(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

"Welcome New Astronauts"

I didn't see a "club" for Space Shuttle, so I thought I would start one.

A few good links for Space Shuttle:
operator's guide: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2260
instruction cards: http://www.flippers.info/spaceshuttleinstructioncards.asp
ed cheung: http://www.edcheung.com/album/album05/pinball/shuttlepin.htm

And, great news for the first post: CPR has finally released their backglass for this game! It has been YEARS, but, by the looks of it, it was worth the wait! CPR has released the plastics, playfield, and now the glass.
Link to CPR: http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-backglass.html

As many also know, the shuttle, ramp, decals, cabinet stencils, and even the boards are also available for order from many suppliers, therefor a COMPLETE rebuild can be done on ALL aspects of this title! which is especially awesome considering that this title has been credited for "saving pinball" at one point, and it is also a title that many of us recall playing on location at one point or another.

--Ed LI NY

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

We'll since I'm the second to post "READY PILOT 2"
Just finished dialing mine in this evening after finishing up the playfield swap I've been dragging out for 4 years.

Nice job on the "READY PILOT 2" reference!

#8 10 years ago

Has anyone ordered the CPR backglass repro for this title yet? And, if so, what do you think of the repro in-person? The repro looks fantastic in the pics on CPR, but I would also love to hear some info from anyone who has seen it in-person
--Ed

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from joelreeves:

Hey Guys, Hopefully a Future SS owner here.
We are hoping to get a couple of nice Space Shuttles down here for the
http://southernfriedgameroomexpo.com - June 20-22 in Atlanta.
Barry Oursler is our special guest and we'll be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of this amazing game with its creator.
It will really help make the show special to have some great examples of this pin.
Please PM me if you will be able to help out.
thanks!

Out of curiosity, are you running the event, or simply going?

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I would wait at least a week because those stencils are VERY sticky. The front of my HS turned out like crap cause the stencils fit so badly and were so sticky. I wish someone would make the hard stencils so you get the factory type stencil fit. Hope you have good luck with yours.
I've had my Shuttle for about 8 months, original cab, bg and pf, all in nice shape. Put leds in it, new legs, new plastics, led color changing light strips under it, made plex mirror side mirrors and a 200 watt powered sub. It's a keeper.

nice touch on the use of red, white, and blue/purple (wasn't sure which it was in the pics) LEDs on the lower PF inserts!

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

if anybody need new free play and instructions card.
i made those a few months

Those are awesome! Nice work!

#108 10 years ago

Who knows of a space shuttle in the wild, so if anyone who doesn't have a space shuttle can play this classic

2 weeks later
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Oh I know I could do it it's just I don't have a place or the time to do it.

Limited space and time seem to be something many Iof us "suffer" from....lol.

#153 10 years ago

Just ordered my new repro pop bumper caps from Jeff/classic arcade via eBay, very excited to finally have a nice new set that ALL are bright white and the red that is ALL THERE!
Now if only he would do a GORGAR cap set....lol

#154 10 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Just ordered my new repro pop bumper caps from Jeff/classic arcade via eBay, very excited to finally have a nice new set that ALL are bright white and the red that is ALL THERE!
Now if only he would do a GORGAR cap set....lol

HOLY COW - after years of waiting, he now has the GORGAR! I can't believe I mentioned it in this post, then I see them listed! LOL!
Looks like it's going to be a good weekend for pop bumpers in my games!

#173 10 years ago

The Space Shuttle bumper caps came today; they look amazing! Treat yourself, and your Space Shuttle, to a set, you won't be disappointed!

8 months later
#594 9 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Here's a version more in keeping with the standard Williams appearance of later years....

SpaceShuttleSpeaker_WMS.jpg 22 KB

my vote is for the double "W" Williams logo ... it is similar to what they have done on many previous games of the era, like Cyclone, putting the logo on each speaker. Also, I feel like "Nasa" already says "space shuttle" and doesn't need an additional one or two right next to it, especially considering this new artwork would be directly under the back glass that has a HUGE shuttle under it. To me, if it was to have the two shuttles on the new artwork, it would be like Backglass HUGE shuttle, Nasa=shuttle, and then two more shuttles in the new artwork ... just feels like overkill to me.
The double "W" and "Nasa" really look good and look like something Willaims would have done stock! Just my 2 cents!

#616 9 years ago

Yeah, that thought and your reasoning is what I originally had in mind. But I really like the Shuttle logo and a trace was simple enough so I figured why not? I get what you're saying about "NASA=shuttle so how many do you need"... but I thought the shuttle logo is only seen on the cabinet sides, so why not somewhere on the front as well? As for redundancy and overkill, just on the front you have the Williams logo in the backglass, on the apron, and on the coin door, oops. I previously explained my personal dislike of mirrored clipart so I tried to split the difference.
Nonetheless, there's a good argument for each concept and personally, my almost changes with the weather.
So I submitted the final tweaked art and should have finished samples of all three, hopefully within the month. The verdict will likely come out of the installed visuals.
(I might submit a request for a coin door insert, in place of where the Williams sticker would be. Could be a good place for the Shuttle Logo if I decide on the dual-Williams speaker panel).

Will you be making them available for others to buy too?

1 month later
#744 9 years ago

My vote, from your initial inquiry, has been the double Williams logo, and oh man, the completed product looks amazing! While all the versions look great, my vote is staying on the double Williams logo.
I would really love one of them if you can make some extra.
--Ed

5 months later
#913 8 years ago

The sparkle paper looks great! Oddly enough, i have some of the wxact red paper from a previous project...i will have to give it a try on my new panel!

Thanks for sharing!

--ed

#914 8 years ago
Quoted from Tanooki:

So it's a wide range depending on stock, add-ons, and condition I guess. I'm contemplating swapping out a PinBot for it. I'm not very versed in keeping one with a touchy vortex and mechanicals happy like I am with a more basic table. What I have into it would put me between the range it appears if I did it. Thanks.

I have been looking for a trade for a Pinbot, but just not ready to let go og my space shuttle. I do, however, have a super nice close encounters that imjust finished restoring (also upgraded to pascal all in ine board and pascal remote control sensor....umong other upgrades). I also have a silverball mania that i am in the process of restoring.

If you are interested, let me know.
--ed

4 months later
#941 8 years ago

Dr Scoops,

Here is the list of playfield parts...just look through the list for the rubbers and their sizes, make a list for yourself, and then olace your order

In regards to what tools you may need, a pair of screw drivers, have a phillips and a flat head ready, and a set of pliers would be a good idea to have on hand too.

btw, here is a link to the manual for space shuttle, which is on IPDB
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2260/Williams_1984_Space_Shuttle_Instruction_Manual_dated_Nov_3_1984_with_schematics.pdf

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#943 8 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

You can call Pinball Resource (845) 473-7114 and just order a rubber kit for the game. Pinball Resource will set you up with an account and ship the parts to you along with an invoice for you to pay. PBR generally extends credit on your first order up to $50.
http://www.pbresource.com/
http://www.pbresource.com/rubber.html

Quoted from DrScoops:

Sounds like Titan Bands are all the rage these days, but they don't have a set kit for Space Shuttle on their site. How can I know what I need to order?

I gave the chart, as it sounds like he was looking to buy TITAN BANDS, but they disnt have a kit listed for Space Shuttle. I too love PBR, and recomend ordering stuff with him. However, I don't believe PBR carries TITAN BANDS; I could be wrong though.

#944 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

Please forgive a new member here if my forum searching skills are lacking.

Nothing to be sorry about! We were all new to this hobbie at one point. I posted an answer to you questions, but if you need any more help/have other question, we are here to help!

--ed

#947 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Only Titan sells Titan. They don't have any re sellers.

That's what i was getting at in my response to FREEPLAY40's reply about using PBR for what DRSCOOPS was asking about

#948 8 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

How is it that when this thread started a year ago All of the most important items needed to fully restore a Space Shuttle were readily available, to now where there is next to nothing? I can't find anything that I need, so I guess I am to late??

What items are you looking for?

8 months later
#1187 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

These are up for grabs again if anyone is interested. Produced by classic arcades.

How much are you looking to get? I think I can use some of those!

1 month later
#1274 7 years ago
Quoted from blingsr1:

I've checked the last month or so and haven't seen one.

CPR at least has the plastics set for space shuttle

4 months later
#1338 7 years ago

Has anyone here gotten the new V2 backglass? I'm curious to hear some feedback about it, especially since the one that was done a little while back got a ton of heat for all the "extra" blue. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy people are making these, but for a game like this, I love the original one, and want one that is as close to that as possible....which may just mean waiting to get a really nice used one. Not to mention, the one I have isn't horrible, which makes it even harder to justify spending money if it isn't 100% what I would like

2 months later
#1418 6 years ago

I'm trying to prepare another run of the stainless "NASA" Speaker Panels I had done in 2015, which have been mentioned several times here since.

I was one of the lucky ones to have gotten in on that 2015 run, and got to have my game's serial number added into the grill design!
I love it and everyone who plays the game always comments on it. Many players who are familiar with the game are a bit confused when they notice it, as it looks so good that it looks stock, and they are unsure if it is stock, or they are just re,entering something wrong. To me, the fact that most think it is factory is a huge compliment for any mod...as a ,of that looks like it should have been there since it was rolled off the factory floor is the best sort of mod/addition in my opinion
--ed

1 month later
#1493 6 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Here is what it looks like right now

Nice job on the LED selections/placements. I really like the little splash of red on the left and right sides- just enough to set off the blue you used--totally fits the color scheme for this game!

#1502 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I'm In!
Just picked up a fairly rough but fully working and playing Shuttle!
Playfield is pretty borked, so I just ordered the new hardtop overlay.
Going to be interesting seeing how that comes out.

Can you post a link to the overlay you are using; I am curious to check them out.

5 months later
#1592 6 years ago

I don’t know where to get a translite, however, there are actual glass ones being made again, and by more than one company I believe.

Quoted from Yesh23:

Anyone know where to get a translite? I don't have the best backglass and looking to upgrade it.

1 year later
#2075 4 years ago

It’s funny you ask this, as I thought the same thing years ago.
When my wife was about the play a Space Shuttle many years ago before we bought one, I was like, this game is great, the shuttle will move during gameplay. Then it didn’t happen.
After thinking a bout it, I think as a kid, the one I played in the arcade must have had a shuttle that was loose or broken, and anytime I shot it up the ramp, it went up, and then it would slowly come back down, and then back up with another ramp shot.

But, then again, maybe it’s one of those alternate reality things, as until I bought one, I would have put money on space shuttle having a moving shuttle ...lol

Quoted from groffdaddy:

Was there ever a version of Space Shuttle that the shuttle actually moved up and down? I swear I played one where it did unless it was another game.

#2093 4 years ago

Looking awesome.

If you are interested in an idea for the design, you could make it a half circle, where the bottom it the flat side and the top is the rounded part. By doing this, you would get the flat side to sit in the track to get the light pickup. And you could loose the bottom half that has a ton of empty space / not a lot doing on. I think it would work really well....it would keep the circle feel of the design, use the most important part while removing dead space. Obviously you would want to adjust the ship and everything to make it look right on the half circle spacing.
Anyways, it’s just a thought I had while looking at it, use it ...or not...up to you

Whatever you do....cool idea...and I look forward to seeing the final product!

Quoted from OlliG:

I'm experimenting a little bit with my new diy CNC machine....
Watching the machine doing it's work is like meditation
Here it is engraving acrylic....
This is supposed to be some kind of a prototype for a custom topper....[quoted image]

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider E_N_3.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=E_N_3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.