(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,492 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 90.
#4401 3 months ago
Quoted from gutz:

I initially put my MRS ramp switch too low and the pop bumper magnetism/firing was enough to trigger the ramp switch.

It is better to cheat it more to the right (away from the pop)

#4402 3 months ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Any recommendations on the type of paint to use to paint the nose of the replacement plastic shuttle gray? I think it would look better and match the original (and the actual shuttle).

As follow-up to this, I felt I'd get a smoother result with a spray rather than a brush. Was also looking for something that would adhere to the smooth plastic. I ended up going with Behr Premium spray paint in Orion Grey color from Home Depot. Came out really nice and I'm happy with it. Will have to see how durable it is though, seems pretty easy to scratch.

Orion Grey (resized).pngOrion Grey (resized).png
#4403 3 months ago

Just finishing up a playfield swap and LED upgrade to my Space Shuttle. One issue I've noted is that in attract mode, when the bonus matrix is supposed to spell out 'S-P-A-C-E S-H-U-T-T-L-E', it's pretty random and many more lamps are lit than should be (so it doesn't spell anything). The rest of the attract mode patterns seem ok, which is what makes this so odd. I saw one other thread mentioning this issue but I didn't see anything which spoke to the cause or the fix. Anyone else ever run across this?

#4404 3 months ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

Just finishing up a playfield swap and LED upgrade to my Space Shuttle. One issue I've noted is that in attract mode, when the bonus matrix is supposed to spell out 'S-P-A-C-E S-H-U-T-T-L-E', it's pretty random and many more lamps are lit than should be (so it doesn't spell anything). The rest of the attract mode patterns seem ok, which is what makes this so odd. I saw one other thread mentioning this issue but I didn't see anything which spoke to the cause or the fix. Anyone else ever run across this?

I had a similar issue:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system-9-mpu-repair-log

#4405 3 months ago
Quoted from gutz:

I initially put my MRS ramp switch too low and the pop bumper magnetism/firing was enough to trigger the ramp switch.

Yes, this was happening to me as well. I'm still testing where the best place is to put the magnet and in which direction. I know the recommendation is to put it parallel to the ramp rather than across it. I'm trying both and looking for the sweet spot. I'm finding that some times the switch doesn't register at all, perhaps a result of the ball moving too fast? In other cases, depending on where the switch is positioned, the puck between the flippers doesn't pop up fast enough and you end up with a centre drain.

When/if I can figure out the ideal location and position, I will report back. Taking the ramp off and on is a bit of a pain...

#4406 3 months ago

I tried to snap a photo from the side of the ramp to show where I put the MRS but I couldn't get a shot of it, If I'm ever messing with the ramp I'll snap a photo of exactly where I put it on the bottom.

I recently streamed some game play of it, if anyone wants to compare the shield operation to theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/live/b_c5nHSxUAU?si=yJHLPjakDyr-JvM2

#4407 3 months ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

I tried to snap a photo from the side of the ramp to show where I put the MRS but I couldn't get a shot of it, If I'm ever messing with the ramp I'll snap a photo of exactly where I put it on the bottom.
I recently streamed some game play of it, if anyone wants to compare the shield operation to theirs.
https://www.youtube.com/live/b_c5nHSxUAU?si=yJHLPjakDyr-JvM2

Your game plays a bit faster than mine. Does yours have a hardtop or new playfield? Mine plays fast, but not quite that fast. I've been going through and replacing coil sleeves and rebuilding all the mechs to make sure it's playing as nice and as fast as possible and just to make sure they're all new. Not sure if or when they were replaced before I got the machine.

#4408 3 months ago

Nope. Old original playfield.

#4409 3 months ago

Nope. Old original playfield.

Wow. I wonder how yours is so fast. I’ve cleaned, rebuilt, replaced parts on all mechs and did a flipper rebuild with all new parts as well. I regularly clean and wax it; was just waxed. The ball just moves much faster on yours… even coming off the flippers and off the slingshots. That’s why I thought maybe you had a hardtop or new playfield or something.

Do you know what pitch your game is set to? I think I have my levelers all the way up in the back. I don’t remember what pitch it is though; I’d have to check again.

#4410 3 months ago

I have it set to 6° on the playfield.

This was project rebuild I got as a box of parts so I used the Pinball Life complete replacement flipper assemblies. I used them in my Black Knight have have been happy with how they feel.

#4411 3 months ago
Quoted from rwredmon:

As update: in my case the solution was simpler. The common bare wire that runs along the lamp bracket was touching the bracket in a couple of places. Hadn't paid enough attention to that when I reassembled the wiring harness. I had that issue in a couple of places once I double checked everything.

#4412 3 months ago

In using the replacement ramp (from starship fantasy), as others have noted it is a tight fit. The ramp comes beveled where the ramp flaps are attached so I didn't have to route or make any modifications to the playfield to make it fit. But I did have to make a few modifications to the ramp itself.

* For the right ramp (with the target), the ball is hitting the top edge of the ramp as it makes contact with the target. I'm carving out a bit of that top edge so the ball can cleanly hit the target (I noted my original ramp had this done as well).

* Had to remove some plastic to allow the ramp to fit round the left side of the spinner bracket (I noted my original ramp had this done as well).

* Had to trim the left corner of the right ramp flap slightly so it would fit flat next to the post

* The right rear ramp mounting post (based on new CPR playfield) just couldn't align with the existing hole in the ramp and plastic, so had to drill a nnew mounting hole

* There was one place where the screw hole for the plastics (CPR repros) didn't line up and I had to make a new hole

Happy with the results in the end and the much sturdier ramp, but at least in my experience the ramp does need some tweaking to make it work.

Randy

#4413 3 months ago

Sneak peek of my SS playfield swap. Nearly finished. My friend is doing the pf for me. I’ll restore the cab. Here is the underside getting the business. And our pop bumper choices. Going with red/white skirts/bodies. Considered black, blue and clear too. Should be finished later this month or next!

IMG_0689 (resized).jpegIMG_0689 (resized).jpegIMG_0690 (resized).jpegIMG_0690 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#4414 88 days ago

Heya gang. This one is more of a system 9 issue than a Space Shuttle. I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm getting a short across my GI. I tracked the short back to my transformer.
The symptom (short) occurs when I plug the yellow pair (6.3 volts) from the transformer (lugs 17 and 19) into the power board (pins 3J9.) This action shorts all the GI pairs of the pins on 3J8. I get continuity accross all of these pairs:
yellow/white yellow
violet/white violet
green/white green
brown/white brown
Unplug the transformer (3J9) to the power board and the short goes away.
I tested for continuity on the pair coming from the transformer (lug 17 and 19) and I get continuity. Not knowing jack about transformers, is this normal? Are these two wires shorted?
Can someone do me a solid and test their transformer on this pair for continuity?
I've read that transformers rarely go bad. I'm a little stumped. Also added some photos for clarity. Much thanks in advance.

20220705_201951 (resized).jpg20220705_201951 (resized).jpg20240121_155917 (resized).jpg20240121_155917 (resized).jpg

#4415 88 days ago

Can someone do me a solid and test their transformer on this pair for continuity? I jumped the pair at the board and there is continuity.

#4416 87 days ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Can someone do me a solid and test their transformer on this pair for continuity? I jumped the pair at the board and there is continuity.

Thanks for checking this @iamdrunker. When you plug the transformer pair back into your power board, do you get continuity accross the pairs on 3J8?

#4417 87 days ago
Quoted from Inferno:

Thanks for checking this @iamdrunker. When you plug the transformer pair back into your power board, do you get continuity accross the pairs on 3J8?

If you mean 3J9? then yes.

Screenshot 2024-01-26 161811 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-26 161811 (resized).png
#4418 86 days ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

If you mean 3J9? then yes.
[quoted image]

Thanks again for looking at your machine, the info is helpful. Here's the second part of my question:
With machine turned off, plug in 3J9 to the power board
After this action, do the pairs on 3J8 short? I'm going to guess on your machine, if everything is in working order, these pairs do not short.
I added a photo to show you where to place your continuity probes for the white violet and violet pair.
Other pairs to check are the white yellow and yellow/ white brown and brown / white green and green. These pairs are all GI and coin door inserts.
The issue I'm having, is that plugging in 3J9 shorts the pairs on 3J8 and blowing fuses. I'm wondering what's causing it, by comparing to a working machine. Still scratching my head.
Screenshot_20240126_204552_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240126_204552_Gallery (resized).jpg

#4419 86 days ago
Quoted from Inferno:

Thanks again for looking at your machine, the info is helpful.
With machine turned off plug in 3J9 to the power board
Do the pairs on 3J8 short? I'm going to guess on your machine, if everything is in working order, these pairs do not short.
I added a photo to show you where to place your continuity probes for the white violet and violet pair.
Other pairs to check are the white yellow and yellow/ white brown and brown / white green and green. These pairs are all GI and coin door inserts.[quoted image]

They DO short.

#4420 85 days ago

More progress!

IMG_2196 (resized).jpegIMG_2196 (resized).jpeg
#4421 85 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

More progress!
[quoted image]

She's a beauty!

#4422 85 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

More progress!
[quoted image]

Looks awesome! I’m going to do the same to mine; new playfield, posts, plastics, rubbers, etc.

1 week later
#4423 78 days ago
Quoted from Methos:

I am looking for a nice SS around the Chicago/Madison area.
Thanks.

Found.

1 week later
#4424 69 days ago

Hey guys, I'm looking in to buying a ss and wanted some input. I've attached a picture. Owner is 80 years old that claimed that has been owned by the same 2 people since new.
I wanted to show you guys a partial picture of the playfield. Tge whole playfield looks like that. I just zoomed in so that you guys see details.

Screenshot_20240212_204843_Messenger (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240212_204843_Messenger (resized).jpg
#4425 69 days ago

The playfield has been (poorly) clear coated with something. I don't doubt the person that sold it to the current owner told them it was 'like brand new'. It is certainly well used and that mystery clear coat will prevent you from ever properly restoring/clearing the playfield.

#4426 69 days ago
Quoted from gutz:

The playfield has been (poorly) clear coated with something. I don't doubt the person that sold it to the current owner told them it was 'like brand new'. It is certainly well used and that mystery clear coat will prevent you from ever properly restoring/clearing the playfield.

Thank you so much. I'm glad I posted here. Do you by chance, or anyone else have a picture of what an original unmolested playfield would look like?

#4427 69 days ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

Thank you so much. I'm glad I posted here. Do you by chance, or anyone else have a picture of what an original unmolested playfield would look like?

Like that but without the orange peel texture. Depending the price and how the area around the bonus ladder looked I would still consider that one. 95% of all original Space Shuttle playfields have heavy wear.

#4428 69 days ago

In addition to the unwanted orange peel texture, the perimeter of the inserts shouldn't be cratered.

#4429 69 days ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

Hey guys, I'm looking in to buying a ss and wanted some input. I've attached a picture. Owner is 80 years old that claimed that has been owned by the same 2 people since new.
I wanted to show you guys a partial picture of the playfield. Tge whole playfield looks like that. I just zoomed in so that you guys see details.
[quoted image]

There are certainly worse SS playfields than this one. In addition to questions about condition, value is another factor. How much is he asking? How are the cabinet and boards, and how does it play? You could remove the glass and feel that surface. If it’s pretty bumpy and has a texture from whatever was done to it, it could be an issue. If it feels fairly smooth and doesn’t bother you, it could be fine if the price is right. Others who have experience with clear coating playfields could weigh in. I don’t know if sanding or wet sanding that surface and re-applying new clear coat is possible or not. It may not be. But if the price is right and it’s a player, there are lots of rough SS playfields out there that play fine. I think they make a hardtop for SS too, for maybe $250-300, if you wanted a smooth surface but not the cost of a new pf.

#4430 69 days ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

There are certainly worse SS playfields than this one. In addition to questions about condition, value is another factor. How much is he asking? How are the cabinet and boards, and how does it play? You could remove the glass and feel that surface. If it’s pretty bumpy and has a texture from whatever was done to it, it could be an issue. If it feels fairly smooth and doesn’t bother you, it could be fine if the price is right. Others who have experience with clear coating playfields could weigh in. I don’t know if sanding or wet sanding that surface and re-applying new clear coat is possible or not. It may not be. But if the price is right and it’s a player, there are lots of rough SS playfields out there that play fine. I think they make a hardtop for SS too, for maybe $250-300, if you wanted a smooth surface but not the cost of a new pf.

He is asking 3500. Which I know is a bit high. They are usually for sale in shows under 3k.

#4431 69 days ago
received_3830051403948431 (resized).jpegreceived_3830051403948431 (resized).jpegreceived_390396516811457 (resized).jpegreceived_390396516811457 (resized).jpeg
#4432 69 days ago

Looks like someone just shot the PF with clear and left it dry.

#4433 69 days ago

I agree with Pinkitten here. There are both hardtops and new repro playfields available for Space Shuttle fortunately, so keep that in mind. $3500 does seem high. If you can, post more pictures of the playfield, boards, cabinet, etc.

#4434 69 days ago
Quoted from interconnect:

I agree with Pinkitten here. There are both hardtops and new repro playfields available for Space Shuttle fortunately, so keep that in mind. $3500 does seem high. If you can, post more pictures of the playfield, boards, cabinet, etc.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

Cabinet was pretty solid. It's supposed to be all original cabinet. I inspected closely and it didn't have any touch up and you could tell it was unmolested. Aside from a few surface scratches but definitely no repairs or repainted. Inside cab was nice and clean. Boards looked nice with no damage. All Williams warranty stickers were visible. I did forget to take pictures. Planning on going again to visit. He is not too far from me. I have to working more, he was pretty firm.
I have to say it did play really good. Rolled rolled pretty smoothly. Slings nice and string. All original boards and displays. Displays still had all the williams decals on then.

1 week later
#4435 62 days ago

Hey guys, don't know if this has been discussed before. Is everyone using 28.5 inch legs? picking up a shuttle over the weekend, wanted to see what size legs would match my other pins. LOTR/ JP premium thanks in advance

#4436 62 days ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

Hey guys, don't know if this has been discussed before. Is everyone using 28.5 inch legs? picking up a shuttle over the weekend, wanted to see what size legs would match my other pins. LOTR/ JP premium thanks in advance

People wanting pins from different manufactures and eras to match is something I'll never understand.

No, the cabinet is going to be different, irregardless of leg length.

#4437 62 days ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

Yes. 28.5" legs are the standard length for Williams System 9 games.

#4438 62 days ago

People wanting pins from different manufactures and eras to match is something I'll never understand.
No, the cabinet is going to be different, irregardless of leg length.

Just referring to the flipper height that's all. I know it won't be the same. I know iflve played games before that flipper sit so high up.

#4439 62 days ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

[quoted image]

Things to keep in mind. You can buy a new playfield for 900 and probably sell yours for 300 with a net difference of 600. Do the swap yourself and you have a collector quality space shuttle worth 5k and up. If cabinet is nice it saves you on decal or stencils. If mpu is nice it saves 450.00 for a new one. If other electronics and displays are good it saves. I would much rather have a new cpr playfield than a perfect nos original because of the yellowing and muddy colors. The new Cpr is slick, fast , and fabulous. Any game with a new playfield is easy to resale.

IMG_8934 (resized).jpegIMG_8934 (resized).jpeg

#4440 60 days ago

New playfield installed by my friend and reportedly plays fast and furious. I’ll post a couple more pics when it’s home and the cab is finished!

IMG_5036 (resized).jpegIMG_5036 (resized).jpeg
#4441 60 days ago

Also, for anyone doing a swap or restoration, you can order a new set of wood rails for SS (and other titles) in a variety of colors and finishes. I chose black lacquer. They arrived pretty quickly (they are made to order and take a few days) and couldn’t be nicer. Pinsider IBIS makes them. Here is a pic of the rails.

IMG_5037 (resized).pngIMG_5037 (resized).pngIMG_5038 (resized).jpegIMG_5038 (resized).jpeg
#4442 60 days ago

Looks really awesome!! The new playfield is gorgeous.

#4443 58 days ago

I’m super excited to finally have my Space Shuttle.
Found this and it was a little beat up so I had it shopped by Bob Phillips Restoration and also put a new hard top on it. The game plays flawlessly! A keeper for sure!

IMG_8283 (resized).jpegIMG_8283 (resized).jpegIMG_8282 (resized).jpegIMG_8282 (resized).jpeg

#4444 58 days ago

I’m super excited to finally have my Space Shuttle.
Found this and it was a little beat up so I had it shopped by Bob Phillips Restoration and also put a new hard top on it. The game plays flawlessly! A keeper for sure!

#4445 58 days ago

Picked this one up earlier today. Mostly original with some light touch ups.

20240224_151155 (resized).jpg20240224_151155 (resized).jpg20240224_151201 (resized).jpg20240224_151201 (resized).jpg20240224_151210 (resized).jpg20240224_151210 (resized).jpg20240224_151220 (resized).jpg20240224_151220 (resized).jpg20240224_151230 (resized).jpg20240224_151230 (resized).jpg20240224_151254 (resized).jpg20240224_151254 (resized).jpg20240224_151259 (resized).jpg20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
#4446 58 days ago
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
#4447 57 days ago

Wow, what a great survivor! Looks really nice.

#4448 52 days ago

What doesn't belong here?
Why did they stop including it?

p1020715 (resized).jpgp1020715 (resized).jpg
#4449 52 days ago

coin return door?

#4450 52 days ago

People would get their fingers cut when trying to get money out of the machine. You see that a lot on other machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,492 posts in this topic. You are on page 89 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/89?hl=interconnect and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.