(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 90.
#4001 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Your gate might just be sticking, the vibration from The flipper is enough to let it loose.

That's what I thought, however it doesn't appear to have a mechanical bind. When I let the ball drain, the gate closes automatically, but when I drop the three targets there is a tiny bit of resistance there. If I just pull on the gate ever so slightly, it'll open up and if I manually open and close it and is smooth with no binding or sticking. Really weird. I've uploaded a video to YouTube to show what I mean:

#4002 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

That's what I thought, however it doesn't appear to have a mechanical bind. When I let the ball drain, the gate closes automatically, but when I drop the three targets there is a tiny bit of resistance there. If I just pull on the gate ever so slightly, it'll open up and if I manually open and close it and is smooth with no binding or sticking. Really weird. I've uploaded a video to YouTube to show what I mean:

It's a little weird, but that's the shuttle for you. I would check the assembly underneath, see if there is any wear marks where maybe it's getting hung up. Maybe see if you can tighten up that spring if need be.

Screenshot_20220627-002731 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220627-002731 (resized).png
#4003 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

It's a little weird, but that's the shuttle for you. I would check the assembly underneath, see if there is any wear marks where maybe it's getting hung up. Maybe see if you can tighten up that spring if need be.[quoted image]

Good idea. I will check that. The spring may have jug weakened over time. Also, the coil has been replaced by the previous owner, I’m going to check to make sure that is correct while I’m at it. Is there a way to tighten up a spring without necessarily replacing it?

#4004 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Your gate might just be sticking, the vibration from The flipper is enough to let it loose.

That's perfectly right.

I had the same issue with my gate some months ago.
I cleaned all the moving parts and now it's ok without using the right flipper.

#4005 1 year ago
Quoted from kryss63:

That's perfectly right.
I had the same issue with my gate some months ago.
I cleaned all the moving parts and now it's ok without using the right flipper.

I actually cleaned and rebuilt it all up when I got the game in January and has been doing it since, so I don’t think it’s dirty. May be the bushing or the spring. Going to replace both and clean and rebuild and see what happens.

#4006 1 year ago

Turns out it was in fact the spring. I was able to tweak it a bit to make it a bit tighter. The reason why it was “sticking”, despite no mechanical bind, was I think there’s some residual magnetism in the coil mech and the spring couldn’t defeat it. I ordered a replacement spring anyhow and a new bushing and going to clean and rebuild the whole gate for good measure.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

1 week later
#4007 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Here's an added benefit of clear pop bumper skirts. So we all get it's essential that the tip of the skirt be dead center of the spoon, to get the most out of your pops. That can often be difficult to tell even if your nose is pressed right up next to it. With the clear skirts, if you backlight them they act like a big fiber optic, carrying the light right to the tip,which in turn ,points like a spotlight right through the spoon taking the guesswork out of where that tip is actually touching.
Pic shows tip is hare to the right[quoted image]

Here's a fun fact that relates to the clear skirts.

#4008 1 year ago

Back in the club! 3rd times a charm. Project game. Backglass is basically a piece of glass with 10% art remaining. Look forward to catching up on 80+ pages of content!

6ED079CA-553B-4EB8-9E50-5514C9951A0F (resized).jpeg6ED079CA-553B-4EB8-9E50-5514C9951A0F (resized).jpeg
#4009 1 year ago

Picked up my project space shuttle 6 months ago, cosmetically it is beautiful now, all the usual stuff done with new playfield and all......stumped by some switch issues at the moment, just can't figure it out

3 weeks later
#4010 1 year ago

Space Shuttle is my first Williams System 9 game. Quick question about rebuilding the pop bumpers: what is the proper adjustment of the SCORING SWITCH on each pop bumper? Should the scoring switch close when the solenoid armature moves a little… or when it moves a lot?

#4011 1 year ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Space Shuttle is my first Williams System 9 game. Quick question about rebuilding the pop bumpers: what is the proper adjustment of the SCORING SWITCH on each pop bumper? Should the scoring switch close when the solenoid armature moves a little… or when it moves a lot?

When the pop pops its going to move all the way so as long as the switch closes when it pulls in you'll be good.

#4012 1 year ago

Hey guys, having an annoying issue with my drop targets, when you strafe all three sometimes they jump and/or trigger multiple times. Adjusted the switches and reflowed solder, no dice. Any suggestions?

#4013 1 year ago

Replace the coil sleeves
And a good cleaning.

#4014 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_spidey:

Replace the coil sleeves
And a good cleaning.

There's only one coil here, with a plate that lifts the targets back up. The whole mech (drop targets, coil, switches) looks pretty clean and everything operates smoothly with no resistance, so it may not be mechanical. I'll do some additional cleaning anyway, but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this and/or has other suggestions?

Might start another thread just to ping other non-shuttle-owner techie types involved too. Hoping to get this resolved before the weekend if I can. Might order replacement switches in the meantime.

#4015 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

There's only one coil here, with a plate that lifts the targets back up. The whole mech (drop targets, coil, switches) looks pretty clean and everything operates smoothly with no resistance, so it may not be mechanical. I'll do some additional cleaning anyway, but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this and/or has other suggestions?
Might start another thread just to ping other non-shuttle-owner techie types involved too. Hoping to get this resolved before the weekend if I can. Might order replacement switches in the meantime.

It kinda seems like a mechanical issue of the targets are not latching in the up position but when you bumped the back target and it reset right away (shouldn't do that) it tells me switch adjustment issue.

#4016 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

It kinda seems like a mechanical issue of the targets are not latching in the up position but when you bumped the back target and it reset right away (shouldn't do that) it tells me switch adjustment issue.

Yeah that threw me too (the back target resetting on its own), as it usually doesn't do that. I've got new switches on order but will tinker with them in the meantime.

#4017 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yeah that threw me too (the back target resetting on its own), as it usually doesn't do that. I've got new switches on order but will tinker with them in the meantime.

I can't rememver is there is an end of stroke switch on that or not, but watching the video in 1/4 speed its apparent that the targets are only getting half of the way up when they drop again and get sent back up. It's like the power to the coil is being interrupted like an EOS switch is being opened too soon. If there is not an EOS (i've been working on a lot of EMs lately so there very well may not be one here) then I would look at wiring to the coil, you may have a nearly broken wire that is loosing contact when the coil shakes. Or its possible the driver on the board is half dying and flaking out when the coil is drawing full juice.

Let us know what you find out.

#4018 1 year ago

I can't rememver is there is an end of stroke switch on that or not, but watching the video in 1/4 speed its apparent that the targets are only getting half of the way up when they drop again and get sent back up. It's like the power to the coil is being interrupted like an EOS switch is being opened too soon. If there is not an EOS (i've been working on a lot of EMs lately so there very well may not be one here) then I would look at wiring to the coil, you may have a nearly broken wire that is loosing contact when the coil shakes. Or its possible the driver on the board is half dying and flaking out when the coil is drawing full juice.

That's a really great observation! If power were interrupted, the coil would stop pushing the bank up, and so the targets would get pulled back down by their springs, which would trigger the switches again, telling the game to fire the coil again. So this is definitely a plausible explanation. (There is no EOS switch for the reset bracket, btw.) In my troubleshooting I had reflowed the solder on the switches, but not the coil. I'll look more closely at the coil wires and resolder and get back to you.

#4019 1 year ago

Quoted from SkyKing2301:

That's a really great observation! If power were interrupted, the coil would stop pushing the bank up, and so the targets would get pulled back down by their springs, which would trigger the switches again, telling the game to fire the coil again. So this is definitely a plausible explanation. (There is no EOS switch for the reset bracket, btw.) In my troubleshooting I had reflowed the solder on the switches, but not the coil. I'll look more closely at the coil wires and resolder and get back to you.

Cautiously optimistic update: I reflowed the solder on the coil lugs and it's definitely working much more reliably. I then had a few incidences (when testnig them one at a time) where one particular target (the left one) didn't seem to register or seemed to have a 'delay', so I made an adjustment to that switch and it appears to be behaving properly for now.

After that, I went through several cycles of strafing them 10+ times and they responded properyl each time. Also ran several cycles (in all possible orders) of one at a time, and they're behaving properly also. I'll put several games on it later tonight, to give it a full shakedown, and will report back again.

Great eyes, Charles_Kline !

#4020 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Cautiously optimistic update: I reflowed the solder on the coil lugs and it's definitely working much more reliably. I then had a few incidences (when testnig them one at a time) where one particular target (the left one) didn't seem to register or seemed to have a 'delay', so I made an adjustment to that switch and it appears to be behaving properly for now.
After that, I went through several cycles of strafing them 10+ times and they responded properyl each time. Also ran several cycles (in all possible orders) of one at a time, and they're behaving properly also. I'll put several games on it later tonight, to give it a full shakedown, and will report back again.
Great eyes, Charles_Kline !

Played several games on it tonight and had zero issues with the drop targets. No stutters, value increasing one step at a time, resetting properly when strafed or when hit one at a time. I'll play a few more times over the next couple days just to be sure, but it's looking like we got this one sorted out!

Thanks so much for the help -- that was a great catch and another useful experience to file away in the ol' memory bank!

#4021 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Played several games on it tonight and had zero issues with the drop targets. No stutters, value increasing one step at a time, resetting properly when strafed or when hit one at a time. I'll play a few more times over the next couple days just to be sure, but it's looking like we got this one sorted out!
Thanks so much for the help -- that was a great catch and another useful experience to file away in the ol' memory bank!

That's awesome, Happy to help!

#4022 1 year ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Hey guys, having an annoying issue with my drop targets, when you strafe all three sometimes they jump and/or trigger multiple times. Adjusted the switches and reflowed solder, no dice. Any suggestions?

I have this exact same problem intermittently on my pinbot drop target bank and taxi Lola drop. Let me know if you find a definitive solution. Thanks!

#4023 1 year ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I have this exact same problem intermittently on my pinbot drop target bank and taxi Lola drop. Let me know if you find a definitive solution. Thanks!

Reflowing the solder on the reset coil lugs seemed to do it -- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/drop-target-bank-reset-stutters-repeats-1984-space-shuttle

#4024 1 year ago

Thanks! I'm going to do this.

#4025 1 year ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Thanks! I'm going to do this.

Lmk how it goes. The issue resurfaced after a long day of heavy play (hosted tournament), but thoroughly reflowing (and adding a little extra for good measure) seemed to eliminate it again. Inspected all the other shared ground wire connections too (double red wires) just in case one of those was loose and possibly contributing but didn't find any issues.

#4026 1 year ago

I have a question. I just did a flipper rebuild. I noticed the lane change isn't working. Does that switch come from the right flipper or the button? Not sure what could have changed?

#4027 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I have a question. I just did a flipper rebuild. I noticed the lane change isn't working. Does that switch come from the right flipper or the button? Not sure what could have changed?

There's a second switch adjacent to the right flipper's EOS switch. That second switch -- closed simultaneously when the EOS switch is opened -- is what triggers the lane change. Check your wiring & diode there. My lane change stopped working once and turned out the diode on that switch had come loose.

16606255196844287511073561252271 (resized).jpg16606255196844287511073561252271 (resized).jpg
#4028 1 year ago

Thank you! I am going back tonight to work on it. One more question. It played fine but after I took the balls out to look at the lane change switch it stopped recognizing the balls. I may have bumped something under the playfield near the trough. I'm thinking its that switch that kicks the ball over in the trough but not sure where to look. It won't start a game till it does. I was so close.

2 weeks later
#4029 1 year ago

Slideshow of my Space Shuttle restoration…

#4030 1 year ago

I agree, the mirror has the look like “chrome” spray paint and not perfect mirror.

I recently picked up a Shuttle glass from Shay and it's beautifully mirrored and looks great. I've never seen a CPR up close but the Shay is mirrored for sure.

2 weeks later
#4031 1 year ago
Quoted from Chisel:

I recently picked up a Shuttle glass from Shay and it's beautifully mirrored and looks great. I've never seen a CPR up close but the Shay is mirrored for sure.

The CPR is bad. When I shine a light on it on only appears mirrored because of the shine of the glass. It looks like matte spray paint with no lights on it.

023B500F-4CB8-4950-91F4-5A12532140BB (resized).jpeg023B500F-4CB8-4950-91F4-5A12532140BB (resized).jpeg
#4032 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

The CPR is bad. When I shine a light on it on only appears mirrored because of the shine of the glass. It looks like matte spray paint with no lights on it.
[quoted image]

The other thing I don't like about the CPR one is how thick the paint is. #47 buibs on the word lights across the bottom don't shine though enough to make them readable. I had to use LEDs down there for them to be readable (ew)

#4033 1 year ago

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone can make the topper feet/stand for a reasonable price with lettermail shipping to me in Canada? The ones on Ebay to display the topper are crazy expensive. It’s annoying CPR doesn’t include them with their plastics set. Thanks

1F576711-5D5D-4B01-9896-92F4CC0EFB0E (resized).jpeg1F576711-5D5D-4B01-9896-92F4CC0EFB0E (resized).jpeg99455CA6-3002-4C30-94A4-3F42A7D74A0F (resized).jpeg99455CA6-3002-4C30-94A4-3F42A7D74A0F (resized).jpeg
#4034 1 year ago
Quoted from newovad:

[quoted image]

Here’s my Shay.

25FB706F-6C5A-4821-AC4A-42D2F73CD1CE (resized).jpeg25FB706F-6C5A-4821-AC4A-42D2F73CD1CE (resized).jpeg
#4035 1 year ago
Quoted from Chisel:

Here’s my Shay. [quoted image]

Shay looks the best of what I've seen so far. Still haven't figured out if the glass from PPS or Marco is mirrored or who it's made by.

#4036 1 year ago

Anyone have a half decent usable shuttle toy they could sell me cheap? Maybe you replaced your discolored one? I'm not ready for a new one, I want to do a hard top first and mine is now broken where the wire form rests... I'll buy a new one eventually but would like to get by for now. I guess I can always gorilla glue some fix on there with a piece of plastic if need be.

Thanks

#4037 1 year ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

Shay looks the best of what I've seen so far. Still haven't figured out if the glass from PPS or Marco is mirrored or who it's made by.

PPS licenses CPR to allow them to produce B/W items. I'm sure that PPS and Marcos are selling CPR products. I'm not exactly sure what process CPR is using vs. what Shay does. There's a good chance it is different but all the CPR glasses I have seen look fine.

Quoted from jk:

Hello, I’m wondering if anyone can make the topper feet/stand for a reasonable price with lettermail shipping to me in Canada? The ones on Ebay to display the topper are crazy expensive. It’s annoying CPR doesn’t include them with their plastics set. Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image]

I think the reason that they aren't included is because the sign was designed to be held in place using 2 small "L" brackets and screws. It would probably be cheaper for you to go to Home Depot or Canadian Tire and get the hardware you need to do it this way. And the sign would not fall off if you nudge the game too much.

You could always do this...

IMG_20210102_1632565 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_1632565 (resized).jpg

IMG_20210102_2347079 (resized).jpgIMG_20210102_2347079 (resized).jpg

#4038 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

PPS licenses CPR to allow them to produce B/W items. I'm sure that PPS and Marcos are selling CPR products. I'm not exactly sure what process CPR is using vs. what Shay does. There's a good chance it is different but all the CPR glasses I have seen look fine.

I think the reason that they aren't included is because the sign was designed to be held in place using 2 small "L" brackets and screws. It would probably be cheaper for you to go to Home Depot or Canadian Tire and get the hardware you need to do it this way. And the sign would not fall off if you nudge the game too much.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

The sign came with legs from the factory.

#4039 1 year ago
Quoted from dzorbas:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Now that is cool. Looks awesome backlit like that!

#4040 1 year ago
Quoted from Chisel:

Anyone have a half decent usable shuttle toy they could sell me cheap? Maybe you replaced your discolored one? I'm not ready for a new one, I want to do a hard top first and mine is now broken where the wire form rests... I'll buy a new one eventually but would like to get by for now. I guess I can always gorilla glue some fix on there with a piece of plastic if need be.
Thanks

I have the one I replaced when I bought a new one; someone before me had done fiberglass repairs to the underside so I don't know if it is any better than what you have, or the pictures could give you some ideas of how to fix.20220916_125905 (resized).jpg20220916_125905 (resized).jpg20220916_125917 (resized).jpg20220916_125917 (resized).jpg20220916_125928 (resized).jpg20220916_125928 (resized).jpg20220916_125939 (resized).jpg20220916_125939 (resized).jpg

#4041 1 year ago

Thanks in advance for a little help with sound buzzing. I get a pretty loud hum as the pin cycles through the lights in between games. Since I need to pull the Sys 9 board and replace a power transistor for a pop bumper, I was going to replace several of the radial capacitors on the lower right of the board (C2,5,7,24,53). I know old caps can be one source of the problem.

But I've since discovered that the culprit for about 95% of the buzzing. It occurs when the pop bumper lights illuminate through the sequence. They had been replace by a previous owner with LED's (I think BriteCaps EVO). If I pull these lights out, it eliminates the 95% of the buzzing or humming.

So my question is, does this change my approach? Would different lights here fix the issue? Maybe someone can chime in that has these lights. I'll probably still go ahead and replace the caps, but might put that off since I don't have those on hand yet if the lights are the culprit.

Also if I unplug the sound board (Swemmer 147-4-19) the buzzing stops. Not sure if that adds anything, but thought I'd mention that also since that's where I started my troubleshooting.

Pop Bumper (resized).JPGPop Bumper (resized).JPG
#4042 1 year ago
Quoted from jk:

[quoted image][quoted image]

It'd be an easy 3D print, but I'd need to know dimensions.

#4043 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

Thanks in advance for a little help with sound buzzing. I get a pretty loud hum as the pin cycles through the lights in between games. Since I need to pull the Sys 9 board and replace a power transistor for a pop bumper, I was going to replace several of the radial capacitors on the lower right of the board (C2,5,7,24,53). I know old caps can be one source of the problem.
But I've since discovered that the culprit for about 95% of the buzzing. It occurs when the pop bumper lights illuminate through the sequence. They had been replace by a previous owner with LED's (I think BriteCaps EVO). If I pull these lights out, it eliminates the 95% of the buzzing or humming.
So my question is, does this change my approach? Would different lights here fix the issue? Maybe someone can chime in that has these lights. I'll probably still go ahead and replace the caps, but might put that off since I don't have those on hand yet if the lights are the culprit.
Also if I unplug the sound board (Swemmer 147-4-19) the buzzing stops. Not sure if that adds anything, but thought I'd mention that also since that's where I started my troubleshooting.[quoted image]

Take out the buzz causing LEDs.

#4044 1 year ago

I was offered 50% off of my CPR backglass that was lacking in mirror. Bad news, they still have 10 more for sale before they reprint them better. I'll be anxiously viewing their website to see if those are going clearance or not.

#4045 1 year ago

Take out the buzz causing LEDs.

Is there an LED replacement that's better or is this typical of this style? Definitely could just take them out, but wondering if they are specifically the problem or just emphasizing another issue like the caps. I've gone through the grounds pretty well. The rest of lights are LED's and I get very little buzz but it's just these that seem to be the issue. If there's a better choice that folks have good luck with, I'll switch. Thanks, still learning.

#4046 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

Is there an LED replacement that's better or is this typical of this style? Definitely could just take them out, but wondering if they are specifically the problem or just emphasizing another issue like the caps. I've gone through the grounds pretty well. The rest of lights are LED's and I get very little buzz but it's just these that seem to be the issue. If there's a better choice that folks have good luck with, I'll switch. Thanks, still learning.

I put red LEDs in my pop bumpers and it looks really nice; I don't think you really need anything more than that! They were from Pinball Life (premium ghostbuster, bayonet, red). No buzzing either.

#4047 1 year ago
Quoted from interconnect:

I put red LEDs in my pop bumpers and it looks really nice; I don't think you really need anything more than that! They were from Pinball Life (premium ghostbuster, bayonet, red). No buzzing either.

Thanks. I'm gonna replace the caps this weekend since I'll have the board out. If the buzzing is still there, I definitely check those out and likely get some.

#4048 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

Either put real bulbs in there or comet LEDs in the original socket.

#4049 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

Also if I unplug the sound board (Swemmer 147-4-19) the buzzing stops. Not sure if that adds anything, but thought I'd mention that also since that's where I started my troubleshooting.[quoted image]

Try tightening all of the screws on your main board, it sounds like you've got shuttle buzz.

#4050 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Try tightening all of the screws on your main board, it sounds like you've got shuttle buzz.

Thanks, yep, that's one of the first things I did after reading a little. And I really tried check to make sure everything was grounding good. Did find the braided ground cable from the bottom cabinet was no longer connected to the backing, so not all the grounds were common. Fixed that but didn't help the buzzing. I'll double check that stuff again though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/81 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.