(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,421 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 105 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 784 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200218_214534 (resized).jpg
Clear caps (resized).jpg
angle 1 (resized).jpg
angle 2 (resized).jpg
angle 3 (resized).jpg
20200211_100859 (resized).jpg
20200212_172329 (resized).jpg
20200212_172417 (resized).jpg
20200212_172127 (resized).jpg
20200206_185156 (resized).jpg
20200206_183731 (resized).jpg
20200206_183536 (resized).jpg
20200206_183417 (resized).jpg
20200205_184806 (resized).jpg
20200205_184806 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191011_120906 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (6 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (6 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (6 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (5 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (24 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1137 3 years ago

Woohoo, thrilled to finally join this club! I worked on the space shuttle program for nine years, so this pin was a must for me. Finally got one!

ssnight_(resized).jpg

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

I was able to have our only NE astronaut sign my Shuttle.

Sweet! Clayton's a nice guy, naturally. I supported a few of his missions.

Quoted from Jaeg:

Do you have access to any shuttle astronauts?

I certainly did, back in the day -- I'd meet the crews for each mission I was supporting; we'd give them a briefing when they came out for launch "dress rehearsal". Typically they'd hang out at a local bar with us either before and/or after the mission too as thanks for prepping the vehicle. Obviously, since we haven't been launching humans from Kennedy Space Center recently, they don't come around here much -- but some do, on occasion. I plan to acquire some autographs whenever I can, probably in silver on the plastics like Ed Cheung did.

#1143 3 years ago

It was practically begging for this quick patch mod, due to its perfect fit...

Before: Before NASA Patch Mod

After: After NASA Patch Mod

#1145 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I LOVE that. Can you get any more? I'd like one for my game.

Sure can. How's $7 shipped? I can ship today and it'll even come postmarked from the Kennedy Space Center.

#1149 3 years ago

Thanks guys, Paul's went out today, sohchx's will go out tomorrow.

3 weeks later
#1156 3 years ago

Slick ramp protectors!

#1157 3 years ago

Not to steal 20eyes's thunder (those are some sweet ramp protectors), but I incorporated another NASA meatball mod today.

First: I found this nice keychain. VERY nice, it has some depth, and when the light hits it, the blue shimmers.
The Keychain

Just so happens, it's a PERFECT fit for that middle spot on the coin door. So...
Next: I trimmed the chain portion off:
Trimmed off the chain

And, simple as that, a little fun-tac on the the back, and voila!
Here are the BEFORE pictures, with flash then without flash:
Before, with flash then without

AFTER pictures:
After, with flash then without

More AFTER pictures, close up:
After, close up

#1158 3 years ago

....and don't judge my green START button sticker. I put them on all my machines, because often times friends come play and don't know what button is where. lol

#1160 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey that works slick. You should put a lit start button on like beatmaster and I.

Sweet. Pics / DIY?

1 week later
#1166 3 years ago

Officially started collecting astronaut autographs on my plastics today. First one acquired: Rick Searfoss, STS-58, -76, & -90.

20160726_165000_(resized).jpg

#1169 3 years ago

Mmm, that playfield...

#1179 3 years ago

(Accidental post courtesy of my daughter. No content.)

1 week later
#1190 3 years ago

Picked up four more astronaut autographs today:
(top) Bob Behnken, STS-123, -130
(middle upper) Andy Allen, STS-46, -62, -75
(middle lower) Bob Cabana, STS-41, -53, -65, -88
(bottom) Doug Hurley, STS-127, -135

20160811_192613_(resized).jpg

#1197 3 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

All gone! I will update everyone by Monday on shipping costs. My only fee is a thumbs up!
Enjoy, Crew Members!

Figures, the one day I haven't been on...

1 week later
#1209 3 years ago

Got my flyer yesterday, thanks Harvs! Excellent protective packaging.

#1214 3 years ago

I have some more of the patches & keychains if anyone else wants one (or both), just shoot me a PM.

#1239 3 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

It's really cool knowing that they are official and come from someone who was involved with the shuttle program. I missed it earlier in the thread but learned through corresponding with Andy that he was an Orbiter Structures Engineer on the space shuttle program (for United Space Alliance, NASA's prime contractor for processing the space shuttle) from 2003 - 2012 (missions STS-114 thru -135, and Transition & Retirement). My machine just got cooler! Thanks man!

Quoted from MustangPaul:

It looks like you got another one. Andy has more smarts in his pinky finger then I have in my whole body. I'd LOVE to see how he could shoot down the clown on FB that say the Shuttle was fake and that all of our rocket launches have gone in the drink. "Look how the smoke trail curves till it disapeares into the sea so see it never went up, it crashed into the sea". These damn people are dumber then mud. Another good one is "the Shuttle is fake because look how skinny the metal is that holds the nose to the rocket, that's not strong enough to hold it to the rocket".

Thanks guys. Of course, being in Structures means that I'm no sparky, which is why I still have so much to learn about reading these electrical / electronic schematics!

Wow, do people really say stuff like that...? Oy, super facepalm...

Of course, if anyone wants to get up close and personal, the three space-flown orbiters are on display now so I definitely recommend checking them out. I'm biased, but the setup and corresponding informational displays we have for Atlantis down here in FL are amazing. You physically get really close to her so you can see all the amazing detail -- plus if you contact me ahead of time and if I'm available, I'll go with you to give you the structures engineer's tour, with better detail on the vehicle and her parts/components.

6fc749d1bcb04f9a0419c1684dfc98be_pz2e_iirb (resized).png

#1241 3 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Have you seen any of the tiles from a shuttle for sale on ebay, are the legit?

It depends how they were originally excessed. Usually the small "souvenir" style pieces are typically kosher. A few years back, some folks in my town got busted for taking scrap tiles and trying to sell them. No, no, no! Trash or not, still government property...

1 week later
#1264 3 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

4. Lane change on U,S,A from flippers not working. Is this part of the EOS switch having issues?

Firstly, as djreddog said, only the right flipper controls the U-S-A position. Second, there's a diode on the EOS switch stackup for the right flipper (just compare to the left flipper EOS switches) -- if this diode comes loose (broken solder), this feature won't work. (I ran onto this on my machine.) So I'd recommend you be sure to check this too.

#1267 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

I. Never realized that the right flipper initiated a lane change in this game... Would someone be so awesome as to shoot a quick video showing what hitting the right flipper for the lane change actually does? Is there a ramp that moves? Some sort of fun that changes position?
If you could toss it on YouTube, and post a link, that would ROCK!

It's not as fancy as you're making it sound, lol. Above the pop bumpers, there are the three rollover lanes, labeled U, S, and A. When the ball rolls through a lane, its corresponding letter lights up. When you light all three, the bonus multiplier increases and the U/S/A lights turn off again (so you can try to repeat the process). The "lane change" we're describing is simply changing which lane is lit (if you've already lit one or two of them). For example, if the ball rolls down the U lane, U lights up. Then maybe the pop bumper hits the ball back up the S lane, so S lights up. (Now U and S are lit.) Then maybe it looks like the ball will come back down the S lane again -- but it's already lit, so by hitting the right flipper button, you "move" the lights around so now U and A are lit instead, so when the ball rolls down the S lane, it completes the set of three lights and the bonus multiplier increases.

Simply put: you're just using the flipper button to change which rollover lane(s) are lit and which are not.

#1269 3 years ago
Quoted from KillerQ:

Haha... Still cool, so I suppose the hydraulic fin that rose up from beneath the playfield and magnetically derailed the ball to a secondary lane was just wishful thinking...lol.
Thanks again for the info!

Cool idea ... I wonder if there are any pins out there with something sorta like that...?

3 months later
#1331 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

How do you light the inlanes? And what does "Spot Shuttle" do?
Does it just change the Shuttle Value?

Get bonus multiplier (via U-S-A lanes) up to 4x, and that will light the inlanes. Roll into the inlane, and "Spot Shuttle" will light the next SHUTTLE letter for you without having to hit its target.

#1332 3 years ago

Just added to my astronaut autograph collection on my plastics; met retired astronaut Mike Massimino today. (You may recognize him from his guest appearances on The Big Bang Theory. He flew on the space shuttle on two Hubble repair missions.)

20170110_111844 (resized).jpg

20170110_112244 (resized).jpg

20170110_112244 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1358 3 years ago

Added yet another shuttle astronaut autograph to my plastics today. Met Dr. Stan Love, who flew on Atlantis on STS-122.

I asked him if he'd ever seen/played the Space Shuttle pin, to which he said, yeah, a couple hundred times, as they had one where he went to college. He also said he'd signed a backglass for someone who lived in Portland, Oregon. (Anyone on here?)

terrible photo of Dr. Love, lol

signed plastic!

#1360 3 years ago

Not that anyone's really keeping track but me, but FYI that brings my autograph total up to seven. At this rate I'm going to run out of room on the plastics, then what?!

astronaut autographs on my space shuttle pin

Clockwise from lower left:
Doug Hurley, STS-127, -135
Bob Cabana, STS-41, -53, -65, -88
Andy Allen, STS-46, -62, -75
Robert Behnken, STS-123, -130
Stan Love, STS-122
Mike Massimino, STS-109, -125
Rick Searfoss, STS-58, -76, -90

#1363 3 years ago

I also realized I could've had Dr. Love sign the right slingshot plastic -- he worked three EVAs on his mission, so he'd be perfect to sign by that spacewalking astronaut on there.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

There's always the bg.

True, though it'll be much more of challenge to haul that thing around!

Quoted from djreddog:

The shuttle has plenty of space too!

Also true, but I think I want to keep that clean.

I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

3 months later
#1508 2 years ago

Acquired another astronaut for my ever-growing autograph collection on my plastics. Today's addition - Japanese astronaut Soichi Noguchi, who flew aboard Discovery on STS-114, the first mission after the Columbia accident. I like the little Japanese flag he drew with it!

20170518_132134 (resized).jpg

#1511 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Way cool. How many more ya got to go?

As many more as I can fit! Looks like I could fit a few on the large plastic from under/behind the shuttle yet, I'll probably pull that one next.

I'm up to nine so far, btw:
Doug Hurley, STS-127, -135
Bob Cabana, STS-41, -53, -65, -88
Mike Massimino, STS-109, -125
Andy Allen, STS-46, -62, -75
Robert Behnken, STS-123, -130
Stan Love, STS-122
Rick Searfoss, STS-58, -76, -90
Tony Antonelli, STS-119, -132
Soichi Noguchi, STS-114

#1513 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's really neat, but no women yet I see, they must not visit the cape very often I guess.

Well, the first consideration here is the overwhelmingly-male number of astronauts -- I haven't verified the exact figures, but it's in the neighborhood of ~300 men and ~50 women flew aboard the shuttle. So the probability of running into one of the women is significantly less.

Another consideration is whether I'll know in advance I'm going to run into them! I don't keep the plastics here at my desk -- obviously, I keep them at home, installed in the machine. I recall running into Nicole Stott a few months back -- I hadn't known she was going to be there. Oh well. Eventually maybe I'll get a few.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

It's just insane that some people think NASA is fake. You could take them up and they would still probably say it was fake.

Don't even get me started on this. I recently had a long conversation with a Flat Earther. (The conversation was only long because I couldn't leave where I was posted, and at least the guy was polite and respectful, so civilized conversation was possible.) I simply can't wrap my head around such blatant ignorance of scientific fact. It's an impossible debate, because they reject everything spaceflight-related as "faked", and ignore basic scientific principles.

3 months later
#1549 2 years ago
Quoted from Piratedan200:

Only issue so far is the lane change almost never works, anyone know the common causes before I dive into the schematics?

Right flipper only (since only right flipper activates lane change) ... take a look at the flipper coil & mechanism under the playfield, IIRC there's a switch on there which drives the lane change. I had this same issue pop up once, and turns out the diode on the switch had come loose ... once I reconnected the diode the lane change functioned normally.

2 months later
#1599 2 years ago

Added a few more astronaut autographs on my plastics (Don Thomas STS-65, -70, -83, -94, and John Herrington STS-113), bringing my total now to 11.

Here's the wicked cool thing: a friend got Don Thomas to sign the plastic for me (I was unavailable), and took a photo with it ... then my friend printed the photo, and had Don sign the PHOTO too -- including the fantastic inscription you see here!!!

FB_IMG_1509640731308 (resized).jpg

#1603 2 years ago

So... the astronaut autograph tally just jumped from 11 to 18... just acquired:

Scott Altman - STS-90, 106, 109, 125
Tom Akers - STS-41, 49, 61, 79
Curt Brown - STS-47, 66, 77, 85, 95, 103
Jim Wetherbee - STS-32, 52, 63, 86, 102, 113
Brian Duffy - STS-45, 57, 72, 92
Hoot Gibson - STS-41B, 61C, 27, 47, 71
Mike McCulley - STS-34

20171104_135233 (resized).jpg

#1604 2 years ago

Make that 19. Also just got Nicole Stott, STS-122, 129, 133.

20171104_163151 (resized).jpg

Thank goodness I filled that piece (the big one under the shuttle toy); I don't ever want to take that piece out again!

3 months later
#1744 1 year ago

Found a new patch in our store today, and I'd been waiting patiently to find something to dress up the "wall" above the USA lanes...

20180227_173755 (resized).jpg

20180227_175654 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#1750 1 year ago

I'm repeatedly having issues where, if the ball goes up the ramp, but not all the way (so it rolls back down), the ball then gets hung up on the wireform under the shuttle. I've adjusted the shuttle position this way and that but it seems to continue happening. Anyone else run into this? If so, how did you resolve?

#1754 1 year ago

Ok thanks. I'll do some tinkering as soon as I have a chance. I have a party/tournament coming up in a few weeks, so I'd like to have it fixed before then!

2 weeks later
#1760 1 year ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

Sorry. Wrong pic. Dimensions here. Right angle bend needed to prevent the gate from rotating past and going under the switch on ball entry going up the ramp.

Thanks for the help. I looked a little closer at mine, and determined what was happening: sometimes, the wireform would swing/bounce back (after ball plowed through it) fast enough, that it would flip all the way around and land on TOP of the switch. Then, if the ball rolled back down, the wireform couldn't rotate in that direction to allow the ball to pass through.

I went low-tech on a solution ... I simply taped a piece of paper plate under there, positioned such that it stops the wireform from swinging up and over on the rebound.

20180330_173811 (resized).jpg

20180330_173815 (resized).jpg

#1773 1 year ago

My red flipper rubbers were getting worn down at the tips, so tonight I replaced the with black silicone ones -- to make em look like little shuttles! Looks meant to be.

20180406_233901 (resized).jpg

3 months later
#1821 1 year ago
Quoted from mastercello:

Paid only 350 USD for it, so i guess it was a good buy....oh, and yes it starts up and is playable.

At 350, that's a steal, especially in that condition!!! Congrats, welcome to the club!

3 weeks later
#1834 1 year ago

Another fun addition to my Space Shuttle. (Does not affect ball launch.) In an imaginative way, you're "removing" the RBF tag when you pull back the plunger to launch the ball!

20180803_080126 (resized).png

2 months later
#1904 1 year ago
Quoted from calico1997:

What a difference a new playfield and new set of plastics makes.

pasted_image (resized).png

2 months later
#1953 1 year ago

Just met a few more of the STS-88 crew; already had Bob Cabana but now have added Jerry Ross (dude's amazing, flew SEVEN shuttle missions), Dr. Nancy Currie(-Gregg), and Dr. Jim Newman to my collection!

20181210_121935 (resized).jpg

#1955 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Just met a few more of the STS-88 crew; already had Bob Cabana but now have added Jerry Ross (dude's amazing, flew SEVEN shuttle missions), Dr. Nancy Currie(-Gregg), and Dr. Jim Newman to my collection!
[quoted image]

I lost track and had to recount -- this brings my total up to 28 astronauts.

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

It's supposed to do that if you hit the target (and thereby change the shuttle award) when extra ball or special are lit for the award.

This. Same for when you drain down an outlane when extra ball or special are lit. In all of these situations, you're missing out on the extra ball or the special -- "aaaaaggghh!!!"

2 months later
#2010 12 months ago
Quoted from Ive:

Just had the call, joining the club ! .............. lift off is 0900 hours tomorrow !

Godspeed ... hope the launch doesn't get scrubbed!

2 months later
#2096 9 months ago
Quoted from WeLoveScott:

Can I also add that this is one of my favorite shots in all of pinball. It's so satisfying.

Kkkkewww kkew kkew [clunk]

4 weeks later
#2139 8 months ago

Cool idea. I wanted to comment on your blue USA & Multiplier lights, I do really like that. I might be stealing this idea, matches the art/plastics/machine more overall!

2 months later
#2157 5 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Just picked up my first SS at a show yesterday! It's a fixer upper for sure so I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions here in the coming months.
My first is regarding the right flipper button does not trigger the lane change feature. I did notice the ceramic disc cap at the switch was cut. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the specs on that cap are, and is there some first spot to check for a likely culprit to the problem? Thanks!

At the EOS switch for the right flipper is a second switch that triggers the lane change. Check this switch, and be sure to specifically look at the diode. My diode came loose a couple times and that disrupted the lane change. Resolder, good to go.

#2159 5 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

The switch was bent so it was permanently closed. Adjusted it and now it works great. Thanks!

Even better. Glad I could get you pointed in the right direction!

1 month later
#2265 3 months ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but does anyone else notice excessive speaker hum that fluctuates with the blinking of the playfield lights during attract mode?

I have this exact same issue but haven't made it a priority to resolve; looking forward to a response.

2 months later
#2354 32 days ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

speech test 1-6 seems to be fine than it hits # 7 and sounds like a scream?

Isn't that just the astronaut scream sound from when you lose it down the outland or change the shuttle bonus while Extra Ball or Special are lit?

1 week later
#2368 24 days ago

I have the bent plastic glare guards (sourced elsewhere), which work great for me. My kids hate them though, because from their low angle it partially blocks the display on DMD games. I can always tell what game they've been playing by whether the glare guard is still installed.

So, something to keep in mind if you have little ones or vertically challenged guests.

1 week later
#2399 16 days ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Well as I suspected the ball hit the airplane when it bounced off the yellow rubber post and ripped the wing I should have known better, seen it coming....DAMMMIT[quoted image]

As an engineer once responsible for the airframe of the space shuttle, this pains me deeply

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Berkeley Heights, NJ
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 170.96
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skyking2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside