(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 42 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pogofx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4041 1 year ago

Thanks in advance for a little help with sound buzzing. I get a pretty loud hum as the pin cycles through the lights in between games. Since I need to pull the Sys 9 board and replace a power transistor for a pop bumper, I was going to replace several of the radial capacitors on the lower right of the board (C2,5,7,24,53). I know old caps can be one source of the problem.

But I've since discovered that the culprit for about 95% of the buzzing. It occurs when the pop bumper lights illuminate through the sequence. They had been replace by a previous owner with LED's (I think BriteCaps EVO). If I pull these lights out, it eliminates the 95% of the buzzing or humming.

So my question is, does this change my approach? Would different lights here fix the issue? Maybe someone can chime in that has these lights. I'll probably still go ahead and replace the caps, but might put that off since I don't have those on hand yet if the lights are the culprit.

Also if I unplug the sound board (Swemmer 147-4-19) the buzzing stops. Not sure if that adds anything, but thought I'd mention that also since that's where I started my troubleshooting.

Pop Bumper (resized).JPGPop Bumper (resized).JPG
#4045 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

Take out the buzz causing LEDs.

Is there an LED replacement that's better or is this typical of this style? Definitely could just take them out, but wondering if they are specifically the problem or just emphasizing another issue like the caps. I've gone through the grounds pretty well. The rest of lights are LED's and I get very little buzz but it's just these that seem to be the issue. If there's a better choice that folks have good luck with, I'll switch. Thanks, still learning.

#4047 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

I put red LEDs in my pop bumpers and it looks really nice; I don't think you really need anything more than that! They were from Pinball Life (premium ghostbuster, bayonet, red). No buzzing either.

Thanks. I'm gonna replace the caps this weekend since I'll have the board out. If the buzzing is still there, I definitely check those out and likely get some.

#4050 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Try tightening all of the screws on your main board, it sounds like you've got shuttle buzz.

Thanks, yep, that's one of the first things I did after reading a little. And I really tried check to make sure everything was grounding good. Did find the braided ground cable from the bottom cabinet was no longer connected to the backing, so not all the grounds were common. Fixed that but didn't help the buzzing. I'll double check that stuff again though.

#4052 1 year ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Those multi led super brite pop bumper boards always cause buzzing in my past experience. The lighting in my SS always causes some level of hum, much less with led because it draws much less current. My personal thought is resistance in the old dirty wire harness connectors. When I first got my space shuttle the speaker hum was awful and would oscillate with the attract mode lighting sequence. After cleaning and tightening all the wire harnesses it seemed to get rid of the hum almost completely. After about 6 months to a year the hum returned somewhat but at a much more tolerable level. Cleaning the pins and connectors with contact cleaner and tightening the connectors on the wire harnesses seem to help dramatically. Monkeying around tightening and loosening and lifting the soundboard from the back box had no effect whatsoever

Thanks. Good info. I'll clean the contacts when I lift the board for my transistor repair. Yep, I fooled around tightening and lifting the sound board also to no avail. Honestly its not noticeable while playing, only when the game is sitting idle that you really hear it.

So what's the secret to removing the connectors from the Sys 9 board???? I can't get these things off. I tried inserting a little piece of plastic I made to lift the clips, but I can't get these things to budge. I'm afraid of wrecking the clips. I can see a few are already broken here and there. What's the technique or tool to use? I wasn't expecting this to slow me down.

clip (resized).jpgclip (resized).jpg
#4054 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

Same thing I dealt with when I first got mine. Later I realized that you can just wiggle them out… left to right. Just be careful you don’t do it too much and bend the pins. Also, it’s a good idea to re-flow the solder on all the pins/connectors at the edges of the board. Over time, you can get cold (broken) solder joints on the pins from pulling the connectors on and off, especially the pins at the very ends of the connector headers.

Thanks, that got it. It was an SOB but eventually got it moving. I was a little worried to keep at it at first since I wasn't sure the clips would release. A very tiny flat head under one side to give it a nudge helped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pogofx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=pogofx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.