(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 10 years ago

Just pulled the trigger on the backglass this morning. I have new plastics, new shuttle and ramps installed in mine, now if I could only find the time (and guts) to swap out my playfield

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

What kind off nails do you use to put the side rails on with? Can you paint with them on and just tape them up?

Use spiral nails:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-6505-K

Use a flush cutter to yank the head of the old ones out far enough to grip it with a pair of pliers:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-5-in-Lightweight-Flush-Cutter-D275-5/100647983#

I was hesitant to remove siderails, but honestly it's a good practice. Not only are most nails rusty, but the siderails usually need to be polished, or dents removed, or crud removed from the inside. You'll likely need to pop some toothpicks in the existing holes to give the new nails something to grip on.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from Jor0822:

Does anyone have an instruction manual which is easier to read than the one linked on IPDB?

Vid scanned an original, PM sent!

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Here are some comparison images I took of a friends SS with the Original Glass & the Repro

That "SPACE SHUTTLE" logo REALLY pops in the photos, I can't wait until mine comes

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Thanks for getting this project done. Been looking foward to having one of these for a long time, and takes a good bit of sting out of not having the actual machine now

You bought the backglass JUST to hang on the wall? You need to get a machine

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

if I found a plastics set (which I can't find anywhere), then I would probably go ahead and buy another playfield

Holy crap you're right, I've checked the usual 4-5 vendors and all out of stock. Ironic the plastics sets sold out but they still have playfields.

1 week later
#133 10 years ago

Got my SS backglass from CPR today. I'm seeing the same blue hue everyone else is. However with that said:
It does POP, the colors are very vibrant
It is nice having a backglass that doesn't have paint chipped off on the edges
The new art, looking at it close up, is less dithered than the original. You can tell there's a big difference between 1986 printing and 2014 printing.
spaceshuttle.jpgspaceshuttle.jpg

#141 10 years ago

The wire gate isn't that complicated, yet this subject keeps coming up.
bay area had it in stock for a while but not now:
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MX-12-6653&Category_Code=

If I bought some stainless stock and recreated mine, I wonder how many would need one?

1 month later
#193 10 years ago
Quoted from popeboy:

Just curious if anyone has tried something like this...
ebay.com link

No offense to Jeff, but a LOT of his decals for inserts don't line up.

2 months later
#244 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Does the stencil artwork already exist in a file format that a waterjet machine could use?

The vector art would be perfect for CNC use.

Waterjet would be better than cnc, less burrs.. Plus waterjet will be faster and can go down to a 1mm tip, CNC would require multiple tips and even then it would be hard to get down to 1mm on a CNC.

I would imagine for each plate (each layer, per side) it would probably cost you at least $50 a piece.. But compare that to $130 for a set of stickers that you can use once.

3 months later
#316 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

To fix that pf would cost you so much time and money you'd be better finding a new one

If I remember right, these guys charge $500 to restore a playfield (you have to strip it yourself). Same price as a CPR playfield (which isn't available anymore)
http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/Home.html

#319 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

but there's no way that the metal rod on the right side will adequately hold the playfield in place upright. And if I go beyond upright, the playfield ramps hit the wooden rails. What's the trick?

The metal rod is useless. Even if it stays, it'll tilt to the left. Most people add a strip of wood in the very back (so the back plastics don't crack), and just rest it on the rails of the side of the cabinet, and tilt it back towards the backbox.

1 week later
#342 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Was Space Shuttle NASA endorsed?

I don't think so. There are no logos, and the shuttle is is called "defender" and not one of the real shuttle names. Though there is a "NASA" text on the shuttle, but the font is generic.

#346 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I await his return of the board and have much anticipation for its installation!

I'm amazed he's willing to fix boards in his spare time like that, the guy is an former NASA scientist for crying out loud
Any idea what he charges in case I ever have board problems?

#349 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

How does putting a decal on end up impacting play?

Stickers that are that thin you really won't notice. If you're touching up other areas and intend on clearing anyway, the clear should level it out.

#389 9 years ago

Can somone take a photo of the sticker on the backbox GI? Mine is so sunfaded I can't even make out what it says anymore:
space_shuttle_backbox_sticker.jpgspace_shuttle_backbox_sticker.jpg

#391 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

FIVE DISPLAYS CONNECTED AS SHOWN.

Thank you sir! Here's a cleaned up version in case anyone else needs one. It is 1 scale (5" wide).
space_shuttle_backbox_connector_sticker.jpgspace_shuttle_backbox_connector_sticker.jpg

#392 9 years ago

3 fit on a sheet, so I have 2 spare stickers. If you want one mailed to you, PM me an address.

#409 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Yup, the ringing seems to be right according to other videos on youtube that I've seen. It's just really shocking to hear coming from a solid state pinball

That's why it's awesome. It's modern pinball with old school ringing

#412 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Got my new (used) displays today! They work!

Woo! glad those worked out.

Quoted from ExitWound:

Bought a PinballPCB sound board

I had to replace my soundboard after I messed up a solder job trying to fix mine, but I bought a refurb from k's arcade. Pinballpcb intrigues me, thinking about buying their version of the system 7 cpu / driverboard vs rottendog.

I'm curious what the number means in the upper left, I've got a #36 on mine (did they mark which pinball build for the day to make it easier to troubleshoot)?

1 week later
#439 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

not sure what im going to do yet

If you're reluctant to removing the siderails, it's easy (and you're going to want to replace the worn rusty nails anyway):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-6505-K

Before you put the rails back on, polish them with sandpaper (work your way up to 600 grit), then put in your grain with a scotch brite pad.

#443 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

that's a good price paul

I second that. If I didn't already have one, It'd be worth the drive up there.

#452 9 years ago

Is there even an aftermarket MPU available for these?

No, and I've contacted rottendog to see if they would and they said there isn't enough demand (only 3 machines used this CPU, so 15k boards at best). You can either ship it to Ed Cheung, bring it to a show like Chicago Expo and let Rob T repair it, or sell it off and let someone else repair it and just buy a refurb from K's arcade.

** edit: this must be recent, but pinballpcb is going to be releasing a brand new system 9-11c MPU board with updated non-obsolete components, this is awesome news!
http://www.pinballpcb.com/System9-11cMainBoard.html

#457 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

All sounds work. All speech works. I'm ecstatic! Now to put it all back together and see how it plays!

200[1].gif200[1].gif

2 weeks later
#506 9 years ago

I bought an aftermarket Pyle speaker off amazon for $14 to replace the stock bottom speaker. Of course there isn't much driving it so not sure I can tell the difference.

#535 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'm a stickler for symmetry. I'd go with two shuttles

This /\

Also do you intend to drill holes for a speaker grill through the NASA logo? And if the black areas represent cut-out sections, you'll need to do some adjustments otherwise you'll have sections of the shuttle that will fall out after cutting (they can't float in space). That means joining them with thin sections of material (think army font)
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=114

#538 9 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

The material will be stainless steel, and the black areas will be cutouts, like a stencil. So the fabric will show through for contrast (and sound transmisison of course, hence the huge NASA logo where the speaker actually lives).

I've done waterjet parts before. I'm figuring once you get the vector done those should cost you between $25-$50 per part. Let me know if you need any help converting the art. I really do like this idea.

As far as attaching, there "should" be enough surface area to attach to the 2 channels. If not, the speaker panel isn't that far back from the backbox trim
spaceshuttlelarge[1].jpgspaceshuttlelarge[1].jpg

#541 9 years ago

Goingincircles: Love this mod, so did some quick tracing in autocad. Be happy to share the file with you:
grill.jpggrill.jpg
shuttle_closeup.jpgshuttle_closeup.jpg

#552 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Thinking a dark transparent blue ramp for Space Shuttle. Anyone interested?

I would try to match the blue of the plastics. I think I'd actually want it clear so I can backlight it, so yes I'm in.

here's a concept photo

Yea, the unsymmetrical doesn't look right. Every grill set I've seen is symmetrical. There's a reason why more symmetrical faces are more beautiful, our eyes are prejudice.

1 week later
#591 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I'm considering this decal set for my SS: ebay.com link » Space Shuttle Pinball Machine Insert Decals Licensed

Jeff has a large library of art (and one of the few that's reproducing various pop bumper caps), but his stuff isn't always accurate or complete, and I don't think any of it is licensed as far as I know.

1 month later
#668 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

It definitely has been an honor to design patches

My wife is a huge NASA enthusiast, she went to space camp twice and she has every single patch ever released. We were also lucky enough to watch the final launch
5923956773_d5e2c025e2_b.jpg5923956773_d5e2c025e2_b.jpg
5924519416_b700b92d45_z.jpg5924519416_b700b92d45_z.jpg

#675 9 years ago
Quoted from BD_Designs:

Great pics, toyotaboy (from this morning I assume?)

No, that was from STS-135.

Quoted from BD_Designs:

I was fortunate enough to see 3 launches during the Shuttle program (including STS-135), all from the closest viewing site at KSC, about 3 miles from the pad

I think the causeway got you within 5 miles of the launch, or if you hang out at the museum it's more like 7-8. You must have been in the special VIP bleachers.

My really question is... How do you only have addams family in your collection? Surely there's a space shuttle in texas somewhere?

1 month later
#735 9 years ago

My vote is the double williams logo on each side. Let us know when you start making them.

#743 9 years ago

The sets always came with an extra set of slings, and they don't come with feet, you have to make your own.

#746 9 years ago

since I already got my "one-off family discount" - would likely be around $75 or so (material, machine set up and run time, etc)

I'm willing to bet most of that cost is the stainless material. I bet it could be reduced to 1/4 the cost if it were made out of aluminum, would just have to polish it afterwards.

#751 9 years ago

you may need a license, or at least permission, from pps if you're selling something with the Williams logo

it's a valid point, heck NASA may even want license money. PPS deals with small vendors all the time, the licensing (to make it legal) may not be that much.

1 week later
#776 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

So exactly what is the strategy here?

buy a lotto ticket, that's never going to happen again

9 months later
#931 8 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

I'm in desperate need of a wiring harness for Space Shuttle. Got a project with crazy messed up wiring . Let me know if you know anyone that can help out. Thx

I've seen a populated playfield or two for sale over the years with bad playfields. Was nearly tempted to buy one for $300 out of indiana about a year back. Keep your eyes out, one is bound to pop up.

3 weeks later
#939 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

They are sending out the new boards to the people who have emailed them in the past asking about it, it covers system 9-11c, they should update the website soon, i will let you guys know how i make out when it gets here
http://www.pinballpcb.com/

What the hell? I've emailed them, I didn't get an email. Oh well, just happy that board is moving past the test phase. Love that company.

#953 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'm still producing these! Have three blue "plug and plays" boxed ready to go at the moment

wrong thread

1 week later
#1009 8 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I bought a set from a user here on pinside for $75. Work great! Look great!

me

4 months later
#1103 8 years ago
Quoted from MiamiRedSkin:

Just wondering, what is the going rate for a pretty nice original Space Shuttle with minimal playfield wear?

I'd say bare minimum $1000, you could pay a much as $1600 (non-CPR)

#1108 8 years ago
Quoted from sagejr:

Hello Space Shuttle fans. Anyone have a decent back glass for sale?

I still have my original after buying the CPR, light flaking at bottom in the black section

4 months later
#1211 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Anybody gotta old backglass laying around?? Dont have to be perfect??

I've tried twice to sell my old one. They either found another source, or changed their mind.

4 years later
#3230 3 years ago

It's come to my attention by some local pinball friends that the drop target has become unobtanium. So I 3d modeled it and printed some replacement parts. If anyone else needs a replacement, I uploaded it to thingiverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4613394

#3233 3 years ago
Quoted from oliviarium:

Well, great minds think alike, we just modeled that drop target a couple of weeks ago!
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4602509
But by far, I think this is our greatest achievement in 3D modelling -
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4005935

awe snap, wonder why I couldn't find it. I did do some optimization to make it more printer friendly (thicker boss wall, chamfered the material saver strips)

#3252 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Nice job on this! Just curious how strong the 3D printed material is versus the original (nylon?) drop targets. Does the material hold up and can it take a beating like standard in-line drop targets?

I printed in PLA+ which seems like it would hold up. My target is fine, but my friend's games have really shotty fixes in theirs so anything is better than what they have now. I told them if it doesn't hold up, go to xometry.com and order parts in HP fusionjet nylon 12. VERY strong, and only $9 a piece.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toyotaboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=toyotaboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.