(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 15 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 90.
#4151 1 year ago

I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up one of the @goingincircle speaker plate covers a couple years ago. Just want to go on record as saying this is a great addition to a great title! Love mine

20220220_094424-ANIMATION (resized).png20220220_094424-ANIMATION (resized).pngIMG_20220213_160815524_BURST053 (resized).jpgIMG_20220213_160815524_BURST053 (resized).jpg
#4152 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

Great idea !
Somebody knows if there was several version of the bell assembly and tilts on Space Shuttle? On mine, bell is missing (there is a disconnected knocker) and it looks really strange. The wood plate seems to be too short, and the tilts (pendulum disconnected) are differents.
There is no hole in the cabinet to proof that there was the biggest white wood support in the past.
Maybe the cabinet has been replaced.
[quoted image]

kryss63 I'm in the same situation..
I've already noticed some differences with other Space Shuttle (see my post #4127), maybe due to production changing. I've always think the tilt panel has been changed by the previous owner together both the trafos.. but if you have the same panel, the same configuration, no holes or remaining old staples.. I'm believing that's from factory. I missing the knocker and.. what about bell? Is an important feature in this machines.
Could be the last machines in production (wms didn't have pieces using what they had disposable) or modify for the export machine?!?
I'm really courious..
Ciaooo
IMG_20230121_132129 (resized).jpgIMG_20230121_132129 (resized).jpg

#4153 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

kryss63 Je suis dans le même cas..
J'ai déjà remarqué quelques différences avec d'autres navettes spatiales (voir mon post #4127), peut-être dues à des changements de production. J'ai toujours pensé que le panneau inclinable avait été changé par l'ancien propriétaire avec les trafos.. mais si vous avez le même panneau, la même configuration, pas de trous ou d'anciennes agrafes restantes.. Je pense que c'est de l'usine. Il me manque le heurtoir et... qu'en est-il de la cloche ? Est une caractéristique importante de ces machines.
Pourrait être les dernières machines en production (wms n'avait pas de pièces utilisant ce qu'ils avaient de jetable) ou modifier pour la machine d'exportation ?!?
Je suis vraiment courageuse..
Ciaooo
[quoted image]

Really interesting. Your are in Italy isn't it ?
Does your Space Shuttle originally comes from Italia ?

I have bought my My Space Shuttle in France (to a french guy) but it seems to come from Italia because there is some Italian text on some parts.

My knocker is not an original coil so I don't know if there was originally a knocker or a bell or nothing or something else.

I will check the voltage on the knocker to try to understand.

I keep you informed.

NB: I have move the sound level button, but originally it was at the same place like yours.

#4154 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

Really interesting. Your are in Italy isn't it ?
Does your Space Shuttle originally comes from Italia ?
I have bought my My Space Shuttle in France (to a french guy) but it seems to come from Italia because there is some Italian text on some parts.
My knocker is not an original coil so I don't know if there was originally a knocker or a bell or nothing or something else.
I will check the voltage on the knocker to try to understand.
I keep you informed.
NB: I have move the sound level button, but originally it was at the same place like yours.

Ciao! I don't know where it comes from. I bought it from a guy that owns it for many years in the basement.
A friend of mine has another SS ready to be restored (it caught fire ), with the internal "white" tilt board. Another interesting point is the same coin door, the rounded one instead the classic with inox frame. But all the features noticed in my post (flat light panel, no lower profile in the speaker panel, different backbox panel and ground path...)
So mine is missing of bell or/and knoker... and I'm not able to understand why...

#4155 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Gooood morning guys! Finally, after years of searching... I'm joined the club! I recently purchased my Space Shuttle..
Of course it needs some attentions. I'm started to fix electronics and now it boots and all the display are 100% working. It seems all perfect BUT there are some things that do not convince me and looking at your pictures or pics of other Space Shuttles, I notice substantial differences...
Unfortunately mine has two non-original trafo and therefore the main wiring has been modified... but it works.
So, this is what I noticed:
1) Ground wire path. In mine, starts on the left side of the backbox, it goes up, crosses the whole backbox (above, behind the metal panel for the air vent) and return down on the right side. From the pictures, it should come down form behind the PCB panel... and I don't have any staples signs to be able to say that it was modified later. I also have to chech the path under the playfield, but one thing at a time.
2) Backbox metal sheet (where the boards are fixed) that has screws and not threaded spacers. It means that it doesn't lay well on the backbox due to the screws head, and I think it will not intercept the ground wire (see point No.1)
3) Backbox light panel. In mine I have an additional MDF panel glued on the main one.
4) Speaker panel. Some has the metal profile also on the bottom side. Mine has only the one for receive the glass.
5) Coin door... but it has the original WMS stickers inside
My questions about ground wire are born because the hum is very very very loud so I though was a problem about correct grounding...
So let me have your opinions about it... I'm really courious!!! And I want to restore everything to how it should have been originally!
Thanks!!!
EDIT! Looking at the light panel, even the flashers area is quite different...

1) on mine also.
2) not check behind the metal sheet.
3) on mine also.
4) On mine also isn't it ?
5) same coin door like you

An other common point, the loud noise coming from speaker and highly amplified with the subwoofer. No change at all after changing some capacitors, screw harder some screws,... I thought it was due to the transfo without any metal covering... but maybe the ground wiring is strange...

Mine is a model with the wide backbox. And yours ?

NB: the big black button on the right of the coin door is a personnal mod, for the sound level.

20230123_194850 (resized).jpg20230123_194850 (resized).jpg20230123_194905 (resized).jpg20230123_194905 (resized).jpg20230123_194930 (resized).jpg20230123_194930 (resized).jpg20230123_195016 (resized).jpg20230123_195016 (resized).jpg20230123_195046 (resized).jpg20230123_195046 (resized).jpg
#4156 1 year ago

On yours, could it be the wires for the bell just here ?
I'm really surprised to find an other Space Shuttle like mine...
Bells were forbidden in Italia ?

Screenshot_20230124-095314_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230124-095314_Chrome (resized).jpg
#4157 1 year ago

Mine is missing the bell too. The wires are left there just like that. Operators hated the bells because they were so noisy and would disconnect them.

#4158 1 year ago

Mine has no knocker. When a game is won, the bell rings 3 or 4 times. If there was a knocker version, wouldn't it need different firmware to knock the knocker? When you are awarded a game, does the knocker knock?

#4159 1 year ago

Whoo-Hoo! Larry at starship fantasy has the clear ramps available again. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ramps-by-starship-fantasy/page/15#post-7371165

#4160 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Finally had the chance today to install the new center drop Target designed to reduce the air balls to the outlane. I needed to do a little prep work to the new drop Target but nothing major, less than 5 minutes with the Dremel tool and to drill a couple pilot holes for some screws. The print is a little large on the top (back side of Target) I was able to remove about an eighth of an inch of material with a Dremel tool for a perfect fit. Full disclosure, my shuttle is hardtoped so it may just be that that Gap was a little smaller because of the hardtop. Overall I would recommend these to anyone who's thinking about it. They're a game changer, after about a dozen plays of attempting nothing but center shots I'm happy to report not one of them was a death shot. I thought I had a spare satellite sticker but no dice,so now to track down one of those.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Apinjunkie Where did you get these drop targets? Were they the printed ones from Krys? Did you print them yourself? How did they hold up? If they held up well and you printed, would you be able to print and send me a couple?

#4161 1 year ago
Quoted from justler:

Apinjunkie Where did you get these drop targets? Were they the printed ones from Krys? Did you print them yourself? How did they hold up? If they held up well and you printed, would you be able to print and send me a couple?

I sent the file to Apinjunkie and he printed the part in US. I can send you the file if you know how to print near you. For me, at home, it works like the original target but without air ball and glass shot.
Apinjunkie explained on a post that, on his machine, he need to modify and adapt a little bit the target. Maybe cause of the hardtop.

My target is in standard PLA, and no break at all, it works very well.

#4162 1 year ago
Quoted from KenH:

Mine has no knocker. When a game is won, the bell rings 3 or 4 times. If there was a knocker version, wouldn't it need different firmware to knock the knocker? When you are awarded a game, does the knocker knock?

No idea, my knocker is disconnected, I don't know why.
And it's not an original Williams coil.
I have to check the voltage on the wires.
If there is voltage, I will connect the knocker and test.

The very interessant thing is that there is 2 machines with exactly the same mods... so the question is to know if it's a mod or not.

#4163 1 year ago

Everyone do yourself a favor and get this freaking ramp. It's amazing. Visually opens everything up!

#4164 1 year ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Everyone do yourself a favor and get this freaking ramp. It's amazing. Visually opens everything up!

I wrote to Larry for a black one but he didn't answer to me yet...
The playfield needs to be adapted in a certain way? The original ramp has three holes for fixing while the repro has only two...

#4165 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

The very interessant thing is that there is 2 machines with exactly the same mods... so the question is to know if it's a mod or not.

So my machine has the backbox like yours, 23 cm depth. A friend of mine is 18,5 cm and the pinball is completely different (the "other" version). I didn't know about this difference...
In the next days I will continue with cab cleaning so I can check if cabling is complete or someone cut something. We'll keep in touch...

#4166 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

I wrote to Larry for a black one but he didn't answer to me yet...
The playfield needs to be adapted in a certain way? The original ramp has three holes for fixing while the repro has only two...

Order the black ramps off the website.

#4167 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

I sent the file to Apinjunkie and he printed the part in US. I can send you the file if you know how to print near you. For me, at home, it works like the original target but without air ball and glass shot.
Apinjunkie explained on a post that, on his machine, he need to modify and adapt a little bit the target. Maybe cause of the hardtop.
My target is in standard PLA, and no break at all, it works very well.

kryss63 If you could send me the file that would be wonderful. I can get it printed locally. Thank you for making this!

#4168 1 year ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Order the black ramps off the website.

Where? I mailed him off the website. Is there any other source?

#4169 1 year ago
Quoted from misterhare:

why so you can look at the unpainted areas? Yeah! ugh.

#4170 1 year ago
Quoted from justler:

I see you found the source, I can testify that they do hold up very well. You still get the occasional, straight to the left outlane bounce but it is maybe one in 25 hits versus 5 out of 10 with the old drop Target. I don't have a 3D printer so I forwarded the file to planetary pinball. Andy is a fellow shuttle head and had no problem printing a drop for me.

#4171 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

why so you can look at the unpainted areas? Yeah! ugh.

I think you could do some stuff with the unpainted areas. What I like is that you would be able to see through the area that covers the shooter lane. My rails are painted blue and I think it would look better if I could see the entire length of the shooter lane.

The last time the clear ones were run, I ordered a black one for my self and a clear one for my friend. I regret not keeping the clear one.

#4172 1 year ago

Your patience paid off Apinjunkie !
346216C7-B633-4E3F-BD48-537170E2F11F (resized).jpeg346216C7-B633-4E3F-BD48-537170E2F11F (resized).jpeg

#4173 1 year ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Your patience paid off Apinjunkie !
[quoted image]

You would think, however in the years that have passed I have decided to go a different direction with my shuttle and I'm now quite content with the black ramps. That said, I do think they bring a lot to this game and I'm glad they are available for the rest of the community. Go figure.

#4174 1 year ago

Maybe if someone comes up with a playfield decal that goes under the ramp and a light under there that goes off with the switch trigger. It would be cool.

#4175 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Maybe if someone comes up with a playfield decal that goes under the ramp and a light under there that goes off with the switch trigger. It would be cool.

That would be cool. Come on you nerds. you can do it.

#4176 1 year ago
Quoted from Theonlylilo:

Where? I mailed him off the website. Is there any other source?

I see the confusion. Larry just told me to buy a black one off the website and he will ship a clear one. And that's just what I did. So maybe he is out of black ramps?

#4177 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I like that idea. Yeah someone I’m sure can come up with a cool idea. Maybe a include a hidden monolith like on Space Station; they can match.

#4178 1 year ago

I'm working on a restoration now. I had my own speaker cover made. I've got two more if anyone has interest!

Only real mods here are the cover, and I also changed the inserts from white to clear before the hardtop

Cheers!

20230129_094843 (resized).jpg20230129_094843 (resized).jpg

#4179 1 year ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

Only real mods here are the cover, and I also changed the inserts from white to clear before the hardtop

And clear posts, clear pop bumper parts, translucent rubbers...

Nice choices, similar to what I did.

#4180 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

I confirm that there is voltage. The knocker works.
For sure, a bell will be better because I hear some difference on the power supply duration.
For exemple
* when you go through the Shuttle, short duration: Knocker : TAC !...(toc)
Bell will do : dring dring !

* when you earn an extra ball, long duration:
Knocker : TAC !...............(toc)
Bell will do: dring dring dring dring !

So I don't know where the original bell was originally located in my strange cabinet but I will put one.

#4181 1 year ago

Anyone know the size/thread pitch of the screw that goes in the top of these posts? It's not 6-32 fine thread from what I have tried. #6 seems the right size, but the thread pitch seems off. I also tried a 6-24. Any ideas? Is it not fine thread?

There's this one, one below the right ball lock area that supports the end of the ball ramp return to the playfield and the tallest in the very back right corner of the playfield under the ramp.

IMG_6142 (resized).JPGIMG_6142 (resized).JPG

#4182 1 year ago
Quoted from justler:

Anyone know the size/thread pitch of the screw that goes in the top of these posts? It's not 6-32 fine thread from what I have tried. #6 seems the right size, but the thread pitch seems off. I also tried a 6-24. Any ideas? Is it not fine thread?
There's this one, one below the right ball lock area that supports the end of the ball ramp return to the playfield and the tallest in the very back right corner of the playfield under the ramp.
[quoted image]

I had to re-tap mine as it had a wood screw type screw forced into it. I think it was 6-32

#4183 1 year ago
Quoted from justler:

Anyone know the size/thread pitch of the screw that goes in the top of these posts?

Mine had a wood screw in it. It was a short, black screw with wood threads.

#4184 1 year ago

Sounds like i'm off to get a tap and die set for 6-32 or 8-32! Thanks guys.

#4185 1 year ago
Quoted from justler:

Sounds like i'm off to get a tap and die set for 6-32 or 8-32! Thanks guys.

I have removed the glass and the screw for you, but here we are in metric system.
Diameter 3.4mm and length near 9mm.
Hope it helps.

20230201_190106 (resized).jpg20230201_190106 (resized).jpg20230201_190349 (resized).jpg20230201_190349 (resized).jpg
#4186 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

I have removed the glass and the screw for you, but here we are in metric system.
Diameter 3.4mm and length near 9mm.
Hope it helps.[quoted image][quoted image]

thanks for posting. I ended up buying a tap and die and retapping to 6-32.

#4187 1 year ago

Was looking into doing a full restoration on my shuttle. Going to repaint the cabinet a nice metallic blue. However I don’t see anyone selling drop targets for either the 3 bank or single target. Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Thank you.

#4188 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Was looking into doing a full restoration on my shuttle. Going to repaint the cabinet a nice metallic blue. However I don’t see anyone selling drop targets for either the 3 bank or single target. Can anyone point me into the right direction?
Thank you.

Drop targets are most likely NLA.
Have to have someone 3D print the parts you need.

#4189 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Thank you.

Drop targets are pretty standard. I think the space station ones work

#4190 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Drop targets are pretty standard. I think the space station ones work

Just looked at my machine space shuttles targets are red, space station are black! DOH.

#4191 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Thank you.

Any reason to replace yours? All you really see is the decal applied. I don’t think I’ve ever had one break.

#4192 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

I think the space station ones work

They're different. Space Shuttle uses the T base targets (03-7478), which are not available from Marco anymore. Not sure where to get them now.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7478

#4194 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/107941

Hello , space shuttle is my favorite game. I currently have a nicer players Condition .

I am looking to buy a fully restored space shuttle.

Please let me know if you have one that you might want to sell. I’m happy to pay for quality.

I’m happy to trade my current game towards a restored one as well.

Thank you for reading my post .

#4195 1 year ago

Those look like the 'horseshoe' style which Space Shuttle does not use, so I don't know if those are compatible. Although they cross-reference the other part no., so maybe they are interchangeable? IDK, I've never tried those in Space Shuttle.

#4196 1 year ago
Quoted from pindel:

Any reason to replace yours? All you really see is the decal applied. I don’t think I’ve ever had one break.

Ther is nothing wrong with them, was just thinking of replacing with new if possible during my restoration.

Still debating on replacing the playfield or not when I redo the cabinet. Playfield is fine, I assume it had an overlay and then clear coated many many years ago, it is just yellowed over the years compared to a new playfield. Game plays perfect. Maybe I’m crazy. I don’t know. What is the opinion here to replace this playfield ?

83060949-FEB9-4071-8D85-5A967FC0693D (resized).jpeg83060949-FEB9-4071-8D85-5A967FC0693D (resized).jpeg
#4197 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Ther is nothing wrong with them, was just thinking of replacing with new if possible during my restoration.
Still debating on replacing the playfield or not when I redo the cabinet. Playfield is fine, I assume it had an overlay and then clear coated many many years ago, it is just yellowed over the years compared to a new playfield. Game plays perfect. Maybe I’m crazy. I don’t know. What is the opinion here to replace this playfield ?
[quoted image]

Do you want to buy more pins?

#4198 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Do you want to buy more pins?

As long as I have the space to play or restore them, always.

#4199 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

[quoted image]

That’s real nice original! I’d keep it how it is, no need to replace.

#4200 1 year ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

As long as I have the space to play or restore them, always.

I would keep it the way it is and use the money to buy more pins..lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.