(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,485 posts
  • 320 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg
20240401_123913 (resized).jpg
ball gate (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 90.
#251 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

How the heck are you guys going to ship 48" thin metal sheets without them getting all bent up?

Between plywood.

#252 9 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

How the heck are you guys going to ship 48" thin metal sheets without them getting all bent up?

Just put them in a LCD TV box like you do a playfield.

1 week later
#253 9 years ago

I'm making good progress on my playfield swap - have the playfield back in the cabinet now, and the re-built flippers are strong as heck!

I'm getting tons of airballs, actually. My guess is I've got the tapered yellow rubbers just to each side of the main ramp entrance upside down... Can anyone confirm which direction they should be installed? I bet if I flip them it would reduce airballs...

ramp.jpgramp.jpg
#254 9 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

I'm making good progress on my playfield swap - have the playfield back in the cabinet now, and the re-built flippers are strong as heck!
I'm getting tons of airballs, actually. My guess is I've got the tapered yellow rubbers just to each side of the main ramp entrance upside down... Can anyone confirm which direction they should be installed? I bet if I flip them it would reduce airballs...

ramp.jpg 17 KB

IPDB says flip 'em =)
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2260&picno=15269
-mof

#255 9 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

ramp.jpg 17 KB

Yes, you have them upside down.

#256 9 years ago

Thanks for the link! Those looks way more cylindrical than the ones that came in my kit, but indeed they do seem to have a larger rim around the top. I'll go ahead and flip them.

#257 9 years ago
Quoted from CCPL:

Yes, you have them upside down.

Cool, thanks!

#258 9 years ago

It's finally finished!! My first ground-up restoration! Really pleased with the results. Thank you everyone for the help and advice along the way! Some more pics are up at: http://abpinball.com/ss/

Oh and yep, the tapered posts work MUCH better with the wide end on top

regards,
Andre

SpaceShuttleFinished3-807.jpgSpaceShuttleFinished3-807.jpg SpaceShuttleFinished7-78.jpgSpaceShuttleFinished7-78.jpg
#260 9 years ago

Congrats, it looks beautiful. You saved a great game for another generation to enjoy.

#261 9 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

It's finally finished!! My first ground-up restoration!

GREAT work!

#263 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Congrats, it looks beautiful. You saved a great game for another generation to enjoy.

Thanks guys!

Quoted from beatmaster:

are you going to put leds?

Nope no way - I'm an incandescent kind of guy. Maybe I'll try LEDs one day but not without GI+LED OCD anyway, and those boards are hard to come by these days. As it is now, my Space Shuttle has all new lighting - every single bulb on the playfield was replaced, all are #44 incandescent except for the pop bumpers which I converted to #555. Several lamp sockets are new too. I like the way it looks quite a bit

Andre

#264 9 years ago

Congratulation!! Fantastic result.

#265 9 years ago

Thanks! Now I'm having fun playing it! I just managed a shot up the main ramp with the drop target in the raised position - a bank shot off the "U" target. The machine made a noise I hadn't heard before, so sounds like the programmers had their bases covered with this one

2 months later
#266 9 years ago

I'm heading home with a nice project SS, so I guess I'm in the club again. Can't wait to get her set up and start working on her.

#267 9 years ago
Quoted from Piparoo:

I'm heading home with a nice project SS, so I guess I'm in the club again. Can't wait to get her set up and start working on her.

Haven't had a new member in a while, Congrats. Post some pictures.

#268 9 years ago

I gotta say, I'm really stoked about this game. Other than needing a couple of switches adjusted and it having one too many balls in it, this project space shuttle that came home with me today is working flawlessly. Of course it's pretty dirty but I'm really happy with how it worked out

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG photo 4.JPGphoto 4.JPG
#269 9 years ago

I gave the game some TLC today, fixed the switches and gave it a quick tear down, cleaning and wax, and dropped in some LEDs and new balls. It's playing fast and fun. The playfield has some wear above the rollovers and around the pops but none to speak of in the center of the playfield. I think I'm going to leave it as it is, not drop a ton of money into a restoration and just play the heck out of it. For the money, this is one of the best pins I've played.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#270 9 years ago

compare to most space shuttle, that PF looks great.

nice find.

1 week later
#271 9 years ago

A few questions...

- Does anyone have any extra decals for the drops that they printed out? I'll pay for shipping.

- How are you getting LED's to work for the playfield GI and for the inserts? I tried a 47 cool white frosted from PBL in the GI and it didn't work in any of the sockets.

- My green multiball light behind the ramp drop targets works great in attract mode, but when I have 1 or 2 balls locked and hit the center drop target, the light does NOT light. What gives? Possible a row/column issue?

Thanks

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

How are you getting LED's to work for the playfield GI and for the inserts? I tried a 47 cool white frosted from PBL in the GI and it didn't work in any of the sockets.

Probably a bad bulb.

Should work no problem

#273 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably a bad bulb.
Should work no problem

I must have grabbed a bad bulb. I pulled a working one from the backbox and it worked in the controlled lamps for the inserts as well as the GI in the slings. Ah, the simple things...

#274 9 years ago

How are you getting LED's to work for the playfield GI and for the inserts? I tried a 47 cool white frosted from PBL in the GI and it didn't work in any of the sockets.

I led'd mine and they work fine.

#275 9 years ago

I must have grabbed a bad bulb. I pulled a working one from the backbox and it worked in the controlled lamps for the inserts as well as the GI in the slings. Ah, the simple things...

It happens.

Every batch of bulbs I buy has a few duds that get tossed.

#276 9 years ago

Build a 'lil bulb tester and leave it out -- saves me a lot of time, esp since I am re-using 100's of 30-yr-old 44's -- 5% of 'em are bad, and it's important that I test 'em once before dropping 'em in.
Put a 44 and a 555 socket next to each other. 3 AA's. Block of wood. 4 wires. 6 screws. battery holder. Enjoy.
-mof

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Build a 'lil bulb tester and leave it out -- saves me a lot of time, esp since I am re-using 100's of 30-yr-old 44's -- 5% of 'em are bad, and it's important that I test 'em once before dropping 'em in.
Put a 44 and a 555 socket next to each other. 3 AA's. Block of wood. 4 wires. 6 screws. battery holder. Enjoy.
-mof

can you put in a single fuse block and have a fuse tester also?

1 week later
#278 9 years ago

if anyone knows where I can get a new playfield please let me know, looks like I got my game too late to take advantage of the new playfields from cpr, thanks for any help

#279 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

if anyone knows where I can get a new playfield please let me know, looks like I got my game too late to take advantage of the new playfields from cpr, thanks for any help

Always check with Ron Kruzman.
"kruzman"
-mof

#280 9 years ago
Quoted from bobbyt:

If you still have your old one, John Greatwich can re-print it and clear coat it for $500

#281 9 years ago

Joining the club. Picked mine up on Aug 3rd and am almost done cleaning it up, repairing etc. Just waiting on my LED's from Comet Pinball and it will be going in my pin row.

Will Rottendog ever make a replacement System 9 MPU?

#282 9 years ago
Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Will Rottendog ever make a replacement System 9 MPU?

If you reburn the ROMs, you can use a Sys11 or Sys11A board in a Sys9 game.

#283 9 years ago

Ive been in the process of restoring my shuttle over the last few months. Stripped the upper playfield , retouched , new graphics in worn areas and 10 coats of varathane . Looking good!! rebuilding the upper playfield including new ramp, shuttle , pop bumper caps, full rubbers, and everything else it might need. Doing full mech rebuilds underneath along with full cabinet restore with stencils and new backglass. Just moved so things are a little crazy but i will be starting a new post with tons of photos very soon

#284 9 years ago

Here are a few pics to wet your whistle 001.jpg001.jpg002.jpg002.jpg003.jpg003.jpg

#285 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ive been in the process of restoring my shuttle over the last few months. Stripped the upper playfield , retouched , new graphics in worn areas and 10 coats of varathane . Looking good!! rebuilding the upper playfield including new ramp, shuttle , pop bumper caps, full rubbers, and everything else it might need. Doing full mech rebuilds underneath along with full cabinet restore with stencils and new backglass. Just moved so things are a little crazy but i will be starting a new post with tons of photos very soon

WOW....what a mad man. I like...I like.

#286 9 years ago

ok better pics to come but here are few of myt playfield almost done. Still have to rebuild the opo bumpers though. Sorry for the crappy photos but agin better ones to come. This playfield was worn down to the wood in more places than not when i started . IMG-20140816-00150.jpgIMG-20140816-00150.jpgIMG-20140816-00152.jpgIMG-20140816-00152.jpgIMG-20140816-00151.jpgIMG-20140816-00151.jpgIMG-20140816-00153.jpgIMG-20140816-00153.jpg

#287 9 years ago

Here is a shot of part of the playfield before i started. 021.jpg021.jpg

#288 9 years ago

Fantastic job on the touch-ups, looks perfect.

1 week later
#289 9 years ago

Hey guys and gals. New Space Shuttle owner here! Can't wait to get it running. It's worn/well-loved and missing some essential parts.

I snagged the manual and noticed that there are no diagrams or tables for the cabinet parts, unlike my other pins. I am looking for the sizes of bolts required to hold the backbox upward. The machine I bought didn't have them. Can anyone point me to the correct size? They're kind necessary. Can't seem to find them online specifically listed for this cabinet.

As soon as I get the backbox upward, I'll upload some pictures. It's definitely going to require some work.

Thanks.

#290 9 years ago

There were 2 different sized backboxes for Shuttle.

I'd get the standard 2" long 3/8"-16 thread and you should be good.

Those bolts are like .30 cents each, so if you wanted to be 100% covered, you could also get them in 2.5" length.

Get some big, thick, 3/8" washers too.

#291 9 years ago

Like vid said. Just go to the hardware store.

#292 9 years ago

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I figured they were standard sized but it's not like I could take the cabinet into Lowes and find the corresponding size It's my first Williams and first fixer-upper from a non-working state. Learning is fun.

#293 9 years ago
Quoted from ExitWound:

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I figured they were standard sized but it's not like I could take the cabinet into Lowes and find the corresponding size It's my first Williams and first fixer-upper from a non-working state. Learning is fun.

You should have a vaaaast assortment of nuts and bolts at home, your a guy aren't you.

#294 9 years ago

A few of my speech sounds have been sounding "garbled" and more "metallic" than normal in the past couple of days. Has anyone had a similar issue and/or could steer me toward troubleshooting it? I know roms can go bad and solder joints can be fussy but was hoping to start problem solving at something a little simpler if possible.

#295 9 years ago

How do the speakers look? Are they original?

#296 9 years ago

Thanks for starting the club. I'm in!

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How do the speakers look? Are they original?

Good question. I'll have to take a look when I get home. I should've mentioned that the problem only is with a few of the speech sounds. The music/sound effects sound normal.

#298 9 years ago

Dear crew members,
i have been actively looking for a cpr playfield for mine.
If anyone has one, knows of one....please pm me. My pf is roughed up pretty good.
Thanks, James

#299 9 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

i have been actively looking for a cpr playfield for mine.

Quoted from vid1900:

If you still have your old one, John Greatwich can re-print it and clear coat it for $500

#300 9 years ago

yes I know, but he is not a 100% on doing it yet, plus I just love the no fuss CPR playfield. I must continue the search

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,485 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.