(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ss-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2084 4 years ago

Price check for a Space Shuttle with the typical completely roached playfield?
I know that there are hot dog hardtops currently available.

Also, concerned about the System 9 Rottendog Board...
Any idea when it will be available?
Any idea about what it may end up costing?

The guy is asking $1000, which obviously isn't happening.

What does a shopped, "good boards, reflowed, reseated, no corrosion" with a good playfield copy go for?

3 weeks later
#2109 4 years ago

I've come across THREE Space Shuttles: one at the local pinball distributor...he's fixing it and gonna charge WWWAAAAYYYY more than I can muster (he said $3k). A Project for $1000 OBO with roached playfield and the guy has no idea what else is wrong with it--won't respond to questions--doesnt' know the answers to them and must feel like answers would diminish his "lotto score" and then a guy who has a project that he has been sitting on for at least five years and he plans to "get around to it someday."

I'm on the hunt for a Space Shuttle and can't seem to find one...I know System 9 boards are tough to replace so obviously need one with clean boards--ok if they need to be rebuilt, just want minimal/no acid damage. I know the playfields are always in horrible shape...what are other common probs/things to look out for?

Any advice?

#2111 4 years ago
Quoted from Completist:

The ramp is a biggy imo. You will want to make sure the ramp is in decent shape. Often broken at the shitty ramp entry plate but you can make a new proper flap and rivet it on. Starship may reproduce them one day but hopefully Freeplay40 will do one of his kickass blue ramps for it. I think that would look sweet!
I picked up a project a year ago and i finally wheeled it into the shop yesterday. I did find a rebuilt original System 9 MPU but it wasn’t cheap. Should have this up and running again soon. I rebuilt the PS and am getting good voltages so off to a good start.

Do you think mirror blades would do anything for this pin? Seems like it's pretty dark...might be kinda cool with mirrors...

The ramp is an issue. Boards are an issue. Anything else?

#2124 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

No, I am not stupid. I will prove it now by being done trying to talk sensibly to someone who will not or cannot reciprocate or understand.

I think that $3k is a stretch for any 35 year old pin. Not saying that there aren't pristine examples out there"worth that much to a person with means" but it doesn't mean that it is a wise way to spend hobby money. There's one born every minute. My aim is not and never will be to have the absolute most pristine example. I also shudder to think of pinball machines as "investments"--they aren't, they're amusements.

I prefer projects so I can afford to get a solidly playable, cosmetically attractive, reliable pinball machine in the end.

"Bulletproofed" and "shopped" and any other term out there including "restored" can vary widely in meaning from person to person.

#2126 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

A special shout out of thanks to the techs who helped me get the balls rolling again. My shuttle had been neglected for 15 years and stored in some very unideal locations over that time butt with a little help it's now performing flawlessly. Locally, thanks Jim,the flipper rebuild is rock-solid, also Edward Cheung, words cannot express how good I feel about the work he did on my board, I was told more than once,"there's nothing we can do", "it's too far gone"or my personal favorite,"strip it down and make jewelry out of the components you can sell them on Pinterest". What was once a very temperamental machine is now a tamed wild beast. Also he helped with a special mod for the machine but I will get into another time. And lastly thanks to the pinsiders, this forum has been fantastic for tips and tricks and simple fixes.What a wonderful forum for people like us, that just want to keep playing with their balls.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OK, I gotta know what the astronaut toy is...

4 months later
#2236 4 years ago

Ok, I gotta ask.
I'm looking for a project Space Shuttle and not having luck.
Until today. Sort of.
I have a line on a cabinet.
I'd need a complete board set, a populated playfield and a back glass...and a coin door.
The harnesses are there.
What are the chances that I could find what I need within a couple of months and at what prices?

#2239 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Next to impossible... The system 9 cpu board is hard to find and expensive. You could run off a system 11 board with modified roms though. Still looking at $400 for that one board alone. And then you still have to find a playfield. My honest opinion would be not to get it unless you’re willing to wait years to find all the parts. And you’re gonna have more into it then just buying a working game.

My inclination was to avoid it, but wanted to confirm.

I'm aware that the system 9 boards are tough to replace (only three titles used system 9) and that previous replacement board sets have been discontinued due to bugginess.
I suspected that the glass would be easy-ish but that the playfield and coin door would be tough.

#2241 4 years ago

Isn't the way it works like this?
Buy ratty cabinet for too much money.
Holy grail pin shows up.
Second example of holy grail pin shows up for less money and in better shape.
Fall off a ladder and have huge medical bill.
Can't buy either grail pin.
Ratty cabinet falls apart.

I was just trying to get a shot at a decent pin!

3 months later
#2374 4 years ago

Has anyone tried the non-glare playfield glass?

#2379 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

"Dorky" or not. You don't even notice it when standing in front of it, and for $4.00 does the job perfectly. No Glare. Better than spending $$$ for non-glare glass.[quoted image]

Funny thing. I had noticed the glare on Space Shuttle but I hadn't "put it together" that there was always a glare.

Yours looks great!

#2387 4 years ago

Is someone going to spill the beans on this alleged easter egg?

3 weeks later
#2437 4 years ago

Stopped by the guy with the "not for sale project Space Shuttle with $800 in it but check back in a year or so" today....still not for sale. Sigh.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ss-pinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.