(Topic ID: 75438)

Space Shuttle crew members' club - prepare for liftoff!

By E_N_3

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,473 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 hours ago by gutz
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball gate (resized).jpg
IMG_6608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6615 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6618 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6616 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6617 (resized).jpeg
rails_paint (resized).jpg
rails (resized).jpg
p1020715 (resized).jpg
20240224_151150 (resized).jpg
20240224_151259 (resized).jpg
20240224_151254 (resized).jpg
20240224_151230 (resized).jpg
20240224_151220 (resized).jpg
20240224_151201 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 90.
#2501 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Ahahahahahaha is that a GD prairie dog?!?!

Sorry, couldn't resist doing that, it's actually a meerkat. I keep it up there to keep my granddaughter from monkeying around with my machine when I'm not around ,really creeps her out for some reason, makes me giggle. Here's some shots with the actual topper.

20200323_195637 (resized).jpg20200323_195637 (resized).jpg20200323_195308 (resized).jpg20200323_195308 (resized).jpg20200323_195647 (resized).jpg20200323_195647 (resized).jpg20200323_195322 (resized).jpg20200323_195322 (resized).jpg20200323_195446(0) (resized).jpg20200323_195446(0) (resized).jpg20200323_195541 (resized).jpg20200323_195541 (resized).jpg
#2502 4 years ago

Both are amazing for their own reasons. Lol

Looks FANTASTIC.

And again, those scores! I can't even get on the board on mine

#2503 4 years ago

Both are amazing for their own reasons. Lol
Looks FANTASTIC.
And again, those scores! I can't even get on the board on mine

Sadly, now that the machine is 100% ,I need to reset those high scores. For what it's worth, those are five ball games, and I have the spinner value set to hold over from ball to ball.

#2504 4 years ago

You cheatin a$$ MF...

#2505 4 years ago

Definitely motivated by KSUWildcatFan and Apinjunkie . I really like the purple LEDs in the few inserts and I'm totally stealing the clear/red pop bumper idea. I think Pinball Mods is out of the red tranluscent tops though, so I might have to wait on that. Hoping to hear soon about my hardtop shipment. Fingers crossed with the current situation.

In the meantime, I made a short vid about the Shuttle's landing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FreLZpjsn8_EDCf7zdQ0fRUrt4GKJRkO/view?usp=sharing

#2506 4 years ago

The red caps do look nice, not gonna lie!

Just curious, were you able to find clear pop bases (not the body, the FIRST piece you pop into the playfield)? I looked but couldn't find.. Ended up using standard white on my high speed. It's fairly hidden so long as that area is white. Otherwise... Woof.

//Edit just caught your post about painting them silver. Good idea. White hides okay on HS but I imagine it would look awful on SS

#2507 4 years ago

So then this happened... the machine is finished and all the bugs are worked out, went out to play a few games last night and this is usually where you hear the part about it won't boot or some system error but no quite the opposite. For 15 years the main cabinet speaker has not functioned in my machine. So no bass, no stereo sound but could still be played and was always a low priority. Now that I finished the Cosmetic overhaul I figured I'd tackle the sound next, turns out I didn't have to. For no reason at all the sound is back and working oh, it's as if the machine is throwing me a bone kinda saying thanks for all you've done here's one for you. I can't take credit for it but I am loving it, for now I will cross my fingers.

#2508 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

So then this happened... the machine is finished and all the bugs are worked out, went out to play a few games last night and this is usually where you hear the part about it won't boot or some system error but no quite the opposite. For 15 years the main cabinet speaker has not functioned in my machine. So no bass, no stereo sound but could still be played and was always a low priority. Now that I finished the Cosmetic overhaul I figured I'd tackle the sound next, turns out I didn't have to. For no reason at all the sound is back and working oh, it's as if the machine is throwing me a bone kinda saying thanks for all you've done here's one for you. I can't take credit for it but I am loving it, for now I will cross my fingers.

Lmao. Love it when I get surprise good news!

#2509 4 years ago

Lmao. Love it when I get surprise good news!

I had forgotten how awesome the sound is on that machine when it's working.

#2510 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I had forgotten how awesome the sound is on that machine when it's working.

Great, great sounds! I want to hook a sub up to it but mine has issues with popping when I do, especially in attract mode when it's spelling out SHUTTLE.

#2511 4 years ago

Now that the ramps are out (I ordered one), i'm going to redo my space shuttle beater (which has been great for my kids to play).
Going to also do a hard top.

Plastics are good, full led, it's getting new rubber, new red star posts, flipper parts, target decals.
Anything else surprise you guys during tear down?
I hate paying basically $10 shipping each time I forget a part.

#2512 4 years ago

My metal return guides were beat to heck. I bought new ones from Cliffy. I think some places may stock them. Removing the "thimbles" can be a pain. I just got done with my firepower and tried the dremel method to remove them and it worked great!

#2513 4 years ago

@jcar302 yes! Absolutely. I would love to see that list too. Decals for sure. Mine are BEAT.

I am getting quite a few parts. The hardtop is shipping and I ordered plastics from Marco's. But there are a lot of little things that are redundant. Does anyone have good guidance on which site gets you the most items? Action Pinball for everything? Maybe Planetary Pinball? Pinball Life? Or does everyone have to buy 3-6 items from various places?

#2514 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

@jcar302 yes! Absolutely. I would love to see that list too. Decals for sure. Mine are BEAT.
I am getting quite a few parts. The hardtop is shipping and I ordered plastics from Marco's. But there are a lot of little things that are redundant. Does anyone have good guidance on which site gets you the most items? Action Pinball for everything? Maybe Planetary Pinball? Pinball Life? Or does everyone have to buy 3-6 items from various places?

Unfortunately, it seems like for the older machines There's No One Stop Shop for all the parts, especially if you're trying to restore to original specs. If you're just putting in things that make you feel good you have a little more wiggle room. At the end of the day ,no matter how many things you order from any different company you're always going to need that one more thing you forgot about after the order has been placed. I found my set of NOS decals on eBay.

#2515 4 years ago

Your high scores... My God...

Seriously!!! Mine is on 5-ball and my high is still only 3.2M

#2516 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Seriously!!! Mine is on 5-ball and my high is still only 3.2M

I may have omitted that the extra ball frequency setting is it at the most liberal, and specials are set for extra balls as well. However you don't get the extraball lit for multiplier bonus option until your multiplier reaches what would be 8x.(gotta work for that one). Extra balls can be earned at 1200000,3500000,500000 and 7500000.keep flippen!

#2517 4 years ago

I don't think it would matter. My absolute best 3ball/default settings score is only like 1.3 lol

#2518 4 years ago

Has anyone gone all clear star posts? Have a picture to share? I saw in Vid's guide for hardtop that he went that route to allow more light throughout the playfield. @apinjunkie I see you went all blue, right? Since posts are only .49 on Pinball Life, I'm considering going to clear. Otherwise, I just have a few red posts to replace.

#2519 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Has anyone gone all clear star posts? Have a picture to share? I saw in Vid's guide for hardtop that he went that route to allow more light throughout the playfield. @apinjunkie I see you went all blue, right? Since posts are only .49 on Pinball Life, I'm considering going to clear. Otherwise, I just have a few red posts to replace.

I did go all blue but to brighten things up I added Comets Star post lites under most all of them and as a bonus I put some above the star posts,facing down under the plastics ,lightens up the play field without the need of spots which I hate. Stumbled Upon This by accident. Originally I had the star post lights under the star post nearest the flippers and it was just way too bright for my eyes
20200322_205859 (resized).jpg20200322_205859 (resized).jpg20200324_231441 (resized).jpg20200324_231441 (resized).jpg

#2520 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

the extra ball frequency setting is it at the most liberal, and specials are set for extra balls as well. However you don't get the extraball lit for multiplier bonus option until your multiplier reaches what would be 8x.(gotta work for that one). Extra balls can be earned at 1200000,3500000,500000 and 7500000.keep flippen!

Yeah that'll definitely make a difference.

Personally, I don't like the idea of rewarding an Extra Ball for a score milestone; that just further skews the high scores even further in favor of more advanced players. Since a Replay has no value in Free Play settings, your reward for a score milestone is the rush of hearing that sweet, sweet knocker and knowing you're having an awesome game!

For the Special, I have my home games set to award Points (when they can be). Think about it ... you definitely completed some specific action/sequence to earn that Special so you SHOULD get rewarded. But again, a Replay has no value in Free Play. Since there's generally a separate way to earn an extra ball, then the most logical prize in this scenario is Points.

Anyway, those are just my preferences. You do you -- go find out what happens if you roll it!

#2521 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Has anyone gone all clear star posts?

Check out @beatmaster thread on his shuttle restoration, seems to me he went with clear star posts. Either way it's the most impressive shuttle restoration I've ever seen. Very inspiring!

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

My metal return guides were beat to heck. I bought new ones from Cliffy. I think some places may stock them. Removing the "thimbles" can be a pain. I just got done with my firepower and tried the dremel method to remove them and it worked great!

What are thimbles?

#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

What are thimbles?

Probably referring to the rubber cow bells. The odd shape rubbers right by the shuttle ramp entrance. And they are a pain in the ass to pull off of there. Or the standoffs attached to the Plastics over the kickers

#2524 4 years ago

I'll give the factory preset a try over the weekend , got some time put aside just for playing and long or short game, this one is always fun and challenging.

#2525 4 years ago

New (ish) club member here. I bought the game as a project a few years ago and haven’t dug in yet but a recent abundance of free time along with ramp availability and @Apinjunkie’s recent restoration posts means I now have three big packages on the way-A new hardtop, a new black ramp with clean white shuttle, and a big box of miscellaneous from Marco!
Question regarding some parts I didn’t find at Marco. Drop Targets. What are you guys using for replacement drop targets? I know I need two different styles ( B-9534 for the single and B-8451 for the 3 bank) and that they’re red from the factory. Who has them?
And speaking of drop targets, my single drop target mechanism has a broken “reversed L bracket” coil stop (A-9548) I haven’t had any luck finding it online. Is it welder time for this?

#2526 4 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

New (ish) club member here.

Welcome aboard Art, sorry ...mr. Art. Marco's, and pinballlife are my go-to parts guys, otherwise Steve at pinball resource may have them but it seems to me he may have had to shut down with the cv thing going on. If all else fails, Zitt at pinballmods.com carries a line of translucent drop targets that look amazing when they're back lit. Wish I would have seen them before I finished my project.

#2527 4 years ago
Quoted from jcar302:

What are thimbles?

The metal cylinder type things under each of the metal in lane guides. They have a collar and are very hard to remove from the metal inlanes

#2528 4 years ago

After looking over posts from yesterday it seems like there's a lot of hardtop projects that are about to be started. I'd like to share a few things I noticed that may be helpful to those about to embark on this endeavour. First definitely take the time to check out the suggested videos that are included with the hardtop, more knowledge more better. I would also suggest putting social distancing aside the day you actually lay down the hardtop ,you're going to want that extra set of hands. One person could do this, two people could do this much easier. I noticed after test fitting the hardtop that a number of the holes were not drilled ,and there were a couple bonus holes that did not need to be there. Wait until the hardtop is installed before trying to drill out these holes , on mine there were a couple under the apron, all of the small holes around the pop bumpers, all of the holes under the right siderail, as well as the small stop-pin hole for the airlock gate. The holes around the pops were a little tricky because the artwork covered where you needed to drill , I used the pop bumper base as a template to assure the holes were in the exact position. When installing the hardtop, focus on the insert alignments more than pilot holes for screws, those can easily be dremeled out after the installation. I'll address some more of this after I tend to some domestic issues.hope this helps for now.

20200310_161059 (resized).jpg20200310_161059 (resized).jpg
#2529 4 years ago

All these great photos are pushing SS back up my list again for near-term 'want' of a game.

-Hans

#2530 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

After looking over posts from yesterday it seems like there's a lot of hardtop projects that are about to be started. I'd like to share a few things I noticed that may be helpful to those about to embark on this endeavour. First definitely take the time to check out the suggested videos that are included with the hardtop, more knowledge more better. I would also suggest putting social distancing aside the day you actually lay down the hardtop ,you're going to want that extra set of hands. One person could do this, two people could do this much easier. I noticed after test fitting the hardtop that a number of the holes were not drilled ,and there were a couple bonus holes that did not need to be there. Wait until the hardtop is installed before trying to drill out these holes , on mine there were a couple under the apron, all of the small holes around the pop bumpers, all of the holes under the right siderail, as well as the small stop-pin hole for the airlock gate. The holes around the pops were a little tricky because the artwork covered where you needed to drill , I used the pop bumper base as a template to assure the holes were in the exact position. When installing the hardtop, focus on the insert alignments more than pilot holes for screws, those can easily be dremeled out after the installation. I'll address some more of this after I tend to some domestic issues.hope this helps for now.[quoted image]

Absolutely focus on insert alignment first. Then on big openings. Then on screw holes. A Dremel can easily take care of extra material over holes as needed. I had to Dremel a small amount of material from two of my pops to get the bases to go in. No big deal.

#2531 4 years ago

Appreciating all this guidance. What about flipper rebuild kits? There is mention of "not all Space Shuttles" on some of them. Mine has the regular hot dog inserts.

I saw this one: https://www.pinballlife.com/williams-flipper-rebuild-kit-021984-to-011987.html

and on another post, someone mentioned this one: http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildk/kt-wflip-05.jpg

I don't have PB Resource for any other parts. Just wondering if the added cost of capacitors+flipper bushings+shipping is worth the overhaul. Or just get the simpler set from Pinball Life (if it's the right one). I will also be getting new coils.

#2532 4 years ago

Look up vid's guide to rebuilding flippers. There's a treasure trove of useful information there.

#2533 4 years ago

Painting after sanding? I noticed on some of the other hardtop feeds that a number of people painted around inserts after sanding, to compensate for misaligned hard tops. After test fitting it seems like there's no need for that ,as everything lines up perfectly as far as the inserts are concerned. However to appease my own OCD I decided to add black enamel around the light socket inserts. IMO it gives a more finished look in case anyone ever peeks underneath the Plastics. Also added white enamel around the USA rollover Lanes. At that time, Had I noticed the extra holes under the flipper tips, and the left ball return Lane I would have added some blue . Why are those there? Anyway, that's a fix for another day now.

20200216_215144 (resized).jpg20200216_215144 (resized).jpg20200327_090944 (resized).jpg20200327_090944 (resized).jpg20200327_090757 (resized).jpg20200327_090757 (resized).jpg20200322_205628 (resized).jpg20200322_205628 (resized).jpg20200327_091547 (resized).jpg20200327_091547 (resized).jpg
#2534 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Painting after sanding? I noticed on some of the other hardtop feeds that a number of people painted around inserts after sanding, to compensate for misaligned hard tops. After test fitting it seems like there's no need for that ,as everything lines up perfectly as far as the inserts are concerned. However to appease my own OCD I decided to add black enamel around the light socket inserts. IMO it gives a more finished look in case anyone ever peeks underneath the Plastics. Also added white enamel around the USA rollover Lanes. At that time, Had I noticed the extra holes under the flipper tips, and the left ball return Lane I would have added some blue . Why are those there? Anyway, that's a fix for another day now.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice touches as always. I managed to not outline one of my mismatched inserts on high speed and it's going to drive me nuts forever. Oh well.

#2535 4 years ago

Nice touches as always. I managed to not outline one of my mismatched inserts on high speed and it's going to drive me nuts forever. Oh well.

Always something, I got a giant dust Speck over one of mine I don't like to talk about

#2536 4 years ago

Just throwing this out there, translucent white rubbers. Figures I would see these after I just replaced all of mine with blacks. Seems to be a nice way to keep it close to the original look, while still giving the machine an upgrade. photo credit beatmaster
b40fc5b1890a039b7c49044de036fe2360f2a2b4 (resized).jpgb40fc5b1890a039b7c49044de036fe2360f2a2b4 (resized).jpg

Added over 4 years ago:

Actual photo credit TractorDoc ,that's on me.

#2537 4 years ago

Don't feel bad, I'm placing my third Marco order this month.....

#2538 4 years ago

Yeah, I'm trying to get my list organized. Apinjunkie you mentioned Comet lighting for pop bumpers earlier in this thread. Did you use the rings or discs? And did you re-wire the socket, or just eliminate it? After getting the original pop bumper lamp sockets out, I think I just need new ones.

Does anybody know which pop cap screw size to get? https://www.pinballlife.com/bumper-cap-screws.html

My current hardware is all over the place and I will probably be replacing a lot. Does anyone know the best resource for that kind of stuff?

#2539 4 years ago
Quoted from misterhare:

Yeah, I'm trying to get my list organized. apinjunkie you mentioned Comet lighting for pop bumpers earlier in this thread. Did you use the rings or discs?

I went with the disc, primarily because I already had them on hand and like the look of them,Because of that,I left the original sockets in place (bayonet Style) but if I was building them from scratch it seems most people lean towards the wedge style for pops. Honestly, I think the Rings look better and I believe they have a light on the bottom of them that would illuminate the clear bodies better. If it weren't for Budget constraints ( I'm married, and have to push everything through the committee) probably would have gone with the Rings. Wish I could help you with the screw sizes, picked mine up at a local hardware store and just went with, these look like they'll work.

#2540 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

All these great photos are pushing SS back up my list again for near-term 'want' of a game.
-Hans

Should have bought mine when you had the chance! Now it’s never leaving

#2541 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I went with the disc, primarily because I already had them on hand and like the look of them,Because of that,I left the original sockets in place (bayonet Style) but if I was building them from scratch it seems most people lean towards the bayonet style for pops. Honestly, I think the Rings look better and I believe they have a light on the bottom of them that would illuminate the clear bodies better. If it weren't for Budget constraints ( I'm married, and have to push everything through the committee) probably would have gone with the Rings. Wish I could help you with the screw sizes, picked mine up at a local hardware store and just went with, these look like they'll work.

I'm a big fan of britecaps. They're outstanding. Sadly, only in wedge. If I redo my pops on this at some point I'll go clear bodies and evos for sure.

#2542 4 years ago

Apinjunkie those holes are used to line up the flippers when you re-install them. I put a T-Pin in the hole when reinstalling the flippers.

#2543 4 years ago

Hey@ruralcollector ,you ever get that clear ramp installed?

#2544 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

apinjunkie those holes are used to line up the flippers when you re-install them. I put a T-Pin in the hole when reinstalling the flippers.

Did not know that, makes sense. Used them as a point of reference when eyeballing

#2545 4 years ago

Finally took my machine off the pavers I've had it sitting on in the back.. Got sick of constant rapid drains. Feels good to finally post some 1M+ scores.. It had been a while!

Side note: really don't like these rottendog displays. Bleh.
IMG_20200327_135102 (resized).jpgIMG_20200327_135102 (resized).jpg

IMG_20200327_162744 (resized).jpgIMG_20200327_162744 (resized).jpg
#2546 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I have this exact same issue but haven't made it a priority to resolve; looking forward to a response.

Well, I FINALLY got around to trying to eliminate the 'humming' during the attract lightshow. Some folks had reported success by tightening down the MPU and/or adding missing screws. Mine had all its screws and all were fairly snug, but I tightened them down further anyway...

No more humming.

Silly electrons! So if any of you get that humming in sync with the lightshow, just tighten those MPU screws...

#2547 4 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Well, I FINALLY got around to trying to eliminate the 'humming' during the attract lightshow. Some folks had reported success by tightening down the MPU and/or adding missing screws. Mine had all its screws and all were fairly snug, but I tightened them down further anyway...
No more humming.
Silly electrons! So if any of you get that humming in sync with the lightshow, just tighten those MPU screws...

Guess I need to do the same!

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from ruralcollector:

Should have bought mine when you had the chance! Now it’s never leaving

Lol, I wish I had the money at the time. But wanting something does not always match up with being able unfortunately.

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Lol, I wish I had the money at the time. But wanting something does not always match up with being able unfortunately.

This is why I have PayPal credit and an eBay account. Always a way around lol

#2550 4 years ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

Hey@ruralcollector ,you ever get that clear ramp installed?

Yes. But only merely to function and play. Too wrapped up in my HS project to give it my full attention. Eventually I plan to do a HT and new plastics.

Quoted from HHaase:

I’m just giving you a hard time You are wise and staying financially sound is way more important. I am glad I didn’t sell and it truly is a classic if you have a chance to pick one up!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St Charles, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff
Cabinet parts
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 4,473 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 90.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-shuttle-crew-members-club-prepare-for-liftoff/page/51?hl=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.