(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#549 9 years ago

Custom Space Shuttle ramp? Very soon I will be enlarging my plastic heater as well as my forming platen. Thinking a dark transparent blue ramp for Space Shuttle. Anyone interested?

#553 9 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would try to match the blue of the plastics. I think I'd actually want it clear so I can backlight it, so yes I'm in.

While there are a lot of color choices in acrylic, it is still somewhat limited. I will do all colored ramps in a transparent plastic. As far as the blue is concerned, there is the dark blue that I did for Space Station and then the only other blue is much lighter. I have also ordered some dark red transparent that I should have any day now. When I do get these ready I will likely form a blue, a red and a clear for all to see. I sold my Space Shuttle to a friend (same guy that loaned me his Space Station). When I get the first forms done will see if I can go to his place to test fit and get some photos.

#565 9 years ago

System 11's and in this case the very similar System 9's are very finicky with the switch matrix. Appears you have a matrix column issue. The switches in Column 4 are the U, S, and A lanes, the left outland as Vid mentioned, the upper ramp switch and also the 3 pop bumpers. On the bumpers it would be the scoring switch and not the switch that actually fires the pop bumper. Somewhere in that circuit (GRN-YEL wire that is daisy chained on those switches) you either have a bad diode (sometimes easier just to replace them than worry about them) or you have a dead short. Best to just start with a thorough inspection for problems with the wires. I just put a Space Station back together and had polished the lockdown mechanism as well as the playfield hangers. Didn't notice that when I put the hangers back on that I had just caught the side of a wire in the switch matix...was enough to puncture it. Was easy to find in this case, because as soon as I put the playfield down, the hangers contacted the lock down mechanism completing a path to ground....then HAVOC.

Good hunting...

1 month later
#687 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Looking for a bit of help with a switch problem im having. Switch 28 and 32 will not register in switch test. All other switches are registering. They register when jumpering the pins on the board. Contacts are good and I dont see any issues with other switches in the column.
Any ideas?

Do the switches have diodes on them?

#689 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Yes, diode has been replaced on switch 32.

Stupid question, but are you sure the diode orientation is correct? Same as other switches that work?

1 month later
#752 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but you may need a license, or at least permission, from pps if you're selling something with the Williams logo. The same may apply if it can be argued that the shuttle design is also owned by Williams. Just throwing it out there since the license holder is an active member here.

I don't think the shuttle design would be a problem since you are not copying existing art...However, the Williams logo is definitely their trademark. For that you should seek permission. NASA??? Given the way Pinball manufacturers ignored licensing in the past, I doubt that "NASA" would be a problem.

#753 9 years ago

I forgot to mention... Very Nice work!

1 week later
#765 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I was concerned also so once I got them off the old plastics I ground off the folded over metal which left the little nub which then was able to insert into the new plastic which kept the new plastic at least centered when screwed down.

That's what I do as well.

#767 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hey what are you doing here....get back to making your awesome ramps...paying customers are waiting to flood you with money.

Gotta' take a break once in a while. Hope to have my new machine ready for testing this weekend!

#769 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK...I'll give ya another 5 minutes then back to it.

OK...Got back at it! Second platen successfully installed in new machine.... Had to celebrate so on my second Modelo!

#771 9 years ago

Still more to do, but good progress today.

10 months later
#942 8 years ago

You can call Pinball Resource (845) 473-7114 and just order a rubber kit for the game. Pinball Resource will set you up with an account and ship the parts to you along with an invoice for you to pay. PBR generally extends credit on your first order up to $50.

http://www.pbresource.com/

http://www.pbresource.com/rubber.html

#951 8 years ago

I'm still producing these! Have three blue "plug and plays" boxed ready to go at the moment.

IMG_0541.jpgIMG_0541.jpg

#961 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

for a moment there i was freaking out! c'mon man make one for Space Shuttle.

I do want to make one for Space Shuttle. I like replacing the black ABS ramps with colors and clears. Need to make my heating source bigger first. I do have a new black reproduction ramp but vid1900 advised against using it as it does not fit the game well...pretty sure I recall him wanting to participate in this one when I do make it.

#967 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

but i heard/read the new one is a pita to make it fit.

I have one of the "new" replacement ramps that was loaned to me by a friend. (don't have the game) The thing is a beast. Was made of much thicker plastic in an attempt to make it more durable, but have been told that the new ramp does not fit well in the machine. Thicker is not always better! When I make new ramps, if possible, I try to improve on the design especially in notorious problem areas. A clear PETG would probably be the best choice for this one. The colored acrylics I use might not be a good choice for Space Shuttle as they are not as durable. Now, colored acrylic ramps on F-14 will work well as the ramp does not get pounded.... F-14 coming soon too.

Thicker can be better in some cases, but it must be test fit. I an doing one for Heavy Metal Meltdown now as well. The original ramp was made from .060 (Basically 1/16") plastic....very flimsy. I could use .125 (1/8") but in this case I will use .100 (1/10") which is the same plastic I use for High Speed.

3 years later
#1982 5 years ago
Quoted from MountBrew:

Hey everyone, new space shuttle owner here. I’m really interested in doing a hardtop for the game but my playfield appears salvageable for someone with talent. I’m considering picking up a rough playfield and using that as the hardtop diner and selling off my playfield.
I’m curious what others think. Is it worth the effort just to put an OK playfield out there for restoration or if I should write mine off and use it as the hard top downer.
Is there even a market for ok SS playfields?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'd would restore what you have there. That's in a lot better shape than most. I think there is a decal you can buy for the area at the top above bumpers. I think you'd be surprised what just repainting the white areas would look like. Sacrificing this playfield for an overlay would be a shame....IMO.

1 year later
#2735 3 years ago

Sounds like it is looking for a missing pinball.

#2736 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sounds like it is looking for a missing pinball(s).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider freeplay40.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=freeplay40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.