(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,694 posts
  • 264 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by dr_spidey
  • Topic is favorited by 129 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6B9C1B96-4BCC-4208-827C-8DA6A2E37A69 (resized).jpeg
D60BEA8B-C70B-4478-8B3C-6922B4DB24A1 (resized).png
306361E7-63B9-42B3-A9B5-D3FD10A73544 (resized).png
A1613E09-D1E9-4B48-87AC-A48D05EB0C9E (resized).jpeg
20211010_180824.jpg
20211009_090102 (resized).jpg
20211009_125832 (resized).jpg
IMG_3491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3489 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20211003-080743~2.png
Screenshot_20211003-080812.png
9A899E5E-C983-4245-9891-07C0A2C7EF66 (resized).jpeg
9A715B96-A69A-4098-915B-E3CDB80FDCB0 (resized).jpeg
20210920_172814 (resized).jpg
20210913_165449 (resized).jpg
20210913_150620 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3694 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.
#3651 31 days ago

Space Shuttle plays speech words when Switch 2 on CPU/Driver is pressed as it should.
Sound Test plays only sounds.
But speech is not heard in gameplay, only sounds. I have done a factory reset, no change. Any thoughts?

#3652 28 days ago

For anyone that has replaced the shuttle, what did you use to replace the original rivets for the switch and wireform? I can see that using small bolts to replace the rivets for the switch may be an acceptable answer, but I’m noticing the wireform has extremely small brass rivets with a hole in the middle, that are inserted into the holes, and the wireform rotates within those holes. Thanks!

250DD1B7-38E0-4225-98CC-83E047B71A98 (resized).jpeg3F27500F-8AE7-4E63-8F9C-C36F9C080460 (resized).jpegBDC4CF17-FFC7-4ABA-889D-60460844DF19 (resized).jpeg
#3653 28 days ago

Anyone know if they make replacement spinner decals? My spinner paint is chipped and worn.

#3654 28 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Anyone know if they make replacement spinner decals? My spinner paint is chipped and worn.

This?

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG254

#3655 27 days ago
Quoted from hockeymutt:

Be she’s back together, best thing I’ve done to this game
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from seah2os:

For anyone that has replaced the shuttle, what did you use to replace the original rivets for the switch and wireform? I can see that using small bolts to replace the rivets for the switch may be an acceptable answer, but I’m noticing the wireform has extremely small brass rivets with a hole in the middle, that are inserted into the holes, and the wireform rotates within those holes. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The replacement Shuttles are made with much thicker plastic so the flat stock or the rivets are not required. Well, that's how mine was.

#3657 24 days ago
Quoted from calico1997:

The biggest selling point for me on getting this particular Space Shuttle was the cabinet and coin door condition. Very little damage. Just polished the door and cleaned the mechs a bit. Had to add a NASA sticker though. It just looks appropriate. I touched up minor scuffs on the cabinet and then sealed the wood with Minwax polycrylic satin finish. On the blue touch up paint I got extremely lucky and pretty much was able to nail the perfect color and finish. That's rare for me. If anyone wants the Home Depot paint code I used, let me know. It looks wrong when the paint is wet but when dry, the touch up becomes invisible.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

calico1997 I know this is 2 years later, but any chance you might still have the Home Depot blue paint code for the cabinet? On a side note, I have an entire shelf of "close but not close enough" green paint cans from my Haunted House cabinet I worked on thus year, and if I can save myself from having a shelf of blue paint cans for my SS (which I pick up Saturday, SO excited) that would be nice. But if not no biggie, appreciate it. And your cab and machine look great BTW!

EDIT - my apologies, I am reading the entire SS thread but got excited and posted, sure enough on the next page of posts you had the paint info, anyway, thanks for that, still helping folks out!

#3658 24 days ago
Quoted from naf_llabnip:

calico1997 I know this is 2 years later, but any chance you might still have the Home Depot blue paint code for the cabinet? On a side note, I have an entire shelf of "close but not close enough" green paint cans from my Haunted House cabinet I worked on thus year, and if I can save myself from having a shelf of blue paint cans for my SS (which I pick up Saturday, SO excited) that would be nice. But if not no biggie, appreciate it. And your cab and machine look great BTW!

EDIT - my apologies, I am reading the entire SS thread but got excited and posted, sure enough on the next page of posts you had the paint info, anyway, thanks for that, still helping folks out

#3659 23 days ago

I scanned in mine a few months ago, here is a repost of the paint codes.

3bf9e31741743fe3f58e4134d935a68e9641e2e0 (resized).jpg
#3660 21 days ago

The new shuttle I didn’t use rivets and drilled holes and put the wire form in. I may try to get something else for it but for now works well enough.

#3661 21 days ago

Found this shuttle model and mounted it to back box as a topper. I may illuminate it at some point with the flickering of the rocket in the back box lighting. Model came with 3 astronaut figurines perfect size for playfield. See photo.

20210924_012259 (resized).jpg
#3662 21 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I scanned in mine a few months ago, here is a repost of the paint codes.
[quoted image]

Thanks, I pick up my SS tomorrow and anticipate some cabinet touchups, much appreciated as a paint color starting point!

#3663 20 days ago

My space shuttle was completely missing the shuttle switch, gate bracket.
I used one of those MRS magnetic switches a member here makes. Even had the connector on it.
Works great, no need for a gate. Sticks on the bottom of the ramp.

Got a question i've asked but i don't think anyone has answered yet (Probably like 20 pages ago).
Where do i get the red (pink?) coin return plates. I know someone makes mod space shuttle ones, but i'd just like new originals.

#3664 20 days ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Where do i get the red (pink?) coin return plates

These guys?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/16C-8715-3

#3665 20 days ago
Quoted from jcar302:

My space shuttle was completely missing the shuttle switch, gate bracket.
I used one of those MRS magnetic switches a member here makes. Even had the connector on it.
Works great, no need for a gate. Sticks on the bottom of the ramp.
Got a question i've asked but i don't think anyone has answered yet (Probably like 20 pages ago).
Where do i get the red (pink?) coin return plates. I know someone makes mod space shuttle ones, but i'd just like new originals.

Good news - glad the MRS worked out....it's what it was designed to do!

matt
M&M Creations

#3666 20 days ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Great find! These are simply held in place with double face tape Velcro. Easy peasy. beatmaster had a ss restoration thread where he shows in detail how he backlit these with LEDs. Looks impressive , I believe there's also some images of his machine very early on in this thread.
[quoted image]

Anyone know where to get one of these if they're still available?

#3667 20 days ago

In the club for a month or so. Just finished reading the whole thread. Lots of good advice in here.

In the middle of a hardtop shop lite restore. Someone painted part of the art work after they removed the mylar. Looked like crap with lots of planking art. So hardtop is the way to go for me. Here's some pictures and I'm sure some will say it could've been fixed and cleared, but again...this is not something I'm capable of doing.

Anyway here's some pictures of my project so far.

Before sanding
20210906_154207 (resized).jpg
Sanded above inserts and avoiding shooter lane.
20210913_142220 (resized).jpg
Close up at 600 grit.
20210913_150620 (resized).jpg
Close up at 1500
20210913_165449 (resized).jpg
Installed with new poly coated oak rails.
20210920_172814 (resized).jpg

#3668 20 days ago

I know the center drop target isn't available anymore. Has anyone used a newer style Williams drop target? I'd like to change them all to black and can't find anything about using newer targets or not.

#3669 20 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Found this shuttle model and mounted it to back box as a topper. I may illuminate it at some point with the flickering of the rocket in the back box lighting. Model came with 3 astronaut figurines perfect size for playfield. See photo.
[quoted image]

With as wild as toppers are getting these days, I fully expect you to hook up a fog/steam machine to this thing to create a large steam cloud during multiball countdown.

#3670 19 days ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Looks great. What grades of sandpaper did you use during the process? The inserts look shiny already without any spray clear.

#3671 19 days ago
Quoted from Alan_L:

Looks great. What grades of sandpaper did you use during the process? The inserts look shiny already without any spray clear.

I believe I started at 220 then 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500. Not at home so can't verify the used sanding disks. My goal was to sand and buff so I didn't need to clear. I'm sure it would have turned out better with clear, butI think it turned out amazingly well for not using it.

#3672 16 days ago

Bump....

Anyone know if a newer Williams drop target will work on space shuttle?

Or someone with a 3d printer want to print one of these for me? I'm more them happy to pay for your work.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4602509

#3673 15 days ago

In the club for a month or so. Just finished reading the whole thread. Lots of good advice in here.
In the middle of a hardtop shop lite restore. Someone painted part of the art work after they removed the mylar. Looked like crap with lots of planking art. So hardtop is the way to go for me. Here's some pictures and I'm sure some will say it could've been fixed and cleared, but again...this is not something I'm capable of doing.
Anyway here's some pictures of my project so far.
Before sanding
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Close up at 600 grit.
[quoted image]
Close up at 1500
[quoted image]
Installed with new poly coated oak rails.
[quoted image]

Nice job. I’m still not sure which is better, hardtop or new playfield, done both for this game for a friend. Both require a lot of work but the end result is always amazing. Love seeing this game staying around for more people to enjoy many years later.

#3674 14 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Nice job. I’m still not sure which is better, hardtop or new playfield, done both for this game for a friend. Both require a lot of work but the end result is always amazing. Love seeing this game staying around for more people to enjoy many years later.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's pick your poison. Lol. I haven't done a playfield swap yet. I got a much better playfield for my BSD that I eventually will get to. You're right though, the hardtop is still a lot of work. And I didn't clear, so thats even more. Not sure I would do another one or not yet...I'm over the hurdle of this Install though. Spent a few hours yesterday replacing bad light sockets, new spot targets and new flipper mechs, so it's getting there. Just wish I could figure out what to do about the drop target. It's going to be my only hang up with this game.

#3675 14 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Playfield.

#3676 14 days ago

Proof you should always take pics. I’m replacing the incandescents with LED’s under the 15 white inserts that spell Space Shuttle. Apparently there was, or at least now is, a broken wire from the left row of sockets, and I can’t tell where it goes. Can anyone take a closeup pic and show me where it solders to, please? Thanks!

9A715B96-A69A-4098-915B-E3CDB80FDCB0 (resized).jpeg9A899E5E-C983-4245-9891-07C0A2C7EF66 (resized).jpeg
#3677 13 days ago

It's soldered to the yellow wire next to it on the lug of the middle row of lights. My phone battery is about dead so it won't let me take a picture and I don't have a charger handy, but I did look right at the wire in question. I can take a pick tomorrow

#3678 13 days ago

It's soldered to the yellow wire next to it on the lug of the middle row of lights. My phone battery is about dead so it won't let me take a picture and I don't have a charger handy, but I did look right at the wire in question. I can take a pick tomorrow

Thanks rottenrobert1313 for taking the time to verify! I realize the lay of the wire is kind of telling me where it went, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks again.

#3679 12 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I’m still not sure which is better, hardtop or new playfield, done both for this game for a friend.

I agree, playfield is ideal but the matter is complicated for me by the fact that CPR's art for Space Shuttle is really poor. The art on the SPACE SHUTTLE inserts was autovectored so badly that it looks like it melted.

Screenshot_20211003-080812.png

And the halftones suddenly disappear in chunks. This is real amateur hour stuff:

Screenshot_20211003-080743~2.png

The hardtop art looks perfect by comparison.

I feel like I dodged a bullet as I was moments from ordering the CPR playfield last week when I noticed these things. I know art reproduction isn't everyone's top priority but for me these were deal breakers. I'd rather stake out a NOS or use the money on a restoration.

#3680 12 days ago

Bump....
Anyone know if a newer Williams drop target will work on space shuttle?
Or someone with a 3d printer want to print one of these for me? I'm more them happy to pay for your work.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4602509

rottenrobert1313 I have red and galaxy black available right now. Do you have a preference? I can print one of these this afternoon if you still need one.

#3681 12 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

rottenrobert1313 I have red and galaxy black available right now. Do you have a preference? I can print one of these this afternoon if you still need one.

Man a day late and lots of dollars short. It figures, that's my luck... mama always said I'm too inpatient. I just ordered a whole new drop mech with updated target from pinball life. I guess I should've waited a few more days. I'm at the point where I just want to finish this game. I really appreciate it though. Ugh...

#3682 12 days ago

Man a day late and lots of dollars short. It figures, that's my luck... mama always said I'm too inpatient. I just ordered a whole new drop mech with updated target from pinball life. I guess I should've waited a few more days. I'm at the point where I just want to finish this game. I really appreciate it though. Ugh...

Cool. Offer stands if things don't work out.

#3683 12 days ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Cool. Offer stands if things don't work out.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

#3684 11 days ago
Quoted from billsgto:

Anyone know where to get one of these if they're still available?

You can reach out to goingincirclez he made the initial couple runs of these and has been sold out for a while. He has said that he would do another run if he could get enough interest probably a minimum of 10. These are an awesome addition in my opinion and really help bring this machine to the next level.

#3685 5 days ago

New pilot reporting for duty!
This will be a restoration project over the winter for me and my wife.
The playfield is completely bare in a large section of the lower middle.

IMG_3489 (resized).jpegIMG_3491 (resized).jpeg
#3686 5 days ago
Quoted from jscaptura:

New pilot reporting for duty!
This will be a restoration project over the winter for me and my wife.
The playfield is completely bare in a large section of the lower middle.[quoted image][quoted image]

Welcome aboard. Looks like a nice candidate for a hardtop.

Just finished mine yesterday.
20211009_090102 (resized).jpg
20211009_125832 (resized).jpg

I went with clear Star posts and white targets, titan rubber

#3687 5 days ago

Went to check the batteries on my SS, oops, 2018. So, finally installed the NVRAM I bought years ago lol. Not the easiest install due to an equipment failure (solid clog on my desolder station), but got it done. Now none of my pins have batteries to worry about.

20211010_180824.jpg
#3688 4 days ago

Does anyone know where you can get new stainless coin door skins?

#3689 3 days ago

What is the correct coil for the flippers for Space Shuttle? This is my current coil.

A1613E09-D1E9-4B48-87AC-A48D05EB0C9E (resized).jpeg
#3690 3 days ago
Quoted from waletboy:

What is the correct coil for the flippers for Space Shuttle? This is my current coil.
[quoted image]

Yes it is correct.

I upgraded mine to the orange coils FL15411 which requires some wiring changes but I can utterly rail the ramp shot now. The stock coils are very sensitive to flipper hardware condition and fore and aft adjustment of the flipper bats.

#3691 3 days ago

gdonovan looks like wiring is exactly the same if you go to parallel coils is that true? I’m looking Vid’s guide.

306361E7-63B9-42B3-A9B5-D3FD10A73544 (resized).pngD60BEA8B-C70B-4478-8B3C-6922B4DB24A1 (resized).png
#3692 3 days ago
Quoted from waletboy:

gdonovan looks like wiring is exactly the same if you go to parallel coils is that true? I’m looking Vid’s guide.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I had issues following the guide, figured it out myself.

#3693 1 day ago

Looking on page 20 of the manual. Lamp Location Diagram. Where on the pf is lamp 39 and 40? IJ6-9 row of the matrix is locked on and trying to check for shorts.

6B9C1B96-4BCC-4208-827C-8DA6A2E37A69 (resized).jpeg
#3694 17 hours ago

I don't think they are on the playfield. I think they are on the head. maybe the flashers for the shuttle ignition?

There are 3694 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 74.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside