(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

got my cpr playfield, cpr backglass and my plastic set is brand new also.

will do a full restoration this winter including cabinet in and out, backbox in and out, new stencil and a lot of mods, i'd be busy!.
i'd probably start a thread when ready.

#24 10 years ago

nice restoration.

if you have any detail pictures of your restoration please share.

#26 10 years ago

ok, i have to ask.

how much would you ask for a full restored space shuttle, i mean everything.
last one i saw (sold), not a full restoration, no restoration on the cab was $2200.

i'm just curious, how much money i'll lose on this.

#54 10 years ago

if anybody need new free play and instructions card.

i made those a few months ago.

Space Shuttle Free Play Card.jpgSpace Shuttle Free Play Card.jpg
Space Shuttle information Card 3.jpgSpace Shuttle information Card 3.jpg

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from cwg29:

.... Mine didn't turn out perfect, but I'm cool with it. Hope to see some nice cabs.
SS_Box_repaint.jpg 63 KB

i think it looks good!

what brand did you used for the red and blue?

#90 10 years ago

cool, i'm thinking of clearing my cabinet with automotive clear, like i did with my playboy.

#92 10 years ago

no worries, i work in a body shop.
look for my playboy thread, you'll see.

#104 10 years ago

nice, i like what you did with the leds, blue on one side and red on the other.

1 week later
#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

K's Arcade should have one with a warranty for that price.

yep got my hands on 2 brand new boards/nos from k's arcade, a mpu and a driver board.
almost everything on my machine will be new.

1 week later
#161 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Solution is to put 2 stick on rubber bumpers in the corners of the playfield so if you stand the playfield up (not using the prop rod) it will not be dragging on the plastics.

great idea, i'm definitely gonna do something about that when i finish my restoration.

#171 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

More progress on the cabinet re-paint today! Man, it's super nice to put the white on and see it all come together... All things considered, my backbox being wider and not matching the stencil didn't end up being a huge deal. As predicted the astronaut isn't completely centered, but I think it looks decent enough nevertheless. A few more pics and details at http://wp.me/p1pvg1-5N

CabWhitePaintPart1-2.jpg 164 KB

looks good.
can't wait to do mine. finally who's selling the best stencil? that's my next step.

2 weeks later
#186 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Finished the white layer today! I also did some tests of the Rust-Oleum Matte Clear. It looks really good and does a great job at cutting the sheen down. I'll let this fully dry and re-evaluate then, but will most likely go over the entire cabinet with the matte clear.

PaintedWhitePart2-5.jpg 175 KB

PaintedWhitePart2-4.jpg 208 KB

PaintedWhitePart2-1.jpg 178 KB

looks good.

so who's stencil did you used.
man, i'm gonna have to kick myself in the a$$ and do mine.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Thanks!

See my post above... TL;DR, though, the classicarcades one.

oops didn't saw it.

3 months later
2 months later
#270 9 years ago

compare to most space shuttle, that PF looks great.

nice find.

2 months later
#442 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I have a new never installed CPR Space Shuttle backglass for sale, $200, No shipping but I will deliver for free within a 50 mile radius of MPLS/St Paul, MN. PM me if interested. Thanks

that's a good price paul.

1 month later
#593 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok, here is the repainted cab.

IMG-20141003-00369.jpg 116 KB

IMG-20141024-00423.jpg 68 KB

nice job, where did you get the stencil from?

1 week later
1 month later
#731 9 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I did this to mine. Sorry about the lousy photos... I've since sent the MPU for repair and can't take better at the moment. But you get the idea...

I couldn't be more pleased. The dot-ring light specks befit the looks of a "space station apparatus" and the cover blends well with them too.

314986-i.jpg 62 KB

314982.jpg 197 KB

i like it, it's definitely a nice touch to the shuttle

i did exactly that about 4 years ago, installing plastic post after the shuttle restoration, i also installed leds under it. at the time there was no shuttle available.

Space Shuttle toy (before-after).jpgSpace Shuttle toy (before-after).jpg Space shuttle toy led mod.jpgSpace shuttle toy led mod.jpg
2 months later
#791 9 years ago

i'm in, you have to ship to canada.

i really really need that for my restoration.

#794 9 years ago

I certainly don't mind shipping to Canada, I've sent numerous other things there! Thing is, though, they were usually small and comparatively inexpensive. I know shipping to Canada is fairly reasonable until you put the apparently satanic word "Insured" on the box - then it's like some sort of cross-border nexus warp toll comes into effect. I'll try and quote it out, but given the costs in play I definitely want to insure/track all of these, for everyone's sanity. If you have any recommendations I'd be happy to oblige. Maybe UPS or FedEx is the route here (I'm used to USPS parcels and such...)?

i will go with fedex before ups. it's not that bad really. mirror blades are bigger and it doesn't cost that much.
just send me the infos on my pm when get the quote, fedex or usps.

#796 9 years ago

OK, I have 6 stated reservations, so that's a full sheet claimed. If anyone else is interested, please chime in soon, toward building the next minimum group of 4. I have decided to only do a second group. Afterward I should probably investigate licensing and/or fab shops closer to me. But for now, I want to roll while there's a bit of momentum on our side. So if you want in, do it now!
I'll be PM'ing the first group in the next day or so, to confirm panel versions, personalization options, and of course name/addy and payment particulars.
As for payment: I've read enough threads around here to know that prepays are frowned upon, and, given how long it took me just to get a quote, oops I'm not keen on holding onto anyone's money. But it's a decent chunk-o-change on my end to place the order and I don't want to end up stuck there either. So I will probably ask for a non-refundable deposit credit toward your purchase, with a larger balance due upon my receipt from the fab shop. At least that seems fair, but if anyone has problems, or a better suggestion, I'm willing to entertain them.
Beatmaster, I forgot to dig my spares out to weigh and mock-pack for shipping estimation tonight, I will do that next. It seems two of these might be headed to California as well so, dang... shipping my MPU cross-country USPS insured was $20... so based on weight/dimensional similarity, I'm guessing it'll be in that neighborhood or more.
Vid, FWIW I've always been partial to USPS. NEVER a problem with them (unlike the private couriers), plus Sat delivery! Plus fond memories of my time working at the campus post office in college... somehow that was always more fun than it should have been, ha ha

no problem over here, whatever it takes.

man, i can wait to get this.

#805 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just color matched with Comet frosted smd's. With the 3 collums of white ones I made them red, white and blue.

i like that, i might go with this after the restoration.

#811 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I already told told you to stop with these cool mods already ! Your pissing me off with all this extra work that must now get done !!!

damn, wait t'il you see what i'm gonna do.

#815 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well if it's gonna cost me money I don't want to know.

money is made to be spent paul.

#818 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Well since I'm giving Superbee such good advise I'm sure he'll pick up my tab on this one.

yeah and he doesn't seems to mind.

Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok i give up. Whatever it is im probably in !! lol

#824 9 years ago

Just to update the Speaker Panel group 1, I completed the mods and sent them for conversion this morning. Hopefully there's no surprises lurking. Here's a preview of one without a full serial number... I'll PM the individuals their own, shortly...
EDIT: well turns out you can't put pics in PMs, so emails it'll be, to those who specified other options...!
SpaceShuttleSpeakerPanel_Williams_535..jpg (Click image to enlarge)

man, this is going to be awesome!

#827 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm going to try and make the panel stand off so I can put an led strip on the backside to light up the NASA part.

loll, this is exactly what i'm going to do like i said in my restoration. use art's led strip (6.3 volts plug in the g.i) or get 12 volts.

#829 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm thinking it would have to be 12v so the strip is long enough to go completly around the logo like with a speaker light. Attaching the strip like that ought to prove interesting. I have a slim blue strip that's 24in. long and 3/8 in. wide with the leds 1/2 in. apart, the strip is really bright too. But it would be nice to get a color changer.

yeah color changing would be great, but i'm thinking blue to match the rest of the machine.
if blue, use 2 strips (7 leds each) from comet plug together on the g.i (backglass).

1 week later
#843 9 years ago

trying to figure out everything i need for the speaker panel.

i need to know what are the size of the circle around the ''w''.

#845 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Can't wait to see what mod you have in mine. EL paper?

nah, probably rgb leds.

#847 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I gotta see how ya do that.

i will show everyone how it's done, pretty simple actually but you gonna have to make holes in that panel.

#851 9 years ago

the way i see it, if we put a new stainless steel panel in front of that panel, who will notice any holes?

if you want to light it up, other than el paper, you will have no choice and i don't want el paper for this, i want blue or rgb.

i will change the speaker in that panel for 2 speakers, like in the new stern.
the kit already exist but i'll make my own.

#853 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see. Do you think there is enough of a hole in the W for the sound to come out of? There's not much there.

yes i do, and if it's not enough, why not keep the one in the center.

**edited** and the idea is to make a hole behind the ''w'' so i can make a bracket for the light.

#855 9 years ago

first, i need to get that stainless steel panel.
and if i ever sell the game who would want to remove that stainless steel panel? it will be like 100x better.

if i don't need to, i won't make another panel.

1 month later
#875 8 years ago

congrats to those who received the panel.... still waiting for mine

it's probably waiting somewhere in custom... can't even track the package.
it should be here this week.

#879 8 years ago

Beatmaster, did you get the tracking info when I made the USPS label? I'll check it myself if it helps, but I've had this happen in the past with cross-border stuff. Can never figure out when/why/how some things are tracked step by step and others seemingly jump-warp to the end.

yup, last infos i had was last monday, after nothing, nada, nyet.
i'm pretty sure it will be here this week.

#880 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

yup, last infos i had was last monday, after nothing, nada, nyet.
i'm pretty sure it will be here this week.

lolllll... it finally moved...... 8 days from kentucky to illinois.... i'm guessing another 10 days before it gets here

1 week later
#888 8 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

lolllll... it finally moved...... 8 days from kentucky to illinois.... i'm guessing another 10 days before it gets here

lolllll only 3 days to go...... (crossing fingers)

oh wait.... it's been in chicago for a week....i hope they won't charge me a rent.... priority people..... priority.

#890 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

When you do get it wear cotton gloves....you look at it and it gets finger prints on it.

i'm gonna try not to look at it...

1 week later
#895 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I finally got around to putting something the Shuttle cut-outs on the panel. It looks ok so I'll leave it for now. Red sparkle paper. It sparkles real nice when you move your head. Well guys, yea or nay? Sorry for the crappy pictures, my camera isn't very good in low light but you get the idea.
IMGA0925.JPG
IMGA0922.JPG
IMGA0924.JPG
IMGA0923.JPG

nice going there paul, man i can't wait to get that panel.

2 weeks later
#908 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

Hey if I decided to get into the market for this table, if I find a pretty nice one inside and out that wasn't just shoddy players condition, one that's quite nice and doesn't need any help, what would I be likely into it for? I'm curious how these are valued today.

between $800 - $1200

3 months later
#929 8 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone has a link to any cool custom instruction cards?

page 2 of this thread.

1 month later
#957 8 years ago

for a moment there i was freaking out! c'mon man make one for space shuttle.

#965 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Pretty much the same thing as everyone else, a playfield. New ramps would be nice too.

yeah ramp would be nice too but i heard/read the new one is a pita to make it fit.
i'd love to have a new one in my restoration but i'm ready to wait if a new clear/blue one is made.

#983 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Thanks Vid1900, do they just slide back on?

i just did mine, a little bit of soap and they go right in.

#1005 8 years ago

i've been looking at those for a few years now, at the time it was pinscore, if i chose one, i'd go with blue.

1 week later
#1012 8 years ago

yep the metal grill goes right over the 2 transformers but not touching them, of course. there should be a bracket holding the grill right over them.

the 2 brackets in the back of the playfield belongs there, you are missing the rubbers that goes in each hole, it will hold the playfield in place. the scratches on the plastic are mostly done because of that and the glass trims right on top of it.

1 week later
#1017 8 years ago

i was going to but.....
i already have a new set in the game and already have a few scrates on the underside, paint/printing is already gone.
they are very easy to scratch from anything.

my suggestion, put a small piece of mylar/or similar on the area above a screw or anything that might scratch them.

#1020 8 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

... now they just need to re-run the playfields and we will be all set

and you could do something like this

485239_(resized).jpg485239_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#1038 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Something came in the mail yesterday.
Wait -- What's this?
Oh yes... only my favorite thing in pinball...
-mof

201601-SSH-enhanced-frames_(resized).jpg

i almost got those, if you can post a picture when installed that'd be nice.

#1044 8 years ago

so those are cliffy, can you share the link to this version, thanks.

2 weeks later
#1055 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

My lane change feature does not work. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this? Can it be enabled or disabled via the diagnostics?

start by checking your right flipper button double switch if it's dirty or not making contact.

#1057 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I have already replaced the left and right side with all new switches. I think maybe the EOS switch on the right flipper assembly may be out of adjustment or possibly corroded.

yes, i meant on the right flipper assembly.

#1064 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

What exactly is q27-q19?

also check if you still have the little spring on the bracket/selenoid that hit the bell.

edited. sorry, it's for the post above you.

#1066 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I think you've replied to the wrong post. Halflip has the bell issue

damn it, you are right.

#1067 8 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

My Space Shuttle bell is acting funny. The coil that strikes the bell activates when it should, but the bell doesn't really "ring" or "chatter" like a school bell. It just strikes it once with a thonk, and that's it. Is this a mechanical issue with the bell striker, or something else?
-Doug

if the spring doesn't work properly or not there, it will go ''ding'' one shot.

#1069 8 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

The spring is there and pulls back the lever when the coil de energizes, as it should. Here's a pic of the assembly, it looks like it's all there...
I took some pics and vids of what's going on. The switch appears to be N/C, as the coil doesn't fire when I opened the switch...Hmm...
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
image_(resized).jpg

your leaf switch needs to be adjust. when you push on the bracket it doesn't open. it doesn't take much, 1/64 gap.
it's normally close and should open just a bit when the coil is activated.

#1075 8 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

You guys rock. That is a difficult switch adjustment since it needs to be open just enough to break the connection when the lever activates. Ringing works great now.
I will bend back the bracket; I never realized it wasn't supposed to be bent like that until you pointed it out!
Thanks!
-Doug

glad it's working.

don't touch that bracket that's how it's supposed to be. never saw one straight.

here's mine.

Bell_(resized).JPGBell_(resized).JPG

bell_tilt_panel1_(resized).JPGbell_tilt_panel1_(resized).JPG

#1077 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Hmmmm interesting. Mine is perfectly straight and functions, very loud and clear. I guess bent or straight it doesn't matter lol
I just noticed something in your pics. Where is your tilt ball and tilt switch?

first pic everything is there except the ball, it's there now. those pics are from my restoration.

#1079 8 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Wow beatmaster - way to pimp out the inside of your cabinet!

thanks, if you want to see more of the restoration.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun

#1081 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Beatmasters resto will make anyone jealous.

just started a new resto paul, firepower. i don't think i'll go crazy on this one... well, maybe... a little.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-restoration-it-has-begun#post-2984477

2 weeks later
#1093 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Man that looks terrible.

i agree, damn!

got my plastic set from cpr also but they don't look that bad. i know they don't match the original but this his is way off.

also, protect every area where there's a screw under the plastic, they scratch easily. worst than the original.

1 week later
#1098 8 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Can I join the club?
As you can see, all the cabinet red is faded, of which I haven’t got around to doing the stencils yet.
DSC01372_(resized).jpg
DSC01456_(resized).jpg
Lucky enough to purchase a CPR playfield and plastics set back in 2012.
The plastics lighter blue does better suit the blues on CPR playfield.
SSR3_(resized).jpg
Just for fun, I had a used 15” widescreen topper (ex-slot machine) with SD media player running five minutes of shuttle launches on a constant loop.
Topper has no sound or interaction with machine play. Just for attraction.
» YouTube video

is that the stencil from classic arcade?

#1101 8 years ago
Quoted from OzPaul:

Thanks for asking that rhetorical question, because it never crossed my mind and it appears that also got shafted and have some problems ahead of me.
Turns out that I did purchase Classic Arcades ones via eBay a long time ago and yes, now realise I have the wider back box version machine.
After reading your SS restoration thread and double checking the BB stencils first, even if I had a slim BB, those border lines are way, way off! That’s just terrible and they still list them on ebay which you can clearly see the alignment error in the description photos.
20160320_111822_(resized).jpg
Looks like I have lots of cutting ahead of me centralising the spaceman/logo and doing my own consistent border lines.
Any heads up on cabinet alignment issues I’m about too soon discover would be great?
Out of interest, are the Twisted Pins ones made for the wider BB? I’m guessing the Marco ones are just re-selling Twisted Pins?
Thanks again,
Paul.

yeah i knew it the minute i saw the stencil.
i too got the stencil long before i did the restoration.

make sure they are perfectly aligned, there is no bleeding at all.
if my memory is right, there is also a problem with the spaceman that doesn't aligned or missing.

the best way is to cut the stencil in pieces (backbox) and use masking tape or frisket to cover the missing part.

good luck with this, take your time and double check before you spray anything.

2 months later
#1124 7 years ago

sounds like a short, also check the transistors driving those coils.

1 month later
#1163 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes DIY. PM beatmaster, he can direct you to his rebuild topic. The buttons are 22mm Angel Eye momentary switch buttons on Ebay. They are 12v but light up nice with 6v from the coin insert bulbs. You do have to half way hog out the original button hole on the inside of the cab cuz the button threads aren't long enough to go all the way through.

here's what paul was talking about.
first picture, get the one on the left, blue, 22mm.

lightup_start_button6_(the_one_on_the_left)_(resized).jpglightup_start_button6_(the_one_on_the_left)_(resized).jpg

lightup_start_button_(resized).jpglightup_start_button_(resized).jpg

lightup_start_button2_(resized).jpglightup_start_button2_(resized).jpg

lightup_start_button3_(resized).jpglightup_start_button3_(resized).jpg

lightup_start_button4_(resized).jpglightup_start_button4_(resized).jpg

lightup_start_button5_(resized).jpglightup_start_button5_(resized).jpg

space_shuttle_front_(resized).jpgspace_shuttle_front_(resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#1194 7 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

Howdy fellas. I have 6 flyers sitting here and looking for just the cost of shipping. (Can prob be shipped media mail? Cheap..)
PM if ya want one. Thanks

pm sent.

1 week later
#1205 7 years ago

same here, received my flyer from Harvs today. thank you very much for doing this.

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Hey guys ... I have a friend that has a space shuttle that has been sitting for 25 years.
I have seen the game and it looks complete. MPU will need work and game is dirty ( Full Mylar )
I was temped to pick it up but I really dont have the time so I told him I would put the word out.
PM me for his contact info .. Game is located in Charlotte area and wont be parted out. $700.00

if the game has a mylar good chance the playfield is in decent shape (better than most outhere), i'll say grab it if thats the case.

#1219 7 years ago

playfield under the mylar looks pretty damn good for this game.

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Bob, how many of the insert decals will come up with the mylar? use cold or heat to lift the mylar?

good question. i'd probably go heat gun but than again freeze does a great job too. i'd have to see it first hand. try in a spot that doesn't show and see how it goes.

1 month later
#1286 7 years ago

check your fuses (everywhere) and switches (clean them up), all connectors, start with that.

1 month later
#1301 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Welcome to the club. Wow this is your 3rd one. You have got to go through the past pages and see what Beatmaster did to his game, nicest one on the planet.

well, thanks paul.

Beatmaster's space shuttle (resized).jpgBeatmaster's space shuttle (resized).jpg

#1305 7 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Are all the flasher bulbs in the game 63s?

going with leds?

3 weeks later
#1321 7 years ago

i have a cpr but curious to see what it is.

1 month later
#1347 7 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

well there's something wrong with the blues on the CPR SS plastic sets! They don't match my originals at all!

i agree, the plastic set from cpr doesn't match and they are easy to scratch.

3 weeks later
#1368 7 years ago

yeah it's a nice upgrade, i went blue in the lamp sockets.
you should put a let strip in the out hole to light up that shooter lane.

1 week later
#1374 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Shuttle just landed. I'd like to find one of those stainless speaker panels and figure out how to back light it. If anybody has any info...

i think i'm the only one who did that.

here's a link of my restoration with the infos:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun/page/8

#1376 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup your the only one and it's over the top cool.

i wouldn't say over the top but yeah, it's cool.
follow my firepower restoration, it should be similar.

1 week later
#1395 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Package didnt contain legs...Bummer. Thanks for the info though

same here, never received that.

#1403 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Now who has that Nasa speaker grill they want to get rid of??

you mean this

well, if you do get one, i'd be happy to help you out.

Speaker panel (speakers installed) (resized).JPGSpeaker panel (speakers installed) (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#1410 7 years ago

OK, this is the post a lot of you folks might have been waiting for: I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since. And I've had a few PMs over the years.
Sadly I do NOT have a firm availability date yet. I did get a local shop to make a similar PinBot panel I developed a month ago... but they've since been swamped and I've yet to get a firm re-commitment on quantity pricing and turnaround. I'm hoping to get that this week. At the very least I've been promised that info.... if it falls through then, well... crap.
This run of Panels will NOT be customized. They will all have the "Double W" pattern, with "535 DEFENDER" beneath the NASA logo (In 2015 I offered several options but it was a bit much to keep track of, and then one got lost in shipment which didn't help).
The good news is, assuming the last estimate I was given a month ago still holds, I can offer these a little cheaper than 2015, at $130 shipped within the Lower48. (In 2015 they were $140).
So I'm seeking an official tally of folks interested at that price. I am not taking deposits and have nothing to ship at this time! If you would buy at $130, send me a PM. If enough interest is there it may help me secure a commitment to the shop order. Maybe drive the price lower too, who knows... to that end if you are interested in the PinBot panel (see club thread there), let me know.
Thanks!

that's good news, you gonna make a lot of people happy. people have asked me the same since i did the lighting mod for mine.

infos on how i did the lighting are on my space shuttle restoration thread.

1 week later
#1425 7 years ago
Quoted from jmmasterson:

Hello Fellow Space Shuttle Pilots!
I am a relatively new pinhead, and recently became the proud owner of my very first pin, a Space Shuttle in need of serious restoration that I picked up from the benevolent restorer, rhettkun .
I will make a separate thread to track my restoration journey (I'm a n00b, so it's gonna take a while), but I thought I'd share some "before" pictures here, and eventually the "after" pics.
My plan is to follow, as closely as possible, the amazing restoration process fastidiously outlined by beatmaster in this thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-restoration-it-has-begun . Countdown to launch, and wish me luck on re-entry!

wow a lot of work ahead of you but nothing is impossible, don't be afraid to ask.

#1431 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh but that's gonna be soooo hard to do after seeing Bobs game.

anybody can do the same thing paul, i'm just a little crazier.

#1432 7 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Meh, I've seen blind men do better.

actually blind people can do amazing things.

5 months later
#1563 6 years ago

always test a fuse when not installed even if it looks good.

1 month later
#1606 6 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I just joined the club again. When turn the game on a can hear a very low slight click from the door. After opening up the door this is the piece that makes a slight click when turning on the game, there's a small piece of metal that moves about a 1/4" is this normal (the green piece is what moves)?

yep, normal.

2 weeks later
#1630 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

WOW that speaker cover looks amazing! Count me in on ordering one once you have them available!!! Love the way you added the custom lighting as well, Awesome. Definitely would rival my STTNG pinball!

actually, all you receive is the stainless steel panel. the custom lighting and speaker panel was done by me in my restoration.

1 month later
#1705 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

While he's restoring my Space Shuttle, my friend made a pretty cool mod that adds exhaust animation to the shuttle toy.
Here it is in action:
» YouTube video
The exhaust itself is 3 red star posts that he cut. Then he added an LED, and tied it to one of the 3 flickering exhaust lights in the backbox (next to the four flashers).

cool, i made that a few years ago in my restoration.

first start2 (resized).JPGfirst start2 (resized).JPG

#1710 6 years ago

i did and i think i'm the only one. i made a new speaker panel led strip around the speakers and nasa.

with stainless steel (resized).JPGwith stainless steel (resized).JPG

#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

That looks awesome beatmaster

thank you, you can follow the restoration and how i did the speaker panel here.

4 weeks later
#1723 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

Anyone have a good picture of an original Power Supply for SS, I can use for reference (vs one that has been "bullet proofed")?
Williams Space Shuttle 535
System 9
D-8345-1914

maybe this?

transformer (resized).JPGtransformer (resized).JPG

transformers clean (resized).JPGtransformers clean (resized).JPG

#1725 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

Tx. I'll file that away as well! When I get brave enought to start cleaning up that part of the machine.
But I was looking for the PCB Power Supply board in the backbox.

my bad, and i wasn't drinking lol. this is a transformer and in my mind (don't know why) i was looking for this picture in my restoration.

here's the right one.

driver board front (resized).JPGdriver board front (resized).JPG

2 months later
#1774 6 years ago

i knew about the pop bumper body when i did my restoration installed them a while ago, too bad there wasn't clear skirt at the time because it's pretty damn cool.

2 months later
#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Original or redone?

i'd be curious as well, how much my restoration is worth.

2 weeks later
#1809 5 years ago

pretty damn cool, reminds me of what i did a few years ago.

3 months later
#1891 5 years ago
Quoted from OlliG:

Currently I'm in the design process for a new 3D printed MOD for my space shuttle. This Hubble Telescope is supposed to be placed in the top-left corner of the game.
It will be illuminated from the inside, so that the solar-panels and the the front lens will light up.
What do you think?
[quoted image][quoted image]

oooh, deja vue.

satellite (resized).JPGsatellite (resized).JPGsatellite mounted2 (resized).JPGsatellite mounted2 (resized).JPG
2 months later
#1971 5 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Does anyone have any suggestions to eliminate speaker buzz noise?? I have pinball pro speaker and sub, but there is always a buzz in the speakers with the volume turned up that follows in intensity when the playfield lights are on etc during attract mode. Don’t notice it during play probably due to all the other sounds. So with all four of my pins on in attract mode, you can always hear space shuttle. Do I need to add another ground or something to the power supply in the cabinet? I just tried to touching a ground wire from the backboxspeaker to the back box etc and and it didn’t change the buzz.
Any help will be appreciated
Jason

unscrew the sound board (leave everything plugged) let it float by itself, turn the game on, see if it's gone.

1 month later
#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Hardtop install done! I’m very pleased. I am chasing one gremlin. Sometimes when locking a ball, it lights the lock but doesn’t put another ball in the shooter lane. Sometimes it ends the ball and sometimes it puts a ball in the shooter lane after a long delay. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. A big thanks to grumpy for all the trouble shooting help.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

came out nice.

nice cards on the apron!

3 weeks later
#2025 5 years ago

that's all i got from years ago, not mine. i can't put the original file here because it's too big 2.9mb, pinside will resize the picture.
pm me your e-mail, i'll send it to you.

space_large (resized).jpgspace_large (resized).jpg

4 months later
#2153 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Had some time over the weekend to install some new LEDs on the shuttle. Wow! Comet pinball wow! Will definitely be adding some more of these. Also had a chance to add some new paint for the reverse painted Playfield glass so the shuttle thrusters luminate from the rear of the shuttle, tied them into the lights of the flickering shuttle thrusters on the backglass for a wonderful animated effect. LED strip on ramp lights and flickers with plunger. the red in the lock channels is tied into the lock light, so blinks when lock is able and solid when ball is captured, love this game![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

nice touch on the thrusters!

5 months later
#2311 4 years ago

the backglass doesn't go down enough. you can tell by looking at lift trim in the speaker channel.

2 months later
#2457 4 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Arrived today. Looks great.[quoted image]

ramp look sweet, nice that it comes with the flap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider beatmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=beatmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.