(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 90.
#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

[quoted image]

Perfect, thank you so much.

#2653 4 years ago

Not as much progress as I had hoped for today. I used a can of Varathane brand (Rust-oleum) water-based poly but I hadn't really applied a urethane before. I think I just went way too light for many many "coats" and didn't really get a better sense of what I should be doing until I talked with mrm_4 and got a better sense of what to look for.

About 1.5 cans later, I'm still not where I want to be. I'm hoping I can hit it one more time with 400 grit sandpaper and try to lay a final smooth layer down.

The horror!
IMG_20200404_175827 (resized).jpgIMG_20200404_175827 (resized).jpg

In other news, I bought the 5lb Harbor Freight tumbler to shine up the metal. Anybody have any good recommendations for a tumbling thread. Please tell me there is a whole Vid's Guide for that...

#2654 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Not as much progress as I had hoped for today. I used a can of Varathane brand (Rust-oleum) water-based poly but I hadn't really applied a urethane before. I think I just went way too light for many many "coats" and didn't really get a better sense of what I should be doing until I talked with mrm_4 and got a better sense of what to look for.
About 1.5 cans later, I'm still not where I want to be. I'm hoping I can hit it one more time with 400 grit sandpaper and try to lay a final smooth layer down.
The horror!
[quoted image]
In other news, I bought the 5lb Harbor Freight tumbler to shine up the metal. Anybody have any good recommendations for a tumbling thread. Please tell me there is a whole Vid's Guide for that...

I was ending up with similar results using rattle can clear on my high speed shooter lane. It was really, really pissing me off. I kept getting fisheyes and imperfections that were driving me insane.

What worked for me was wiping down with naptha BETWEEN coats of clear. Maybe that helps you, maybe it doesn't. But it saved my ass. Be careful with your coats, don't get too heavy or you'll have to sand it out--assuming you even can.

I hate clear. I sprayed one test coat on some inserts and said F THAT. Ended up high polishing and calling it a day. Clear sucks.

Hang in there, don't get discouraged!

IMG_20191211_154104 (resized).jpgIMG_20191211_154104 (resized).jpgIMG_20200302_174135 (resized).jpgIMG_20200302_174135 (resized).jpgIMG_20200304_145822 (resized).jpgIMG_20200304_145822 (resized).jpgIMG_20200307_181328 (resized).jpgIMG_20200307_181328 (resized).jpg
#2655 4 years ago

I really recommend applying a sanding sealer over any wood areas you’ve sanded before clearing. It really helps prevent fisheyes. I applied it on the shooter lane and the under apron area of my mostly sanded bare playfield. The lane and under apron area look great, all the other bare wood areas that will be covered by the hardtop had some fisheyes going on. I’ll see if I can grab some pics before I attach the hardtop.

#2656 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

How about a close up of that Lander you have tucked in the corner.

Forgot to take my own close up, but here's what it is:

http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth/space/apollo-lunar-module

Got mine from the gift shop at the Kalamazoo Air & Space museum a few years ago. It's a great kit. But I had nowhere ideal to display it, until I realized "hey it might fit in my pinball machine that honors the space program..."

In other news I think it's happy with the new ramp. I completely blew it up tonight
20200404_234533_1.gif20200404_234533_1.gif

#2657 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Great looking ride! The ramp of course, and what you've done with the lighting is outstanding. digging the red white blue in the pops and inserts By the Drop targets. Even the reflections off that speaker plate are amazing, is that your machine serial number on that plate?

#2658 4 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Forgot to take my own close up, but here's what it is:
http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth/space/apollo-lunar-module
Got mine from the gift shop at the Kalamazoo Air & Space museum a few years ago. It's a great kit. But I had nowhere really appropriate to display it, then resized "hey it might fit in this pinball machine that honors the space program, oops..."
I think it's happy with the new ramp. I completely blew it up tonight [quoted image]

what’s the details on that nasa speaker grill

#2659 4 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

what’s the details on that nasa speaker grill

I designed and had them made a few years ago; sold about 20 or so in two batches. I had a really hard time getting the price down because stainless steel and machine time were not cheap... 3 shops in three states were all about the same price, and shipping alone was $25! So they were about $150 shipped (I might have managed a little less on the 2nd run).

I may have one or two left... PM for details.

EDIT: forgot to answer, yes that's my machine's specific SN on the plate For the first run, I gave buyers the option to include that, and even a choice of "speaker graphic" flanking the NASA logo. But that became a real bear to track and correct at the factory job level, so the second batch was all generic with no SN.

#2660 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

I have 1 data point to share, for my topside Cirqus Voltaire restoration. I was happy with the results: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-cv-playfield-restoration

Harbor Freight 5 lb tumbler: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Walnut hull media: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063GTFXS

Flitz green tumbler media additive: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7JWN4

Then, to sift out the tiny fasteners, I used one of my kids' sand toy sieves.

For large parts, Nevr Dull Magic Wadding: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000QGZXCS

Clean off polished parts with alcohol & rag.

Words of wisdom that I learned the hard way:
1. Large-ish items with sharp corners will chew holes through the wall of the plastic bowl.
2. Large-ish items that stay in contact with the bowl's central shaft will be marred or gouged.

Good luck!

Thanks,
-Jason
20171210_230056 (resized).jpg20171210_230056 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_110124 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_110124 (resized).jpg

#2661 4 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

I have 1 data point to share, for my topside Cirqus Voltaire restoration. I was happy with the results: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cirqus-voltaire-cv-playfield-restoration
Harbor Freight 5 lb tumbler: https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html
Walnut hull media: amazon.com link »
Flitz green tumbler media additive: amazon.com link »
Then, to sift out the tiny fasteners, I used one of my kids' sand toy sieves.
For large parts, Nevr Dull Magic Wadding: amazon.com link »
Clean off polished parts with alcohol & rag.
Words of wisdom that I learned the hard way:
1. Large-ish items with sharp corners will chew holes through the wall of the plastic bowl.
2. Large-ish items that stay in contact with the bowl's central shaft will be marred or gouged.
Good luck!
Thanks,
-Jason
[quoted image][quoted image]

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

#2662 4 years ago

Here's what things looked like today.
IMG_20200405_124357 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_124357 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200405_124403 (resized).jpgIMG_20200405_124403 (resized).jpg

Still not ideal. Plus, the inserts I was trying to fix still show the "stretch marks". I'm thinking I should just sand off all this poly on the inserts, do another wet sand pass and live with it. I'd rather have 1-2 uglyish inserts than all these inserts ghosting at some point.

I'll also try to do one more flat sand and spray on the shooter lane, so to give one more go. Then, I'm gonna just get this hard top going so I can do the funner stuff.

For those who cleared/poly'd, how long did you wait to lay down the hard top?

#2663 4 years ago

That looks about like mine did as I was building it up. It got progressively more shiny. *I* think you're going fine, but I'm definitely no expert (faaaaar from it)

As for curing, I've heard 1-2 weeks and I've heard it's fine when it stops giving off fumes. I'd err on the side of caution, personally. I didn't wait since so I did was the shooter lane.. Probably should have. *shrug*

#2664 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Here's what things looked like today.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Still not ideal. Plus, the inserts I was trying to fix still show the "stretch marks". I'm thinking I should just sand off all this poly on the inserts, do another wet sand pass and live with it. I'd rather have 1-2 uglyish inserts than all these inserts ghosting at some point.
I'll also try to do one more flat sand and spray on the shooter lane, so to give one more go. Then, I'm gonna just get this hard top going so I can do the funner stuff.
For those who cleared/poly'd, how long did you wait to lay down the hard top?

It will turn out fine. Just let the clear cure for a couple of weeks before sanding and laying on the hardtop. Been there - done it.

#2665 4 years ago

Had some extra parts, and some extra time over the weekend,(apparently too much time.) So I installed a set of comet optimax Amber/ Orange LEDs in my dog. Maybe too bright, but the squirrels don't stand a chance at night now.

20200304_154130 (resized).jpg20200304_154130 (resized).jpg
#2666 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Had some extra parts, and some extra time over the weekend,(apparently too much time.) So I installed a set of comet optimax Amber/ Orange LEDs in my dog. Maybe too bright, but the squirrels don't stand a chance at night now.[quoted image]

Will there be a corresponding how-to guide?

#2667 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Will there be a corresponding how-to guide?

LOL, didn't think to document the process as I was doing it. The trick is peanut butter as a distraction when you're doing the actual install and you definitely want to use wedge style instead of bayonets with as hyper as this dog is.

#2668 4 years ago

What if you have to flip the bulb though.......

You really didn't think this through!

#2669 4 years ago

What if you have to flip the bulb though.......
You really didn't think this through!

I'm still kind of a noob... Learning as I go.

#2670 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

It will turn out fine. Just let the clear cure for a couple of weeks before sanding and laying on the hardtop. Been there - done it.

Couple weeks!

I'm getting super impatient. All the other parts came in!!! Oh well, I guess I can work on getting other things cleaned/ready. Gotta solder diodes onto the new pop bumper sockets, etc.

What does everyone think about abandoning clear on the middle inserts and sanding it off? I don't think I have enough in my rattle can to do inserts and shooter lane and I really don't want to buy a third can. That's $33 I can't get back. Stupid.

#2671 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Couple weeks!
I'm getting super impatient. All the other parts came in!!! Oh well, I guess I can work on getting other things cleaned/ready. Gotta solder diodes onto the new pop bumper sockets, etc.
What does everyone think about abandoning clear on the middle inserts and sanding it off? I don't think I have enough in my rattle can to do inserts and shooter lane and I really don't want to buy a third can. That's $33 I can't get back. Stupid.

That's why I opted for polish, lol

#2672 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

MurphyPeoples do you think I should sand off the clear on the inserts and just focus on the shooter lane? The poly I have really doesn't apply very well.

#2673 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

murphypeoples do you think I should sand off the clear on the inserts and just focus on the shooter lane? The poly I have really doesn't apply very well.

Imo sand them down--carefully--and start high polishing, so long as the inserts are in good shape. But I'm just one vote!

#2674 4 years ago

OR finish clearing just that center area and polish the rest

#2675 4 years ago

Imo sand them down--carefully--and start high polishing, so long as the inserts are in good shape. But I'm just one vote!

I'm with KSU on this one, sand them and move on. I chose to Simply sand and polish mine because I knew the waiting game between coats especially working in Minnesota in February in an unheated Studio would be too much for me to handle. It also sounds like you may not be getting the desired effect when it's all over anyway and like you said in an earlier post,"you got it to play it". Good luck,whichever way you go with it.

#2676 4 years ago

I'm sure there's some technical reason why my space shuttle hard top (cleared inserts) "IS" better than my high speed hard top (polished inserts) but I can't tell the difference. Go with whatever makes you happy. Clear sucks unless you have proper equipment and a booth and know what you're doing.. Imo

#2677 4 years ago

So for me during the hardtop build I wasn't waiting for paint to dry, I was waiting on parts. One of the things I did while waiting ,that I wasn't going to do ,was touch up the spinner Target. I used testors enamels, as I had those on hand, and figured they would hold up over the Long Haul pretty good. Unfortunately now that the machine is back together, I noticed wear on the spinner after less than 50 plays. :(Fail.Curious if anyone has any tips, tricks or suggestions as to what might be a good paint or process to use on The Spinner.

20200316_000212 (resized).jpg20200316_000212 (resized).jpg20200315_153413 (resized).jpg20200315_153413 (resized).jpg20200316_000303 (resized).jpg20200316_000303 (resized).jpg20200315_153459 (resized).jpg20200315_153459 (resized).jpg20200408_145311 (resized).jpg20200408_145311 (resized).jpg
#2678 4 years ago

Maybe it needed cleared? Tbh that thing is going to be rocking so much if you're going for big points, no one will notice!

#2679 4 years ago

Maybe it needed cleared?

I tried testors clear coat applied after the paint had set for 2 days and it ate right through what I had already laid down, cleaned it up and repainted without the clear coat and now this. I can sure live with it, I just don't really want to.

#2680 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I tried testors clear coat applied after the paint had set for 2 days and it ate right through what I had already laid down, cleaned it up and repainted without the clear coat and now this. I can sure live with it, I just don't really want to.

Damn! That sucks. I hate to even suggest it, but it's there a vinyl sticker that exists? Not sure if it would hold up better or not, just a thought

#2681 4 years ago

Damn! That sucks. I hate to even suggest it, but it's there a vinyl sticker that exists? Not sure if it would hold up better or not, just a thought

I give it a shot if I could find any of those out there

#2682 4 years ago

Quick update to those who PM'd: I finally found time to dig in my storage bunker and found the 2 speaker panels left from the last run. But they're packed and sealed, I'll have to open and confirm condition / variant, but have more pressing matters. I'll respond to PMs in order I received them once I know for sure what I have. There's a handful more PMs than the two panels I have, but I'm afraid not enough to commission another run.

#2683 4 years ago

For spinners I touch up, like you did, or print my own decals for I “laminate” them with adhesive Mylar (or even “heavy duty” clear packing tape.) I do the same with drop target decals. They’ve survived thousands of plays this way.

Quoted from Apinjunkie:

So for me during the hardtop build I wasn't waiting for paint to dry, I was waiting on parts. One of the things I did while waiting ,that I wasn't going to do ,was touch up the spinner Target. I used testors enamels, as I had those on hand, and figured they would hold up over the Long Haul pretty good. Unfortunately now that the machine is back together, I noticed wear on the spinner after less than 50 plays. :(Fail.Curious if anyone has any tips, tricks or suggestions as to what might be a good paint or process to use on The Spinner.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#2684 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

For spinners I touch up, like you did, or print my own decals for I “laminate” them with adhesive Mylar (or even “heavy duty” clear packing tape.) I do the same with drop target decals. They’ve survived thousands of plays this way.

Thanks Art, great tip. I think I'll give the mylar a shot.

#2685 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I give it a shot if I could find any of those out there

I will probably sand the inserts down tomorrow and then I'm only 5-7 days from hard top!

Thanks, everyone.

#2686 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

So for me during the hardtop build I wasn't waiting for paint to dry, I was waiting on parts. One of the things I did while waiting ,that I wasn't going to do ,was touch up the spinner Target. I used testors enamels, as I had those on hand, and figured they would hold up over the Long Haul pretty good. Unfortunately now that the machine is back together, I noticed wear on the spinner after less than 50 plays. :(Fail.Curious if anyone has any tips, tricks or suggestions as to what might be a good paint or process to use on The Spinner.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

maybe try a piece of mylar over it.

#2687 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

I will probably sand the inserts down tomorrow and then I'm only 5-7 days from hard top!
Thanks, everyone.

Fuck it. Let's do this today!

IMG_20200411_211535_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20200411_211535_01 (resized).jpg
#2688 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Fuck it. Let's do this today![quoted image]

Oh hell yeah. Get you some!

#2689 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

There's stickers out there for the spinner. I picked some up at one of the vendors at the last show in Allentown I was to. Haven't installed them yet though. Cost like $5 or so & look great on paper.

#2690 4 years ago
Quoted from DorkInAbox:

There's stickers out there for the spinner. I picked some up at one of the vendors at the last show in Allentown I was to. Haven't installed them yet though. Cost like $5 or so & look great on paper.

Good to know, I figured someone must be making these. Do you have contact information for that vendor?

#2691 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Good to know, I figured someone must be making these. Do you have contact information for that vendor?

I got this set from action pinball
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG397

They also have everything separate, since you don't need targets.

Screenshot_20200412-120603 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200412-120603 (resized).png
#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

I got this set from action pinball
http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=PDG397
They also have everything separate, since you don't need targets.[quoted image]

Thanks, that helps a bunch. How goes the fight?

#2693 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Thanks, that helps a bunch. How goes the fight?

Me versus 40 years of grime. I'll win the day, just need more time!

IMG_20200412_163117 (resized).jpgIMG_20200412_163117 (resized).jpg
#2694 4 years ago

Anybody have a shot of this loose yellow wire near the drop target bank? I'm pretty sure it's daisy-chained to the next light bulb but I'm not sure if it goes on the terminal with a diode or not a diode.

IMG_20200412_212910 (resized).jpgIMG_20200412_212910 (resized).jpg
#2695 4 years ago

I got your back, looks like the non diode lug

20200412_205604 (resized).jpg20200412_205604 (resized).jpg
#2696 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I got your back, looks like the non diode lug[quoted image]

Thanks, man! That does make sense since there is nothing going to that terminal otherwise but I appreciate you taking that time.

#2697 4 years ago

Progress, part by part.

Apinjunkie I see you installed two-sided lane guides up top for the USA lanes. It's that what was standard? I have all one-sided but that may be a result of the machines long history on route.

IMG_20200414_184501 (resized).jpgIMG_20200414_184501 (resized).jpg
#2698 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Progress, part by part.
apinjunkie I see you installed two-sided lane guides up top for the USA lanes. It's that what was standard? I have all one-sided but that may be a result of the machines long history on route.[quoted image]

I believe only the centers were double-sided originally. when I decided to go with blue all that was available was double sided, they still work, but a pain in the ass to get the rubbers under them on the right and left side.

#2699 4 years ago

Those purple LEDs are going to look awesome under that shuttle ramp. It's looking pretty nice, especially like the clear star posts down by the Flipz. Nice work.

#2700 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Those purple LEDs are going to look awesome under that shuttle ramp. It's looking pretty nice, especially like the clear star posts down by the Flipz. Nice work.

Just copying you all! I'm pumped to get it'll lit up (after all the thought put into it).

Thanks on the guides info. It looks like Marcos has single sided. I'll see how it plays. The guides I have are BEAT! They may break and make the decision for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 54 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/54 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.