Just enjoying the bouncing of light on the glass. Not free for reproduction.

SS_2014cwg.jpgSS_2014cwg.jpg

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Not free for reproduction.

What? lol...

All I know is I've got a backglass and a set of plastics. Two outta three ain't bad for now.

#133 10 years ago

I know, funny huh. I just think it would make a great album cover. Probably 20 years too late! You'll get there Frax. Hang in there.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

I know, funny huh. I just think it would make a great album cover. Probably 20 years too late! You'll get there Frax. Hang in there.

Gonna reissue a Major Tom single?

I've BEEN there, just trying to get back. Slowly. I kinda put a crimp in that yesterday though.

9 years later
#135 1 year ago

Seriously old thread, but are you still making the launch plastics?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-custom/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.