(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,496 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by SkyKing2301
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240425_084536 (resized).jpg
IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 90.
#2701 4 years ago

#7 bonus Light stuck on. Bonus light #4 and #7 don't light when spelling space shuttle. Replaced 1j7 connector. Lamp matrix works in test mode. Checked bulbs and sockets. Any help would be appreciated.

#2702 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Just copying you all! I'm pumped to get it'll lit up (after all the thought put into it).

Just curious, which purple LEDs did you go with? I tried several different 2SMD frosted bulbs and they all seemed REALLY bright under the ramp. Eventually I settled on the lenseless UV lights which I think add juuuust enough of a touch.

Your progress is looking great!

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Just curious, which purple LEDs did you go with? I tried several different 2SMD frosted bulbs and they all seemed REALLY bright under the ramp. Eventually I settled on the lenseless UV lights which I think add juuuust enough of a touch.
Your progress is looking great!

All the lights are 1smd. Under the middle ramp are purple passion and blue under the right ramp. I'm planning on getting the flippers (rebuild to fliptronic style) and pops done while the playfield is out. Then, get it back in the cabinet and mockup the ramp with plastics on top to see how it all looks before I start tightening things down for good.

Gotta go get a Harbor Freight dremel today for the extra Hard Top edge at the back of the playfield.

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

All the lights are 1smd. Under the middle ramp are purple passion and blue under the right ramp. I'm planning on getting the flippers (rebuild to fliptronic style) and pops done while the playfield is out. Then, get it back in the cabinet and mockup the ramp with plastics on top to see how it all looks before I start tightening things down for good.
Gotta go get a Harbor Freight dremel today for the extra Hard Top edge at the back of the playfield.

Fingers crossed on those 1SMDs. I love the putting purple accents everywhere I can, I just couldn't seem to get anything how I liked it on SS until I went with UV. My ice blues looked like a damn bug zapper, lol

#2705 4 years ago

Well it's officially finished, I received the rest of the parts so I could repair and install my ramp finally. Really digging the flaps from Starship, what a smooth transition, when playing you can really feel it. Just so we're clear,"officially finished" is just what I'm telling my wife. I hope to get a comet order in today, I still want to tweak some of the lighting. As it sits, including the topper and ground effect lights the machine now has 930 lights. That just won't do, can't be that close to a thousand and not go there. There's still so much more I want to do to this machine but for now it's in a really good place. Hope to shoot some gameplay video this week and get it posted before the weekend.

20200414_225235 (resized).jpg20200414_225235 (resized).jpg20200414_225406 (resized).jpg20200414_225406 (resized).jpg20200414_225937 (resized).jpg20200414_225937 (resized).jpg20200414_230047 (resized).jpg20200414_230047 (resized).jpg20200412_213212 (resized).jpg20200412_213212 (resized).jpg
#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Well it's officially finished, I received the rest of the parts so I could repair and install my ramp finally. Really digging the flaps from Starship, what a smooth transition, when playing you can really feel it. Just so we're clear,"officially finished" is just what I'm telling my wife. I hope to get a comet order in today, I still want to tweak some of the lighting. As it sits, including the topper and ground effect lights the machine now has 930 lights. That just won't do, can't be that close to a thousand and not go there. There's still so much more I want to do to this machine but for now it's in a really good place. Hope to shoot some gameplay video this week and get it posted before the weekend.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Gorgeous! Very nicely done.

#2707 4 years ago

Gorgeous! Very nicely done.

Thanks, and it plays like a dream. Still a lot I want to do with it, but up next "The Beast"!

20200325_103031 (resized).jpg20200325_103031 (resized).jpg
#2708 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Well it's officially finished, I received the rest of the parts so I could repair and install my ramp finally. Really digging the flaps from Starship, what a smooth transition, when playing you can really feel it. Just so we're clear,"officially finished" is just what I'm telling my wife. I hope to get a comet order in today, I still want to tweak some of the lighting. As it sits, including the topper and ground effect lights the machine now has 930 lights. That just won't do, can't be that close to a thousand and not go there. There's still so much more I want to do to this machine but for now it's in a really good place. Hope to shoot some gameplay video this week and get it posted before the weekend.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fine work indeed! I mean, they're never really finished. Thanks for the inspiration.

#2709 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Thanks, and it plays like a dream. Still a lot I want to do with it, but up next "The Beast"![quoted image]

Onward! I'm still dinking around with this high speed...I do like these lollipops, thinking I may do the swap on SS at some point, just have to decide on a color....

IMG_20200415_094856 (resized).jpgIMG_20200415_094856 (resized).jpgIMG_20200415_094900 (resized).jpgIMG_20200415_094900 (resized).jpgIMG_20200415_102857 (resized).jpgIMG_20200415_102857 (resized).jpg
#2710 4 years ago

Onward! I'm still dinking around with this high speed...I do like these lollipops, thinking I may do the swap on SS at some point, just have to decide on a color.... [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I went with the dark Blues, and it's one of the reasons I'm tweaking some lighting. They just don't pop the way I had hoped they would.

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I went with the dark Blues, and it's one of the reasons I'm tweaking some lighting. They just don't pop the way I had hoped they would.

Maybe I'll do purple, just because. Lmao

#2712 4 years ago

Maybe I'll do purple, just because. Lmao

Nothing wrong with purple, that might look pretty cool. It's like, if blue and red had a baby ... That's what it would look like.

#2713 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Nothing wrong with purple, that might look pretty cool. It's like, if blue and red had a baby ... That's what it would look like.

yeah, I vote purple!

#2714 4 years ago

All hail, PURPLEEEEEEE

40929678143_45fd9dafb3 (resized).jpg40929678143_45fd9dafb3 (resized).jpg
#2715 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Would you mind posting that topper in action? How much clearance is needed? Thanks

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Would you mind posting that topper in action? How much clearance is needed? Thanks

I'm going to try to put something up before the weekend. In the meantime lot of information here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/-the-ultimate-pinball-topper-omg-you-need-to-see-this

#2717 4 years ago

Has anyone successfully added a ramp flap to their original ramp?

#2718 4 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Has anyone successfully added a ramp flap to their original ramp?

I managed to over this last weekend. I opted not to use the rivets as I didn't have the correct tools and was afraid of damaging the ramp further. I used a silicone adhesive just under the Leading Edge where the rivets would be.

#2719 4 years ago

What flap and where did you buy it from ?

#2720 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Here's a link to a video of that topper in action.

You will need at the very bare minimum 16 and 1/2 inch clearance from the ceiling to the top of the game. The topper is an LCD holographic projection fan and can be loaded with up to 50 videos. Manufacturer has a catalog of numerous pinball themed videos ready to load. They also provide links to free software so you can grab, edit or process videos from YouTube or other sources for the fan.
20200416_172720 (resized).jpg20200416_172720 (resized).jpg20200416_173458_003 (resized).jpg20200416_173458_003 (resized).jpg20200416_175227_018 (resized).jpg20200416_175227_018 (resized).jpg20200416_174431_002 (resized).jpg20200416_174431_002 (resized).jpg20200416_173250_013_saved (resized).jpg20200416_173250_013_saved (resized).jpg20200416_173451_004 (resized).jpg20200416_173451_004 (resized).jpg
Just a disclaimer I'm no Steven Spielberg, shot this on a really poor quality cell phone it's a little fuzzy and the whites kind of wash out doesn't do it justice. The strobing and flickering is also not present when you view it live but because of the frame rate it appears on video.

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

What flap and where did you buy it from ?

Starship fantasy has the flaps available for $12 for a set. It's the same flap set that you maybe seen pictured on the new ramps already installed. Comes with rivets.

20200414_225325 (resized).jpg20200414_225325 (resized).jpg
#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Here's a link to a video of that topper in action.

You will need at the very bare minimum 16 and 1/2 inch clearance from the ceiling to the top of the game. The topper is an LCD holographic projection fan and can be loaded with up to 50 videos. Manufacturer has a catalog of numerous pinball themed videos ready to load. They also provide links to free software so you can grab, edit or process videos from YouTube or other sources for the fan.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Just a disclaimer I'm no Steven Spielberg, shot this on a really poor quality cell phone it's a little fuzzy and the whites kind of wash out doesn't do it justice. The strobing and flickering is also not present when you view it live but because of the frame rate it appears on video.

Wow! Thanks for posting,I've seen these but the shuttle/space theme seems to look the best! I'm going to check my measurements.

#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Apinjunkie your shuttle looks awesome. Do you have a video of it in action?

Well, we won't win any Academy Awards for production values that's for sure but here's a gameplay video. Warning! If you're prone to seizures you might want to skip this and search for a cat video instead.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Well, we won't win any Academy Awards for production values that's for sure but here's a gameplay video. Warning! If you're prone to seizures you might want to skip this and search for a cat video instead.

And the TWIPY for gameplay video goes to...

Thanks for sharing. The video helps highlight all the additional lighting tie-ins you created. Really awesome. I love the LEDs that match the USA rollovers. Great work!

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

WOW, amazing looking, makes this classic pin rival much later titles with all the added light features. Great ideas from the play field glass to the added LEDs around the perimeter, I really like how you tied in the lights at the bottom on the apron and your paint work, very cool. Wish I could paint and do what you did, just awesome. This is still the most played pin in my small collection.

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from Bobosika:

#7 bonus Light stuck on. Bonus light #4 and #7 don't light when spelling space shuttle. Replaced 1j7 connector. Lamp matrix works in test mode. Checked bulbs and sockets. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having a very similar problem and could also use some help:
My Lamps for Stop & Score and bonus 1 - 7 aren't working. I confirmed wiring is good from the lamps through to 1J7-8 (Yellow-Violet). Can't really figure out what's going on from there.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on how to test the output from pin 1J7-8 or checking U14 pin16?

Space Shuttle Scoring Light Issue (resized).jpgSpace Shuttle Scoring Light Issue (resized).jpg
#2727 4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm working on the flipper rebuild this weekend. I wanted to make sure I am understanding this correctly and have the right components.

Following Vid's guide where he mentions Shuttle I bought a full kit from PinballLife:
image (resized).pngimage (resized).png

Ended up with the following build (although ended up changing the coil stop to A-10821 per Terry at PBL.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

It looks like the coil install matches what Vid suggests, which has the terminals opposite the coil stop. The original coils are the "wrong" way. So, I should make sure to swap the wires (see illustration) to make sure the 28v power wire goes to the terminal with that hits the banded side of the diode.
Flipper Rebuild Wires (resized).jpgFlipper Rebuild Wires (resized).jpg

Thanks in advance from me and future Shuttle flipper upgraders.

#2728 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Hi all,
I'm working on the flipper rebuild this weekend. I wanted to make sure I am understanding this correctly and have the right components.
Following Vid's guide where he mentions Shuttle I bought a full kit from PinballLife:
[quoted image]
Ended up with the following build (although ended up changing the coil stop to A-10821 per Terry at PBL.
[quoted image]
It looks like the coil install matches what Vid suggests, which has the terminals opposite the coil stop. The original coils are the "wrong" way. So, I should make sure to swap the wires (see illustration) to make sure the 28v power wire goes to the terminal with that hits the banded side of the diode.
[quoted image]
Thanks in advance from me and future Shuttle flipper upgraders.

That's what I would do if I were me, thanks for posting. Probably Crossing this bridge myself one day.

#2729 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

That's what I would do if I were me, thanks for posting. Probably Crossing this bridge myself one day.

But you are you...right? And if you aren't you... Who the hell are you?

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

But you are you...

Not feeling like myself today.

#2731 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Not feeling like myself today.

Nothing a little can't solve.

Anybody else have an opinion on the plan?

#2732 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Nothing a little can't solve.
Anybody else have an opinion on the plan?

Hey you were right, just shot a 3 million plus game and starting to feel like my old self again.

#2733 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Hey you were right, just shot a 3 million plus game and starting to feel like my old self again.

Nice! I'm getting itchy to flip this shuttle.

#2734 4 years ago

Well, I got most things on but not totally down yet. Wanted to see the light show before I got the shuttle down. I'm pretty happy with the look.

Problem is that it won't start a game. When I hit the start button, it kicks through the shield, airlock, lock kickouts, and drop target locks, then does nothing. Doesn't use the credit or kick out a ball into the trough.

Is it supposed to run through all coils before ball kickout? If the pops don't fire, do I have a problem there?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6GkjjcbKvXBTozJo6

IMG_20200419_151515 (resized).jpgIMG_20200419_151515 (resized).jpg
#2735 4 years ago

Sounds like it is looking for a missing pinball.

#2736 4 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Sounds like it is looking for a missing pinball(s).

#2737 4 years ago

I kind of thought that, but they are all in there and I didn't mess with the trough or switches at all during the project.

Plus, I think it runs through all the coils so the drop targets are all up. So I assumed it is a startup thing.

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

I kind of thought that, but they are all in there and I didn't mess with the trough or switches at all during the project.
Plus, I think it runs through all the coils so the drop targets are all up. So I assumed it is a startup thing.

Could it be because I have the air lock installed wrong?

#2739 4 years ago

See if it registers all balls in trough in test

#2740 4 years ago

I would try checking the connector at ij8 on your bored , give it a wiggle make sure it's tight

#2741 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Well, I got most things on but not totally down yet. Wanted to see the light show before I got the shuttle down. I'm pretty happy with the look.
Problem is that it won't start a game. When I hit the start button, it kicks through the shield, airlock, lock kickouts, and drop target locks, then does nothing. Doesn't use the credit or kick out a ball into the trough.
Is it supposed to run through all coils before ball kickout? If the pops don't fire, do I have a problem there?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6GkjjcbKvXBTozJo6[quoted image]

Well you knew it was going to be something. At least you've got the light show, which may I add

#2742 4 years ago

Looks great, even if it isn't working... Lol. Does sound like it's looking for a ball imo

#2743 4 years ago

Or, you actually make sure your wires are connected...

I found this little guy hanging off the leftmost ball trough switch. Anyone know where it goes or have a pic?

I'll get the rest of this stuff tightened down while I wait....

IMG_20200419_214004 (resized).jpgIMG_20200419_214004 (resized).jpg
#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Or, you actually make sure your wires are connected...
I found this little guy hanging off the leftmost ball trough switch. Anyone know where it goes or have a pic?
I'll get the rest of this stuff tightened down while I wait.... [quoted image]

If this is the only one you're chasing down consider yourself lucky. This picture should help, looks like it goes to the other switch in the trough. Good luck

20200312_215953 (resized).jpg20200312_215953 (resized).jpg
#2745 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

If this is the only one you're chasing down consider yourself lucky. This picture should help, looks like it goes to the other switch in the trough. Good luck[quoted image]

We shall see! Thank you Apinjunkie for the help. I've got an hour and twenty minutes to meet my goal of flipping by the weekend.

#2746 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

We shall see! Thank you apinjunkie for the help. I've got an hour and twenty minutes to meet my goal of flipping by the weekend.

So it turns out that ALL the wires have to be connected. Huh. What a hobby! Thanks ya'll.

IMG_20200419_230854 (resized).jpgIMG_20200419_230854 (resized).jpg
#2747 4 years ago

One more look with mood lighting. Technically I flipped a game last night but I still have to get a lot of things adjusted. The flippers are great! Super strong and tight.

IMG_20200419_231013 (resized).jpgIMG_20200419_231013 (resized).jpg
#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

One more look with mood lighting. Technically I flipped a game last night but I still have to get a lot of things adjusted. The flippers are great! Super strong and tight.[quoted image]

Man that thing is looking good, cant wait to come over and set the high score on it

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

One more look with mood lighting. Technically I flipped a game last night but I still have to get a lot of things adjusted. The flippers are great! Super strong and tight.[quoted image]

Sure looks like all your hard work paid off. Really nice-looking ride. Lights Under the ramp are really impressive

#2750 4 years ago

That really does look great. It's got me rethinking my lighting under the ramp. Damn you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 4,496 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/55?hl=misterhare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.