(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seaottre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1671 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Right flipper only (since only right flipper activates lane change) ... take a look at the flipper coil & mechanism under the playfield, IIRC there's a switch on there which drives the lane change. I had this same issue pop up once, and turns out the diode on the switch had come loose ... once I reconnected the diode the lane change functioned normally.

Do you have a picture that shows the "switch" and the associated "diode"?

#1675 6 years ago

Any chance someone has a lamp map for the location diagram?
Specifically what bulbs (and part numbers?) to use.
I've combed through the Parts Catalog and the mannual, but can't see specifics for the bulb type. Is it as simple as simple small and large bulbs? Marco has "small" bulbs listed for space shuttle, but not the larger globe ones.

Or better yet for me and future searches for this question: A page number in the 650+ parts catalog?

(1 week with a machine. So I appreciate these may be super basic questions...)

/ds

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1679 6 years ago

Space Shuttle Space Shuttle switch connection query. That was a bit recursive, but correct.

Does the green wire attach to the middle connection: Assuming so, because that's where the old solder is?
Is the far left connection left empty? Or am I missing a wire?

I've ordered a new shuttle. The brittle flaking plastic is now being held up with fibreglass tape in the interim.

META DATA FOR SEARCH
8-10648 shuttle & Sw Assy
45 Long Ramp Lower Switch A-10594
#D-10654
Williams SPACE SHUTTLE
A-10591 ball gate assy
A-10647 switch & cable
B-10648 Shuttle & switch assembly
01-3670-1 switch plate
12-6653 switch asctuator & wire form

#1681 6 years ago

The answer is yes. My first pinball solder (actually my 15 old son did it).

Quoted from SeaOttre:

Space Shuttle Space Shuttle switch connection query. That was a bit recursive, but correct.
Does the green wire attach to the middle connection: Assuming so, because that's where the old solder is?
Is the far left connection left empty? Or am I missing a wire?
I've ordered a new shuttle. The brittle flaking plastic is now being held up with fibreglass tape in the interim.
META DATA FOR SEARCH
8-10648 shuttle & Sw Assy
45 Long Ramp Lower Switch A-10594
#D-10654
Williams SPACE SHUTTLE
A-10591 ball gate assy
A-10647 switch & cable
B-10648 Shuttle & switch assembly
01-3670-1 switch plate
12-6653 switch asctuator & wire form

#1682 6 years ago

I have an "R" sticker.

TradeMark (R) (resized).pngTradeMark (R) (resized).png

#1683 6 years ago

Are all the standup targets supposed to have foam behind them, or just the center ones?

SEARCH TERMS:
Space Shuttle Williams Standup Target Foam
Stand-up Target k-9618
17 '5' Target A-9618
18 OHO Target A-9618
19 'U' Target A-9618
21 'T' Target A-9618
22 'L' Target A-9618
23 OER Target A-9618

Standup Target (resized).pngStandup Target (resized).png

#1685 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Put foam on all of them.

Thanks "Superbee". Mechanically that makes sense, but both the right and left sides only had foam on the middle targets on my machine.
They reacted differently to the ball and made the center letters a different type of shot.

#1687 6 years ago

Credit/Match Display
How can you tell which display board Shuttle has? Is it as simple as with "edge" connections or not?
My Credit/Match Display doesn't work (perhaps because it is a Pinbot display parted in), all the other player scores work fine and are original 535.

Williams D-8363 or Printed Circuit Board #5760-09461-XX or 5760-10846-XX?

Space Shuttle Display (resized).pngSpace Shuttle Display (resized).png

#1688 6 years ago

Taper or Round for the shuttle ramp? No consensus I can see in the various pin threads on this. Taper or round for ramp posts? The original flyer looks like it has round posts. Do they play differently?
And, naive question, small side up or down for the taper posts? Found this map from a parts company (its also buried in another thread). It says tapered, but its a homebrew map.

Williams Space Shuttle Rubber Post Map (resized).pngWilliams Space Shuttle Rubber Post Map (resized).png

#1691 6 years ago

Round was [probably] original, but the tapered reduces the amount of air the ball might get around the mouth ramp.
But your picture raises another question. Stars and Stripes decals on the drops or the Radar array? Original flyer has the Stars' and Stripes, but lots of resellers have the array.

#1702 6 years ago

What is canon: NASA Blue or White? Or flame red or Williams yellow? Too many choices.

Quoted from Titan_Pinball:

We make this specific bumper. It's called "Post Sleeve - 3/4" Bumper" in the ring size list

#1706 6 years ago

Any idea what the standup switches are supposed to do?
For scoring at all times or under certain conditions?

42 Bottom Left Standup Switch B-4834-K
43 Left Lower Standup Switch B-4834-K
44 Left Upper Standup Switch B-4834-K
46 Center Standup Switch A-4834-J
41 Upper Right Standup Switch A-4834-J
48 Lower Right Standup Switch B-4834-K

SW-1A-120

Standup Switch (resized).pngStandup Switch (resized).png

#1713 6 years ago

Ok. I just read Beatmaster's restoration page and realize how much of an artist, electrical engineer, and mechanical engineer you need to be to fully restore a machine...!

But in the interim, some really basic questions (new pinball machine owner: ~1 month now):
* Are there any other useful manuals beside the i) Space Shuttle Mannual, ii) Williams Blue Parts, and ii) Pinball Troubleshooting and Ref {Hawes}
* What do the standup switches do...they do nothing (lights, score, sound, etc...) I can see on my machine.
* What does the micro switch (A-10594) in the shuttle do (lights, score, sound?). Only the long ramp upper switch (B-8410) is needed to trigger multiball.

ps
I have made, on my old broken space shuttle plastic, a mock up of opening bay doors and an extending [Canada] arm. I'll post that after I figure out some of the more basic stuff...

#1715 6 years ago

Tx. That was enough info for me to puzzle out all the issues. One entire column of the switch matrix that also affected the lane advance and the lower shuttle ramp switch.

#1719 6 years ago

Most of the pictures of older machines show the round ones.
But I just spied in the blue catalog: 2x Tapered. Not that is shows where it is supposed to go...

Space Shuttle Williams 535 Bumper
23-6579
23-6551

Quoted from Deez:

I'd like to know this also. I used the list on titan pinball to order my rubbers. It listed tapered but my game definitely had fat round.

Bumper Rubber (resized).pngBumper Rubber (resized).png

2 weeks later
#1720 6 years ago

Orphan hole near lanes: Why? Was this for a 3rd ball lock that never materialized?

1 week later
#1722 6 years ago

Anyone have a good picture of an original Power Supply for SS, I can use for reference (vs one that has been "bullet proofed")?

Williams Space Shuttle 535
System 9
D-8345-1914

#1724 6 years ago

Tx. I'll file that away as well! When I get brave enought to start cleaning up that part of the machine.
But I was looking for the PCB Power Supply board in the backbox.

1 week later
#1728 6 years ago

Photo: Start Button Wiring?

Anyone have a clean photo of the start button wiring inside the cabinet?
I have a loose ground grommet off the braid that is suspiciously near the bolts for the player start (that appears to have no ground).

#1729 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

My space shuttle has some issues with the displays. 2 of the 4 displays have faint numbers in the "10" digit location. Not familiar with troubleshooting displays, so is this something that can generally be fixed or does this mean the displays are bad and need to be replaced?

Found a replacement display (plug and play) for the original Williams board from KSarcade. https://ksarcade.net/.
Works like a charm (although I had to drill out new holes to match the bolts on my board).

1 month later
#1753 6 years ago

Yes. The bracket over rotated and then goes past the inflection point on the cherry switch spring. I swapped the spring for a new crisp one (see dimensions). Trial and error to get a smooth return for half ramp shots.

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I'm repeatedly having issues where, if the ball goes up the ramp, but not all the way (so it rolls back down), the ball then gets hung up on the wireform under the shuttle. I've adjusted the shuttle position this way and that but it seems to continue happening. Anyone else run into this? If so, how did you resolve?

41C1D25E-0BBA-40C5-B4BC-A5F8A716FCDC (resized).jpeg41C1D25E-0BBA-40C5-B4BC-A5F8A716FCDC (resized).jpeg

#1755 6 years ago

Sorry. Wrong pic. Dimensions here. Right angle bend needed to prevent the gate from rotating past and going under the switch on ball entry going up the ramp.

559FC2CC-4E58-46C8-AD6A-0882E28E2BCA (resized).jpeg559FC2CC-4E58-46C8-AD6A-0882E28E2BCA (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#1782 5 years ago

Do high scores count if you are Ready Player 2 in a two person game and you have 1 more chance to steal locked balls? My son says P2 has to drain any locked balls on the third ball to make it fair.

And, really, his isn’t a real question... I take my wins however they come.

6 months later
#1919 5 years ago

Cashbox cover: 01-5454 vs 01-7173 for the plastic 03-7626 cashbox.
Any idea why "Ready Player One" Space Shuttle (535) has an alternative cashbox cover vs Comt (540) and "Feel My Power" Sor (532)?
What's the difference?

Meta:
Cashbox 03-7626
Cashbox Cover 01-5454
Space Shuttle
S-Sh (535)

ps
Working version of Sorcerer at FarOut Coffee in Vancouver.

Space Shuttle Cashbox (resized).pngSpace Shuttle Cashbox (resized).png
2 years later
#3404 3 years ago

Missing bottom left on alpha numerical for player # and match. Any suggestions. Circuit board looks sus on a couple traces.

58A7441C-F131-4760-A37E-AF94890731DE (resized).jpeg58A7441C-F131-4760-A37E-AF94890731DE (resized).jpeg8FABE745-0476-4A02-96F8-6E73E06EA160 (resized).jpeg8FABE745-0476-4A02-96F8-6E73E06EA160 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider seaottre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=seaottre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.