SS_2014f.jpg
SS_2014e.jpg
SS_2014d.jpg
SS_1.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card_3.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card_2.jpg
Space_Shuttle_information_Card.jpg
Space_Shuttle_Free_Play_Card.jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 10 years ago

Were the 80s Sega games manufactured in Japan?

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think so.

#53 10 years ago

That's interesting. I would love some more history from this period of Sega's pinball-dom.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yes, Sega made them from 1972-1979.

Some great titles like "Big Together", " and "Woman-Lib".

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/japanesepinballs/

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&mfgid=279

#55 10 years ago

If anybody knows of a Sega SS for sale please let me know?

Thanks,
Charlie

#56 10 years ago

Here is the launch plastic installed. Details: printed on photopaper, sealed with triple clear, and attached with clear tape on back of Lexan plastic. I experimented with spraying triple clear on plastic and laying photo on top. That failed twice, could not remove the air bubbles, looks foggy. Turns out the simplest tricks are the best (in my opinion).

Going to start the CPR playfield swap today and will consider the extra lighting of playfield as I go. For anyone still interested in the launch plastic I can make a small batch of extras. Just need to pay for materials so I'll ask for $7 each. Or if you want to make your own I'll gladly share the shuttle image. PM if interested.

Installed_resized2.jpgInstalled_resized2.jpg

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Once you install the grounded plug that cross voltage should disappear. At least it did on my Shuttle. I got zapped real good like that. With the ground prong missing, you've got voltage that's normally shunted down the ground braid and out of the game having to find a place to go. Since that braid is touching your coin door or rails and whatnot, you're acting as the ground. You'll probably find that you don't get zapped as much wearing sneakers, but like you said, sneak between two games where one is grounded and one isn't, and you're the conductor to the other game's grounded rails. I doubt that you will blow your breaker once you replace the cord.

Thanks Frax! Yep, replaced plug and problem went away, no side effects.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Here is the launch plastic installed.

You did a good job matching the look and feel of the game!

Try printing it on white waterslide decal paper and making a plastic sandwich, too.

#59 10 years ago

Sweet. Glad that got fixed. I hate getting zapped lol.

Even I've gotta agree here. The art style didn't particularly thrill me in full res, but scaled down and in the game, it looks like it belongs there. NICE touch with the red outline to match the other plastics.....just noticed that. 7 bucks...extremely reasonable!

#60 10 years ago

Wow, nice job! It really does look original.

#61 10 years ago

Love the artwork. Is it me, or are those screws mis-aligned?

#62 10 years ago

i'll take one, would you ship to canada (small bubble envelope, should be cheap) i'll pay for shipping.

care to explain/share what material/way you used? if you don't ship to canada.

#63 10 years ago

PM sent. I want mine without the screw holes so I can attach it with a couple small spots of velcro. Riiiip! Love that sound. Now I'll have to modify my mirror blade on that side.

#64 10 years ago

Ya about those drill holes. I got to stay home from work and play pinball, catch was I got to watch 3 kids. I forgot how to measure towards the end of the day.

On making custom plastics, I learned from this guy: http://www.rainfall.com/pinball1/machines/Gottlieb-Airport-1969/How-To-Make-Pinball-Plastics-Restoration-Repair.html

It works for me. On a large project I would have it printed on translight. I tried photo paper on this one and it actually came out to my satisfaction.

#66 10 years ago

Here's a pic of another batch. Shrank the image down a hair to allow more plastic edge to give the tape something to stick to. MustangPaul suggested no screw holes. Just use velcro. Good idea.

batch2_2s.jpgbatch2_2s.jpg

#67 10 years ago

looks great. Hope there's enough room under the printed part to put the velcro on otherwise you'll see the velcro under the clear part.

#68 10 years ago

Wouldn't it look cool with that EL paper under it.

#69 10 years ago

I bought strips of velcro (free with every purchase!) to check the room . I cut them in half length wise and it clears the clear with plenty of surface on the rails to attach to. Always compromises to be found. EL paper, hmmmm

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wouldn't it look cool with that EL paper under it.

i have some, gonna try that when i get it.

#72 10 years ago

A small hole at the top of the plastic, and this would be a really neat custom key ring for this title!
--Ed

#73 10 years ago

Great. The less velcro the better. Sure wish you could buy that stuff with different amounts of attachment strength, but I suppose I can figure out a way to make it less sticky.

With all these ideas that we are coming up for you it could be the beginning of a small mod business for you.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i have some, gonna try that when i get it.

You have GOT to let us know how it works out. Only one side of the paper lights up right?

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

.... Only one side of the paper lights up right?

yep, my only concern is, i'm gonna have to cut it to match the plastic. also, i found another el paper with an Input Voltage: 8v - 13v, about the same size.

should i go white or blue with the el paper?
i'm about to place my order, i'm gonna add it to my basket, probably tonight.

bob.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yep, my only concern is, i'm gonna have to cut it to match the plastic. also, i found another el paper with an Input Voltage: 8v - 13v, about the same size.
should i go white or blue with the el paper?
i'm about to place my order, i'm gonna add it to my basket, probably tonight.
bob.

I'd say white, but how bright is it. Ask cwg29 what he thinks. If it's too bright it might wash out the printed.colors an the plastic. How expensive is that stuff? Thanks for trying this.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'd say white, but how bright is it. Ask cwg29 what he thinks. If it's too bright it might wash out the printed.colors an the plastic. How expensive is that stuff? Thanks for trying this.

i took both, white and blue, i can use it for something else.
those are about $5 each.
so now all i have to do is wait for it, probably 2 weeks before i get it.
i'll try with what i have here, socket with flexible leds and the el paper i have (but too big).

cwg29 did i nice job so i think it's gonna look great.

#79 10 years ago

I like the EL Paper idea but since I decided to replace the paper covered wood rails with red pine I decided to customize them with LED strip pockets at the bottom in a couple of spots. Drilled a small hole underneath the rail to punch the wire thru the table. This gave me a chance to see the launch plastic lit with blue:

100_2455.JPG100_2455.JPG 100_2457.JPG100_2457.JPG 100_2459.JPG100_2459.JPG

#80 10 years ago

Wonder what it looks like with white, the blue looks like it washes out the reds and oranges of the exhaust and if you could space the lights a little farther apart to light the image more evenly or put in 4 bulbs. Aren't I picky.

#81 10 years ago

I don't have paper covered wood rails on mine. And where did you get the 3 led strip? I imagine they are 12v, what did ya hook them into?

#82 10 years ago

Picky is good and I look at how these materials play in the light too. The led strip is 12 VDC and comes by the roll (eBay: 5M Blue 5050 SMD 300 LEDs Waterproof). It can be cut up in 3 light sections. DMD era machines have a 12v circuit but on this one I'll hsve to use a small power adapter. My early solid state machines use that wallpaper on the rails. Hate it man.

#83 10 years ago

nice, i like what you did with leds.
might try that too, i have a strip of rgb somewhere with the controler.

excellent idea with the red pine wood rail.
i was think of re-doing mine glossy black or same color of the cabinet.

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

Picky is good and I look at how these materials play in the light too. The led strip is 12 VDC and comes by the roll (eBay: 5M Blue 5050 SMD 300 LEDs Waterproof). It can be cut up in 3 light sections. DMD era machines have a 12v circuit but on this one I'll hsve to use a small power adapter. My early solid state machines use that wallpaper on the rails. Hate it man.

12 VDC that's what I thought, I have the rgb stuff on the underside of the game, looks cool. Your pic. threw me when I saw just those 2 wires coming off the leds. To bad somebody doesn't make a 6.3V version of those strips. I imagine the el paper would have that same power problem.

1 week later
#85 10 years ago

just received my plastic from cwg29, thank, looks good, gonna have to fix a little bump in the paper from the tape, nothing bad.

i'm gonna try with a few leds i got here and a spare with el paper i got, still waiting on my order for the other el paper blue and white.

i'll keep you posted.

#86 10 years ago

I sent my payment today so should have it by Monday.

#87 10 years ago

Whew, I'm glad you got it beatmaster. I try to make the pieces to the best of my ability. But without the help of hi tech equipment there are limits. And I try to price it as low as I think as I can go. I've gotten pretty close to finishing the playfield swap and it's looking pretty good. The shuttle and ramp is going to slow me down though, I have some ideas

#88 10 years ago

CW,

WOW, I dont feel bad at all about losing the Space Shuttle to you! Your giving it more love than i have skill for. Im glad to see it went to someone who loves it. The progress looks great, i look forward to seeing the PF swap. You have to let me play it sometime!

#89 10 years ago

Whew, I'm glad you got it beatmaster. I try to make the pieces to the best of my ability. But without the help of hi tech equipment there are limits. And I try to price it as low as I think as I can go. I've gotten pretty close to finishing the playfield swap and it's looking pretty good. The shuttle and ramp is going to slow me down though, I have some ideas

hey no prob cwg, it's gonna be great!
here's an idea for your space shuttle toy, something i did a while back restoring the shuttle toy.

Space_Shuttle_toy_(before-after).jpgSpace_Shuttle_toy_(before-after).jpg Suttle_with_leds_1.JPGSuttle_with_leds_1.JPG

#90 10 years ago

Hey CW, your plastic and rail mod came today and they look GREAT!!! Thanks

Now when are you going to do that backglass remake? I like it especially if you could keep the colors when back lit.

#91 10 years ago

Hey CW, your plastic and rail mod came today and they look GREAT!!! Thanks
Now when are you going to do that backglass remake? I like it especially if you could keep the colors when back lit.

Glad you got it. My backglass is installed already MustangPaul, so are you saying you need one? I still want to play with the lighting behind it a little.

Just got the playfield back in the box yesterday. Turned it on, GI light circuit short somewhere and flasher bulbs in center stay on all the time. All game features are good. I have some tracing to do. No black smoke! Repainted the inner box. Added a saphire blue metalic glitter and clear coated.

Have an idea for the pop bumpers. A custom wet slide decal for a blue cap.

glitter.jpgglitter.jpg SS_Cap_print_1b_dirt_small.jpgSS_Cap_print_1b_dirt_small.jpg

#92 10 years ago

:-/=Just a thought, but aren't your pop caps covered up by the big triangle plastic, or are you planning on leaving it off?

(edit) Nevermind, I see. The edges would be exposed around the "scaffolding" plastic. Cool.

#93 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

:-/=Just a thought, but aren't your pop caps covered up by the big triangle plastic, or are you planning on leaving it off?
(edit) Nevermind, I see. The edges would be exposed around the "scaffolding" plastic. Cool.

And all blue areas are to be cut out. The outer circle will turn into flaps that fold down on the sides.

#94 10 years ago

Excellent idea.

#95 10 years ago

coming along great, i like the stars on the inside of the cab.

#96 10 years ago

Oh, you guys are bonkers lol. I never turned mine on doing the swap until I had everything hooked up and installed, lol. I'd be afraid loose wire ends would short out on things lol... I did cut EVERY connection and resolder everything...and I do mean EVERYTHING though. =P

#97 10 years ago

ok so this is what i did so far with cwg29's plastic shooter lane.

el paper, same one used for score cards (pinball center).
pictures in the dark/day, not bad but not strong enough.
problem with el paper is you need an inverter and 12 volt to look good.
i tried the other part i was waiting for... not good at all.

i think what cwg did with the leds is good, no extra stuff.
i' d probably try 2 super flex with a socket into the g.i.

the other thing i'd like to try is, re-print his picture on backlite film (i have some here) like i did with my score cards, this way the light from the el paper will be much brighter and colors will pop.

cwg if you can pm me for my e-mail, i'd like to try that if it's ok with you.

thank, bob.

ss_plastic_shooter_lane(day).JPGss_plastic_shooter_lane(day).JPG ss_plastic_shooter_lane_(in_dark).JPGss_plastic_shooter_lane_(in_dark).JPG

#98 10 years ago

Looks like your having fun beatmaster. What do your scorecards look like? I could use some nice ones for my Shuttle.

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like your having fun beatmaster. What do your scorecards look like? I could use some nice ones for my Shuttle.

actualy it was for my other machines, got the el paper for my lotr, never made one for space shuttle but i could work on that.

#100 10 years ago

That would make a cool mod, could you light them with just a bulb or 2 instead of el paper? Installing a socket or 2 would work better, when you turn the game on they would light up also. I'd buy it. You and cwg are pretty handy guys.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-custom/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.