(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,495 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Pinkitten
  • Topic is favorited by 150 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1583 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240422_205151828.jpg
IMG_2045 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8570 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1976 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1584 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1586 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9366 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9367 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9370 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9373 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9371 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240402_182055_eBay (resized).jpg
20240401_124145 (resized).jpg
20240401_123937 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 90.
#2551 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Finally took my machine off the pavers I've had it sitting on in the back.. Got sick of constant rapid drains. Feels good to finally post some 1M+ scores.. It had been a while!
Side note: really don't like these rottendog displays. Bleh.

Don't they have filters so you can't see the segments?

#2552 4 years ago

What actually goes in the coin door for the cost?
The 25c plates are broken out and i'm not sure what the replacement part looks like or is.

#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

What actually goes in the coin door for the cost?
The 25c plates are broken out and i'm not sure what the replacement part looks like or is.

Good question, mine were missing also.

#2554 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Don't they have filters so you can't see the segments?

Maybe. I'm not sure. I bought it this way or I'd have bought Xpin. I bought Xpin displays on my high speed and I absolutely love them.

#2555 4 years ago

In regards to inserts.... I was very intimidated as I have never replaced,removed ,sanded or polished anything insert before this project. Fortunately vids guide to Playfield restoration put my mind at ease and covered every aspect very thoroughly. In the end I still had to go to two different sources to get all the inserts for my project( pinball life and Marcos). The hot dogs were the biggest pain, as no one had the original Style shuttle inserts (much thicker and darker then what's available now). I ended up with what Marcos had available but feared Hardware ,lights, sockets excetera would be visible through the lighter red. Once installed I found that was exactly the case. Fortunately, a redneck remedy, I added a piece of tail light tape under the Playfield, Eureka moment as it hides the hardware, darkens the inserts and the red pulses are as bright as they were with the original inserts. Also while I was at it I shuffled the white out lane bonus insert to the 20000 bonus spot. With a few carefully placed LEDs, white, yellow, orange, red left to right the shuttle bonus now reads like an intensity meter. Darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.

20200303_220814 (resized).jpg20200303_220814 (resized).jpg20200328_100405 (resized).jpg20200328_100405 (resized).jpg20200316_214154 (resized).jpg20200316_214154 (resized).jpg
#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

In regards to inserts.... I was very intimidated as I have never replaced,removed ,sanded or polished anything insert before this project. Fortunately vids guide to Playfield restoration put my mind at ease and covered every aspect very thoroughly. In the end I still had to go to two different sources to get all the inserts for my project( pinball life and Marcos). The hot dogs were the biggest pain, as no one had the original Style shuttle inserts (much thicker and darker then what's available now). I ended up with what Marcos had available but feared Hardware ,lights, sockets excetera would be visible through the lighter red. Once installed I found that was exactly the case. Fortunately, a redneck remedy, I added a piece of tail light tape under the Playfield, Eureka moment as it hides the hardware, darkens the inserts and the red pulses are as bright as they were with the original inserts. Also while I was at it I shuffled the white out lane bonus insert to the 20000 bonus spot. With a few carefully placed LEDs, white, yellow, orange, red left to right the shuttle bonus now reads like an intensity meter. Darker the berry, the sweeter the juice.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#2557 4 years ago

@apinjunkie I know I told you I wouldn’t be copying your insert ideas but, damn that looks so good! I LOVE the intensity meter! I was replacing the white “Lite Outlanes” insert and it’s location between all the yellows kept bugging me. Your solution really nails it.
It looks like I’ll by flattering you with some imitation

#2558 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

@apinjunkie I know I told you I wouldn’t be copying your insert ideas but, damn that looks so good! I LOVE the intensity meter! I was replacing the white “Lite Outlanes” insert and it’s location between all the yellows kept bugging me. Your solution really nails it.
It looks like I’ll by flattering you with some imitation

Glad you're liking those Art, that worked out well. I especially like the way they look in attract mode. Honestly, they take a little getting used to during gameplay. My brain is still wired to respond to that white light as if its the outlane bonus. I guess I'll just have to play more to get used to it, great work if you can get it.

#2559 4 years ago

Out of curiosity, why are you guys messing with inserts? I thought for a hardtop you could sand and clear coat them, or sand and polish them.

#2560 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

Out of curiosity, why are you guys messing with inserts? I thought for a hardtop you could sand and clear coat them, or sand and polish them.

You're absolutely right in that you could simply prep and hardtop. For me I simply wanted to mix up the color scheme, more as a personal preference then out of necessity. With the exception of the hot dog insert, once those were sanded and Polished what I had hoped was a surface crack actually ran through the center of the whole piece. Similarly, the large clear triangle insert ,even after polishing wasn't up to Snuff. I figured even if it meant waiting for parts again better to get everything to your liking before the hardtop goes down or your stuck with it like that forever.

#2561 4 years ago

I bought a bunch of white inserts in case the array between the slingshots don’t look bright white enough once I sand off the yellowed topcoat they currently have. I also bought the hot dogs because I’ve restored a few playfields with severely dished or cracked hot dogs. Once I sand/polish I’ll judge what, if anything, gets changed. Before the hardtop they’ll be sprayed with PPG 2PAC so I’m sure they’ll be glossy enough.
I helped a friend with his hardtop and we used rattle can clear over the original inserts, they still look great. And I’ve played an early hardtopped Space Shuttle that only had polished, not cleared inserts. It looked great to me too.
Basically, no real need to mess with inserts at all.

#2562 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

You're absolutely right in that you could simply prep and hardtop. For me I simply wanted to mix up the color scheme, more as a personal preference then out of necessity. With the exception of the hot dog insert, once those were sanded and Polished what I had hoped was a surface crack actually ran through the center of the whole piece. Similarly, the large clear triangle insert ,even after polishing wasn't up to Snuff. I figured even if it meant waiting for parts again better to get everything to your liking before the hardtop goes down or your stuck with it like that forever.

Bold move swapping those out for a different scheme but I do like it. But as you said, too late for those inserts now

#2563 4 years ago

Side note: really don't like these rottendog displays. Bleh.

With the back glass looking as sweet as that does my eyes are drawn right to the artwork and mirrored borders. What is it you're not liking about the displays?

#2564 4 years ago

Two issues, both of which could probably be solved by throwing a bit more money at it:

-GI light bleed around them; I probably need to buy some foam gaskets ($15 or so I believe).
-Not a fan of how much the outline of the numbers shows through; I'm assuming a $10 display masking kit, or some transparent black vinyl, will help.

Ultimately it's 'only' $25, but my Xpin displays came with all this stuff. Just annoying that these apparently did not.

Screenshot_20200329-084912 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200329-084912 (resized).jpgAttach12217_20190907_213438 (resized).jpgAttach12217_20190907_213438 (resized).jpg
#2565 4 years ago

Two issues, both of which could probably be solved by throwing a bit more money at it:
-GI light bleed around them; I probably need to buy some foam gaskets ($15 or so I believe).
-Not a fan of how much the outline of the numbers shows through; I'm assuming a $10 display masking kit, or some transparent black vinyl, will help.
Ultimately it's 'only' $25, but my Xpin displays came with all this stuff. Just annoying that these apparently did not.[quoted image][quoted image]

Makes more sense in close-up, high-speed look sweet by the way

#2566 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Makes more sense in close-up, high-speed look sweet by the way

That was the before picture!

IMG_20200325_164828 (resized).jpgIMG_20200325_164828 (resized).jpg
#2567 4 years ago

That was the before picture![quoted image]

Diggin that ghostly look you gave the cops.

#2568 4 years ago

Back the blue, amiright? Suspect got away.

#2569 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yeah that'll definitely make a difference.
Personally, I don't like the idea of rewarding an Extra Ball for a score milestone; that just further skews the high scores even further in favor of more advanced players. Since a Replay has no value in Free Play settings, your reward for a score milestone is the rush of hearing that sweet, sweet knocker and knowing you're having an awesome game!
For the Special, I have my home games set to award Points (when they can be). Think about it ... you definitely completed some specific action/sequence to earn that Special so you SHOULD get rewarded. But again, a Replay has no value in Free Play. Since there's generally a separate way to earn an extra ball, then the most logical prize in this scenario is Points.
Anyway, those are just my preferences. You do you -- go find out what happens if you roll it!

Thanks for the kick in the ass, I reset the high scores and dialed everything back to the original Factory presets, except for I'm still shooting five balls. Set up like this, it really forces you to work the whole table to set up the money shots. Got to admit, points that come with the special now are a lot more rewarding than I thought they were going to be. I think I'll be sticking with these settings for a while. Again thanks for the push.

#2570 4 years ago

We just started our first hardtop install today. I'm lucky to have an experienced assistant.

20200329_151355 (resized).jpg20200329_151355 (resized).jpg
#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

We just started our first hardtop install today. I'm lucky to have an experienced assistant.[quoted image]

That's awesome! Looks like you're bringing him up right.

#2572 4 years ago

Nice! Enjoy the process together!

#2573 4 years ago

Nice! Enjoy the process together!

Thanks! He has done 10 or so topside tear downs on his own. He started working on pinball when he was 11yrs old. Honestly, he has many more hours working on pinball than I do. This will be our first joint project. I am looking forward to the process.

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

Thanks! He has done 10 or so topside tear downs on his own. He started working on pinball when he was 11yrs old. Honestly, he has many more hours working on pinball than I do. This will be our first joint project. I am looking forward to the process.

Impressive. I've torn down...uh... One playfield. Lol

#2575 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaeg:

He has done 10 or so topside tear downs on his own.

Is he a picture taker? I cannot imagine shopping out games without pics at this point.

#2576 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Thanks for the kick in the ass, I reset the high scores and dialed everything back to the original Factory presets, except for I'm still shooting five balls. Set up like this, it really forces you to work the whole table to set up the money shots. Got to admit, points that come with the special now are a lot more rewarding than I thought they were going to be. I think I'll be sticking with these settings for a while. Again thanks for the push.

You're welcome! (?) Glad you like the new settings. Mine's on five ball too, as mine plays very fast and can be brutal, so five gives people a chance, lol

#2577 4 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of the bell wiring? It's all cut off on my machine. Thanks

#2578 4 years ago
18023DBD-2FCB-4A2D-9761-03FEB0F8BB67 (resized).jpeg18023DBD-2FCB-4A2D-9761-03FEB0F8BB67 (resized).jpeg
#2579 4 years ago

So after driving the machine around the block a few times this weekend I noticed an issue I've never had before the hard top install. the plunger is now seated just a little bit below the Playfield maybe an eighth of an inch. And maybe three of the 10 games I played I had instances where the ball would pop up over the plunger and flippers I, in the 25 years prior that never happened. I'm curious if anyone knows if there is a simple way to adjust the plunger height while it is still installed or if I need to pull that completely out? Or maybe I've got my flippers too low , they're not rubbing the Playfield but maybe just got replaced a little lower than they had been in the past.

20200318_140231 (resized).jpg20200318_140231 (resized).jpg
#2580 4 years ago

Yes, you can adjust it. Depending how tight yours is, you may need loosen that nut. Then just turn it counter clockwise until it is even with the hardtop playfield.

#2581 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Yes, you can adjust it. Depending how tight yours is, you may need loosen that nut. Then just turn it counter clockwise until it is even with the hardtop playfield.

Thanks, wrenching on it now I'll give that a shot

#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Thanks, wrenching on it now I'll give that a shot

That was the ticket, thanks again. Made for an easy fix.

#2583 4 years ago

Here's an added benefit of clear pop bumper skirts. So we all get it's essential that the tip of the skirt be dead center of the spoon, to get the most out of your pops. That can often be difficult to tell even if your nose is pressed right up next to it. With the clear skirts, if you backlight them they act like a big fiber optic, carrying the light right to the tip,which in turn ,points like a spotlight right through the spoon taking the guesswork out of where that tip is actually touching.
Pic shows tip is hare to the right

20200318_155729 (resized).jpg20200318_155729 (resized).jpg
#2584 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Here's an added benefit of clear pop bumper skirts. So we all get it's essential that the tip of the skirt be dead center of the spoon, to get the most out of your pops. That can often be difficult to tell even if your nose is pressed right up next to it. With the clear skirts, if you backlight them they act like a big fiber optic, carrying the light right to the tip,which in turn ,points like a spotlight right through the spoon taking the guesswork out of where that tip is actually touching.
Pic shows tip is hare to the right[quoted image]

Oh my, that's a good suggestion. I've been really struggling to get these high speed pops set right.. I'll give that a try!

#2585 4 years ago

Got the new clear ramp from Starship Fantasy installed. Looks amazing!!!
IMG_20200330_183932 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_183932 (resized).jpg

Also, anyone know which diode is on the pop bumpers?

#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

[quoted image]

Ahahaha, looks great!

#2587 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

[quoted image]

20200330_194705 (resized).jpg20200330_194705 (resized).jpg
#2588 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

[quoted image]

Apinjunkie thanks but I should have been more specific. My bad. I'm looking for the diode on the pop lamp socket. I just ended up pulling the insulation off and saw the diode is a 4001. It looks like a 4004 should also do the job.

KSUWildcatFan Did you use red GI LEDs to achieve the red look in the lock shots? I was hoping to steal that idea as well.

#2589 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Did you use red GI LEDs to achieve the red look in the lock shots? I was hoping to steal that idea as well.

Here's what worked for me to light the lock Lanes. I mounted a strip of stainless steel along side the rail and then attached a red 10 led strip from comet along the top of that. I found it keeps the light from bleeding out and under the Plastics. It also gives a mirrored backdrop for your GI lighting that's on the right of the lock Channel. I then added a white comment star post light under the actual lock mechanism. Rather than using the GI (always on)I tied both of those into the lock light so that they flash in time with the feature.

20200322_205821 (resized).jpg20200322_205821 (resized).jpg20200312_163447 (resized).jpg20200312_163447 (resized).jpg20200312_224432 (resized).jpg20200312_224432 (resized).jpg20200303_222211 (resized).jpg20200303_222211 (resized).jpg
#2590 4 years ago

Apinjunkie that Space Shuttle is next-level! I'm thinking about getting two of these in red and flexing it into the lock area:

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1flux-flex?variant=12386962866220

Welp, nevermind. They are out of red right now.

Maybe I can use these on either side of the lock and flex them that way? Do I need non-ghosting, or would regular be fine?

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1smd-flex-non-ghosting?variant=12386970009644

Finally, does anybody know what the difference between purple and purple passion is on the lights???

#2591 4 years ago

You don't necessarily need non ghosting lights, just depends what you can live with. The one drawback to the LED strips and their pop lights is that they do tend to flicker a little bit when in attract mode, but not enough to bother me even a little bit. used a number of their Flex lights in different spots and in my opinion they just don't throw as much light as some of their others. They do make a double Flex head if you want to milk a little more light out of the setup. Seems there's a lot of options around that lock Channel if you're borrowing from the GI, although the two at the top nearest lock mechanism might be good to draw from as they don't seem to offer as much towards actually Illuminating the Playfield.

20200327_090757 (resized).jpg20200327_090757 (resized).jpg
#2592 4 years ago

Finally, does anybody know what the difference between purple and purple passion is on the lights???

If you go with purple passion you may need a cigarette after looking at them

#2593 4 years ago

It looks like Purple Passion has a purple cap, so the color is deeper...aaaaaaaaand...that's what she said!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2594 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

It looks like Purple Passion has a purple cap, so the color is deeper...aaaaaaaaand...that's what she said![quoted image]

I'm rolling with a purple passion bulb in the center 'scope' insert on my F14. I wasn't that impressed with the standard purple (frosted) 2SMD.
Screenshot_20200330-020809 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200330-020809 (resized).jpg

Purple flipper rubbers to boot!

IMG_20200327_215311 (resized).jpgIMG_20200327_215311 (resized).jpg
#2595 4 years ago

Passion in the center! Love it.

Since I got the clear ramp I am going to try Passion Purple under the Shuttle ramp and blue under the award ramp. The comet order is placed so we'll see how it looks and go from there.

I also took mrm_4 's advice and did the progressive naptha wet sane shuffle for the inserts. My gloves were toast by the end but I did 400, 600, 1200, 1500 and 2000 grits. If everyone goes to bed tonight I will hit them with Novus 2 and see how it looks in the light tomorrow. Here is post naptha wipe.
IMG_20200331_155911 (resized).jpgIMG_20200331_155911 (resized).jpg

I also went pretty aggressive on the filthy shooter lane and ended up hitting two screws. Oops. I backed them off and filled with JB Kwikwood. I hope to clean everything off in the next day or two and line up the Hard Top. I will need to hit the shooter and open/visible spots with clear too.

Oops holes:
IMG_20200330_151458 (resized).jpgIMG_20200330_151458 (resized).jpg

Thanks, all, for your help!

#2596 4 years ago

I’m right there with you! I started with removing all the triangle inserts, sanding them flat then resetting them. Just about every playfield I’ve restored has had issues with these popping up at the tip. Most of mine were that way, I definitely did not want any coming up under the hardtop.
I then sanded to 320 grit. I received my hardtop a couple of hours ago so I was able to check the alignment. Looks pretty good! Tomorrow I’ll paint in some of the areas that will appear bare through hardtop holes then follow up with PPG 2PAC clear. I hope to adhere the hardtop next week, once the clear has cured sufficiently.

ED3949B4-8E91-4801-AC9C-BC43B8BC1097 (resized).jpegED3949B4-8E91-4801-AC9C-BC43B8BC1097 (resized).jpeg88DB225A-8630-486B-8928-1C010DACA4A3 (resized).jpeg88DB225A-8630-486B-8928-1C010DACA4A3 (resized).jpeg
#2597 4 years ago

Those look great guys it's nice to see the progress. Although just looking at those pictures makes my wrists hurt.

#2598 4 years ago

Ha! You have no idea... I severely broke my left wrist on Feb 4th, had surgery (8 screws!! I’m bionic!) on Feb 7th. Been away from pinball ever since. Just last week my physical therapist added 2 lb weights to my workout AND a hammer for one of the exercises. I figure if I’m allowed to hold a hammer I can definitely hold a sander. So I ordered the ramp and the hardtop and awaaaay we go!

#2599 4 years ago

Loving the progress pics guys. Keep it up!

#2600 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Passion in the center! Love it.
Since I got the clear ramp I am going to try Passion Purple under the Shuttle ramp and blue under the award ramp. The comet order is placed so we'll see how it looks and go from there.

I went really tame with my lighting. 2SMD warm all the way around under the ramp EXCEPT for the main entrance, where I used two UV lenseless bulbs from comet. I love it. I liked the blue 2SMDs but hoooooly crap it was blinding, even with just those two at the entrance.
IMG_20200319_002532 (resized).jpgIMG_20200319_002532 (resized).jpgIMG_20200323_124607 (resized).jpgIMG_20200323_124607 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_211618 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_211618 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,495 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/52?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.