(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 46 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2307 4 years ago

Getting a Space Shuttle delivered in a couple of days. Marking this thread so I can read through everything. I've got some catching up to do!

Thanks,
-Jason

#2309 4 years ago

Space Shuttle docked! Came a few days ago--took me until today to finish going over it before actually playing.

Shooter lane switch needed adjustment. If that's the only thing needs attention on a "new" 35-year-old game, then I'm delighted.

1 question. See attached--the lower & right displays are shifted a little low & left relative to the glass windows. Displays don't line up quite correctly with backglass. What's the trick to adjusting? Move the displays? Shim the backglass? Glass doesn't seem to have any play.

Just played a few games w/ my 7yo boy. He beat me every game. What a gas!

Thanks,
-Jason

Space Shuttle Docked (resized).jpgSpace Shuttle Docked (resized).jpgbackglass shift (resized).jpgbackglass shift (resized).jpg
#2317 4 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

The lower & right displays are shifted a little low & left relative to the glass windows. Displays don't line up quite correctly with backglass. What's the trick to adjusting? Move the displays? Shim the backglass? Glass doesn't seem to have any play.

Instigated last night.
No looseness in glass or channels.

Light/display panel has too much sag at the hinges. Need to lift it a little to swing it out over the speaker panel.
Nudged it by loosening the board mount screws, pushing, then retightening screws. Inadequate.
Need to work out some shim scheme...later...having too much fun playing it right now. Minor enough to address later.

Edit: will also double-check the speaker panel channel (debris?) to be sure that the glass carrier won't settle in any lower.

Thanks,
Jason

3 months later
#2660 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

In other news, I bought the 5lb Harbor Freight tumbler to shine up the metal. Anybody have any good recommendations for a tumbling thread. Please tell me there is a whole Vid's Guide for that...

I have 1 data point to share, for my topside Cirqus Voltaire restoration. I was happy with the results: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-cv-playfield-restoration

Harbor Freight 5 lb tumbler: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Walnut hull media: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063GTFXS

Flitz green tumbler media additive: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7JWN4

Then, to sift out the tiny fasteners, I used one of my kids' sand toy sieves.

For large parts, Nevr Dull Magic Wadding: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000QGZXCS

Clean off polished parts with alcohol & rag.

Words of wisdom that I learned the hard way:
1. Large-ish items with sharp corners will chew holes through the wall of the plastic bowl.
2. Large-ish items that stay in contact with the bowl's central shaft will be marred or gouged.

Good luck!

Thanks,
-Jason
20171210_230056 (resized).jpg20171210_230056 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_110124 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_110124 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2791 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

So I'm working on a new mod, I don't think I'll have to tell any of you what it is or where it goes. I have the 3D rendered file ready to print in .stl format, trouble is,all the local libraries are closed because of covid.so I'm looking for someone who has access to a 3D printer that may be willing to print one of these for me and themselves while they're at it. I have the perfect astronaut to scale so I can pay homage to the original design in 3D, let me know what you think fellow shuttle heads , this is going to be awesome!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice model. SolidWorks?

Try https://www.shapeways.com/ or https://www.makexyz.com/

Upload your file, pick your material(s), pick a reputable vendor.
Get a good price & fast shipment back to you.
Easy way to be able to sample many different technologies to find the one that you most prefer.

I've used these services a handful of times, with great results & cost & turnaround time.

Thanks,
-Jason

1 week later
#2891 3 years ago

Lighting question. I'm pretty sure that these 4 lights in the shuttle thrust flame never light up on my machine.

1. What game event triggers them to light?

2. What behavior should I expect to see when they behave properly? Fast flickering, on solid, blinking, fading, other?

3. Which part of the Diagnostic Procedures lights these? I don't see anything that looks like these in the Lamp Test or Solenoid Test sections of the manual.

4. Do these accept the usual #89 bayonet flashers, or a special oddball bulb? Incandescents only? Use of LEDs would require a mod (similar to what I read regarding the hot dog flashers?)?

Thank you!
-Jason

IMG_20200601_171627 (resized).jpgIMG_20200601_171627 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#2931 3 years ago

We interrupt your 3D Printer Lovefest program for a mundane-yet-pleasant look at an eBay keychain find.

key (resized).JPGkey (resized).JPG

OK, now back to your printed trusses.

-Jason

#2932 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

Had a chance to look at this today.
Going through self-test of coils, when I trigger the hot dog flashers, these 4 thruster lights to not pulse.
During gameplay, getting the hot dog flashers to light also doesn't make these 4 thruster bulbs light.

So, something's amiss w/ this flasher circuit.

I'm not familiar with this scheme, with the ceramic resistors & bonus little boards.
Where do you recommend I start troubleshooting, or what is the usual culprit here?

Thank you very much,
-Jason

Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Hey Jason, first thing to know is these lights do not flash or pulse at any time while the game is in attract mode. During gameplay there are a number of features that set them off but the quick rule of thumb is if your flashers in the hot dog inserts pulse then look for thruster lights to pulse as well. Anytime you lock a ball, anytime the ball goes through the gate on the shuttle ramp, spelling the shuttle letters for extra ball value or special or hitting the center "T" Target last, sweeping the drop targets and a quick pulse after it's added up your bonus at the end of ball. will also flash whenever you achieve one of your preset scoring objectives. The bulbs are the standard 89 bayonet Style flashers. As far as test mode goes I'm at a loss as I have not had an issue and didn't realize that those flashers weren't in the test sequence. hope this helps you. Good luck with it

thrust (resized).JPGthrust (resized).JPG
#2938 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Jason I wish I knew for sure what direction to send you on this ,I'm far from the go-to guy for the under the hood stuff. with that said ,if it were me I would check for continuity back to 1j12, check that connection is seated well. If that checks out It could be a bad Drive transistor at q59.good luck.

Now, I can neither confirm nor deny any specifics, & I will admit nothing, but in completely unrelated news, because these 4 flashers are arranged in 2 series strings of 2 bulbs each, in theory, if 1 bulb in each of those 2 strings is burned out, then 0 bulbs will flash.

The flashy rocket thrust effect is pretty sweet indeed.

-Jason

#2940 3 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Hey that reminds me, I was going to say , have you checked to make sure all the bulbs are good.

Gee, thanks a lot.

#2965 3 years ago

Goofy?
Messing around?
Joking?
Admit?

Proudly own this concept and execution of genius!
I want to make a bunch of fake Pinside accounts so I can upvote this more than only once.

From the moment I first saw this game in the arcades when it was new, the missing vertical stabilizer has always bugged me.

Brilliant to make an over-glass mod.

How much $ do you want to make another for a fan?

Thanks,
Jason

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Now that I just finally got my own 3D printer, I was messing around and executed a goofy little mod John and I were joking about -- I printed a vertical stabilizer, painted it (sloppily, I'll probably try again), and stuck it to the glass with some fun-tac.
It took a few tries to get the size to look just right; the toy on the playfield obviously isn't exactly high fidelity for accurate scaling.
I kinda hate to admit it, but I actually really like it!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

1 week later
#2970 3 years ago

SkyKing2301 for President 2020.

A little sanding w/ 220 grit to smooth the texture, 2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray enamel satin, some straightish hand-brushed black from my boy's pinewood derby paint set, 2 coats of clear coat spray, then extra fine point Sharpie for the thin horizontal line that I overlooked.

Tacked w/ Elmer's glue to a link from an old broken swing arm lamp while working.
A little hot glue to extra-cleaned glass.

I love it.

-Jason

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Haha, thanks for all the great feedback, guys. I wasn't sure how this would be received -- though there's probably a lot of people who hate it who are kindly keeping their opinions to themselves, lol.
- For those who don't have a 3D printer, I'd be happy to fire off a unit or two for you if you would cover materials and shipping. I will leave it unpainted so you can do that yourself, as that's the most time-consuming part.

IMG_20200628_182332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182332 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182315 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182315 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182319 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182319 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182324 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182324 (resized).jpgIMG_20200625_181704 (resized).jpgIMG_20200625_181704 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_200832 (resized).jpgIMG_20200626_200832 (resized).jpg
#2974 3 years ago

Pay it forward, for all the helpfulpants people on Pinside.

Doing a little housecleaning & have something to give away.
Shuttle tile souvenir from Kennedy Space Center.
Pay shipping from USA 92620 & it's yours. First responder gets it. The package will probably weigh about 3 ounces.
Make your own topper!

Backstory:
I picked this up at the gift shop when I went to Kennedy Space Center in 2007 to see the Phoenix Mars Lander launch.
There was a shuttle launch a few days later, but I didn't stay for it, figuring it would probably be delayed anyway, & I should really get back home. (Of course, it launched right on time--never did end up seeing a shuttle launch...d'oh!)
I know a guy who worked at United Space Alliance. He gave me the most amazing tour: the Vehicle Assembly Building (which had some booster parts being assembled), the crawler, seeing Endeavour (from not too close) set up at launch pad 39A, going up launch pad 39B, up close tour of Discovery getting prepped for launch & the crew touring it, etc. That was a *huge* treat.

Thanks,
-Jason

IMG_20200703_232404 (resized).jpgIMG_20200703_232404 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#3146 3 years ago

Well, I learned something today. I didn't realize that the outlane posts were adjustable.
They were set at the 2nd easiest position. No more! Now, both are in the easiest position. There were dimples for these positions & the harder positions--it looks as if this machine never had its posts adjusted.
I'm blazing new territory!

We'll see if this improves my mediocre scores...

Thanks,
-Jason

#3153 3 years ago

Whelp, I typically struggle to break 1 million. My highs were 2.5M, 1.8M, 1.8M, & maybe 1.5M.

After moving the outlane posts down one little notch, I played one game. One game. ONE. GAME.

3.4 MILLION!

Got 2 extra balls. That's a first. 1st one by SHUTTLE award, 2nd one by the dead-end ramp (which I think lit after maxing the bonus multiplier...another first...).

There were definitely a couple of times where I think the outlanes saved me, but it felt as if I could attribute that score mostly to a fluke outlandishly stellar game. It was a really fun ride.

That's just 1 data point. I'll collect more data soon. My son's going to be upset with me--I knocked his 2nd-place score down to 3rd!

Thanks,
-Jason

IMG_20200906_213041 (resized).jpgIMG_20200906_213041 (resized).jpg
#3160 3 years ago

Yup, the art on the right outlane makes you think that the post should be WAY lower than it is. The left outlane post aligns w/ the art.

I took a couple quick pictures to show you my setup.
I didn't have time to undo the posts to show you underneath, but you get the idea (I hope).

Left: yes, the post overhangs the art now--a bit dorky--oh well.
Right: hmmm, it looks as if it had previously lived in an even more difficult location before I moved it downward 1 notch from the location it was in when I got it. I think the faster is pretty much at the bottom of the slot in the plastic.

Oh, & I played about 8 games tonight. Got nowhere near 1M. So that 3.4M score from last night was indeed a fluke. Good. I don't want to have made the game artificially trivially easy by moving the posts just 1 notch.

Thanks,
-Jason

IMG_20200907_145952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200907_145952 (resized).jpgIMG_20200907_150006 (resized).jpgIMG_20200907_150006 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#3361 3 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Just curious, how frequently do you guys actually end up lighting the red "extra ball" light for the right ramp for achieving 7X+ bonus multiplier from the rollover lanes? Seems incredibly difficult for me. I think I've done it once on my machine since I bought it last year.

Once. On the first game after I moved my outlane posts down a little to make the game easier!

But then never again since that one game...

-Jason

11 months later
#3706 2 years ago
Quoted from crussell:

Anyone have a picture of the coin door that is wired for free play?

Free play can be turned on in the game settings. What are y'all doing rewiring the coin door?

Thanks,
Jason

#3709 2 years ago
Quoted from crussell:

Not sure I have an answer here haha. When I got it I thought I remembered them saying wired for free play. When this happened, free play stopped and I had to touch the green/black and yellow wires to add credits. I was trying to figure out how it was originally wired and if I need to tie in the white/blue.

See p. 12 of the manual for the Pricing Table.

-Jason

SS12FP (resized).JPGSS12FP (resized).JPG
11 months later
#4082 1 year ago

I'm ending my mission. Know anybody who wants to prepare for liftoff?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-trade-space-shuttle-williams-1984-working-100

Thanks,
-Jason

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=jasonbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.