(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,406 posts
  • 239 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by KSUWildcatFan
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,220 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

58A7441C-F131-4760-A37E-AF94890731DE (resized).jpeg
8FABE745-0476-4A02-96F8-6E73E06EA160 (resized).jpeg
20201225_083127 (resized).jpg
20201225_083336 (resized).jpg
20201225_083153 (resized).jpg
AA928F7D-EC1A-4C77-9E22-C39BD543722E (resized).jpeg
20201219_223128 (resized).jpg
EE318886-A0D4-40DA-AFAB-3227816B4A02 (resized).jpeg
CDC13771-6180-48B7-A05D-E3B70E83DF05 (resized).jpeg
AD6E53E7-B42E-4972-8A91-BC8F8C883FF8 (resized).jpeg
2F72C154-171F-42CC-9891-A591802A6379 (resized).jpeg
7D8D6F16-F6BE-4A97-BCA7-5AB6E53E0D36 (resized).jpeg
B1006760-3F03-4427-8AE3-5DC3C3245F25 (resized).jpeg
565BF3F4-D7CA-48F0-88DC-07C3C5B02BE7 (resized).jpeg
20201209_180526 (resized).jpg
1111 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3406 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 69.
#3351 60 days ago

Just curious, how frequently do you guys actually end up lighting the red "extra ball" light for the right ramp for achieving 7X+ bonus multiplier from the rollover lanes? Seems incredibly difficult for me. I think I've done it once on my machine since I bought it last year.

#3352 60 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Just curious, how frequently do you guys actually end up lighting the red "extra ball" light for the right ramp for achieving 7X+ bonus multiplier from the rollover lanes? Seems incredibly difficult for me. I think I've done it once on my machine since I bought it last year.

I have not made it to space pimp status yet. Need to put the work in!!!

#3353 60 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I have not made it to space pimp status yet. Need to put the work in!!!

I love that, I haven't heard the term space pimp before but I know all my space bitches will love it.

Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

In regards to the USA extra ball bonus it certainly is doable. The benefit to keep trying is that your pick up random sweeps of the drop Targets on its way( which also sets you up for an extra ball) not to mention increasing that all important spinner value.

#3354 60 days ago

Just came off the cuff

I forgot to post this stall I had the other night. And no this is not trick photography

3D326123-D319-465A-A5B1-BF9E104F85E2 (resized).jpeg
#3355 60 days ago
Quoted from Bax1:

Just came off the cuff
I forgot to post this stall I had the other night. And no this is not trick photography
[quoted image]

Nice grab, now go for 2. This happened when I powered it off with two balls locked.

20201002_211244 (resized).jpg
#3356 60 days ago

Making progress! Removed the remains of the battery holder and installed a remote pack.

Nice to save settings now!

#3357 60 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Since I would not sell my buddy my space shuttle, he bought 2 for me to restore. Very time consuming for sure, however I have finally finished 1 cabinet. Now to paint the second next week and then move onto the playfield swaps with new CPR playfield for 1 and a hard top for the other.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These look awesome, who's stencils did you use? I've heard some can be really tough to work with with poor alignment although it doesn't look like you had any alignment issues. Looks really nice

#3358 60 days ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Nice grab, now go for 2. This happened when I powered it off with two balls locked.
[quoted image]

Ha!! That’s awesome

#3359 59 days ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

These look awesome, who's stencils did you use?

I have been using Pinball Pimp stencils.

Love the name and the products are perfect. I have done a few cabinets using these stencil kits and they always turned out perfect. His alignment method leaves a square sticker on the cabinet after the first stencil and you just have to align the holes in the next consecutive stencils for perfect pinball results.

Highly recommend this product if you plan to restore any pin. Plus his website is easy to use in finding your specific pinball stencil kit.

http://www.pinballpimp.com/

#3360 59 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

I have been using Pinball Pimp stencils.
Love the name and the products are perfect. I have done a few cabinets using these stencil kits and they always turned out perfect. His alignment method leaves a square sticker on the cabinet after the first stencil and you just have to align the holes in the next consecutive stencils for perfect pinball results.
Highly recommend this product if you plan to restore any pin. Plus his website is easy to use in finding your specific pinball stencil kit.
http://www.pinballpimp.com/

Thanks for the feedback I'm hoping to get to my cabinet next year.

#3361 59 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Once. On the first game after I moved my outlane posts down a little to make the game easier!

But then never again since that one game...

-Jason

#3362 58 days ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Since I would not sell my buddy my space shuttle, he bought 2 for me to restore. Very time consuming for sure, however I have finally finished 1 cabinet. Now to paint the second next week and then move onto the playfield swaps with new CPR playfield for 1 and a hard top for the other.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

May I ask what brand/style of paints you used when repainting the cabinet, and how you applied (sprayer, something else?) -- as well as how long you waited after applying a stenciled color to remove the stencil?

Stenciling is the weakest part our our restoration game right now... our last results were very unsatisfactory.

#3363 58 days ago

Starting to really enjoy this game, well deserved reputation.

20201122_173418 (resized).jpg
#3364 57 days ago
Quoted from oliviarium:

May I ask what brand/style of paints you used when repainting the cabinet, and how you applied (sprayer, something else?) -- as well as how long you waited after applying a stenciled color to remove the stencil?

Here is what I’ve used on this paint job. Make sure to use enamel paint. I prefer rust oleum over krylon, just think it lays/ covers better when doing the whole cabinet, but I wanted this specific blue for the cabinet. I used automotive color matched paint as well put into aerosol cans (one day I will buy a compressor and spray gun but want a shed as I do more and more cabinets) from o’Riley’s with great results as well when I matched the color from a backglass for an a Gottlieb Grandslam pinball.

For best results, be patient. If the paint says recoat after 24 hours of drying or 48 hours like this krylon can says, wait that time. I tried to recoat earlier and the paint crackled.

Once the cabinet is fixed, bondo applied as needed, and primed, paint the cabinet and let dry as needed.

Once the stencil is applied, scuff the entire area to be painted with sand paper. I found using 3000 grit sand paper that is made on a foam pad works best than the standard paper kind. It’s about $7 per pad. I spray one, or maybe two coats going from one side to the other and than peel off the stencil immediately. Let dry the required 24 or 48 hours again and than do the next stencil the same way.

72C871DC-2505-4350-8D42-6E647D9BF338 (resized).jpeg

#3365 55 days ago

Yesterday was a day off so it was time for some maintenance!

Replaced the GI 9 pin connector and terminals at the power board, replaced some of the GI pins on the board, installed fuses to protect the bridges, fixed a few insert lamp sockets that were flickering, inspected the pop bumpers and adjusted for best action, fixed two pop bumper lamp sockets.

20201125_042140 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3366 43 days ago

Popped down to Home Depot with the backbox and had them scan the cleaned and buffed top =)

Color match came out nice, I'll post the formula when I get off work today.

20201206_175330 (resized).jpg20201206_192741 (resized).jpg20201206_192801 (resized).jpg

#3367 43 days ago

Hello everyone,
I came across a new problem yesterday. I figured id see if it was something common, or if anyone might have a place for me to start.

After the game was on for an hour or so, the GI lighting suddenly stopped working, everything else was working fine.

Went to poke around yesterday and when i started, no lights came on, I could not start a game, and the displays looked like the picture below.

Any thoughts?

777 (resized).jpg
#3368 42 days ago

Your batteries on your mpu board are dead, or have leaked and damaged your board. If you flick the power off and then back on really quickly, it will probably go in to attract mode.

#3369 42 days ago

Last nights work

20201207_205148 (resized).jpg20201207_205212 (resized).jpg
#3370 41 days ago

Paint codes as promised. Mind you these are scans from my cabinet so may reflect some fading. The blue is from the top of the back box so should be spot on as that sees the least sun. The red was scanned off side of blackbox and I'd say it was slightly faded. Matches my other reds perfectly.

20201209_082259 (resized).jpg
#3371 41 days ago
Quoted from Grauwulf:

Your batteries on your mpu board are dead, or have leaked and damaged your board. If you flick the power off and then back on really quickly, it will probably go in to attract mode.

So, replaced the batteries (and going to order a remote mount). But it didn't solve the issue. I did try flicking the power on/off really quickly, and I was able to get it up and running, still no GI.

Did a really quick poke to see if any wires came loose. I found this behind the coin door, looks like the wiring to force this into free play came loose.

Can anyone confirm all 4 of these wires should be connected together? i dont think this solves my GI issues, i will start searching the forum for things to try there, any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad

1111 (resized).jpg
#3372 41 days ago

GI issues? Check power board connection, 9 pin and 2 pin. Notorious for issues.

#3373 40 days ago

Finished with the reds on the left side. Just have some tiny spots of blue to finish and the move over to right side which isn't as bad. Considering clearcoating but have not decided yet.

20201209_180526 (resized).jpg
#3374 40 days ago

Ok, going to see if the hardtop is worth it compared to a playfield swap since I’m doing both for my friend. Will help me decide later on a game I want to restore.

Cost comparison looks like the hardtop is a winner, but taking into time to disassemble and reassemble, we will see. Right now, the time it took to dismantle everything that protruded through the top side, sand down the playfield, and polished the inserts has taken about 7 hours. I still need to clear the shooter lane, touch up black around the inserts, and clean all the inserts from the backside. I think I should have the hardtop installed in about 9-10 hours total, than onto reassembling. Granted this is my first so maybe other people are faster. We will see.

Just sitting the hardtop on without installing it gives me hope this will be great on final install.

565BF3F4-D7CA-48F0-88DC-07C3C5B02BE7 (resized).jpegB1006760-3F03-4427-8AE3-5DC3C3245F25 (resized).jpeg7D8D6F16-F6BE-4A97-BCA7-5AB6E53E0D36 (resized).jpeg
#3375 39 days ago

That’s a lot of sanding! I just make sure I get it smooth and the artwork off the inserts.

#3376 39 days ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

That’s a lot of sanding! I just make sure I get it smooth and the artwork off the inserts.

Sanding/polishing took about 2.5 hours. Maybe it was overkill. Again, first time doing a hardtop and I just keep watching YouTube on how people have done this. Started with 220 grit to get the graphics off and than went up to 2000 grit and novus 2 on the inserts.

#3377 35 days ago

I'm sure this has been addressed before but i noticed in the sound diagnostics mode there is an explosion sound that as far as I can tell isn't used in the game. I know some sounds are recycled and used in more than one game (i.e. pinbot and high speed, blackout and black knight). Anyone know if this unused sound is used in another title? I can check out which number it is if nobody is familiar with it.

#3378 35 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I'm sure this has been addressed before but i noticed in the sound diagnostics mode there is an explosion sound that as far as I can tell isn't used in the game. I know some sounds are recycled and used in more than one game (i.e. pinbot and high speed, blackout and black knight). Anyone know if this unused sound is used in another title? I can check out which number it is if nobody is familiar with it.

I recall an explosion sound in game, when winning special maybe?

#3379 35 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I recall an explosion sound in game, when winning special maybe?

Hmm, I don't recall but you have me curious. I'll have to binge play now until I hit a Special and see what happens.

#3380 35 days ago

Does anyone happen to have a spare 'Space Shuttle Defender Star Base' playfield decal, or know where I can get one domestically?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-13C

#3381 34 days ago

General Williams question, but why do some machines have mylar from factory and some don't? My SS pf fortunately still has mylar overaly and is in unusually good condition as a result. I've seen other SS's at shows without mylar that are worn down to wood splinters. Is mylar always installed by default and operators just removed it over the years after it began to bubble and look bad, or do only certain runs of each title have it?

#3382 34 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

General Williams question, but why do some machines have mylar from factory and some don't? My SS pf fortunately still has mylar overaly and is in unusually good condition as a result. I've seen other SS's at shows without mylar that are worn down to wood splinters. Is mylar always installed by default and operators just removed it over the years after it began to bubble and look bad, or do only certain runs of each title have it?

I'm curious too. Mine has mylar all over it. And the wood beneath it is really nice! The rest of the playfield is shot though. I'm considering doing the hardtop installation to save the game but if the mylar is going to be a problem in the removal process, I may not.

#3383 33 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Does anyone happen to have a spare 'Space Shuttle Defender Star Base' playfield decal, or know where I can get one domestically?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-13C

As far as I know it's not available in the US right now. But this site will ship it pretty quickly from the UK and you can use PayPal to do the currency conversion (or use a premium credit card with free conversion rates): https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/7748/s/space-shuttle-playfield-center-overlay/

#3384 32 days ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

the mylar is going to be a problem in the removal process

I had a few sections of Mylar on the space shuttle pin I’m doing a hardtop install (kickers, pop bumpers) and had very little problems just removing it by peeling it off. If that’s it, you should be ok. However, an Evel Knievel pin I had, had lots of Mylar on it. Mainly the center area , I tried the freeze method to remove all the Mylar, may have been installed since day one, and it actually took off some of the plywood!! Now I use that as a work bench other pinball playfields.

Just be careful if you decide to peel the Mylar. Most likely, all will be ok, but there is always a chance. Or just sand it if doing a hardtop.

#3385 32 days ago

So here is another pic of another person doing a hardtop install. So far so good. Glad I bought dremel tool nearly 20 years ago. Lots of sanding/cutting out rollover switches and locating of holes once the inserts were set just right. Did like one guys use on YouTube of using a soldering iron to locate some holes, rest have been back drilled as needed. Nothing lined up perfect, but not too bad. Down to only needing stuff to rebuild the pop bumpers and flippers and will move onto the the other space shuttle with a new CPR playfield swap. Lots of work, but if it saves another historical pinball machine from the dump, it’s worth it.

2F72C154-171F-42CC-9891-A591802A6379 (resized).jpegCDC13771-6180-48B7-A05D-E3B70E83DF05 (resized).jpegAD6E53E7-B42E-4972-8A91-BC8F8C883FF8 (resized).jpegEE318886-A0D4-40DA-AFAB-3227816B4A02 (resized).jpeg
#3386 32 days ago
Quoted from Lithium:

As far as I know it's not available in the US right now. But this site will ship it pretty quickly from the UK and you can use PayPal to do the currency conversion (or use a premium credit card with free conversion rates): https://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/catalog/product/view/id/7748/s/space-shuttle-playfield-center-overlay/

Thanks! That's the only place I was able to find it available, as well. Looks like I will just have to have it shipped overseas.

#3387 32 days ago

Space Shuttle members. I'm trying to figure out why my U S A lane lights stopped working. On pg 25 of the schematic the 1J7-5 seems to be involved in the circuit the question ,isn't that the key? I replaced R 109 and I'm wondering if that is still the problem or should I look for a problem with Q 27? I also lost my 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x and 7x lights. Are those R 101 and which transistor. I'm trying to read the schematic to see if I need to reodo these resistors or look down the line of the circuit to a transistor or maybe a diode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#3388 32 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Hmm, I don't recall but you have me curious. I'll have to binge play now until I hit a Special and see what happens.

There is 3 explosion sounds in a row when you get extra ball I noticed tonight.

#3389 31 days ago
Quoted from MinturnMiler:

Space Shuttle members. I'm trying to figure out why my U S A lane lights stopped working. On pg 25 of the schematic the 1J7-5 seems to be involved in the circuit the question ,isn't that the key? I replaced R 109 and I'm wondering if that is still the problem or should I look for a problem with Q 27? I also lost my 2x 3x 4x 5x 6x and 7x lights. Are those R 101 and which transistor. I'm trying to read the schematic to see if I need to reodo these resistors or look down the line of the circuit to a transistor or maybe a diode. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's usually the transistor, not the resistor.
check all the transistors in the lamp matrix section

Exactly which lights are out?

#3390 31 days ago

Just making sure, there is no setting to make the airlock reset to CLOSED (drain blocked) at the start of a new ball, right? I noticed if my airlock is open from previous ball, it will close at beginning of new ball but opens immediately once any playfield switch is activated and does this until the drop target bank is completed.

Essentially once it opens it remains open the entire game (during play) unless the drop target bank is completed, and there is no way to change this, correct?

#3391 31 days ago

Mine resets to closed for every ball. Maybe there’s a setting?

#3392 31 days ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Mine resets to closed for every ball. Maybe there’s a setting?

Does it remain closed until the right drain switch is triggered or does it open as soon as any playfield switch is activated?

#3393 31 days ago

Sorry, should have included that. Stays closed until that switch is activated. Maybe you have a bad diode or a shorted wire going on

#3394 30 days ago

Regarding my airlock issue, I accidentally changed the adjustment #34 to Value 99. Changing it back to 1 corrected the problem.

#3395 30 days ago

I actually had this happened during a game just a few minutes ago haha. Initially two balls got stuck and I thought if I can get the third ball to get in there and knock them loose it would dislodge them but the third one got stuck to.

20201219_223128 (resized).jpg
#3396 30 days ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I actually had this happened during a game just a few minutes ago haha. Initially two balls got stuck and I thought if I can get the third ball to get in there and knock them loose it would dislodge them but the third one got stuck to.
[quoted image]

That's an impressive cluster, worthy of posting on the strangest place you got your ball stuck thread also.

#3397 29 days ago

Anyone have a JPG/TIFF copy of Ed Chung's scan? I'm looking to repair my playfield and try my hand at waterslide decals. E-mailed Ed but no reply as of yet. I mostly need around the center ship and upper part of the station.

#3398 27 days ago

Who sells the toppers feet?

#3400 27 days ago

Im looking for a clear ramp for space shuttle, if anyone has one they would be willing to part with? Maybe bought an extra or doesnt like the clear one.. Starship fantasy doesn't have any right now, and i was hoping to get one.

Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 81.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 17.00
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
Tommy's Pins
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 3406 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 69.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside