(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 29 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider polyacanthus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1405 7 years ago

Just joined the club but this bird needs a full inspection before returning to flight.

First hiccup is this, looks like a "high tap" hack. Voltages out of the transformer are about 25% high with this configuration. Is this a common thing on these? This is my first system 9.

IMG_20170402_013613601 (resized).jpgIMG_20170402_013613601 (resized).jpg

#1406 7 years ago

So what's the scoop on repro shuttles and ramps, is anyone currently making them?

#1415 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Anyone want these insert decals?

I've seen those around, what are they, just a vinyl sticker or mylar material? And are they die cut?

1 month later
#1516 6 years ago

My shuttle came with an extra mpu board that seems to have been used as a donor for components. Physically it's in nice shape. Is there anything on these boards component wise that would make them unrepairable? As in unobtainable chips? It looks like I can replace everything that's missing for about $15.

3 weeks later
#1522 6 years ago

I have a new hardtop overlay from Outside Edge. I have the playfield stripped and ready to be sanded. Now I want a second opinion before I go for it. I realize this playfield is not as bad as many. The wear is mostly around the inserts, bumpers, USA at the top, and the ramp drop location. There is a lot of chipping especially in the upper mid playfield in the black. There is some bad planking in areas and the clearcoat in general is just so cracked and yellowed. I have done playfield touchups before but it seems like to do this one properly we're talking pretty much a complete repaint.

So what do you guys think, sand it off and hardtop it or leave it as is?

IMG_20170616_000442611 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_000442611 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170616_000903161 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_000903161 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170616_001025985 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_001025985 (resized).jpg

#1528 6 years ago

Thanks for the input. I'm ​going to go for it. If this wasn't such a common machine maybe I wouldn't. I peeled back some of the protective film on the overlay to compare color and you can really see how yellowed it is. Blech! Also noticed the overlay is missing some artwork and some holes. Oops! I guess that art is hidden anyway, I hope this is the only place.

For those that have installed them already, how do they play? Like a fresh clearcoat or different?

IMG_20170616_220409046~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20170616_220409046~2 (resized).jpg

#1533 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

If you mean that it is missing screw holes for topside pieces, that is actually desirable in clear areas since the original playfields will all vary slightly from one another with regard to screw positioning. Better to be able to drill your own homes to perfectly align with existing holes in the pf in clear areas. And yes, you can really see how much the original acrylic lacquer has yellowed over the years!

I meant the screw holes for the bumper bodies. I'm​ away from home but I think one hole for one of the bumpers was drilled and the other five holes were not (as shown). Also missing all the holes for the right side rail. Not a problem for me, just saying. In fact I kind of wish there was a craftsman edition with no holes drilled for the wireforms so I could drill them exactly and not have the oversized holes showing.

3 weeks later
#1534 6 years ago

Can anyone do me a favor and post pics of good SS flipper assemblies? I have a PBR rebuild kit in hand and the ones in my game have been hacked over many times so I want to make sure they're correct. Namely my flippers currently don't have the wings on the cams, the small coil springs, or capacitors that come with the kit. So I'm not sure if I should use these or if they are superfluous in my case. Thanks!

#1537 6 years ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Does this help?

Yes, thanks!

#1541 6 years ago

Hey guys, I have some more questions about reassembling my playfield but didn't want to clog up this thread too much, if you could do me a solid and check out my thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-playfield-reassembly-questions

Thanks!

1 year later
#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Starship Fantasy should have them in March or April.

Did they get delayed or did I miss them again?

3 months later
#1992 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I have bought from Starship Fantasy several times and like their product, but he’s been saying ‘a few weeks’ or ‘a few months’ about SS ramps for YEARS now.

I am also reproducing these ramps.

I don't have any machinery or expertise so production is still a little ways out yet but I'll totally let you know.

3 months later
#2101 4 years ago

Wow that's pretty cool, nice job!

7 months later
#2335 4 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

This could be over my ability. Other parts of the playfield I can handle but this one I just don't know. It's even depressed a bit. Any tips? Maybe I should read some of Vid's stuff.[quoted image]

To do that properly you'd end up having to restore the entire playfield. I'd either leave it alone or clean it, wax it, and put some mylar over it so it doesn't get worse.

#2337 4 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

None of my drunken looser friends will even notice it anyways.

LOL

Well, if that's the worst of it I don't think anyone would deride you for skipping the hardtop. It's way up top anyway. BTW repro ramps are supposedly coming soon from starship fantasy.

1 week later
#2355 4 years ago

Nice find! BG is great. The rest is a little rough but well worth what you paid I'd say.

1 year later
#3425 3 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Any help finding the MPU/sound boards will greatly be appreciated.

I have a MPU listed in the marketplace. I have a power supply not listed. Can't help with the speech or flipper boards though.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108985

2 months later
#3499 3 years ago
Quoted from seah2os:

I’m replacing the original connectors on the MPU with the molex/trifurcon connectors, and I noticed J19 is a 9 pin header, but is split with a two and seven slot connector originally. Is there a reason I can’t upgrade this to a solid 9 slot molex connector housing, instead of a 2 and a 7?
[quoted image]

Mine is split the same way on that same connector.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider polyacanthus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=polyacanthus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.