(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Center Ramp Switch Upgrade thread Posted by silver_spinner (10 years ago)

Post #50 Side rail nail removal Posted by toyotaboy (10 years ago)

Post #54 Free Play cards Posted by beatmaster (10 years ago)

Post #391 Backbox Display - Sticker Template Posted by toyotaboy (9 years ago)

Post #2362 DIY Glare Guard Posted by MurphyPeoples (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3679 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I’m still not sure which is better, hardtop or new playfield, done both for this game for a friend.

I agree, playfield is ideal but the matter is complicated for me by the fact that CPR's art for Space Shuttle is really poor. The art on the SPACE SHUTTLE inserts was autovectored so badly that it looks like it melted.

Screenshot_20211003-080812.pngScreenshot_20211003-080812.png

And the halftones suddenly disappear in chunks. This is real amateur hour stuff:

Screenshot_20211003-080743~2.pngScreenshot_20211003-080743~2.png

The hardtop art looks perfect by comparison.

I feel like I dodged a bullet as I was moments from ordering the CPR playfield last week when I noticed these things. I know art reproduction isn't everyone's top priority but for me these were deal breakers. I'd rather stake out a NOS or use the money on a restoration.

#3680 2 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Bump....
Anyone know if a newer Williams drop target will work on space shuttle?
Or someone with a 3d printer want to print one of these for me? I'm more them happy to pay for your work.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4602509

rottenrobert1313 I have red and galaxy black available right now. Do you have a preference? I can print one of these this afternoon if you still need one.

#3682 2 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Man a day late and lots of dollars short. It figures, that's my luck... mama always said I'm too inpatient. I just ordered a whole new drop mech with updated target from pinball life. I guess I should've waited a few more days. I'm at the point where I just want to finish this game. I really appreciate it though. Ugh...

Cool. Offer stands if things don't work out.

4 months later
#3905 2 years ago

I don't care for that art package at all and I wouldn't buy a game with it, but if it is your aesthetic go for it.

4 months later
#3978 1 year ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

I'm looking at buying a new backglass to replace my peeled original.
I see what appear to be several versions of the glass out there.
The one that PPS sells seems to be the same one at Classic Playfield Reproductions.
Marco's website shows one that looks a bit bluer. They won't say who makes the one they sell.
Has anyone bought one from PPS, CPR or Marco lately, and if so - how does it compare to the original?
I do want to go with mirrored glass, not a translite.

Coos does one with proper mirroring, not the crappy CPR stuff.

1 week later
#3986 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

I don't know, most of the stuff I get from CPR looks pretty good and I've seen plenty of it. Do you have a readily available supply of NOS parts for all of the games they have on their website?
Are all of their parts perfect? No. Should we be happy that we have a source of parts at all for games that are mostly 30+ years old? I know that I am, along with a lot of friends that I have in the hobby.
I'd say for a company of less than 10 people, they do a pretty damn good job. If this was so simple, we'd have plenty of other options...

This is poor reasoning. Just because there aren't alternatives doesn't make the company impervious to criticism.

I've spent dozens of hours correcting problems with their products and wasted hundreds of dollars on products with art that isn't anywhere near a passable reproduction. I pointed the original poster to Coos as someone that does a version of backglass mirroring that looks closer to the originals. Hardly an inflammatory thing to do.

But since you decided to go down the apologist route, it should be pointed out that in every case where CPR playfields and Outside Edge hardtops overlap Outside Edge has far more accurate artwork (including Space Shuttle), so it isn't as if this is an impossible task for a small company.

#3990 1 year ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

Perhaps I’m missing it, but where does Coos list the Space Shuttle glass for sale?

https://www.coos.net/bingo_e/Backglasses.html
Scroll down to the Williams stuff.
Can't say that he is offering it for sale per say but if you're looking it is worth contacting him about it.

5 months later
#4105 1 year ago
Quoted from Mope161616:

I need a Backglass for my #Space Shuttle. I see some complaints about CPR glass, Does anyone know if PPS sells the CPR glass, or is it made by someone else? I am looking for real mirror if possible.

Use Coos.

1 week later
#4111 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/shuttleplayfield/
Has anyone does a thorough side by side comparison on the art? Did they get this one 100% correct?

No, the art on this is really poor. Almost bought one a year back but noticed the art problems in time. Pretty typical for CPR. Bad font matches, thick keylines, blocks of half tone disappear suddenly instead of fade.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/74#post-6530947

5 months later
#4327 10 months ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Working on a playfield swap for my Space Shuttle, and thinking forward to reinstalling the metal lane guides (for the return/outlanes). They have the hollow metal cylinders as posts which flare at the bottom where they touch the playfield. Screwing these back into the new playfield is just going to cause the same damage in this area as on the original. Any tips on how to protect this area?
Randy

Check out Vid's guide to repopulating playfields. He addresses this.

#4329 10 months ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Hmm I've looked through that guide a couple of times and couldn't find it (though my wife claims I can't find anything...). Maybe a different thread?

Ah, it was in the restoration thread, not the repopulation thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/88#post-3779355

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider A_Bord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff?tu=A_Bord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.