(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calvin12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Just finished the restoration on mine over the last couple of weeks. It's dialed in and playing like a champ.
Looks about as close to NIB as you could get.
- NOS backglass
- New playfield
- New plastics
- Repainted Cabinet
- Buffed and polished metal
- LED's throughout playfield and backbox
- New Shuttle
- New Ramp
Love it!

IMAG0928.jpg 194 KB

IMAG0923.jpg 240 KB

IMAG0924.jpg 217 KB

IMAG0925.jpg 280 KB

IMAG0926.jpg 269 KB

IMAG0995.jpg 207 KB

How did you fit the new ramp, did you have to route the wood under the ramp or do you have a bump under the ramp from it being thicker. I have the new ramp but have not installed it yet since I don't want to route out the wood to make it fit well.

8 months later
#353 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Why were there two playfields for this machine? Any idea?
Thanks for clarifying the difference! I'll buy some 63's and try them. (Both of my other machines use 89's.)

The art was different in the 2 pf's also. The fonts were different and some pf's, like my original, had the 6 rounds instead of hot dogs and the overall art is about 1/4" longer then other games.

2 weeks later
#424 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Can i trouble someone to look inside their cabinet and tell me whats supposed to on the bracket in these photos ? Cant for the life of me figure it out.

IMG-20140922-00325.jpg 87 KB

IMG-20140922-00326.jpg 80 KB

a big metal shield full of holes for ventilation.

1 week later
#451 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I think I have the only Space Shuttle in like 300 miles. This town is so isolated it sucks.
The original speech board says "garbled" on the back, so I had little hope it works. Why? I don't know. Could just be ROMs. The power board was probably fine. However, there's a significant change in -12V at U48 when the game is on - it drops to -20V. To eliminate the possibility of it being power, I bought a Rottendog board and installed it, but no change. I feel better doing that anyway on such an old game, one that is in meh condition. The main CPU board I had was furnished by Ed Cheung and it works great as far as booting, playing, and operation - other than sound. I don't know if he actually checked it or not.
So I'm willing to re-sell the working boards to others if needed. I figure that I'd want that same courtesy if needing a hard to find board. I only paid $500 for the machine, so putting in a few hundred isn't terrible in my opinion to get it working.
Want to drive yours to PA?
On the bright side of things, the backbox looks good.

20141002_191041.jpg 283 KB

Don't forget to add fuses to the 2 rectifier lines. I literally just finished doing that.

#464 9 years ago

Buy blade and contacts at pbr, then make new switches.

#484 9 years ago

looks nice but walking by and jabbing that into your hip, or actually using it as a shooter rod looks awkward.

1 week later
#521 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I also think im missing something on the upper ramp switch as mine just doesnt look right . If someone had a photo of theirs i would really appreciate it. Here is mine .

IMG-20141021-00414.jpg 61 KB

this looks normal. the ball moves the wire. the wire passes a loop down throughthe hole to activate the switch by lifting the lower long blade to make contact.

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Check out my troubleshooting thread. Exitwound helped me with dimensions of the wireform. I ordered straight wire from Marco Specialties and bent my own.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-system-9-general-troubleshooting-help-needed#post-1898711
I bought a repro shuttle that I haven't installed. It looks like yours could be a repro since it's so clean, but not sure. Anyway, the repro doesn't have any hardware installed, nor does it have the holes needed for the rivets to be installed for the small bracket around the wireform. I was kind of wondering if it was a thick enough plastic that the wireform could just be installed without the bracket. Even if you had one, installing it in the repro seems like a pretty big hassle.

his is a repro as it is missing the mounting holes. and is thicker than the original.

#528 9 years ago

that was assumed 2 weeks ago when you posted it. using that was not going to work well.

#561 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

hey guys, I was playing a game last night and when I started a new game and the ball dropped in the A the machine shuts down the game and goes right back into attract mode, if it goes down the U or the S it will start going haywire all kinds of different sounds and then it tilts on me, game over, the attract mode works fine, I have all power and lights, I can start a game with no problem, flippers work and it will stay that way until it goes down one of the letters and then it shuts down, I have no clue what is wrong, hoping maybe someone had the same problem and a fix, thanks

switch matrix short or blown diode allowing current backfow

#566 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

all diodes on the USA and the left outlane switch are good

how did you test the diodes, and did you test everything in that row/column?

2 weeks later
#631 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I think your talki9ng about the flasher circuits. You need to remove one leg of the warming resistors under the playfield and the backbox for them to properly work with leds as they normally provide a small constant current to the circuit to keep the normally incandecent bulbs warm in order to be ready to flash quickly but with leds that little current will keep them constanly lit. I dont think thats what his problem is but im not sure what is.

This works but if there is more than one flasher in the circuit, leave one incandescent. It will eat the warning churn and everything will work normally.

1 month later
#720 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Im considering doing red ,white and blue leds in the spinner value inserts. Has anyone tried this? Any photos ?

I dont have pics but I have it in mine I like it because its subtle, unlike the garish pop caps.

#722 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

I did red, white, and blue pop bumper skirts. Just the skirts. It's subtle and doesn't really add much, but I like it.
I paid $500 for mine and put about $500 into it having the main board fixed, pop bumpers, pinballs, lights, bands, leaf switches, plunger, legs, flippers.... the playfield is terrible though and the true eyesore of it all. The ramps are cracked, but at the price for a 'new' one, I'm staying away.

I have a new ramp, I hate that it does nto fit right and you need to gouge out your PF to get it to fit. I also really dislike the flaps being installed, I prefer the original mounting.

1 week later
#727 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I put a new ramp in mine and didnt router it out. Fits fine with no issues.

id like a good pic of that because you would be the only one who has done that as far as I have ever heard.

3 weeks later
#778 9 years ago

w/o routing out the PF the ramps thickness wont allow it to fit flush to the PF. the flap will be above the PF. by routing the pocket under the ramp to go farther back i the PF, not deeper, the ramp can sit flush to the PF. plus the ramp barely makes it between the two entrance posts.

#780 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok, all i can say is mine plays perfectly with no issues at all. No ball hopping etc. The new ramp did come with a metal transition plate that works perfectly.

Then you have the only one.

#785 9 years ago

I still have not installed mine since I'm not going to tear up my PF to do it. I test fit it and it wasn't going to work. Plus I hate the ramp flaps covering the insert in the center and the text at the right ramp. I'll need to remove thd flaps and use the old mounting method.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider calvin12.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=calvin12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.